Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

still not over brunkr though :smith: :smith: :smith:

Oof why did you have to remind me of that :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Anias posted:

I’ve said before but it bears repeating, wildbow is a misery writer. He writes what he knows and that is apparently soul crushing depression and power fantasy that ends in even darker soul eating depression.

The issue wildbow has that PracGuide (which I generally consider an example of "how action web serials should be") doesn't is that there is pretty much always increasing tension and stakes, back to back without cease. I actually think Ward is significantly better than Worm in this regard, but it still suffers from this problem. Twig also has this problem, but it sorta fits better with the setting (which is one where the main characters have literally spent their entire lives in life and death conflicts). When the twig characters are in dire situations, it's because that's normal for them (at least until the latter half, and even in that case it's not so much a constantly-escalating thing).

The reason I still like Ward more than Wandering Inn is that I just think the characters and dialogue in Wandering Inn are a lot worse, to the extent that I can't bring myself to really "buy into" them. Ward (and wildbow in general) has a lot of problems, but I think his characters are mostly good and find it interesting to read about them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

The issue wildbow has that PracGuide (which I generally consider an example of "how action web serials should be") doesn't is that there is pretty much always increasing tension and stakes, back to back without cease. I actually think Ward is significantly better than Worm in this regard, but it still suffers from this problem. Twig also has this problem, but it sorta fits better with the setting (which is one where the main characters have literally spent their entire lives in life and death conflicts). When the twig characters are in dire situations, it's because that's normal for them (at least until the latter half, and even in that case it's not so much a constantly-escalating thing).

The reason I still like Ward more than Wandering Inn is that I just think the characters and dialogue in Wandering Inn are a lot worse, to the extent that I can't bring myself to really "buy into" them. Ward (and wildbow in general) has a lot of problems, but I think his characters are mostly good and find it interesting to read about them.

Something I found oddly fascinating about Twig is that its first half or so fixed a lot of the pacing gripes that I always bring up with wildbow stories. Each arc was self-contained, started with slice of life sections, eased into action with a gradual buildup that introduced the problems and stakes, introduced a crisis or problem, brought everything to a climax, then ended with a cooldown that meandered back towards the slice of life/character-building stuff. Then the instant Sylvester left the academy it abruptly threw all of that away, and went back to the constantly-escalating miseryfest of his other works where things tended to come out of left field with very poor setup.

My best guess is that he either found proper pacing too hard to bother with, or his fanbase consisted largely of people who didn't have problems with Worm and Pact's pacing, and actively complained that Twig wasn't nonstop misery. (I'm assuming it's the latter, since the fandom's consensus on Twig seems to be "It's a great story once you get past the MOTW stuff.")

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The fanbase complained about the monster of the week part of twig, yeah.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Erin is absolutely the kind of person I would hate in real life. Actually I did know somebody that was basically her minus the competence and adding being strung out on molly constantly. Was pretty miserable to be around

eh she seems like a soft liberal that would have been 100% radicalized after trump got elected

I never know when people say this if they mean liberal in the sense of rightwing economics as the term is used in europe, or liberal in the sense of of 'left' as the term is used in the US.

Anyway, I think this is interesting because to me Erin is by far the most interesting of the crew and the one who has had the most character growth, but it's pretty clear that the author really dislikes her considering how there are constant "we must make sure she gets a club to the face" plots when people like Ryoka, Laren and Flos are walking mary sues stereotype with the depth of helium balloons.

I strongly suspect there is a very divisive discord where half the chat hates Erin's guts and the other half have slowly withered away and left the story because by now Erin is barely a tertiary character, and the author strongly identifies with the first half.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
us liberalism is european liberalism, but one half of our liberals decided to use the word liberal as a slur which is hilarious no matter how you slice it. to be a liberal is to either be a rich person who benefits from this system we live in or to be a kool aid drinker who pretends it benefits them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway erin is one of my favorite characters. dont read too much into that. they would just be exhausting to deal with if it wasnt two chapters a week, you know?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

still not over brunkr though :smith: :smith: :smith:

I admit that totally came out of nowhere, considering the whole 'redemption' arc he had going and everything finally working out for him.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Arkeus posted:

I never know when people say this if they mean liberal in the sense of rightwing economics as the term is used in europe, or liberal in the sense of of 'left' as the term is used in the US.

