Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rollersnake posted:

Avocado looks like it should mean something in Latin by accident, and I've always been disappointed that it very nearly doesn't. The closest is avocabo (I will call away) or avocando (by means of the calling away).

Avocabo el avocado abogado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rollersnake posted:

Avocado looks like it should mean something in Latin by accident, and I've always been disappointed that it very nearly doesn't. The closest is avocabo (I will call away) or avocando (by means of the calling away).

I always liked the name of the Brazilian stray cat adopted by an office for social help; Advogato.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Samovar posted:

I always liked the name of the Brazilian stray cat adopted by an office for social help; Advogato.

That's Doctor Leon Advogato to you.

(That little security badge! )

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first colour footage shot in Iceland was filmed by Eva Braun during her visit in 1939

https://youtu.be/wAZdW6YPgxc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this is cool

A 5700 year-old human genome and oral microbiome from chewed birch pitch

Birch pitch was used as chewing gum and painkiller from the stone age into early modern times. They've extracted DNA from a piece of birch gum found in southern Denmark, and can say that it was used by a woman with dark skin, dark hair, and blue eyes. She had recently eaten mallard and hazel nuts.

They've named the woman Lola. Here's an artist's rendition of how she might have looked (it is unknown how old she was):

Full disclosure: One of my mates is lead author on this. I remember trying to help him get some lovely GIS software to work back when he first started archaeology some 10 years ago lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the 1950s the british were worried that West-Germany would fall and that the soviets would invade Europe from the east. So they came up with project Blue Peacock. They planned to place several nuclear mines in West-Germany, there was only one problem: The cold winter would gently caress up the electronics in the mine. The solution was to stuff each mine with live chickens and leave them with enough food and water to survive for a week. The project was ultimately abandoned because if it got out that Germany was considered expendable in case of an invasion it would be bad optics.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

In the 1950s the british were worried that West-Germany would fall and that the soviets would invade Europe from the east. So they came up with project Blue Peacock. They planned to place several nuclear mines in West-Germany, there was only one problem: The cold winter would gently caress up the electronics in the mine. The solution was to stuff each mine with live chickens and leave them with enough food and water to survive for a week. The project was ultimately abandoned because if it got out that Germany was considered expendable in case of an invasion it would be bad optics.

That is the old joke:
What's a tactical nuclear weapon?
One that goes off in Germany.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Alhazred posted:

The atomic bawk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of disposable, one of my high school teachers used to be a colonel in the rapid deployment forces of the Czechoslovak People's Army. He often spoke about how he and his fellow officers knew that in the case of a war they were supposed to be the ones to eat up the nuclear strikes from the west, and to die so the Soviets could advance over their dead bodies. One wonders what would have happened with the Warsaw Pact if a war really kicked off, the Soviets tried to motivate their satellites into fighting the hated Germans, but as far as I know nobody who was supposed to form the military vanguard was buying it, at least within Czechoslovakia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of disposable, one of my high school teachers used to be a colonel in the rapid deployment forces of the Czechoslovak People's Army. He often spoke about how he and his fellow officers knew that in the case of a war they were supposed to be the ones to eat up the nuclear strikes from the west, and to die so the Soviets could advance over their dead bodies. One wonders what would have happened with the Warsaw Pact if a war really kicked off, the Soviets tried to motivate their satellites into fighting the hated Germans, but as far as I know nobody who was supposed to form the military vanguard was buying it, at least within Czechoslovakia.

I asked about that in the milhist thread a bit back, because it’s generally accepted that whoever actually started the war it would have been Warsaw Pact forces advancing into NATO countries on the ground. And it’s a lot easier to motivate danes to defend Denmark alongside the americans than it is to motivate poles to invade Denmark alongside the soviets. Apparently the soviets and by consequence the americans had a tiered list of which Pact troops would be most reliable, with DDR at the top and czechoslovaks near or at the bottom.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I asked about that in the milhist thread a bit back, because it’s generally accepted that whoever actually started the war it would have been Warsaw Pact forces advancing into NATO countries on the ground. And it’s a lot easier to motivate danes to defend Denmark alongside the americans than it is to motivate poles to invade Denmark alongside the soviets. Apparently the soviets and by consequence the americans had a tiered list of which Pact troops would be most reliable, with DDR at the top and czechoslovaks near or at the bottom.

The forces of the Dance Dance Revolution will not be halted!

