Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Vampires are soulless husks that fool themselves into thinking they're still human. Ghouls are people who opt in to monstrousness for a fix of that good poo poo. Spit on them.

Everyone posted:

Is there a polite term for "crack whore?" Is there a polite terms for somebody so utterly lost to addiction that they'll let you do the vilest, most awful things to their body, even sell their own children, for one more hit?
Compassion checks y'all, I imagine the majority of ghouls did not become ghouls out of a rational desire to suck out dracula juice to get some secondhand immortality. At best the authoring vampire was trying to be helpful or save someone's life with an infusion of vampire blood. That's pretty much the best case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Note that the books mention repeatedly most ghouls are first fed vitae either without knowing or against their will. After which your judgement is deeply impaired.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 23, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Servitor is used to refer to ghouls in V20 at least, probably elsewhere also. Apprentice in Tremere circles.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Apparently the v5 relationship is regnant and thrall (edit: though maybe that's referring to bonds regardless of ghoul status?I dunno.)

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

So the Memento Mori supplement for Geist 2ed dropped, and it's got two new spook powers, Void and Well. They're based around Underworld features; Well has you pulling from the Rivers and Ocean of Fragments to do some memory trading, and at the highest level you can essentially respec other characters with enough Plasm. Void is...well...

The Void Condition, because everything has to be a condition posted:

You have welcomed a kernel of the Void into yourself,
encysted in Plasm, and now you’ve coaxed it to wakefulness
and set it loose. You’re surrounded by a void-wake,
a halo of ever-expanding darkness. Whatever light there
was is fading fast, and you can feel solid objects crumble
beneath your fingers. What have you done?

Effects
• All characters (including the Sin-Eater herself) within
the area of effect are Blinded (Geist: The Sin Eaters
Second Edition, p. 292).
• The Sin-Eater’s attacks ignore one point of Durability
per dot in Void. Other characters’ attacks made within
the area of effect ignore half that amount, rounded
up. Reduce Armor by the relevant amount for each
attack.

Possible Sources
• The Void Haunt.

Resolution
• You’re confronted with your Geist’s Ban or Bane.
• You damage something, or injure someone, important
to you.

Which, like Well, has a caster-specific 'gently caress-you' condition for if the roll goes bad (because these are Very Bad Spooky Powers), along with a way worse one.

Void Storm, the least worst one posted:

You’ve awoken a kernel of the Void, and you’ve done it
just a little too well. It’s gushing out of you like an arterial
wound, and the world around you takes the brunt of this
catastrophic leak. Essential energies are snuffed out, and
complex machines malfunction almost immediately.

Effects
• Any source of damage within the area of effect that is energetic
in nature (fires, electricity, etc) is reduced by one step
in terms of size and/or intensity, whichever is applicable.
• Electrical devices (such as computers, mobile phones, or
pacemakers) within the area of effect cease to function.
Extended exposure drains batteries dry and may permanently
damage the device, at Storyteller discretion.

Possible Sources
• Failing a roll to activate a Void Haunt.

Resolution
• Inconvenience friends or allies at a pivotal moment.

The Maw, AKA The scene is suddenly about you now posted:

You have let too much of the Void free, and now it will
claim what it wants: everything. Anything not nailed
down is pulled into the horrific black fissures opening
across your body, greedily consuming anything touching
them and growing as they feed.

Effects
• Maw of Infinity: The Sin-Eater becomes the epicenter
of an effect identical to The End of All Things (p.
XX), as if she had spent 5 Plasm to invoke it.
• No Escape: For every 10 Health, Structure, or Corpus
damage Maw of Infinity deals, the Sin-Eater suffers 1
aggravated damage. If she dies as a result, she too is
consumed entirely.
• Take Me with You: If the Sin-Eater is killed by the
Maw, the effects of Maw immediately end.

Possible Sources
• Dramatically failing a roll to activate a Void Haunt.

Resolution
• The Void consumes someone or something important
to you.

So yeah, that's the baseline we're working with. First level has you spawn a Void-wake from anywhere between a whole room to a large building, second level gives you shadow-blasts, third level gives you angry Void teeth along with an upgrade to not be blinded by your own Void-wake, fourth level is The End of All Things described above, which spawns a black hole inside your void-wake with the original wake's area of suction around it, consuming everything and growing larger until it potentially spins out of control. The fifth level busts a hole into/out of the Underworld, regardless of if an Avernian Gate was there.

So yeah, pretty metal all around. My question is thus; how does a Mage look at this and come up with an explanation that isn't the Abyss corrupting some Underworld feature? That's what it reads like, to me.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Spector29 posted:

My question is thus; how does a Mage look at this and come up with an explanation that isn't the Abyss corrupting some Underworld feature? That's what it reads like, to me.

The Abyss is the set of impossibilities, the litany of anti-truths. Abyssal manifestations are when contradictions to meaningful conceptual reality infect the world, causing bizarre horrors governed by alien logic. The nature of the Abyss is why, when a spell goes wrong and brushes against it, mages call the result a Paradox.

This is a black hole.

It's very bad, but mages don't call everything that's very bad Abyssal. The Abyss is a particular flavor of very bad, and despite the name, it's not defined by nothingness or emptiness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, Death is even a Sphere and everything. I imagine they'd go "yup, that's sure some Death poo poo going on there," close the shutters and go back to mageposting.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

If I recall correctly, it's not really possible to just cast 'detect Abyssal Intrusion' - Mages have to do some digging and closely scrutinize a thing to determine 'yeah that's evil gibberish, definitely a hole in the fabric of reality leading to the negaverse, rather than a hole in the fabric of the world leading to the dead dimension.'

So it really depends on how paranoid a Mage is whether they'd immediately decide the miniature black hole is a semantic perversion of Death, or just a big ol' Death-blob doing what Death-blobs do. Now, either way they're highly likely to poke their nose in and try to either suppress or exploit the phenomenon, because Mages, but I think whether or not they'd assume it's Abyssal depends on how much they're Guardians of the Veil (in spirit if not in Order affiliation).

E: This is for New Mage, with the Death Arcanum, obviously. IDK what Sphere Mages from Ascension would think about literally anything, except light bulbs (it's a joke please don't discuss the bulbs again)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

If I recall correctly, it's not really possible to just cast 'detect Abyssal Intrusion' - Mages have to do some digging and closely scrutinize a thing to determine 'yeah that's evil gibberish, definitely a hole in the fabric of reality leading to the negaverse, rather than a hole in the fabric of the world leading to the dead dimension.'

So it really depends on how paranoid a Mage is whether they'd immediately decide the miniature black hole is a semantic perversion of Death, or just a big ol' Death-blob doing what Death-blobs do. Now, either way they're highly likely to poke their nose in and try to either suppress or exploit the phenomenon, because Mages, but I think whether or not they'd assume it's Abyssal depends on how much they're Guardians of the Veil (in spirit if not in Order affiliation).

E: This is for New Mage, with the Death Arcanum, obviously. IDK what Sphere Mages from Ascension would think about literally anything, except light bulbs (it's a joke please don't discuss the bulbs again)
In Mage terms this would be a rift in the gauntlet (or do they call it the shroud? anyway, the one pointing to the Shadowlands). I believe this is the kind of thing the Technocracy actually addresses with all their tactical operators. A nearby Traditionist would probably find the phenomenon interesting and terrifying and might wonder why all the ghosts seem to be rushing the old abandoned Giovanni house.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

That's the important caveat, yeah: not suspecting this power to be Abyssal in no way means that mages would not consider it a significant and worrying danger or otherwise be motivated to figure out what's going on, why it happens, and what can be harnessed from that learning.

It's not Abyssal flavor bad. That doesn't make it less bad. The weirdo doubleghosts have figured out how to reliably open black holes that annihilate both matter and ephemera. That's not okay.

Joe Slowboat posted:

One to screw it in and four to get into heated arguments over what it is about screwing it in that works.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

I should also include the text I saw to come to this conclusion:

Three Dots in Void posted:

Virtually everything she consumes is
consigned to the abyss, crushed out of materiality, and in
that instant where the living version of an object ceases
to be and spawns a transient Castoff, the Sin-Eater sups
for herself.

Black Hole Ghost posted:

Wise Sin-Eaters wield the Void with great care, knowing
that each invocation might cause horrific unintended
harm, that the nothingness inside them might waken too
far and begin to consume even them. Not all Sin-Eaters
are wise, but beyond that, sometimes even the wise have
no recourse but to risk everything.

The Sin-Eater conjures not a small glimpse of the
Void, but a stable sphere of anti-existence. It begins to
feed immediately, drawing anything large enough to fit
through it into its all-consuming depths.

Those two bits stuck out as Abyssal flavor to an otherwise Death Arcana based phenomenon. I agree that it is a danger Mages might want to look into regardless.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Anti-existence can be Death rather than the Abyss; it’s just a different sense of ‘existing’ in each case.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, in this case it's just...annihilation, nonexistence, rather than nega-reality.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I feel like Retainer is a pretty good alternative for Ghoul, especially given that that's the name of the advantage/background.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Whoever was asking about the Followers of Set and The Ministry, they're covered in Cults of the Blood Gods, it was in one of the recent previews.

I don't remember exactly what it said but it explained the schism between the two.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Annihilation, emptiness, and a desperate hunger for real things reads to me as the Lower Depths, actually, more than the Abyss. If you wanted to connect it up to Mage geography you could do it that way. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not though, I don't know enough about Geist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Lower Depths is a possibility but the Underworld in general kind of has a hint of that to it, although it's hard to be sure.

It's not Abyssal. The Abyss isn't antimatter, it's more like "cancer, but for meaning instead of biology."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Honestly my best guess re: the nature of the Underworld, based on the following points:

- There are no human spirits or humanity spirits. This is really loving weird.
- Humans do make ghosts, though, who work on distinct but parallel rules to spirits.
- The Underworld is in most respects a reflection of our world.
- The God-Machine's analysis of the Underworld is that it's "irreparably broken."
- The Cthonic Gods don't really correspond to anything else in the World of Darkness that I can think of.
- In Geist 1E, Geists were pretty heavily implied to be Spirit-Ghost hybrids. I can't remember if 2E rolled this back or doubled down on it, though.
- In the Sundered World dark era, the Underworld exists, but it's hard to say whether it was always there or got retconned into existence along with god knows what else when the Ladder broke. It's also rapidly changing; it used to be a single, unbroken ocean, then suddenly there were islands and the water seems to be slowly draining away.

... is that the Underworld is a damaged or severed portion of the Shadow that went haywire when humanity started messing with its own place / significance in the cosmos.

e: This also would mean that when woofs "mistake" Sin-Eaters for some weird flavor of Ridden, they're basically right. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 23, 2019

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly my best guess re: the nature of the Underworld, based on the following points:

- There are no human spirits or humanity spirits. This is really loving weird.

There are several contenders for "where are all the humanity spirits", ranging from Secret Peoples living in quiet places of the worlds like Rmohals, to (I kid ye not) the Strix.

quote:

- The Underworld is in most respects a reflection of our world.

Only in the uppermost "nearest" reaches, and largely because everything that's ever destroyed but remembered leaves a ghost, even if only temporarily, and all that trash has to go somewhere.

quote:

- The Cthonic Gods don't really correspond to anything else in the World of Darkness that I can think of.

They quite possibly don't exist.

quote:

- In Geist 1E, Geists were pretty heavily implied to be Spirit-Ghost hybrids. I can't remember if 2E rolled this back or doubled down on it, though.

Rolled it back; it was because ghosts in 1e didn't have Rank.

quote:

- In the Sundered World dark era, the Underworld exists, but it's hard to say whether it was always there or got retconned into existence along with god knows what else when the Ladder broke. It's also rapidly changing; it used to be a single, unbroken ocean, then suddenly there were islands and the water seems to be slowly draining away.

Geist 2e includes the notion that a Krewe can, through an endgame process called Catabasis, reshape the Underworld. I knew this was coming when I wrote the two/three lines in Sundered World about the Underworld's appearance thanks to long discussions with gimpinblack about his plans for the game; the Neolithic version of it is different because it's several such reshapings ago.

quote:

... is that the Underworld is a damaged or severed portion of the Shadow that went haywire when humanity started messing with its own place / significance in the cosmos.

It's certainly being affected by humanity, simply because humanity make so many, many more ghosts than would exist without them. The Underworld's sorry state may just be the cost of Sapience.

Lots of Death-interested mages believe it to be the most "damaged" Fallen World, though whether the nature of that is it being riddled with Irises to Lower Depths in its deeper parts, or if it's an affect of the Fall, or if it's an affect of humanity, is up for Convocation debate.

Truthfully, though, the Underworld resembles the Astral more than it resembles the Shadow. In a bizarro-world inverted sense of "resemble". Compare the Sea of Fragments and the Ocean Oroborous.

quote:

e: This also would mean that when woofs "mistake" Sin-Eaters for some weird flavor of Ridden, they're basically right. :v:
Well, that's always been true. Beasts, too. Except that Claim is a different Manifestation to Bargain.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good Magechat.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Thesis: Astral Santa is the most powerful archetype in the Temenos, at least near December 25.

He has a ton of great targets to possess, too. Of course, he’d only use this to bring good cheer to little girls and boys.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Spector29 posted:

Merry Mithrastide to all, and to all a good Magechat.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hunter game where you hunt the Krampus.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Rather hunt as the krampus, "you have been really naughty vampire"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats a rmohal

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Tollymain posted:

whats a rmohal

I don't know, what's a rmohal with you?

Rmoahals are a breed of eight-foot-tall, indigo-skinned giants who predate the human inhabitants of the Awakened City, who were taken as slaves and servants by those Atlanteans and posted at places of import that survive from the Time Before, where they addressed visitors and trespassers in the High Speech. You can find them in Secrets of the Ruined Temple for Mage First Edition.

Rmoahals are a root people, a type of humanoid spirit with their own culture and societies. The Rmoahals stand eight-foot-tall with blue skin, speak a language associated by supernal scholars with the Awakened City, and pass down ancestral oaths to guard sites of supernal or Atlantean association. You can find them in Signs of Sorcery for Mage Second Edition.

Rmoahals are a race of prehuman blue-skinned giants, illustrated as standing several stories tall, whose culture or psychology ascribed personal qualities to groups and not individuals. They had a perfect memory and spoke a language which described concepts so perfectly that everything said in the language was inevitably true, though the limits of their psychology prevented them from abusing this sorcerous power of true language. Their descendants became a more humanlike species, without their forebears' capacity for memory or true language. You can find them in Witch Finders for Hunter First Edition, and their ghosts in Compacts and Conspiracies for the same.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Twibbit posted:

Rather hunt as the krampus, "you have been really naughty vampire"

Lmao that would be a fun one off

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Metapod posted:

Lmao that would be a fun one off

I could see that as an offbeat original for a Changeling: The Lost character.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
A Christmas-obsessed faun lookin dude with a bad temper who just gets forced into the role by Pratchett's idea of Narrative Ontology. Basically the dark inversion of The Santa Clause.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got myself copies of Trinity Continumm + AEon with my christmas money. :toot:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

MonsieurChoc posted:

:toot:

I just ordered the corebook with a gift certificate I got to Amazon, so I am becoming increasingly excited about trying to run this now that I have an easier reference.

The game and setting is great, I really hope it is doing well for them.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

When you scrape up a bit more, In Media Res and Aeon Aexpansion are also available now. IMR has a few semi-detailed adventures set in the modern Trinity Core, while Aeon Aex details extra stuff for Aeon, including rules for creating Superiors and Psiads.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Everyone posted:

When you scrape up a bit more, In Media Res and Aeon Aexpansion are also available now. IMR has a few semi-detailed adventures set in the modern Trinity Core, while Aeon Aex details extra stuff for Aeon, including rules for creating Superiors and Psiads.

I'm thinking about it. The thing is, I decided to go to a store for Boxing Day and found that they had physical copies of the books! Lots of other interesting stuff too, but since I'm still in job hunting mode I decided not to overspend.

So far I'm liking Storypath, but it's a very abstracted system so I'm not sure all my players will like it. I know there's some rules I'll have to see in play to really get. I'm confused about the superscience: how do you tell which inventions are advanced, enhanced or powered? They mention the differences at the start but then it never comes up during the actual creation rules.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm thinking about it. The thing is, I decided to go to a store for Boxing Day and found that they had physical copies of the books! Lots of other interesting stuff too, but since I'm still in job hunting mode I decided not to overspend.

So far I'm liking Storypath, but it's a very abstracted system so I'm not sure all my players will like it. I know there's some rules I'll have to see in play to really get. I'm confused about the superscience: how do you tell which inventions are advanced, enhanced or powered? They mention the differences at the start but then it never comes up during the actual creation rules.

My take on it is, if it alters/modifies/duplicates a Nova or Psion/Psiad power not reasonably found in the real world (Ultravision/Thermal Vision is a real world thing, weather control and Telekinesis aren't) then it's Powered. Figure any character your players build will at least be able to do Enhanced stuff because Talents can do that. It takes a Psion/Psiad or Nova to do Powered stuff.

