Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just saw an interview with Cavill talking about Geralt and he's describing what a Witcher is etc and there's multiple things I realised they just didn't bother to explain to the audience. He talks about potions and describes how after consuming a potion Geralt might be able to hear a pin drop, people talking through multiple walls, or how a potion can change him so much there's a point in the books where he has to force himself to stay dead still so someone can't realise just how fast he can now move and we never are told any of this, we just see him drink a drink and his eyes get a bit veiny. I think if we'd seen how super human he can get it would have really built up just how other he is compared to regular people.

As discussed the magic is also never explained he just force pushes some people at one point and that's our introduction to it. The whole two swords thing isn't covered either and I know it's kind of a small detail but I think him just stating I have two swords one for people one for monsters would have been nice.

The audience is told that Geralt and witchers are emotionless when in actuality this is just a rumour witchers let people believe. But I can see the audience being very confused when Geralt actually shows he cares about people etc.

He ages slow and we don't really get any indication of this. He's like in his 80s by the end of the season. I think that's the result of the time skipping being done poorly, it's hardly clear that ~30 years pass between Yen being made a mage and the present with Ciri. Have Geralt go on an adventure with someone and then in an episode further on in the season have that same person be an old man or woman.

I think this show just does a poor job of building up just what a Witcher is, what they're capable of, the lore behind them etc. Cavill seems to get it but I don't think the show runners do. Geralt really just feels like a guy who's good with a sword, more like a samurai/ Ronin character who chooses solitude and they've failed to show that no actually he's very different to humans (showing people age around him would help this) and that isolates him from the world.

We'll likely get a bunch of this in season 2 when he gets to kaer morhen but a lot of it should have been covered already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Did they choose an older actress for Ciri so she didn't age out of the story?

Probably so they can portray her growing up through the saga without having to recast. The actress is 18, I think? And portrayed a 12 year old Ciri this season. By the end of the books/game timeline Ciri is about 19.

e: they did age her up a bit in general as well, i think. ciri is young af at the start of the books.

e2: re: lack of witcher exposition this season, i imagine we'll be getting a lot of that (as well as geralt's backstory with the trials, probably) when we spend time at Kaer Morhen next season

e3: oh you said that already lmbo

esperterra fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 23, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they’re trying to go for broad market, non-thinking viewers at this point in a show that features a bunch of titties, magic, and fancy swordplay. Talking about potion recipes isn’t gonna hook my parents, for example, and I bet those sorts of things will be relegated as nods to the game/book audience. Or become a big part of Ciri’s training

Remember it’s essentially trying to eclipse Game of Thrones, a show that was going downhill for more than half of its entire televised run.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

jokes posted:

I think they’re trying to go for broad market, non-thinking viewers at this point in a show that features a bunch of titties, magic, and fancy swordplay. Talking about potion recipes isn’t gonna hook my parents, for example, and I bet those sorts of things will be relegated as nods to the game/book audience. Or become a big part of Ciri’s training

Remember it’s essentially trying to eclipse Game of Thrones, a show that was going downhill for more than half of its entire televised run.

Thing is I'm not really expecting them to have Geralt sit down for an episode and go over every little detail but say with the potions it wouldnt be too hard for him to say "I'm hunting ____, this potion will help" then him drinking it, you see him twitch around as he hears the scratching of a mouse walking along a beam of a barn across the street, something like that. Or as someone suggested earlier when Yen asks him about his magic just have him demonstrate once how he needs to do a sign or what have you, he creates a gust of air that blows her top off and boom you covered that.

But yea I guess I just don't want this to be Game of Thrones so the more witcher stuff they put in the happier I'll be.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 23, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jokes posted:

I don't think a five minute scene showing how the protagonist works is going to drive away casuals

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Arglebargle III posted:

Most publications had it as game of the year 2015. If you like story rich RPGs it's one of the best.

Play it on a controller.

Get the GOTY edition, with both expansions it's easily 150 hours of content. Real content too, not just grinding encounters or time sink pap.

From 5 pages ago, but it's the only witcher game I've played (never read the books either) and I finished it a week ago or so. 150 hours, all of them enjoyable. The blood and wine DLC was a ton of fun. A+, will play again

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JBP posted:

I don't think a five minute scene showing how the protagonist works is going to drive away casuals

Personally I think they're saving all that stuff for Ciri's training it seems the time to make the most narrative sense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Geralt was the only good part of the show. Blew all the CGI budget on the opening fight with the swamp thing, CW actors and actresses, terrible writing full of clunky exposition. Too many flashbacks and the timeline didn't need to bounce back and forth. Cheap production standards too. Nilfgaards armor sets looked like wrinkled balls. Yenn picks the cheapest looking dress out of the ones they got on loan. Tons of shots in the forest. Padded scenes with too much dialogue. It's like they're afraid that the show was going to get canceled if they didn't get the audience to fully understand the world of the Witcher within 8 episodes.

This felt more like Carnival Row than it did Game of Thrones.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

jokes posted:

Personally I think they're saving all that stuff for Ciri's training it seems the time to make the most narrative sense.

