Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

evilweasel posted:

i enjoy the explanation they gave:

quote:

Mind's Desire
Although we prefer for a new card to be "proven" in a format before we ban or restrict it, testing has shown that multiple copies of this Scourge card can quickly lead to degenerate game states. With four copies of Mind's Desire, a player would be able to play every card in his or her deck on the same turn without too much difficulty.
how did the card see print without being tested as a four-of at least they noticed at some point between being sent to the printer and getting sold
This is so sick to me because I've only ever played Mind's Desire as a cube card, so always a one of. The idea had never occurred to me of flipping a Mind's Desire with a Mind's Desire. Clearly it hadn't crossed the minds of WotC either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've got a question between the different wordings on Robber of the Rich and Thief of Sanity .

Robber says: you may cast that card and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
Thief says: you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.

Any actual rule difference between what these mean? Does it mean that Robber's ability can't create colorless mana, while Theif's can?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

I've got a question between the different wordings on Robber of the Rich and Thief of Sanity .

Robber says: you may cast that card and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
Thief says: you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.

Any actual rule difference between what these mean? Does it mean that Robber's ability can't create colorless mana, while Theif's can?

I'd interpret the difference to be that, and that Thief lets you spend mana as if it were snow mana. I would not be surprised to realize WotC didn't notice a difference in the wording and this was entirely unintentional. The gatherer rulings don't seem to say anything on the subject which makes me suspect that it's a complete accident.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

evilweasel posted:

I'd interpret the difference to be that, and that Thief lets you spend mana as if it were snow mana. I would not be surprised to realize WotC didn't notice a difference in the wording and this was entirely unintentional. The gatherer rulings don't seem to say anything on the subject which makes me suspect that it's a complete accident.

I was thinking it's an accident as well. I didn't look it up in the rules though because I figured that, if it was handled in the rules, it'd be an implied rule based upon the interaction of several other rules. And I don't have the rules skills to interpret that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

Colorless is a type and not a color. Snow is neither type nor color, so neither card can cast snow cards without snow mana sources.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

I was thinking it's an accident as well. I didn't look it up in the rules though because I figured that, if it was handled in the rules, it'd be an implied rule based upon the interaction of several other rules. And I don't have the rules skills to interpret that.

It is handled in the rules and it's actually pretty straightforward:

Comprehensive Rules posted:

106. Mana
106.1. Mana is the primary resource in the game. Players spend mana to pay costs, usually when casting spells and activating abilities.
106.1a There are five colors of mana: white, blue, black, red, and green.
106.1b There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless.

Edit: Welp, beaten.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

Colorless is a type and not a color. Snow is neither type nor color, so neither card can cast snow cards without snow mana sources.

huh so it is

quote:

107.4h The snow mana symbol {S} represents one mana in a cost. This mana can be paid with one mana of any type produced by a snow permanent (see rule 205.4g). Effects that reduce the amount of generic mana you pay don’t affect {S} costs. Snow is neither a color nor a type of mana.

that is...not intuitive

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

evilweasel posted:

Looks like the key difference between "Type" and "color" is colorless rather than Snow. See:

quote:

106.1a There are five colors of mana: white, blue, black, red, and green.
106.1b There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless.

So does this mean that the Robber ("color") couldn't steal a Thought-Knot Seer and Thief ("type") could?

Edit: Beaten soundly. That's what I get for checking all the verbiage.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thief would probably let you cast spells that require colorless mana where robber wouldn't, at least in an eternal format

Beaten like a dead 3/3 elk

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Thanks, everyone. That's pretty definitive.

Also, snow mana is weird.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Grifter posted:

This is so sick to me because I've only ever played Mind's Desire as a cube card, so always a one of. The idea had never occurred to me of flipping a Mind's Desire with a Mind's Desire. Clearly it hadn't crossed the minds of WotC either.

I had a commander deck that had possibility storm, knowledge pool, and mind's desire.

My record castings of mind's desire off mind's desire is 4.

Turns out the ability to dump your graveyard into your library with other cards mind's desire can resolve for you is kind of nuts.

I achieved the end goal of the original intent of EDH.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 20, 2019

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I Desired for 41 in Zur Doomsday once. It was ok. I could have done it 2 more times with Remand and Yawgmoth's Will but my library was empty.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/DevotedDruid/status/1208156505360482309

:discourse:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

nice

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

:perfect:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:nice:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Grifter posted:

Looks like the key difference between "Type" and "color" is colorless rather than Snow. See:

So does this mean that the Robber ("color") couldn't steal a Thought-Knot Seer and Thief ("type") could?

Edit: Beaten soundly. That's what I get for checking all the verbiage.

Robber still lets you steal it, because colorless can be from any colored mana, so you can just use your regular mana.

Like, if all I have is 4 red mana, and I steal a card that (3)(B), I tap four mountains. 3 of them apply to the colorless, one pretends it's black.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Robber still lets you steal it, because colorless can be from any colored mana, so you can just use your regular mana.

Like, if all I have is 4 red mana, and I steal a card that (3)(B), I tap four mountains. 3 of them apply to the colorless, one pretends it's black.

Phoneposting, and I don't remember the smilie code, but :actually: that's generic mana, colorless is a different symbol :actually:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh, okay. I pretty much only play standard, but I guess that explains the comments about "eternal formats" earlier.

NEVERMIND THEN!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Oh, okay. I pretty much only play standard, but I guess that explains the comments about "eternal formats" earlier.

NEVERMIND THEN!