Anyway, I think this is interesting because to me Erin is by far the most interesting of the crew and the one who has had the most character growth, but it's pretty clear that the author really dislikes her considering how there are constant "we must make sure she gets a club to the face" plots when people like Ryoka, Laren and Flos are walking mary sues stereotype with the depth of helium balloons.

I strongly suspect there is a very divisive discord where half the chat hates Erin's guts and the other half have slowly withered away and left the story because by now Erin is barely a tertiary character, and the author strongly identifies with the first half.

I haven't totally caught up yet but I don't really feel that the author hates Erin, I more feel like she's trying to balance the fact that Erin is almost too idealistic for reality - and that while she can sometimes force it through and make things work out, a bubbly personality and food and friendship can't fix all the problems in the world and sometimes that sucks and sometimes it backfires and hurts her - but all the times it does work out means that her attempts at making the world a better place were worth it.

I also don't mind how much time it spends on side stories when i'm reading it all at once instead of on a week-by-week basis. Most of them seem like plots that are heading in the direction of interacting with Erin and/or Ryoka, or are events that are a chain reaction from the actions of Erin and Ryoka. She's sort of a catalyst of change - and having the change often happen in places other than Liscor makes the world feel like a slightly more real place.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Katalepsis: :ohdear:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That is certainly quite the cliffhanger ending!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI 6.65 patreon: jesus christ everyone's hosed

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Well, everything sure went sideways fast.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
pirateaba said she only had 4k words finished yesterday. So she wrote 24,000 words today :stare:

also she rewrote Calruz's charge to be much cooler

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I am going to take this as a sign that I'm doing this right.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:stare: :piss:

Everything is already hosed and we haven't even seen the Necromancer or Toren or any number of other absolutely hosed things get involved yet. Goddamn, pirateaba...

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

Thanks for the most depressing 10 minutes of my Saturday! (Seriously tho, thanks for writing the fun thing- Dumpster Fire Roommates has consistently been my favorite serial since MoL wrapped up and WoC got weird. :) )

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Hungry posted:

This next chapter is going to be very good, and likely crush my soul like a depressurized tin can

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TWI: the Horns holding the line and leading the charge. Just like old times. . I'm loving vibrating waiting for the new chapter holy poo poo.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Larry Parrish posted:

TWI: the Horns holding the line and leading the charge. Just like old times. . I'm loving vibrating waiting for the new chapter holy poo poo.

For the love of god please tell me there isn't going to be a delay due to Christmas (not that Pirateaba doesn't deserve a break but I might literally die with anticipation if I have to wait)

Also - How likely is it that Ijvani saved the Horns before help arrived and/or Az'kerash is caught somehow helping them and someone (Grimalkin most likely) figures out the connection.

Uldor fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 24, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Uldor posted:

For the love of god please tell me there isn't going to be a delay due to Christmas (not that Piratebea doesn't deserve a break but I might literally die with anticipation if I have to wait)

Also - How likely is it that Ijvani saved the Horns before help arrived and/or Az'kerash is caught somehow helping them and someone (Grimalkin most likely) figures out the connection.

They said no break until the end of the volume, which is ridiculous.

Pretty likely as otherwise they should be dead. If they aren't there's going to be questions about what happened.

Have the crelers always been the demons from Rhir? Or are they suppose to be evicting the demons and Antium?

Edit: whoops, fixed the pronoun to be neutral, sorry for getting that wrong

asur fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 25, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

asur posted:

He said no break until the end of the volume, which is ridiculous.

