Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've seen 2 UFOs in my life

But I took a lot of drugs a few times and met the aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think all this stuff is interesting and UFOs are fun to talk about. But I think all the stuff with aliens is bullshit, but I've always been way into all the folklore around UFOs and alien abductions because I'm a gigantic nerd. I just finished reading Whitley Strieber's Communion and and half way through the sequel he wrote to that. I blame the X-Files and the popularity of all the shows about alien abductions that were all the rage in the 90s.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

Dude, the lens on the pod doesn't rotate or move independently. The lens cover is just that, a lens cover. It's colored funny because of the types of light and the senor it is protecting, but otherwise it's just a piece of glass. You actually posted a gif of a FLIR pod where you can see the lens cover not rotating lmao.

That Rick West guy's entire argument revolves around the lens cover rotating for it to work, and those lens cover do not rotate independently of the pod.
Not the singular lens cover, the frontal housing itself as separate from the stuff in the guts. The fact that it rotates, as shown in that gif you totally devastatingly owned me with and in this video too, is what makes the flare/burst rotation happen. The little lens cover doesn't have to move by its own little self to change position in space.

Try this. Look at your christmas tree/a small light/whatever and squint your eyes until the bulbs get that same flare-y burst thing happening (does that make sense? It's a weird thing to articulate and it doesn't work with super dry eyes), then slightly cock your head left and right around an imaginary axis that runs from the tip of your nose through the back of your head. What happens to the little visual flares when you do a simple rotation of the lenses you're seeing them through? They shift relative to the lens, not the object producing light. That's what I was pointing out.

Julius CSAR posted:

Dude, fighter pilots can absolutely identify aircraft from that far away lol. Well not this one because we don't know what it is....

Those statements from the pilots, and the general sound of their voices hold weight whether you want them to or not. Like, we're not getting a telling-after-the-fact here, this is recorded by those dudes, those are genuine emotions from guys who typically try to stay as calm as possible when they're flying. I'm not saying "it's a spaceship" but EVERY SINGLE PERSON I have talked to about these videos who is a pilot; military, civilian, otherwise, has had the exact same reaction to that video as the guys in those jets, even after multiple viewings, and I know a ton of those people. And that's pretty wild in a community full of people who pride themselves on their ability to identify any object in the air as fast and far away as possible, and are usually correct about what they see. And this goes double or triple for the Hornet guys because they're fighter pilots and that's their job. Also there is a whole lot of people in that metabunk thread talking about the video's "chain of custody" when the chain of custody is literally a FOIA request and the Navy has stated with certainty that the video is a real thing actually capture from Navy aircraft.

What are you even arguing about apart from how many cool pilots you totally know that are just out of frame, laughing too? Do you have a central assertion? My only stance in this thread is 'aliens is a dumb answer' and you're taking it really loving hard somehow. Yes, some weird poo poo was documented. I don't think it's some extraterrestrial situation because that seems dumb as hell to me personally. I'm certain each one is something military, or some anomaly that would be perfectly explicable if only we had better information (which we don't). Could be some side-eyed misinformation flex for Russia. Could be a weird-rear end PR campaign to drum up interest in STEM fields. Could be a tangle of lobbyists and Naval brass working together to push through some new thing and these optics help somehow. Could be anything but aliens.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You're confusing Fravor's account and the flir video again. Fravor and the 3 other pilots got within a km or 2 of the object and saw it directly. Why are you arguing so surely when you haven't even read up properly?

You're totally right, I have avs off on my phone and mistook your thing for something else

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's just the plot to the light of other days and future people are only occasionally interested in this period of history

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This is vague, hand-wavy garbage the metabunk dudes need to be true since their analysis relies on ignoring the eyewitnesses. 4 different people saw it.

11 different men testified to seeing the Golden Plates delivered by Joseph Smith Prophet of God. Some men eventually left the Mormon church, but never denied what they saw. This was in like 1834 or some poo poo, when people should have known better.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
What is the universe is concious at different levels but our planet isn't quite 100% there to fully understand this fundemental idea.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
What if our current Earth is in some sort of trouble, and out of harmony

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Science is loving dumb, and incapible of holistically understanding a situation fully

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Im drjunk. Call me a taxi

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Psst... You're a taxi *accelerates at mach 11 away from thread*

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Hey im from rhode island so are you hiiii

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hi dr junk I'm an alien, present your butthole

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Siljmonster posted:

i once saw a ufo it was pretty weird poo poo and i was a kid but it was just weird lights in the sky and not aliens poking my butt

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtFyUeTgAw
:space: posting in the 21st century.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Hi dr junk I'm an alien, present your butthole

a/s/l?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

I went camping with some buds to go see the Brown Mountain lights in NC but we all fell asleep before we could see anything.

The aliens probably put something in our beers

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If the UFOs are so smart maybe they shouldn’t get caught so easily

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
i know why they're here...