He dedicates a good amount of time to preparation before the striga in the books. Seems it would make sense to understand what the protagonist does for a job during the first season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Finished it up. I liked it. Didn't love it, but I liked it. I think they nailed Geralt, Yen, and Jaskier's (Dandelion) characters. Wish there was more monster hunting and research and stuff. Hoping we'll get more of that stuff in the second season. Also looking forward to how they portray the other Witchers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's not great.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The following types of scenes are good:

-Geralt hunting a monster
-Geralt complaining about hunting monsters
-Other people talking about Geralt hunting monsters
-Geralt owning people for talking about him
-Geralt laying pipe

everything else is at best a bad but needed break to the above

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Finished it up. I liked it. Didn't love it, but I liked it. I think they nailed Geralt, Yen, and Jaskier's (Dandelion) characters. Wish there was more monster hunting and research and stuff. Hoping we'll get more of that stuff in the second season. Also looking forward to how they portray the other Witchers.

Pretty much my entire take after finishing s1 tonight. I know a "sword and sorcery" fantasy show isnt going to get 22 episode seasons any more, but hot drat wouldn't this be a sweet bit of IP for a "monster of the week" show?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

physeter posted:

I like the show, but it's a little sad that live actors don't hold a candle to the "acting" of the cartoon characters in Witcher 3. I will forgive them if they somehow get Jocko Willink to appear as Letho of Gulet in season 2.

MyAnna Burning was in both tho.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

hobbesmaster posted:

Yrden seems like it would’ve solved issues in several fights.

I'm only through episode 4 but in the books Geralt uses Yrden to seal the sarcophagus to prevent the striga from getting into it, which he also does in the show (and in the show he also uses the same spell to stop her from fleeing the room they're fighting in). It being a lightning trap was a game adaptation I think.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Gimme that original soundtrack Netflix. I want that orchestral version of Sweet Kiss that plays during episode 6 when Geralt and Yen reconcile.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Voted Goku, discovered Goku isn't winning, smdh TV IV is the worst

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

The series is called The Witcher, the primary protagonist is a witcher, surely even just summarizing what a witcher is or does within the first couple of episodes would make the most narrative sense. Even the video games figured out that this is a good idea.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm just listing fish that I know.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

The series is called The Witcher, the primary protagonist is a witcher, surely even just summarizing what a witcher is or does within the first couple of episodes would make the most narrative sense. Even the video games figured out that this is a good idea.

I think one of the thing that defines the style of the witcher books is the random bits of exposition/anecdotes that flesh out the world. The show is missing that style sorely.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have never played the video games, never read anything about the video games, didn't know it was a book, and started watching this show and I'm on episode 5 and I still have no idea what the gently caress a "Witcher" is. At first I thought it was a male witch (you know, like sorcerer/sorceress) but now it's looking more like they are just hired goons trained with magic or whatever.

Anyway I don't want any spoilers but what the gently caress is up with the timeline because it's confusing as gently caress. The way I currently understand it is (again spoilers through episode 5):

30 years ago Yennefer began her training because I think she had a throwaway line about wiping asses for 30 years when she was in the cart?

10-20 years ago Geralt met the bard because I thought he said something about adventuring together for a decade? I guess around this time they go to Cintra and Geralt meets the queen and gets promised Ciri which totally isn't creepy at all.

Today/start of the show Cintra is ransacked and Ciri runs away. Geralt is fishing for the djinn and the bard runs into him. They both meet Yennefer and she saves the bard.

Did I get that right?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have never played the video games, never read anything about the video games, didn't know it was a book, and started watching this show and I'm on episode 5 and I still have no idea what the gently caress a "Witcher" is. At first I thought it was a male witch (you know, like sorcerer/sorceress) but now it's looking more like they are just hired goons trained with magic or whatever.

Anyway I don't want any spoilers but what the gently caress is up with the timeline because it's confusing as gently caress. The way I currently understand it is (again spoilers through episode 5):

30 years ago Yennefer began her training because I think she had a throwaway line about wiping asses for 30 years when she was in the cart?

10-20 years ago Geralt met the bard because I thought he said something about adventuring together for a decade? I guess around this time they go to Cintra and Geralt meets the queen and gets promised Ciri which totally isn't creepy at all.

Today/start of the show Cintra is ransacked and Ciri runs away. Geralt is fishing for the djinn and the bard runs into him. They both meet Yennefer and she saves the bard.

Did I get that right?

I think its pretty much that order. In the stories that the episodes are based on, they are all about Geralt and the other characters are introduced along his timeline, which i think would've felt a little more natural.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vilgefartz posted:

I think its pretty much that order. In the stories that the episodes are based on, they are all about Geralt and the other characters are introduced along his timeline, which i think would've felt a little more natural.

