Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Does rerolling room rewards ever add or remove the "hard skull" modifier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BTW I figured it out from yesterday. To use the Titan Blood on a weapon you have to unlock all 5 weapons first, then die. I hadn't unlocked the railgun yet because I was spending keys on mirror upgrades.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:laffo: So on my last win I think the (current) last boss made a cheeky comment that basically said "well if more people bought the game / we had more manpower/money the whole game would've been finished already" .

I've only had a few wins but did quite a few runs and I've yet to unlock my LT trigger skill. I guess I just have to talk to people and hand them more booze?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mindblast posted:

:laffo: So on my last win I think the (current) last boss made a cheeky comment that basically said "well if more people bought the game / we had more manpower/money the whole game would've been finished already" .

I really like how they refer to Early Access ingame.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Had my first victory! Exagryph with inescapable blast and the rapid fire/+ammo daedalus upgrades, doom on attack with dire misfortune (+ doom damage on multiple triggers), deflect dash, and shatter shot because its the best cast option.

That said, it took me 30-ish runs to finally get there. I'm not great at this game, no matter how much I love it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I had a run yesterday with the Zeus/Artemis duo that makes dropped cast shards into AoE lightning storms, as well as bonus lightning hits and fun stuff like that. Nearly died in the arena because three were just sitting next to Theseus triggering his second phase earlier than I was prepared for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my recommendation is to go after hermes as often as possible, solely so you can get the boon that adds additional dashes

even one extra dash will give you a tremendous amount of extra breathing room

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Oxxidation posted:

my recommendation is to go after hermes as often as possible, solely so you can get the boon that adds additional dashes

even one extra dash will give you a tremendous amount of extra breathing room
yeah you can never go wrong wtih more hermes. there's a reason why the end-level has a shop where hermes is there but it's always 400 bucks and there's no keepsake to start with a hermes boon. sucks getting dat chaos gate right in front of a hermes exit.

is it just me or does Athena/Aphrodite appear way more than any other gods, followed by Zeus? I feel I rarely see Dionysus/Ares/Artemis/Poseidon

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Xaris posted:

is it just me or does Athena/Aphrodite appear way more than any other gods, followed by Zeus? I feel I rarely see Dionysus/Ares/Artemis/Poseidon
Wanna say it's on you(r pRNG results), since I've gone like a dozen runs without a Zeus/Athena showing up more than once by the last biome but I frequently have Poseidon/Dionysus/Ares popping up.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
What do you think are the odds that Hades will get workshop/mod support? That really is the deciding factor between getting it cheap on Epic or Steam.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

I had a run yesterday with the Zeus/Artemis duo that makes dropped cast shards into AoE lightning storms, as well as bonus lightning hits and fun stuff like that. Nearly died in the arena because three were just sitting next to Theseus triggering his second phase earlier than I was prepared for.

Yeah, that's the downside to having a build go crazy with passive damage, it's almost certainly going to send Theseus crying to Olympus before you're ready.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
How does the RNG work anyway? It seems like it's determined before you even leave the house, since quitting a run and starting over will give you the same exact choices. I dunno if it works across weapons, but it definitely happened to me when restarting runs with the same one.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Wahad posted:

That said, it took me 30-ish runs to finally get there. I'm not great at this game, no matter how much I love it.

Same, took me about 25 runs and a very lucky streak of Artemis boons (cast buff, secondary after casting, extra casts all epic or above, + a bunch of others). No idea what I had as a weapon, I don't think I ever used it.

Does the railgun rocket upgrade work with the Eris aspect?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Playing around with this some more, one thing that's really been irking me is how much invulnerability stuff the bosses get. It's not uncommon to pop off a Zeus Call or something and whoops, the boss just entered an invulnerability phase, seems like you're about to waste half of it.
I know it's gated by boss health thresholds, but still. It's annoying having to keep track off.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Broken Cog posted:

Playing around with this some more, one thing that's really been irking me is how much invulnerability stuff the bosses get. It's not uncommon to pop off a Zeus Call or something and whoops, the boss just entered an invulnerability phase, seems like you're about to waste half of it.
I know it's gated by boss health thresholds, but still. It's annoying having to keep track off.

I think it’s a band-aid to fix some of the boss scripting. It used to be pretty easy to skip boss phases entirely with some well-timed burst damage, especially on the Hydra.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Is the solution to just let people womp bosses in a matter of seconds if they've got the right build and/or Darkness level? I wouldn't think people would mind that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Does the game sometimes pre-determine that a particular run is going to be more or less difficulty/bountiful/whatever? One of my runs yesterday felt like the game had flipped to some kind of "gently caress you" mode. I didn't get a single colored boon the entire run, only white, which I don't think I've ever seen happen before. Also, the projectile enemies seemed to fire a lot more projectiles at once. The whole run took about 10-15 minutes longer than usual and felt a bit bullet-hell-ish moreso than the other runs. The Barge of Death was a little bit absurd. Oddly enough I actually got further than I ever did before (got the second phase of the final boss down to about 25%), but I think that might be because I finally got enough darkness to unlock the third death defiance charge. My loadout wasn't terrible (rail with poison-inducing rocket launcher special and blade rift on both cast and dash) but since I had the common versions of all the powers, it just felt a bit underpowered and I had to chip most things to death.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I feel so much better about the rail after swapping reload to LT, Summon to LB, and codex to R3