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
this time its for real

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

did anyone buy the aliens an account yet

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I believe the Navy pilots saw UFOs but I know for a fact that it wasn't aliens

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Why was it you

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Who What Now posted:

It was gayliens

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Fact: It was highly evolved us from the future

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It was space angels

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Kazak posted:

Fact: It was highly evolved us from the future

Me after refusing to quit nofap:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Why was it you

Not it's because the Great Kazoo told me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Poast more alien’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK27RqA9Drg

(0:47)

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
I've seen 5. I documented the case back in 1996 in newsgroups. Something like alt.paranet.ufo. I used to be able to Google it and get it when it was still archived by Google.
Anyway someone picked it up and posted it on a webpage. So I still have it for posterity.

http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/usa/961010.shtml

"There was this V shaped ghost type object simply floating overhead very slow, making no sound whatsoever. It appeared to be somehow almost cloaked, foggy, or ghost-like. We were able to see stars on the other side. The object was distinctly in shape of a V somewhat tapered at the ends, but whatever it was, it wasn't aerodynamic and had no possible way to "fly" at the rate of velocity at which it was passing."

I didn't draw this. I found it on Google images:

That's nice that the government acknowledges UFOs are real, but by far the most compelling evidence I've seen yet is Bob Lazar. Element 115 etc etc. There was a documentary last year on him. His compound was raided by the FBI during the shooting of it. If you want a nice summary of the documentary watch the Joe Rogan interview.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Phoenix Lights were an interesting case because it's like, okay, I'm willing to concede that this isn't an extraterrestrial spaceship- so what is it?

Oh, geese illuminated by streetlights? And these streetlights would be facing the sky, as we all know streetlights do? In the face of absolute bullshit explanations like this, suddenly aliens from another planet are much more plausible.

The idea that it's government technology (ours or theirs?) has more credence than aliens- but it's also predicated on the notion that there is a "secret" level of high technology that exists on Earth and is used militarily. Of course the military would need a huge budget for this and it's easier to say mundane poo poo like "oh yeah this screwdriver cost $40,000 and creates jobs in Iowa" as opposed to funding skunk works because they're not accountable to anyone anyway.

This is actually somewhat believable to me- probably moreso than aliens visiting Earth and keeping their presence an open secret- because there is far more money to be made by issuing "advances" in technology piecemeal to fully reap the economic benefits of planned obsolescence, and also the fact that the lives of the great unwashed just aren't worth improving to the powers that be.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
how loving stupid do you have to be to take Bob Lazar seriously at this point

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
This is clearly viral marketing for weather balloons.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Tighclops posted:

Joe Rogan stupid

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

fcc compliant bob posted:

That's nice that the government acknowledges UFOs are real, but by far the most compelling evidence I've seen yet is Bob Lazar. Element 115 etc etc. There was a documentary last year on him. His compound was raided by the FBI during the shooting of it. If you want a nice summary of the documentary watch the Joe Rogan interview.

Regardless of any other beliefs you may hold --which is completely fine-- please don't ever take anything Bob Lazar has ever said as truth. He is a con man and conspiracy peddler. The 'raid' on his 'compound' was the police requesting records regarding the sale of a chemical through his business, which was evidence in a criminal trial (of a third party). If memory serves they didn't even have to serve a warrant-- they asked to look around and were invited in. He's a crank shithead.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I didn't take him seriously until my friend forced me to watch the documentary and the Rogan interview.
If you think Rogan threw him softballs or is too "credulous" then you've already shut yourself off to the evidence.

I'm sure you'll find this highly objectionable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpN5PjOxHbo

Body language reading is pretty retarded and the guy who makes the video is kind of too, but if you listen to what he says and get past his goofiness.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Regardless of any other beliefs you may hold --which is completely fine-- please don't ever take anything Bob Lazar has ever said as truth. He is a con man and conspiracy peddler. The 'raid' on his 'compound' was the police requesting records regarding the sale of a chemical through his business, which was evidence in a criminal trial (of a third party). If memory serves they didn't even have to serve a warrant-- they asked to look around and were invited in. He's a crank shithead.

The dude was selling model kits of the supposed alien flying saucers he worked on in the 90s, he knows his target audience.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tighclops posted:

The dude was selling model kits of the supposed alien flying saucers he worked on in the 90s, he knows his target audience.

Why did you wait until Xmas Eve to tell me this, that would be a loving pro-tier eBay white elephant gift

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If it's any consolation I had one of those as a kid and they were pretty lovely model kits

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I found John Lear compelling when I was young and gullible but it's clear that some people are just really good at bullshitting. If you have had an older relative who enjoyed having an audience you can see how some people are just gifted at spinning a yarn and tying up all the loose ends with their storytelling like he was. I'm also reminded of that goon who claimed to be an alien and met people at a bar to answer questions and he had extremely good reasoning to everything that was asked. Didn't mean he was an alien, just that he was quick on his feet.

I first heard of Bob Lazar while reading the Jim Marrs book 'Alien Agenda' which is full of crap but was a compelling read to my 12 year old brain. And there's a kernel of truth somewhere there and the fun part is trying to deduce what is and isn't fake, like the House on the Rock (almost all of it is fake). I might watch some of the Rogan thing because I'm a masochist and he is just dumb enough to ask the right questions sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I see. It was just the police. Yeah. My mistake. If you want to further that point he also ran a brothel at some point if I'm not mistaken. He's always been doing "crank" wacky poo poo. Rocket cars etc. Someone who might be easily discredited if they did go public. They've got records of him working at Los Alamos from the phone book. What of element 115? That was pretty creative to have only been proven existing in 2005. Or the fact that his employment history during that time is completely erased from his social security. If they were willing to erase his records from the file cabinets of the Social Security office, what would have stopped them from walking into MIT and Cal Tech and pulling them from them?