Is there a reason why the characters don't visibly age, like is it just how the world is due to magic or something or laziness on Netflix's part and the fact that it would give away the nonlinear timeline?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Witchers age slowly because magic/mutation, sorceresses can live very long because magic, and maintain their young appearance because, roughly quoting the books, 'they make themselves beautiful because the prestige of their profession demands it' or something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think elves are given more explanation and backstory than witchers in the first season of The Witcher

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Geralt is like 75 years old

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a reason why the characters don't visibly age, like is it just how the world is due to magic or something or laziness on Netflix's part and the fact that it would give away the nonlinear timeline?

yes, it's not laziness Witchers age much more slowly than humans, nobody is sure how long their life spans are because none ever die of natural causes, but they can last for at least several hundred years without a noticeable decline in physical abilities or presenting an apparent age beyond 40-50 or so, sorceresses/mages/wizards/etc. are potentially even more long-lived and also have the ability to alter and fix their appearance

though there is no known non-lazy explanation of why Geralt always has the same horse at different points in his timeline - in the novels/games his horse is always called Roach, but that's just because he names a bunch of them the same thing

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

The series doesn't have to tell this since it shows what a witcher is and does in the first few episodes and later on we even get some flashbacks to Geralt's childhood. There isn't really all that much to a monster-hunter-for-hire career; if anything what could be helpful is a Grimm-type Monster Compendium so we can learn more about the other mutants and beings in this world.

Blasted through the series over the weekend, really fun if somewhat underwritten sword & sorcery tales. Much like a D&D campaign, there's just enough plot to connect the action sequences while leaving room for future adventures and political intrigue.

Also reminds me of Zatoichi - lone fighter travelling the road without a big overall plan; and everywhere he goes he leaves a pile of bodies in his wake LOL. And a survivor or two who learn a valuable lesson about dealing with a witcher and their own inner demon.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess around this time they go to Cintra and Geralt meets the queen and gets promised Ciri which totally isn't creepy at all.

Geralt is promised Ciri because he dismissely suggests Law of Surprise as a reward for saving Sonic, which is like playing a "Whatever loot the guy receives next, you get it instead" card. In this medieval period a child can be considered loot, which is how Sonic gets his wife from the King he saved years previously. Not following the terms of Law of Surprise has supernatural ramifications as seen by the sacking of Cintra when Queen Calanthe tries to switch out her granddaughter with Fake Ciri

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Also as the show hammers down mercilessly, Destiny is a big deal and a lot of stuff (including both events from the spoilers above) are definitely not casual.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LGD posted:

yes, it's not laziness Witchers age much more slowly than humans, nobody is sure how long their life spans are because none ever die of natural causes, but they can last for at least several hundred years without a noticeable decline in physical abilities or presenting an apparent age beyond 40-50 or so, sorceresses/mages/wizards/etc. are potentially even more long-lived and also have the ability to alter and fix their appearance

though there is no known non-lazy explanation of why Geralt always has the same horse at different points in his timeline - in the novels/games his horse is always called Roach, but that's just because he names a bunch of them the same thing

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why dandelion and the other human characters don't age.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why dandelion and the other human characters don't age.

Yen makes a joke at how he's getting crow's feet around his eyes. And the other humans do age(or die). Mostly die.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
The most annoying part of this show is that Geralt takes a lot of baths but Cavill is always super careful not to get his wig wet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The most annoying part of this show is that Geralt takes a lot of baths but Cavill is always super careful not to get his wig wet.

Sure sounds annoying if you noticed this.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Also never see his dong

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i imagine the massive weight cut water loss does nothing to improve the overall look of the hog.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Really love what ive watched so far and entirely unsurprised by the reaction here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

Geralt is promised Ciri because he dismissely suggests Law of Surprise as a reward for saving Sonic, which is like playing a "Whatever loot the guy receives next, you get it instead" card. In this medieval period a child can be considered loot, which is how Sonic gets his wife from the King he saved years previously. Not following the terms of Law of Surprise has supernatural ramifications as seen by the sacking of Cintra when Queen Calanthe tries to switch out her granddaughter with Fake Ciri

Yes I get that but I took it to mean that he was promised the unborn baby to be his future wife, basically this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MJEAGd1bQuc.

Anyway I binged through the rest of the season and the 2nd to last episode clears up the entire timeline. Looks like I was slightly wrong about the ransacking of Cintra and Gerald meeting Jennefer happening at the same time but that was a minor detail.

So how come the mages don’t just teleport around everywhere like they show they are able to? Why bother sailing a boat and then marching for days to get to the castle? Also in the last episode when the mage with the sword ran out of mana and couldn’t bring his sword back is that a permanent thing or do they just need to rest/drink a potion and they can do magic again?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This is actually a running joke in the novels and games. Dandelion is in his 40s by the last game but still acts like a Randy 20 something and his friends never let him hear the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Geralt meets the queen and gets promised Ciri which totally isn't creepy at all.

I was wondering if anyone was gonna mention this -- was it not super creepy for the presumably adult hedgehog knight too? "Man, that's a cute baby your wife just gave birth to. I'll be back in 18 years so I can marry it and start pumping out some grandkids for you." Geralt, not being a sex predator, at least assumes he'll just be linked with his surprise baby, not that she's gonna be his wife.