Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Data Graham posted:

He suddenly "remembers" that he's about to wish people a merry christmas and oh yeah that's one of his pet tangents to go off on, so he record-skips straight into it

it's not that hard to grasp what he's doing

Yes he is senile but this pretending every well-practiced performance he puts on is just the gibbering of a madman does us no favors

Yes, pretending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

eXXon posted:

I'd at least give him a half mark for knowing that the Earth is smaller than the universe.

Future gameshow spinoff of "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?", "Are You Smarter Than 45?"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

I like the idea that Donald Trump Jr is such a loser he makes up knowing people, even z-list celebrities, in a desperate attempt to seem cool.

From a couple of pages ago but to give people who aren't familiar with how low Vanilla Ice has sunk, I saw him at a show about 10 years ago in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. As you might imagine the crowd of less than 100 people started chanting "Ninja, ninja rap" at which point he got visibly angry, went offstage briefly but then came back out and did the song, presumably because he needed the money.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It seems like Republicans might be gearing up for trying to make the argument that they just start the Senate trial without waiting for the House to submit their notice of impeachment. That they can just make a simple majority vote to change the rules and start the trial anyways; last I checked the Supreme Court had ruled that impeachment is not in their jurisdiction; so what would stop the Senate if they tried and if at least 51 or 50+Pence Senators were onboard?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
0-2007: Merry Christmas
2008-2016: Happy Holidays
2017-orb: Merry Christmas

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

It seems like Republicans might be gearing up for trying to make the argument that they just start the Senate trial without waiting for the House to submit their notice of impeachment. That they can just make a simple majority vote to change the rules and start the trial anyways; last I checked the Supreme Court had ruled that impeachment is not in their jurisdiction; so what would stop the Senate if they tried and if at least 51 or 50+Pence Senators were onboard?

If they have the votes they can do it. No one can stop them.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

He suddenly "remembers" that he's about to wish people a merry christmas and oh yeah that's one of his pet tangents to go off on, so he record-skips straight into it

it's not that hard to grasp what he's doing

Yes he is senile but this pretending every well-practiced performance he puts on is just the gibbering of a madman does us no favors

i get all this. i know what he's doing and why he's doing it but the way he sounds and his body language is so hosed up it's just crazy to me.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Alabama evangelist Acton Bowen sentenced to 1,008 years in sex abuse cases

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/SecurityAt30/status/1208931010722848768

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So I hear Matt Bevin's got nine kids. Wouldn't surprise me if he molested or attempted to molest any of them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is particularly nutty, windmills emit gasses and pollution now?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

empty whippet box posted:

This is particularly nutty, windmills emit gasses and pollution now?

During their fabrication process, I think he means.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)
If a Presidential candidate doesn't call him Don Quixote they are failing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

pkay posted:

Failing at being a huge dork.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

In lovely gold marker no less

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Constitution is extremely clear on this matter that the House has sole power of impeachment. That means they get to decide what happens until they tell the Senate that the trial should begin.

But Republicans give zero shits about the Constitution, so they can proceed with a sham trial, knowing the media does not have the tools or desire to explain to people that what they're doing is illegitimate. So they can just do it, and give Trump his "Senate exonerates the President" headlines he so desperately wants, and there isn't really much that can be done.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pkay posted:

But Donkey Brains is right there

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

But Donkey Brains is right there

Can't he just get someone at Walter Reed to certify that he doesn't have Donkey Brains though? I'm pretty sure they'll print up a Certificate of No Donkey Brains if Diddums asks them to.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Compared to polling taken back in October, the Democratic margin in all the head-to-heads has been cut by at least 5 points.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Petr posted:

Compared to polling taken back in October, the Democratic margin in all the head-to-heads has been cut by at least 5 points.

Although all polling is fiction, hypothetical head-to-heads are stupider and faker than most

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Inferior Third Season posted:

The Constitution is extremely clear on this matter that the House has sole power of impeachment. That means they get to decide what happens until they tell the Senate that the trial should begin.

But Republicans give zero shits about the Constitution, so they can proceed with a sham trial, knowing the media does not have the tools or desire to explain to people that what they're doing is illegitimate. So they can just do it, and give Trump his "Senate exonerates the President" headlines he so desperately wants, and there isn't really much that can be done.

The constitution is extremely clear in that it says, literally, "The house shall have the sole power of impeachment."