She

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

asur posted:

He said no break until the end of the volume, which is ridiculous.

Pretty likely as otherwise they should be dead. If they aren't there's going to be questions about what happened.

Have the crelers always been the demons from Rhir? Or are they suppose to be evicting the demons and Antium?

One of several blights from Rhir. The demons are just the current one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Or they. IIRC Pirateaba has declined to specify a pronoun or reveal their gender. A lot of people use 'she' because they're inferring based on the content and writing style.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cicero posted:

Or they. IIRC Pirateaba has declined to specify a pronoun or reveal their gender. A lot of people use 'she' because they're inferring based on the content and writing style.

i could've sworn that the april fools chapter said aba was a she, but going back and reading it makes it way more ambiguous. my apologies!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i get a she vibe

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I kind of think that (twi) the emphasis on the time is opening the door for a Bites the Dust style level 40 skill.

Also Patreon chapter release is in 20 minutes, pirateaba is using test readers for this chapter

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I kind of think that (twi) the emphasis on the time is opening the door for a Bites the Dust style level 40 skill.

Also Patreon chapter release is in 20 minutes, pirateaba is using test readers for this chapter

I am extremely down for timey wimey JoJo bullshit in TWI.

Alternatively, knowing pirateaba, she could level up and get a super awesome powerful skill... That would have been useful a few hours ago when a whole bunch of her friends died. :shepicide:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Something I found oddly fascinating about Twig is that its first half or so fixed a lot of the pacing gripes that I always bring up with wildbow stories. Each arc was self-contained, started with slice of life sections, eased into action with a gradual buildup that introduced the problems and stakes, introduced a crisis or problem, brought everything to a climax, then ended with a cooldown that meandered back towards the slice of life/character-building stuff. Then the instant Sylvester left the academy it abruptly threw all of that away, and went back to the constantly-escalating miseryfest of his other works where things tended to come out of left field with very poor setup.

My best guess is that he either found proper pacing too hard to bother with, or his fanbase consisted largely of people who didn't have problems with Worm and Pact's pacing, and actively complained that Twig wasn't nonstop misery. (I'm assuming it's the latter, since the fandom's consensus on Twig seems to be "It's a great story once you get past the MOTW stuff.")

Every interlude in the first half of Twig is set up for the rebellion in general and the events of the second half in particular. Like, it was all pretty clearly and firmly foreshadowed, none of it really came out of left field. The arcs in the second half are also less self contained (and especially towards the back half definitely get messy) but they are certainly still focused around specific events. The second half is definitely weaker than the first half tho.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
holy loving poo poo TWI 6.66

hoky ffucking poo poo

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So, wait for Sunday to catch up to TWI is a good time then?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

holy loving poo poo TWI 6.66

hoky ffucking poo poo

need a :tviv: but with a book

congratulations to freeloaders, you'll get this chapter tomorrow

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Lone Goat posted:

need a :tviv: but with a book

congratulations to freeloaders, you'll get this chapter tomorrow

Tomorrow? Is there a different update schedule this week?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Argue posted:

Tomorrow? Is there a different update schedule this week?

aba says in 6.66's comments, that the patreon chapter will be released for free on xmas, but that means there's nothing free on saturday (next patreon chapter will release saturday as normal, i think)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TWI 6.66: There are no pants large enough to contain the balls of the Warrior known as Tommie.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What a loving chapter. Holy poo poo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

And people say nothing happens in TWI, bullshit.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
After having giving in and finally starting TWI again after bouncing off the relatively sloppy first few chapters a year or so ago, I finally caught up just now. What a chapter to finish on. I had to frigging buy a patreon subscription on the spot just to resolve that cliffhanger. Worth it. :psyduck:

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 25, 2019

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

6.66h just unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nettle Soup posted:

6.66h just unlocked.
Hail Satan and if anyone I care about dies I'll be mad.