The GDR did have that “zeal of the converted” thing going on. I don’t know how much of that was because of policy and how much was how brutally effective the Stasi were.

E:i know DDR is a valid acronym for it, I just always see GDR so my brain read it as, well, Dance Dance Revolution at first.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, and even if they had a tiered list, it remains a question how they would actually deal with the disloyal armies in the case of an escalation. It's one thing to identify a weakness, and another to address it.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Going from memory, the Soviets also were planning to deploy each of the Warsaw Pact nations against the NATO country they hated the most in the hopes of reducing this effect.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The father of an ex of mine served in the GDR people’s army at the same time my dad served in the western Bundeswehr (both as part of their obligatory military service), and they both told me that at least on a conscript level the two German armies of the mid-80s were basically a never-ending boozefest with no one even remotely capable of performing large-scale warfare against the class enemy. I know, merely anecdotes, but it at least shows that even in the GDR not everybody was overly keen on invading the capitalist neighbour :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I guess it's hard to give a drat when any war you'd be in is just as likely to be (or go) atomic.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Meanwhile, Yugoslavia had to develop a defense plan against an invasion by either NATO or the Warsaw Pact. :tito:

It probably wasn't really a "defense plan" as much as it was a "letter of formal surrender", but still.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Nine of Eight posted:

Going from memory, the Soviets also were planning to deploy each of the Warsaw Pact nations against the NATO country they hated the most in the hopes of reducing this effect.
That sounds easy. Aren't neighbouring nations usually the most hated country?

(please be aware that this might cause issues for countries surrounded by allies, i.e. France, Germany, Italy. We have to hate our one non-allied neighbour, our common arch enemy, the scourge of Europe: Switzerland)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trabant posted:

Meanwhile, Yugoslavia had to develop a defense plan against an invasion by either NATO or the Warsaw Pact. :tito:

It probably wasn't really a "defense plan" as much as it was a "letter of formal surrender", but still.
When my brother was in the army he became aware of my country's defense plan. It was "remove the roadsigns".

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Wipfmetz posted:

(please be aware that this might cause issues for countries surrounded by allies, i.e. France, Germany, Italy. We have to hate our one non-allied neighbour, our common arch enemy, the scourge of Europe: Switzerland)

Luckily for us, after Brexit there will always be the UK.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Alhazred posted:

When my brother was in the army he became aware of my country's defense plan. It was "remove the roadsigns".
In pre-GPS-times, that _might_ actually have caused issues?

Kassad posted:

Brexit means leaving the EU, not NATO.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Czechs built a lot of their own gear that was incompatible with Soviet-designed equipment beyond sharing ammunition. I have to imagine at least some part of it was to slight the Soviets and keep them from being able to easily use up stockpiles of spare Czech AK or BTR parts.

Examples:
The Vz58 rifle uses the same ammunition as the AK47 and looks like one but uses a entirely different internal mechanical system.
Likewise the Vz59 machine gun is pretty much a PK machine gun but different.
Licensed production BTR-50 tracked APCs got evolved into the OT-62.
Instead of purchasing a license for the wheeled BTR series of APCs they designed the OT-64 jointly with Poland.
Instead of adopting disposable Russian-made AT rocket launchers like the RPG-18, they built their own RPG-75.
Instead of buying Soviet tracked self-propelled artillery they designed the DANA howitzer on a armored 8x8 truck.

A lot of this was also exported to other countries like Poland, Cuba and Angola.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wipfmetz posted:

In pre-GPS-times, that _might_ actually have caused issues?

Brexit means leaving the EU, not NATO.

Leaving NATO is another thing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Leaving NATO is another thing

Yeah, only Donald the Orange would consider something that dumb, so he's holding it in reserve to one-up Brexit

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

this is cool

A 5700 year-old human genome and oral microbiome from chewed birch pitch

Birch pitch was used as chewing gum and painkiller from the stone age into early modern times. They've extracted DNA from a piece of birch gum found in southern Denmark, and can say that it was used by a woman with dark skin, dark hair, and blue eyes. She had recently eaten mallard and hazel nuts.

They've named the woman Lola. Here's an artist's rendition of how she might have looked (it is unknown how old she was):

Full disclosure: One of my mates is lead author on this. I remember trying to help him get some lovely GIS software to work back when he first started archaeology some 10 years ago lol

And just 20-60 miles north the blue eyed dark pigmented hunters of western europe had for a couple of thousand years been shacking up with brown eyed light pigmented eastern hunters migrating down along the atlantic coast.