Yeah. Colorless and generic were a distinction that was always there, but didn't matter in the least. Then WotC decided to make it matter for 15 cards 5 years ago, and here we are.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

It's deleted. What happened?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not deleted, it's protected, probably because she got a whole bunch of shitheads in her replies for posting a picture of a island with "ACAB" written on it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All
Counters
Are
Bullshit

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
RIP Veil of Summer 2019-2019 you were too pure for this world

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Wrong thread.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think its about time someone finally said it. if you've ever had a card counterspelled you are a bad player who didn't deserve to resolve your spell

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Anyone go to GP Portland?

Didn’t play in the main - turnout wasn’t great for the main, but there were a lot of people in all the side events and the hall was pretty packed all day. Mystery Booster drafts were selling out well before the GP closed doors for the day each day - Sunday was sold out by 1pm, I think. CFB collected $12k in three hours on those drafts alone.

Did two pioneer side events and got the two wins / split each time. I played against UR Phoenix, RW Heroic, GR Aggro, and GB Scales. Format is great and a lot of fun.

Also - if you go to one of the GPs make sure you have all of your stuff before you leave the table, ended up calling judges for forgotten deck boxes (twice), jackets, and a cellphone.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

i think its about time someone finally said it. if you've ever had a card counterspelled you are a bad player who didn't deserve to resolve your spell
It was probably a lousy spell in the first place.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

It was probably a lousy spell in the first place.

The spell belongs in the trash, and your opponent helped you put it there.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Dehtraen posted:

Also - if you go to one of the GPs make sure you have all of your stuff before you leave the table, ended up calling judges for forgotten deck boxes (twice), jackets, and a cellphone.

Jesus, I’m more paranoid than this at an FNM where I know most people, let alone a GP where I know hardly know no one, and glue my knapsack on my back.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sometimes stupid ideas in limited pay off:

God I love war of the spark limited

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap manse danse revolution list? I've ended up with three copies and with theros apparently being enchantment heavy maybe I'll have a go at a standard deck that isn't token based.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Samael posted:

Sometimes stupid ideas in limited pay off:

God I love war of the spark limited

That deck looks busted other than the Grazer, which should be a 17th land because you're not going to lose to flood with that much power and you don't need the ramp, you'll lose to screw way more often. Hitting land drops is good.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Hellsau posted:

That deck looks busted other than the Grazer, which should be a 17th land because you're not going to lose to flood with that much power and you don't need the ramp, you'll lose to screw way more often. Hitting land drops is good.

Thanks for the tip, I got p1 p1 nicol bolas into elderspell so the idea was to make a deck about those two and it ended up like this.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Dehtraen posted:

Anyone go to GP Portland?

I went and had a good time. Couldn’t make it out Friday but I played the main event, 4-4ed and cut day one. I was surprised how the day was filled with just those matches. I played jund sacrifice. My games were mostly good, lost the mirror match, got stomped by a fires deck. Otherwise held out alright, didn’t kick myself over too many judgement calls. Two of my lost matches went to game three at least. A guy from my flgs ended up winning the whole thing. Memorable experience, I was super fatigued at the end of the day though. The byes seem p important.

On Sunday I was slow getting to the hall but instantly jumped in line for the mystery boosters. I was in the literal last pod that fired. Didn’t open anything too super crazy. Gitrog, a beholder test card. Managed to get it on the table twice and it won a game for me but I couldn’t close out game three of the first match. Wish I could have made it out Friday to draft more mystery boosters they were fun to open.

Spent the rest of the day playing commander pick up games before heading home since I haven’t been able to find a playgroup. Both were mildly frustrating experiences but I’m trying to learn the format better and make incremental improvements. One pod though fell apart p quick because three degenerate decks ran into each other, one guy dropped instantly and then the rest of it was done. Waited probably three times longer for the pod to fire than the game lasted.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yiggy posted:

Spent the rest of the day playing commander pick up games before heading home since I haven’t been able to find a playgroup. Both were mildly frustrating experiences but I’m trying to learn the format better and make incremental improvements. One pod though fell apart p quick because three degenerate decks ran into each other, one guy dropped instantly and then the rest of it was done. Waited probably three times longer for the pod to fire than the game lasted.

I find it helps to get a feel for the decks people are playing before you jump in so you don't accidentally waste 3 hours of your life in a grindfest. You can literally just ask "What Commander? Is it group-huggy? You running things like Winter Orb or Blood Moon?" and most people will be surprisingly candid IME.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap manse danse revolution list? I've ended up with three copies and with theros apparently being enchantment heavy maybe I'll have a go at a standard deck that isn't token based.

What do you mean by cheap? The deck operates on quite a number of rares that can't really be replaced.

Here's a list to kick things off:

2 Murderous Rider
4 Guild Globe
4 Golden Egg
2 Mortify
3 Kaya's Wrath
2 Cry of the Carnarium
2 Thought Erasure
3 Dance of the Manse
4 Doom Foretold
4 Oath of Kaya
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General
4 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 Castle Locthwain
1 Castle Vantress
1 Castle Ardenvale
3 Fabled Passage
3 Temple of Silence
3 Godless Shrine
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Watery Grave
2 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Island
Sideboard
2 The Elderspell
2 Noxious Grasp
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
3 Dovin's Veto
2 Duress
2 Devout Decree
1 Ugin, the Ineffable
1 Kaya's Wrath

You can probably get rid of Lili and add in a thought erasure.

Other than that though, you can probably add another thought erasure and get rid of a rider, but that's about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
lol. I just ran into Brian David-Marshall and Gavin Verhey at a curry joint in K-town. (New York)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

we getting spoilers today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

we getting spoilers today?

Yeah looks like there will be something starting today according to this