Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Repo Man stole Macho Man's hat because he was late on his payments. For his hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

IRS, although he was nothing special until he started teaming with Dibiase

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

jesus WEP posted:

i feel like there’s one specific loltna that maps pretty drat closely to this
Good point, I guess the even better mapping is

"[Bucks/Kenny/Cody] are the people running the company but they're not pushing themselves hard enough!"

which maps pretty closely to

"[Jarrett/Dixie Carter/Bischoff/Hogan] are the people running but they're not pushing themselves hard enough!"

Lamuella posted:

Has anyone in wrestling ever actually got over because of a gimmick about having an outside job?

(The Undertaker doesn't count)
Back in the territory days a lot of popular wrestlers were ex- or current football players, but I guess that wasn't a gimmick.

Do Dr. Wagner or Baron Von Raschke count?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

Has anyone in wrestling ever actually got over because of a gimmick about having an outside job?

Big Boss Man is an easy one, I think.

This is a pretty interesting question. I figured I'd be able to think of a handful right away but, really, most of those gimmicks fell flat a lot of the time.

Maybe we can count The Mountie, too? I guess if someone wants to get over in wrestling with an outside job gimmick, they just need to be cops.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does Dusty count in the common man gimmick

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Maybe we can count The Mountie, too?

I mean, he's handsome, he's brave, he's strong...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

The Masked Interns in the US (and copycats) and Médico Asesino was huge in Mexico and the Southwest.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Please don’t disrespect TL Hopper you cultureless swines.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lamuella posted:

Ricki Starr

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ranger Ross? He wasn't a huge star but the army Patriot thing went a long way.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching that interview 'Taker did with Austin recently, and it's just the normal old wrestlers telling stories stuff, but hearing 'Taker out of character for this long is so drat weird.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lamuella posted:

Kurt Angle

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lamuella posted:

Sgt. Slaughter?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ludwig Borga

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ole to the Undertaker: "No one will ever pay money to see you wrestle."

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
I hear Britt Baker is a dentist.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

fadmonkey posted:

I hear Britt Baker is a dentist.

We're talking about people who are over.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boss Man and Slaughter aredeffo the biggest of the "gimmick is a regular people job" group. Which makes sense because out of regular people jobs policeman or armyman are more realistically suited to hurt people than an accountant or dentist or whatever.

If Britt Baker is ever in WWE they should do some segment with Kane that winks at the Isaac yankem thing.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 20, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I can't remember, was Ray Traylor actually a correctional officer?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I can't remember, was Ray Traylor actually a correctional officer?

I seem to remember Cornette saying he was

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hello old friend

quote:

Tony Schiavone debuted, turned heel, had a job promised to him by Russo and... never showed up in TNA again (Smart man). This entire segment lasted a good ten minutes and achieved absolutely nothing. Fan signs clearly shown throughout this segment included "WHO CARES?" and "The 'Total Nonstop Action' has officially stopped".

This poo poo has aged like fine wine

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You knew that Tony was a heel now because he, one, had a beard, two, was wearing a Hawaiian shirt, and three, made fun of Paul Bearer for being fat.

Someone on these forums wasn't exaggerating when they said it might actually be the worst wrestling segment ever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My first exposure to TNA in the weekly PPV days was the AJ Styles/Jerry Lynn/Low-Ki/Psicosis 4-way elimination match for the X-Division title. I had only seen WWE at that point so this match blew my mind, so I looked up some more early TNA stuff because surely it had to be great as well!

:negative:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Every time I look at the LOLTNA file there is something new and fascinating, like the match from Destination X 2005:

Monty Brown is a hot up and coming babyface. He spends weeks getting menaced by TRYTAN, a big hoss doing a Terminator style gimmick.

A few minutes into Trytan's first (awful) match, the lights go out and Trytan disappears and in his place is an obviously different person covered head to toe in black who is identified as only "the masked man" who is immediately Pounced by Monty Brown and pinned.

quote:

TENAY: The lights went out again! How many times have we seen this when Trytan's been involved?
WEST: What's goin' on right here? What in the wor--
TENAY: There's a masked man in the ring.
WEST: I mean Monty Brown's gotta be thinking what, I just
Monty Brown easily dispatches masked man
WEST: This is ridiculous!
TENAY: He just pounced... whoever this masked guy is?
WEST: But Trytan showing just how diabolical he can be
Monty Brown pins the masked man
TENAY: Referee Rudy Charles is... gonna...
WEST: I mean you gotta count him out!
TENAY: Three count...
WEST: But Trytan finds a way to avoid THE POUNCE
TENAY: The lights go out, just as the Alpha Male is going to hit THE POUNCE
WEST: But where's Trytan?
TENAY: Monty Brown looking -- you can see the shocked look --
WEST: Aww he was so caught up in emotion and now he realizes he had him set up!
Trytan appears at the top of the ramp, smirking and laughing
TENAY: The thing is--
WEST: THIS. TRYTAN.
TENAY: Trytan, once again, stays one step ahead of the Alpha Male Monty Brown!
WEST: I tell you what, perfect timing on his part! Just as Monty Brown was getting to the inevitable... the lights go out! He's got a backup plan who takes the Pounce for him.
TENAY: The man of mystery remains even more mysterious now that we've seen him make his TNA debut!
TO THE BACK