There is nothing laid out in the constitution about timeframes or the precise sequence of events between the house exercising it's power to impeach and the senate exercising it's power to try that impeachment. The rules governing that are completely made up by both parties in their rulebooks and can be changed without bringing the constitution into this at all.

The problem being in uncharted rules-lawyering water is that two sides are coming to completely different conclusions and everyone else just looks around and shrugs because there isn't precedent for this. You read "sole power of impeachment" and decide that means the House has complete discretion over the entire concept of an Impeachment up until they decide to officially pass it off to the Senate. People on the other side read "sole power of impeachment" as the House is totally given the sole authority to impeach someone, but that's it and that the House can't then have a list of demands and conditions preventing the Senate from exercising it's sole power of trying that impeachment.

I'm not sure if it was impossible to foresee how nuts things have gotten or if the founding fathers were just as stupid as we are.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

3eST wiSHeS
Suoalas Summmmmmyh

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm not sure if it was impossible to foresee how nuts things have gotten or if the founding fathers were just as stupid as we are.
"So everything should be gravy as long as we have this checks and balances thing."

"But what if the checks and balances provided by this three branch system is upended by two or more of those branches becoming hilariously corrupt?"

"Then the people should probably do an armed revolution. We did it, right? We'll even make a provision that they'll always have the guns available to do that if need be."

"Okay, but what if the advent of technology makes those guns worthless versus what they'd be fighting and..."

"Look I'm supposed to be having my wig refitted and Ben wants me to read this article he wrote on farts, can you just roll with it? Thanks."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The constitution is supposed to be rewritten on a regular basis, but somehow we've forgotten it can ever change... even though we were amending it for most of its existence.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Why should we re-write it when we can just appoint judges who rule that buying politicians is free speech?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Petr posted:

Show us the stats and the links

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Show us the stats and the links

A face said it on cnn. I have a job.

Also, doug jones is going to vote to acquit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Petr posted:

A face said it on cnn. I have a job.

Also, doug jones is going to vote to acquit.

Dude you're posting in D&D, "I have a job" holds no water

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

umbrage posted:

3eST wiSHeS
Suoalas Summmmmmyh

:finland:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
The editor of Christianity Today claims that new subscribers are outnumbering cancellations 3 to 1.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/475706-christianity-today-receives-boost-in-new-subscriptions-after-calling-for

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soviet Commubot posted:

From a couple of pages ago but to give people who aren't familiar with how low Vanilla Ice has sunk, I saw him at a show about 10 years ago in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. As you might imagine the crowd of less than 100 people started chanting "Ninja, ninja rap" at which point he got visibly angry, went offstage briefly but then came back out and did the song, presumably because he needed the money.
Didn't he straight up change his career to something like real estate and turned out to be real good at it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wark Say posted:

Didn't he straight up change his career to something like real estate and turned out to be real good at it?

I enjoyed that scene in Breaking Good

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I thought he flipped houses or something. I rember a short-lived reality show about it somewhere.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I thought he flipped houses or something. I rember a short-lived reality show about it somewhere.

it's still on and been running for like 8 seasons now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wark Say posted:

He's doing fine. He owns the rights to "Under Pressure." He bought them to resolve the copyright suit.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it's still on and been running for like 8 seasons now.

Jesus, yeah, just saw that. Time dilation in full effect

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
People’s Republic of China? More like the Cucks’ Republic.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

sean10mm posted:

The constitution is supposed to be rewritten on a regular basis, but somehow we've forgotten it can ever change... even though we were amending it for most of its existence.

A sunset clause should have been written into the constitution. Something the triggers every 100 years or so.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
So, let's pretend Democrats win the White House and Senate in 2020. An aggressive push to add Puerto Rico and Washington DC as states should be a top priority. Republicans have leveraged every single opportunity afforded them to take power, why shouldn't they fight back? It's the easiest way to institute control over the government and once it's in, it would be even harder for republicans to retake the Senate without seriously moving back towards the center. This should be a rallying cry that is repeated endlessly. Republicans have used the courts, and dems should use the other two branches of government to fight back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's doing fine. He owns the rights to "Under Pressure." He bought them to resolve the copyright suit.

"UPDATE: A spokesman for Queen tells Ultimate Classic Rock that Vanilla Ice's statement is inaccurate. "An arrangement was made whereby the publishing in the song was shared."

Read More: Vanilla Ice Claims He Owns Queen's 'Under Pressure' | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/vanilla-ice-under-pressure/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral