Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Id still kill to have another game starring Geralt so we could get more of his sighs of resignation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

chaosapiant posted:

I’m thinking a potential Witcher 4 will have you make your own character; so a prequel makes sense when there are a lot more Witchers in the world.

I'd be a little disappointed with that though because only men are witchers so that would limit character creation, unless you could choose to play as a witcher or a sorceress.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I completely forgot how poo poo-rear end suck keybinding was. Each function requires its own separate key regardless of context. Gonna need fifty keys just for dodging, sprinting, gallop alone because goodness me if can't use Shift to make roach gallop while Geralt is on horseback and sprint while he's running about.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 22, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jimbot posted:

because goodness me if can't use Shift to make roach gallop while Geralt is on horseback and sprint while he's running about.

Isn't that the default?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was a bit of whiplash for me seeing Fringilla Vigo this morning and then seeing her again as an X-Wing pilot in episode 9.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does Cahir remind anyone else of Cillian Murphy? It's been burning me up who he looks like.

Edit: I'm also slightly miffed that the best element of The Last Wish story was left out. The part where Geralt inadvertently wishes for the genie to go gently caress himself, which he does, and makes him really pissed off.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is Geralt's first wish in the show? Did he even give one?

Cahir reminds me more of the crazy intenst curling champion from the movie Men With Brooms played by Greg Bryk.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is Geralt's first wish in the show? Did he even give one?

Cahir reminds me more of the crazy intenst curling champion from the movie Men With Brooms played by Greg Bryk.

His first wish was making the djinn fly away, but I can’t remember what he mumbled to make it happen. But that’s when the djinn marked his arm the first time.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

chaosapiant posted:

His first wish was making the djinn fly away, but I can’t remember what he mumbled to make it happen. But that’s when the djinn marked his arm the first time.

In the show, Geralt yells his wish to be in peace, so the Djinn hosed up Dandelion's throat and flew away

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I completely forgot how poo poo-rear end suck keybinding was. Each function requires its own separate key regardless of context. Gonna need fifty keys just for dodging, sprinting, gallop alone because goodness me if can't use Shift to make roach gallop while Geralt is on horseback and sprint while he's running about.

~play on a controller~

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This is a really stupid minor quibble with the Netflix show but I’m sad that Fringilla is a sorceress in training with the other named sorceresses. I loved in the books when herself and Assire first go meet the other sorceresses of the lodge and are mentally freaking the gently caress out because they aren’t used to being around northern sorceresses that dress extravagantly because in Nilfgaard good looks are considered superficial for magic users.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They totally hosed up Fringilla's character, overall. She is way less arrogant and cocky in the books.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
There's definitely a few examples where the character is so different that they might as well have just changed their name.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Old Swerdlow posted:

This is a really stupid minor quibble with the Netflix show but I’m sad that Fringilla is a sorceress in training with the other named sorceresses. I loved in the books when herself and Assire first go meet the other sorceresses of the lodge and are mentally freaking the gently caress out because they aren’t used to being around northern sorceresses that dress extravagantly because in Nilfgaard good looks are considered superficial for magic users.

:yeah:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I just finished the season. I have a few minor things I like less than the books, changes that didn’t seem necessary. But overall, especially the last two episodes, I think they really really stuck the landing. They managed to hit the same emotional chord with me that the end of Sword of Destiny did, and even 5 or 6 episodes in, I did not think they would be able to pull that off. What a ride!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah I just finished watching.its not mind-blowing or anything, it's just a good solid show that really nails down the books vibe.hopefully they go into season 2 with more confidence and improve.kinda like witcher 1 to Witcher 2.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I finished it and I wish they'd done more to ease in people unfamiliar with the source material, and I still think the random time jumps reduce the coherence of the storytelling, but I enjoyed it overall. Battle of Sodden felt a little underbaked, unfortunately, and I don't think it worked as a capstone to the season. CGI and effects work was passable; hopefully they get a better budget for that stuff in the future.

And I'm looking forward to the portrayals of Vesemir and the Witcher bros when they appear next season.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there any difference between the GOTY edition and regular edition (with both expansions) on GOG?

The regular one shows all the achievements and progress from my previous playthroughs but the GOTY doesn't have any progress.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there any difference between the GOTY edition and regular edition (with both expansions) on GOG?

The regular one shows all the achievements and progress from my previous playthroughs but the GOTY doesn't have any progress.

GotY comes with all the free DLC baked in without you needing to go to the effort of downloading them.

That's the only difference.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I forgot how laughably overpowered AI gwent decks were. My awesome deck of low to middling power levels certainly is a match for your deck of nothing but heroes, damage boosts and spies Nilfgaardian nobleman, sir. I suppose it's a good introduction to the game, telling you you're going to lose 90% of the time to people with godly decks until the stars align and the RNG favors you and if you have shitloads of spy cards.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

There are only a few decks that are wildly overpowered, and that's one of them. Most of them are very beatable, even by a middling deck provided you understand the mechanics and abuse them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

There are only a few decks that are wildly overpowered, and that's one of them. Most of them are very beatable, even by a middling deck provided you understand the mechanics and abuse them.

Yeah, facing against him just brought back a flood of "what the gently caress!" gwent moments. Once I get a few more spy cards in my deck, poo poo like that will be easy to counter.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

In the main game, the only really annoying Gwent opponents I can think of are that guy, one of the guys in the Novigrod tournament, and Stepjan who is part of one of the innkeeper Gwent quests.