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i put reload on LB and codex on L3 and haven't had any issues

cleared all weapons at 1 heat yesterday and starting to think i should put this game in the cooler so that i don't totally exhaust it before early access is done

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Volte posted:

Does the game sometimes pre-determine that a particular run is going to be more or less difficulty/bountiful/whatever? One of my runs yesterday felt like the game had flipped to some kind of "gently caress you" mode. I didn't get a single colored boon the entire run, only white, which I don't think I've ever seen happen before. Also, the projectile enemies seemed to fire a lot more projectiles at once. The whole run took about 10-15 minutes longer than usual and felt a bit bullet-hell-ish moreso than the other runs. The Barge of Death was a little bit absurd. Oddly enough I actually got further than I ever did before (got the second phase of the final boss down to about 25%), but I think that might be because I finally got enough darkness to unlock the third death defiance charge. My loadout wasn't terrible (rail with poison-inducing rocket launcher special and blade rift on both cast and dash) but since I had the common versions of all the powers, it just felt a bit underpowered and I had to chip most things to death.

In a random system, seemingly unlikely occurrences happen all the time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

In a random system, seemingly unlikely occurrences happen all the time.
It was mainly that the run took 45 minutes when normally it's about 25-35 at most which makes it feel like an outlier. Not getting a single non-white boon felt like it might have been some random restriction on the run. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

It was mainly that the run took 45 minutes when normally it's about 25-35 at most which makes it feel like an outlier. Not getting a single non-white boon felt like it might have been some random restriction on the run. :shrug:

Outliers happen in random systems all the time too

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
prolonged exposure to RNG may result in superstitious behavior, delusions, and a vehement hatred of dice

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hm, I just unlocked weapon aspects for the first time. What's the best way to spend my initial few resources?

I haven't beat the end boss (or what I assume is the end boss) yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gort posted:

Hm, I just unlocked weapon aspects for the first time. What's the best way to spend my initial few resources?

I haven't beat the end boss (or what I assume is the end boss) yet.

if you've maxed out your bloodstone ammo then the Hera Bow is the most broken weapon by far. being able to load and fire your ammo (with the Power Shot boost, natch) sets up insane synergies with many of the Cast-related Boons, especially if Artemis is involved

the Chaos Shield also cleans house if you have some decent Special-boosting Boons (i got one from Zeus that made lightning strike on impact and was clearing rooms in seconds all the way up to Elysium)

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Poseidon's sword is usually stronger than hera's bow, but slightly more dangerous to use as you need to get close to the enemy slightly more often. It also scales better with a massive +50% cast damage at max rank. Also Hera's bow might be buggy right now according to the rest of the thread?
And yeah, can't go wrong with the Chaos Shield, it's just a very well rounded weapon and you can't really get a bad run with it if you build it properly.

In other news, turns out getting Athena's dash as your first boon is pretty good.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
The advantage Hera's bow has is twofold. One is you can stack the casts for a burst that you can't do with regular casts without the Hermes speed buff, and you can prep it while dodging and fire it off much quicker than the cast animation.

The second is more subtle, but the casts only deploy once the arrow hits the target. That means for things like Ares blade rifts they travel directly to the target and then start spinning, which lets you rift people from a greater distance.

The sword damage boost is definitely nice, and that plus being able to special to get them back is stronger than the reduced timer the bow gets. Unless the safety of the bow is part of it, I think they could use a little something to make them stand apart, right now they kind of occupy the same niche.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 23, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eraflure posted:

And yeah, can't go wrong with the Chaos Shield, it's just a very well rounded weapon and you can't really get a bad run with it if you build it properly.

I see what you did there.

Athena's dash is my favorite. Being able to deflect quickly and taking a good chunk of the risk out of dashing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm glad the devs are aware of it, but wow does the Unhealthy Fixation bug suck. From 225 life to 40 in a single hit!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Currently in a run with Hera bow, Burst Shot, Athena's Cast and Artemis' legendary (and a few Well trinkets) so with 7 bloodstones, each shot (Sniper Shot and Enhance Power Shot) means I'm firing what amount to be, tactical nukes. This is by a wide margin the most broken run I've ever had and I love it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is Athena's a good choice for a cast-focused build?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

tazman posted:

Currently in a run with Hera bow, Burst Shot, Athena's Cast and Artemis' legendary (and a few Well trinkets) so with 7 bloodstones, each shot (Sniper Shot and Enhance Power Shot) means I'm firing what amount to be, tactical nukes. This is by a wide margin the most broken run I've ever had and I love it.