Some 7000 years later this along with a switch to a grain based diet introduced by expanding middle eastern neolithic farmers proved to be a rich source for a lot of horrible things. History and its chronologically far reaching impact on culture is strange.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Czechs built a lot of their own gear that was incompatible with Soviet-designed equipment beyond sharing ammunition. I have to imagine at least some part of it was to slight the Soviets and keep them from being able to easily use up stockpiles of spare Czech AK or BTR parts.

Examples:
The Vz58 rifle uses the same ammunition as the AK47 and looks like one but uses a entirely different internal mechanical system.
Likewise the Vz59 machine gun is pretty much a PK machine gun but different.
Licensed production BTR-50 tracked APCs got evolved into the OT-62.
Instead of purchasing a license for the wheeled BTR series of APCs they designed the OT-64 jointly with Poland.
Instead of adopting disposable Russian-made AT rocket launchers like the RPG-18, they built their own RPG-75.
Instead of buying Soviet tracked self-propelled artillery they designed the DANA howitzer on a armored 8x8 truck.

A lot of this was also exported to other countries like Poland, Cuba and Angola.

It was because there already existed established industry and engineering teams specialized in designing and making these things, and those factories often were absolutely economically indispensable for their region, so it was preferred to bolster manufacturing over importing stuff that could be made domestically, it definitely wasn't done to spite the Soviets.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

System Metternich posted:

The father of an ex of mine served in the GDR people’s army at the same time my dad served in the western Bundeswehr (both as part of their obligatory military service), and they both told me that at least on a conscript level the two German armies of the mid-80s were basically a never-ending boozefest with no one even remotely capable of performing large-scale warfare against the class enemy. I know, merely anecdotes, but it at least shows that even in the GDR not everybody was overly keen on invading the capitalist neighbour :v:

I feel cheated. I did my Bundeswehr service in 84/85 :corsair: and there was no booze.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kassad posted:

Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

During the Field of the Cloth of Gold, a summit from 7 to 24 June 1520 between King Henry VIII of England and King Francis I of France, the two kings and the various lords and ladies consumed 2200 sheep, 2200 bulls, 26 dozen herons, 700 eels and an unknown number of barrels with mustard.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Jan 9, 2020

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Even eating one barrel seems too much, mustard or no

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a story from 1919 when Fyodor Raskolnikov, commander of the Volga-Caspian fleet, brought several barrels of black caviar captured from former Tsarist warehouses back to Moscow. The Kremlin held a function where huge bowls were put out for the guests, but only two thin slices of bread provided to each person. It took months for them to finish off the caviar.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sulla Faex posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sulla Faex posted:

It does stave off hunger.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

Make that thousands. The oldest recorded joke is from 1900 BC: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap"

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/about-us/news-and-events/latest-news/2008/august-2008/the-worlds-ten-oldest-jokes-revealed.php

Not a fart joke, a queef joke!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sulla Faex posted:

Oh, you.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Wipfmetz posted:

That sounds easy. Aren't neighbouring nations usually the most hated country?

He's sick of the Swiss!

https://youtu.be/i2XTuc6i1Uo

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I came across a humorous quote by Gregory of Nyssa, an Orthodox bishop who lived in the 4th century CE and was later beatified. This excerpt is from when he traveled to Constantinople, and captures the fervor with which the different Christian doctrines were hashed out by the common folk, not just the clergy.

quote:

Everywhere, in humble homes, in the streets, in the marketplace, at street corners, one finds people talking about the most unexpected subjects. If I ask for my bill, the reply is a comment about the virgin birth; if I ask the price of bread, I am told that the Father is greater than the Son; when I ask whether my bath is ready, I am told that the Son was created from nothing.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
of course they were, just like modern political topics are discussed by everyday people not just senators! it's still neat and important to be reminded of that though of course!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know this guy must've been mentioned before, but Hegelochus's fuckup reminds me of Ea-nasir, the shadiest trader of all time.

EDIT: Dude even has his own fanfiction, some of which is :nws: Somehow I find this the most hilarious aspect of his story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just read a pretty interesting book about the history of poison, and there's some stories in there that belong in this thread sometime when I'm not not phoneposting. For now, have the antimony pill. It relaxes the bowels! Its made out of a poisonous metal! And, because it won't digest, you can keep reusing the same pill! Also makes for a great family heirloom. Get yours today!