The whole tournament in BaW is brutally hard, frankly.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So about how does it take to blitz through the first two games for the story? I've heard the gameplay isnt' near as polished as w3 but still kind of want to see the whole plotline.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zerilan posted:

So about how does it take to blitz through the first two games for the story? I've heard the gameplay isnt' near as polished as w3 but still kind of want to see the whole plotline.

If you just did the absolute minimum mainline story, probably fifteen to twenty for 1 and eight to twelve for 2? 2 is a considerably shorter game and I'm probably even over-judging it cause I seem to recall beating it in a long afternoon, the first game is more standard for the era of RPG it came out in but you can safely ignore pretty big chunks of it especially since none of it carries really carries over or matters too much.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Just watch a video summary of Witcher 1, it's not worth it to even blitz. Witcher 2 can be fun as it's basically the in-dev version of Witcher 3's combat and so it can be tolerable to rush through the story if you really want to.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nessin posted:

Just watch a video summary of Witcher 1, it's not worth it to even blitz. Witcher 2 can be fun as it's basically the in-dev version of Witcher 3's combat and so it can be tolerable to rush through the story if you really want to.

gently caress that noise, Witcher 1 is awesome!

Orv
May 4, 2011
As you may have noticed, Witcher 1 is divisive. If you don't agree with chaos feel free to follow nessin's advice, the game is a slog even if you enjoy it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
W1 has some great moments in the middle of the game, but W3 does those cool moments better. It's mostly very very long and the longest of the chapters involves a *lot* of backtracking and other poo poo that doesn't really fit with modern player expectations, without much in the way of payoff.

The meta-plot of W1 has almost nothing to do with the story of W3, and the only thing it actually serves to do for W3 is introduce some characters, but badly.

I think people here tend to view it with rose tinted glasses. It was pretty cool when it was released, but it's aged very poorly, and some parts of it were always kind of bad.

Witcher 2 is much better, but also 100% optional for playing Witcher 3. But at least W2 manages to do a better job characterizing Geralt's posse in a way that W1 couldn't.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 23, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

W1 has some great moments in the middle of the game, but W3 does those cool moments better. It's mostly very very long and the longest of the chapters involves a *lot* of backtracking and other poo poo that doesn't really fit with modern player expectations, without much in the way of payoff.

The meta-plot of W1 has almost nothing to do with the story of W3, and the only thing it actually serves to do for W3 is introduce some characters, but badly.

I think people here tend to view it with rose tinted glasses. It was pretty cool when it was released, but it's aged very poorly, and some parts of it were always kind of bad.

Witcher 2 is much better, but also 100% optional for playing Witcher 3. But at least W2 manages to do a better job characterizing Geralt's posse in a way that W1 couldn't.

I played the series for the first time a few years ago, and I honestly enjoyed the Witcher a lot.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jimbot posted:

for your deck of nothing but heroes, damage boosts

:thunk:

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Nope, it's a great game still. Replayed it this year.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I finished it and I wish they'd done more to ease in people unfamiliar with the source material, and I still think the random time jumps reduce the coherence of the storytelling, but I enjoyed it overall. Battle of Sodden felt a little underbaked, unfortunately, and I don't think it worked as a capstone to the season. CGI and effects work was passable; hopefully they get a better budget for that stuff in the future.

And I'm looking forward to the portrayals of Vesemir and the Witcher bros when they appear next season.

That's my main complaint too. There is a kind of lack of geography or context to everything. Like at one point Geralt says explains they can't make more Witchers since Kaer Morhean was sacked. But doesn't explain what KM is so a new watcher could end up guessing is it a city? a country? etc.

Same thing with "the White Flame"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

gently caress that noise, Witcher 1 is awesome!

This, also it sets up a couple of really important characters to 2, as well as feels you with two really important choices in 3. Not direct help, but if you played all the way through, those choices are basically no brainers.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
witcher 1 is good but it has a very german wrpg level of prep before each fight, i enjoyed that because it actually rams home how hard monsters are to kill for normies

the writing is not great but it covers some cool events

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The only thing keeping me from buying the W3 on Switch is a mod that applies the oil I need for every enemy automatically. I never played the game without it.

How tedious is the game without that mod?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The game is easy enough (on any difficulty) without any oils, so I wouldn’t call it essential by any means.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah it's fine - i played through w3 on ps4 without it and i applied oils for tough fights and basically ignored it for everything else

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Playing W1 made the last third of W3 way more impactful. Aside from that W1 feels awkward and pretty directionless I think.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Smol posted:

The game is easy enough (on any difficulty) without any oils, so I wouldn’t call it essential by any means.

Would you say they're not essential oils, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrossMurpel posted:

Nope, it's a great game still. Replayed it this year.

This. I replay it yearly or bi-yearly and it still holds up. It's a fantastic and unique game. That said, i totally get people not playing it and enjoying it. But I'd never suggest to someone to skip it. Play it a bit and skip it if you don't like it. But there's a lot of good storytelling in there. And if you're read all the books and jump right into W1 it's neat having all those people go "Geralt, where you been?" and you know who these people are, but Geralt doesn't.

Wildtortilla posted:

How tedious is the game without that mod?

I played through Witcher 3 two times all the way through without using this (or any) mods. It's convenient but not at all necessary. It's easy enough to just pick things here and there and buy what you need from shops.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 23, 2019