yeah hera bow is disgusting once it gets going
only non absolutely-trivial thing in the run is those rooms in the last zone with millions of tiny rats and you can build around that.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
So I've finished two runs with the Adamant Rail, and now am stuck with some bad choices in what i put Titan blood into, for the life of me I can't finish a run with anything else and the only time I finished with the rail was the triple bomb. I really wish they would let you respec your Titan's blood out of weapons cause its super annoying that I can't farm anymore without clearing more with other weapons now. Like what are some good combos for the sword even or just about anything I always end up at the end with very poor final boss killing damage and its super frustrating.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Destro posted:

So I've finished two runs with the Adamant Rail, and now am stuck with some bad choices in what i put Titan blood into, for the life of me I can't finish a run with anything else and the only time I finished with the rail was the triple bomb. I really wish they would let you respec your Titan's blood out of weapons cause its super annoying that I can't farm anymore without clearing more with other weapons now. Like what are some good combos for the sword even or just about anything I always end up at the end with very poor final boss killing damage and its super frustrating.

Add 1 heat and beat Fury boss with each of the weapons for 5 more blood

Use the spear special and keep trying until you get "bounces to 7 enemies with bonus damage"

Sword: my best non-Poseidon run I also specialized hard into special with I think doom on attack. Special was faster, hit twice no knockback, I used deflect but anything that doesn't knockback will work, you want enemies to stay still while you whale on the ground.

I think weak is one of the best effects in the game if you're not able to read all of the enemies all the time yet.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 24, 2019

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Destro posted:

How reliably can you get up to the the last area? And can you do it without buying anything from Charon? Because the last shop frequently has Titan Blood for sale at 1500 gold or a diamond for 1000 that you can use to trade up from the broker back home, this way you only need to make it past Elysium and are free to just die to the final boss while still amassing blood without swapping weapons or turning up heat.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

A Cup of Ramen posted:

How reliably can you get up to the the last area? And can you do it without buying anything from Charon? Because the last shop frequently has Titan Blood for sale at 1500 gold or a diamond for 1000 that you can use to trade up from the broker back home, this way you only need to make it past Elysium and are free to just die to the final boss while still amassing blood without swapping weapons or turning up heat.

Yeah I guess I could do that, wish there was just a console command or something to refund it all.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Destro posted:

Stygius has a decently fast hit rate, so one nice combo is Zeus/Poseidon with maybe a splash of Ares to get his duo combo with Zeus. The ideal is getting Poseidon's attack upgrades (e.g. Tempest Strike and Tidal Dash are typically going to proc fastest... you do need one Zeus attack for the Zeus/Poseidon duo, so you could go for the special or cast replacements as you won't want to use the slower attacks as often on this build), Flurry Slash from a Daedalus Hammer, and hopefully extra dashes and attack speed increase from Hermes. You'll really want Zeus's legendary, and Double Strike is the perfect second tier power to get there. (A good secondary track on this build is getting Zeus's Aid for your Call and stuff like Billowing Strength and/or the god gauge enhancers, but it's not the bread and butter.)

It's only one possibility, but it works fine with Zagreus Aspect without a single Titan Blood.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Hogama posted:

Stygius has a decently fast hit rate, so one nice combo is Zeus/Poseidon with maybe a splash of Ares to get his duo combo with Zeus. The ideal is getting Poseidon's attack upgrades (e.g. Tempest Strike and Tidal Dash are typically going to proc fastest... you do need one Zeus attack for the Zeus/Poseidon duo, so you could go for the special or cast replacements as you won't want to use the slower attacks as often on this build), Flurry Slash from a Daedalus Hammer, and hopefully extra dashes and attack speed increase from Hermes. You'll really want Zeus's legendary, and Double Strike is the perfect second tier power to get there. (A good secondary track on this build is getting Zeus's Aid for your Call and stuff like Billowing Strength and/or the god gauge enhancers, but it's not the bread and butter.)

It's only one possibility, but it works fine with Zagreus Aspect without a single Titan Blood.

Just kinda tried this i did get the tempest strike and flurry strike and zeus cast, but that left me doing 38 damage a hit at hydra which was just painful. Just seems like this is how most of my runs go.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Destro posted:

Just kinda tried this i did get the tempest strike and flurry strike and zeus cast, but that left me doing 38 damage a hit at hydra which was just painful. Just seems like this is how most of my runs go.
Yeah, a downside of this build is that it's also fairly RNG dependant and takes some time to assemble the voltron. Maybe the godly keepsakes can help since you can swap between biomes. Also also maybe Chaos will take pity and offer some damage buffs along the way. And Charon's shop might help, too.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
If you switch out the keepsakes that give you the speed/damage boost (Pierced Butterfly is one but can't remember the other at the moment) do you keep whatever bonus you've earned up to that point? Also, do Olympian keepsakes 'reset' between acts, e.g. if I start with Artemis can I force a second boon from her at the start of Asphodel if I just don't switch out of it?

I'm guessing the answers are no and no...