Figure that IMR and AeAex won't explode in price too rapidly so you can wait. I will say that as I understand it, those two products are pretty strictly Print on Demand if you want a physical copy. They're not going to be in any bookstores/game shops etc.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 28, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Now that a miracle has occurred and I might actually be getting back to some regular gaming in the near future, I'm doing into Trinity 2e and Aberrant specifically. I like the looks of stuff, but I'm always keen to head off problems before they arise in okay. Is there a centralized repository of problems? There doesn't seem to be an errata thread on the OPP forum. And I know Aberrant isn't out for a while, but I saw someone mention they're doing a significant overhaul after feedback. Has there been any discussion about what changes will be made?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That Old Tree posted:

Now that a miracle has occurred and I might actually be getting back to some regular gaming in the near future, I'm doing into Trinity 2e and Aberrant specifically. I like the looks of stuff, but I'm always keen to head off problems before they arise in okay. Is there a centralized repository of problems? There doesn't seem to be an errata thread on the OPP forum. And I know Aberrant isn't out for a while, but I saw someone mention they're doing a significant overhaul after feedback. Has there been any discussion about what changes will be made?

One thing is that they're shifting how they do Techniques. Instead of Technique being a Power Tag, it's now a Mega-Edge. Figure the best way to keep up with this stuff is to go to the Onyx Path Forums.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Everyone posted:

One thing is that they're shifting how they do Techniques. Instead of Technique being a Power Tag, it's now a Mega-Edge. Figure the best way to keep up with this stuff is to go to the Onyx Path Forums.

Is there a particular place to find such information? Part of my original complaint is that there's no errata thread, not even for the books that have reached store shelves. I don't love these games enough to dig around OPP's jank-rear end forum hoping to stumble on a couple of developer posts sandwiched between the incessant "everything is fine stop trying to rollplay" vs "this mechanic is unclear and may be unbalanced please help."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Question for anyone in here who is trans and also is familiar with promethean (whether you've just read the book, are just familiar with the concept, or have actually played the game): in the book's materials, it mentions stuff about prometheans experiencing body dysphoria and needing to work towards deciding what they want to be when they achieve the great work and it specifically mentions the kinds of feelings a promethean made up of several different people would feel since there is a good chance they'll be made up of people of varying sexes. What I want to know is if the writers succeeded. I'm not a trans person so I don't know and I will never know what it is like to be trans. I interpret promethean as being a means for people to roleplay and engage with each other through themes of dysphoria, depression, anxiety, discrimination, and ultimately hope of achieving your ultimate goal of becoming exactly who you want to be when you become your ideal version of a whole person. I just want to know any opinions on if the game succeeded at this or not and if the game works as a means of introducing these ideas to people who may otherwise not necessarily understand these themes.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

FirstAidKite posted:

Question for anyone in here who is trans and also is familiar with promethean (whether you've just read the book, are just familiar with the concept, or have actually played the game): in the book's materials, it mentions stuff about prometheans experiencing body dysphoria and needing to work towards deciding what they want to be when they achieve the great work and it specifically mentions the kinds of feelings a promethean made up of several different people would feel since there is a good chance they'll be made up of people of varying sexes. What I want to know is if the writers succeeded. I'm not a trans person so I don't know and I will never know what it is like to be trans. I interpret promethean as being a means for people to roleplay and engage with each other through themes of dysphoria, depression, anxiety, discrimination, and ultimately hope of achieving your ultimate goal of becoming exactly who you want to be when you become your ideal version of a whole person. I just want to know any opinions on if the game succeeded at this or not and if the game works as a means of introducing these ideas to people who may otherwise not necessarily understand these themes.

I’m not sure about introducing these concepts to people who aren’t already sort of in the know, but my Promethean game is 3/4 trans girls (players, not characters) and everyone loves how intimate it is. I’d say it succeeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

That Old Tree posted:

Is there a particular place to find such information? Part of my original complaint is that there's no errata thread, not even for the books that have reached store shelves. I don't love these games enough to dig around OPP's jank-rear end forum hoping to stumble on a couple of developer posts sandwiched between the incessant "everything is fine stop trying to rollplay" vs "this mechanic is unclear and may be unbalanced please help."

I haven't dug into it too much myself, but probably the "Ask the Developers" thread in the Trinity Universe section would be your best place to find that stuff.