Anyway then an hour later Monty Brown turns heel and becomes Jarrett's lackey, The Masked Man is never mentioned again and Trytan starts tagging with Simon Diamond for a couple of months before WWE signs him to a developmental deal that goes nowhere because Trytan is tall and Trytan is swole but Trytan is not good.

It would be incredible if AEW ever approached this level of dadaism.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Wasn't the masked man actually Mideon?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Max Coveri posted:

Wasn't the masked man actually Mideon?
It was, though frankly I wouldn't have known that based on his ~20 seconds or so of screen time. It was apparently his first and only TNA appearance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As I recall that was right when Monty was on the cusp of getting over as a big babyface and could potentially have been their big breakout heavyweight star (especially because the POUNCE is one of the few moves that actually works BETTER in the hexagon)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Monty Brown was loving cool. I was sad when he retired.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It does lead to fun things like Eddie murdering Rey with a powerbomb

I love how when Chris benoit wrestled Eddie he would powerbomb the utter poo poo out of Eddie

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Resident Idiot posted:

I don't care how bad Hogan and the Warrior objectively were - I marked like a six year old for that clip.

same. also just lol that the finish to the WM main event is a missed leg drop by Hogan, then the warrior just falls over on him for the 3 count.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Hogan/Warrior Mania match may well be Warrior's best work, which isn't saying much, but it played to their strengths.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are some of the "best" matches put on by the "worst" wrestlers? You just mentioned Hogan/Warrior which is a good example. I doubt, for instance, that Giant Gonzalez ever had a good match.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weird, booking wrestlers to their strengths makes them look good even if they are kind of poo poo

WWE should try that some day

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Has anyone watched any Makai? Weird music / wrestling / theatre hybrid that Hikaru Shida is involved in. It's both over the top and sincere in a way that's quite appealing. This is a part of a recent show https://youtu.be/sDvqeJdtl0w

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Lamuella posted:

Has anyone watched any Makai? Weird music / wrestling / theatre hybrid that Hikaru Shida is involved in. It's both over the top and sincere in a way that's quite appealing. This is a part of a recent show https://youtu.be/sDvqeJdtl0w

It looks like what you'd get, if Wagakki Band had wrestlers in it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some of the "best" matches put on by the "worst" wrestlers? You just mentioned Hogan/Warrior which is a good example. I doubt, for instance, that Giant Gonzalez ever had a good match.

I don't know if it's a good match but it's a hell of a compelling one: the original Shane McMahon vs. Kurt Angle street fight where Kurt just obliterates Shane for like 25 minutes at King of the Ring 2001. Unfortunately the message that Vince took from that was that Shane was a great wrestler who should be booked to be able to go toe-to-toe with all his top guys, but the match itself was incredible (and disturbing) to watch.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the best match Big Show has ever had?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if it's a good match but it's a hell of a compelling one: the original Shane McMahon vs. Kurt Angle street fight where Kurt just obliterates Shane for like 25 minutes at King of the Ring 2001. Unfortunately the message that Vince took from that was that Shane was a great wrestler who should be booked to be able to go toe-to-toe with all his top guys, but the match itself was incredible (and disturbing) to watch.

Was that the one with the glass wall spot that wouldn't break because they didn't use sugar glass, and Shane got dropped on his head multiple times with audible thuds?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

The highest rated Big Show matches from Meltzer are Booker T, Kurt Angle, Rob Van Dam, Shane McMahon & Steve Austin vs. Chris Jericho, Kane, The Big Show, The Rock & The Undertaker from Survivor Series 2001 & Dolph Ziggler, Erick Rowan, John Cena, Ryback & The Big Show vs. Kane, Luke Harper, Mark Henry, Rusev & Seth Rollins from Survivor Series 2014, both at ****1/2. Next highest is 2009 & 2011 Elimination Chambers at ****1/4. Highest rated singles is vs Roman Reigns from Extreme Rules 2015.

So I dunno, probably one of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

Da meltz puts his only 4* singles match as being a last man standing match with Roman Reigns from Extreme Rules 2015