Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Bailiffs wear santa hats to get into the spirit of the season.

Edit: 3 8 1 and became 4

Braggart fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're really not hanging around

https://twitter.com/JennThorburn_/status/1209064433621835777?s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Daddy Chrimbo yessmate

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Give me my present Daddy Chrimbo, I’ve been oh-so-good this year.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ronya posted:

He's right that the end of ambiguity would have sucked either way. My sense is that leaning more Remain would have reduced losses but it's certainly arguable.

I don't think it would have been credibly possible to lean more remain, other than full revoke A50. The way I see it, the next steps from Labour's position would have been:

- As it was, but promise to campaign for remain in the 2nd ref (either as a party, or Corbyn personally). This would have been a disaster, as you are now promising to negotiate a new deal, only to immediately campaign against it.
- No renegotiation, just promising a 2nd ref between the existing deal and remain, and promise to campaign for remain. For this to be credible, Labour would also have to promise to honour the existing deal if Leave won again. Not credible because the deal was terrible.
- Immediate 2nd ref, campaign for remain, but if Leave won a 2nd ref, renegotiate a new deal and carry it out. Possible but not exactly a clear and simple message to campaign on which was already something Labour was being attacked on. And it would be clear that Labour would be negotiating a deal they didn't want.

I can't think of anything beyond that wouldn't be a straight up revoke A50 position.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

the timing in Mills' narrative is off somewhere because the Commons passed the early general election on Oct 31st, shortly after the 3 month extension to 31st Jan was granted. So whatever Labour decides in November can't undo the GE

I think in that post we see a reaching for a grander meaning, a way we could not have been completely obliterated. I don't think there's much to it. The way facebook's algorithm now works against us because you can still buy viral content, but only for post-truth viewers, and only with absurd amounts of unregistered spending, is one of the few interesting things I've seen since probably the 15th, directly contradicting Mills praise of Corbyn's social media team. Congrats at winning twitter, turns out that twitter is loving irrelevant. Facebook is still really important though, and we did loving terribly there. Great work. As for "We should have hid from an election and played no-deal brinksmanship", it's not just about it not being something the party had technical control over, it's just not a credible position in any scenario - the labour party has an obligation to not play chicken with a bunch of loving vampires who entirely want the crash and ensuing body count.

I did laugh at Mills description of good leadership because it felt, in light of what I saw, incredibly pointed. I cannot stress how much I hated pretty much everyone who got to call shots, and how loving terrible they were at it. The sole moment of consideration for the views of others I actually saw in the campaign was when Corbyn moved his coat so I could sit down and watch yet another dumb loving argument that involved regional denying reality, this time about how you don't need to contact or canvass anyone that was canvassed in loving january. Last time I posted someone asked me if it was true people stormed out and I don't even know which loving clp they meant. Did I post the thing about the coffee? I'm only just sobering up from the loss and my brain isn't functioning properly yet

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Labours position was pretty much stealth remain with a rigged second referendum that would 100% end up as remain because Tory leave voters would be very hesitant to vote for a Labour brexit deal.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Katt posted:

Labours position was pretty much stealth remain with a rigged second referendum that would 100% end up as remain because Tory leave voters would be very hesitant to vote for a Labour brexit deal.

This, but it wasn't in any way stealthy so it didn't work

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well I mean it was trying to be stealthy :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/WarmongerHodges/status/1208845004019523584?s=20

https://twitter.com/Geoelte_Spinne/status/1208522165265616898?s=20

Katt fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 23, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Failed Imagineer posted:

Unless you were a Lib Dem voter in which case CORBYN VOTED LEAVE IN NANDO'S :byodame:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

quote:

you harm not just me but our movement.

yes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Phillips and Weetman were grown in the same lab experiment on the limits of Twitter-based narcissism, prove me wrong

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's Tweetman been up to in the past year? Fill me in on our favorite pundit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Katt posted:

Tweeting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Katt posted:

"Jesus Christ was Jewish, so I'm pretty sure he'd have been standing with the Jewish community in protesting Corbyn's Labour"

That.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rarity posted:

Tweeting

There was also that one night she gave up Tweeting forever.

She came back in the morning to resume tweeting.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

"Jesus Christ was Jewish, so I'm pretty sure he'd have been standing with the Jewish community in protesting Corbyn's Labour"

That.

Amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean Jesus famously hated poor people and thought being rich was excellent of course

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Corbyn was probably a bit soft on money lenders for Jesus taste.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Are the Corbynite Continuum and Johnson's Johnsons new factions in the upcoming star trek Picard series?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/rbrooks45/status/1209077801783111680?s=20

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

corbynite continuum sounds cool as heck, like a sci-fi guerrilla movement

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Are the Corbynite Continuum and Johnson's Johnsons new factions in the upcoming star trek Picard series?

having watched TNG for the first time recently i was surprised at how many essentially god like beings they encounter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pretty sure you can commit deicide by just fiddling with the knobs on the deflector dish.

Honestly it's really daft that they only fit space ships with one of those, I'd put like half a dozen on and solve every problem.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Spangly A posted:

Last time I posted someone asked me if it was true people stormed out and I don't even know which loving clp they meant. Did I post the thing about the coffee?

Think it was probably me asking but I was more curious about why Jen Forbes would have been a terrible MP (I'm in St Austell & Newquay, have nothing to do with Truro except lending occasional hand at elections). I don't remember you saying anything about coffee.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

having watched TNG for the first time recently i was surprised at how many essentially god like beings they encounter

Then you get to DS9, where Sisko both punches a god in the face and upsets him, then becomes a demi-god himself. Kinda owns

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Then you get to DS9, where Sisko both punches a god in the face and upsets him, then becomes a demi-god himself. Kinda owns

You hit me! :( Picard never hit me!
I'm...not...Picard

:dance:

DS9 Trek best Trek

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pages ago but lmao no one with that bio is ever going to have a good opinion on anything

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Coohoolin posted:

Pages ago but lmao no one with that bio is ever going to have a good opinion on anything

Bio is superfluous once you see av and username

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Bio is superfluous once you see av and username
How do you do, fellow human rights likers?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
LOL 1871

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:lol: 1871

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Actually just looked at that dudes tweets and he might lead the most boring/depressing life in NI, quite an achievement

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Actually just looked at that dudes tweets and he might lead the most boring/depressing life in NI, quite an achievement

*walks past a bunch of car bombs only for his lovely boringness to cause their mechanisms to fail and not go off*

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
LOL 1922, motherfuckers

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'm picturing a Sweeney Todd scenario

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I do note that they say "Eliminate Rough Sleeping" and not "Eliminate Homelessness". Bodies are going to pile up somewhere, just not in sight.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"vows to stop people sleeping on the streets" sure has an air of menace to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Each homeless person will be accompanied by a minder who will poke them with a stick every time they start to nod off.