Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I work in a meat department for a company that's currently in the process of driving out all their experienced meat market managers and folk. Why? Because they make close to twenty dollars an hour, lots of legacy workers from back when we actually cut the lion's share of our meat instead of selling a lot of pre-pack.

I've worked in the department for roughly two months now and we've still not had time to train me how to cut a steak. The time is not there. I know how to do it in theory, but I've only been shown once, and I'm not going to waste hundreds of dollars of ribeye and strip trying to wing out a sleigh of steaks to satisfy some finicky fucks who won't be happy with anything that falls from my knife.

We've people ask us if we cut roasts, or if we'll cut this that or the udder thing for them. No, we don't. No, we can't. Even if I knew how, if I cut anything that isn't authorized, I'll get extremely fired.

People ask me about the merits of this cut of steak versus that cut of steak. Just last night I told a guy, "I don't know, sir. It's a good week if I can afford to buy a cut of steak." It's even worse when people use old or regional names for cuts of meat. Y'all know what the gently caress a hog maw is? Pig stomach. You know what makes it better? When forty different geriatrics all have a different definition of what qualifies as a goddamn ham hock and none of them are satisfied with what you've got in stock.

One of the few rewarding things at work is when I learn to do new tasks and accumulate knowledge so of course they actively discourage it and everyone, managers and customers, get mad when you don't know.

That's a very poo poo situation, but they're not wrong to be angry. You're not wrong to be angry. The only thing is that they shouldn't be angry at you, they should be angry at the fucks who staff a meat department with people who can't cut meat, and don't bother to train them. That's not your fault on any level, that's management, and everyone should be pissed off at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea but the workers are the ones who suffer, not management.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea but the workers are the ones who suffer, not management.

I agree 100%, and that absolutely must be fixed. Customers need to start getting pissed off at management and making a big stink about it to the store managers, rather than badgering some minimum wage worker who hasn't received the training that, by rights, they should be entitled to.

Bitch at the store managers, bitch at the regional managers, bitch at corporate. They're the ones making the decisions and holding the pursestrings.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

PT6A posted:

I agree 100%, and that absolutely must be fixed. Customers need to start getting pissed off at management and making a big stink about it to the store managers, rather than badgering some minimum wage worker who hasn't received the training that, by rights, they should be entitled to.

Bitch at the store managers, bitch at the regional managers, bitch at corporate. They're the ones making the decisions and holding the pursestrings.

They already did. They save enough money by hiring the least trained labor that they can pay for an extra customer service rep to handle your complaint.

Editor's note: the customer service drone will also be functional as an emotional air bag for management safety, much like untrained retail drones

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

PT6A posted:

That's a very poo poo situation, but they're not wrong to be angry. You're not wrong to be angry. The only thing is that they shouldn't be angry at you, they should be angry at the fucks who staff a meat department with people who can't cut meat, and don't bother to train them. That's not your fault on any level, that's management, and everyone should be pissed off at them.

I remember once, long ago, reading an article about house cats. It stated that if they got agitated at something, but were prevented from interacting with that stimuli, they could and would direct it toward whatever next caught their attention.

Most people are as stupid as house cats. They assume "I don't know" goes hand in hand with "I don't care" or "gently caress you and the shopping cart you rode in on."

And it don't matter, because if they complain up the ladder, the people at the top'o the wall ain't gonna go "we should really train our conscripts better". They're just going to pour boiling oil on us, and apologize to the customers with regard our unsightly, blistered corpses.

Some dick the other day, I told him, "I'm not trained to do that. I can grind beef, but I was brought to this department to take care of other things." Which- is true. I can't cut anything, but I can run our pre-packaged poo poo and manage our inventory very well. I've got half a decade ( kill me ) in grocery and perishable foods. I'm good at it. I'm fast. I know what I'm doing at the stuff I've accumulated the knowledge to do.

He proceeded to spend the next five minutes asking me, "You cut this?" "You cut that?" and when I told him ( about ten times ) that everything was pre-packed, he just looked at me and said, "What do you even do? What good are you?" Shitbird, I know you don't know how to do it either.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's this expectation also that grocery stores will butcher the cow in back on the spot so you can have the freshest cuts, and it's like... as a consumer, if you don't see meat cutting equipment, they probably don't cut meat. maybe someone comes in on day shift to carve up some fish or whatever and after they're gone other folks sell those cuts but drat, if you want fresh cut meat, go find a specialty butcher. this is a drift over time because probably when a lot of boomers were young such a thing as a corner butcher still existed but now if you live in a suburban hellscape then you're getting plastic wrapped steaks from a freezer and that's just how it is

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Employees with knowledge and expertise are employees with leverage. Can't be having that in retail (or every other American job because we are a hellscape for labor). Workers with little to no training is a feature, not a bug, and that change is not going to come from management, who have zero power to change institutional priorities.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 20, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PT6A posted:

Customers need to start getting pissed off at management and making a big stink about it to the store managers, rather than badgering some minimum wage worker who hasn't received the training that, by rights, they should be entitled to.
The people who scream at service workers aren't going to unite in political solidarity against management, because screaming at the workers is the customer service experience they really wanted all along.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Shareholders long ago decided that pouring boiling oil on the conscripts was cheaper and more effective than paying workers better

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s mostly gonna be boomers who get mad and retail drones. I worked retail a lot longer than I would like to admit and most younger people get the answers they want from the internet. At this point if you expect any real answers from a big box retail stores you are a moron. They gently caress over their workers so much that it’s hard to even find a person that knows where general items are located in the store.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I work in a meat department for a company that's currently in the process of driving out all their experienced meat market managers and folk. Why? Because they make close to twenty dollars an hour, lots of legacy workers from back when we actually cut the lion's share of our meat instead of selling a lot of pre-pack.

I've worked in the department for roughly two months now and we've still not had time to train me how to cut a steak. The time is not there. I know how to do it in theory, but I've only been shown once, and I'm not going to waste hundreds of dollars of ribeye and strip trying to wing out a sleigh of steaks to satisfy some finicky fucks who won't be happy with anything that falls from my knife.

We've people ask us if we cut roasts, or if we'll cut this that or the udder thing for them. No, we don't. No, we can't. Even if I knew how, if I cut anything that isn't authorized, I'll get extremely fired.

People ask me about the merits of this cut of steak versus that cut of steak. Just last night I told a guy, "I don't know, sir. It's a good week if I can afford to buy a cut of steak." It's even worse when people use old or regional names for cuts of meat. Y'all know what the gently caress a hog maw is? Pig stomach. You know what makes it better? When forty different geriatrics all have a different definition of what qualifies as a goddamn ham hock and none of them are satisfied with what you've got in stock.

One of the few rewarding things at work is when I learn to do new tasks and accumulate knowledge so of course they actively discourage it and everyone, managers and customers, get mad when you don't know.

What store do you work for, if you don't mind me asking? I have a friend who's a meat manager at a Sprouts and he's always bitching about how they never give him the hours to give his staff. A couple years back he even cut into his own hours to give some to his employees.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s mostly gonna be boomers who get mad and retail drones. I worked retail a lot longer than I would like to admit and most younger people get the answers they want from the internet. At this point if you expect any real answers from a big box retail stores you are a moron. They gently caress over their workers so much that it’s hard to even find a person that knows where general items are located in the store.

Yeah. I worked in retail for most of my adult life. And now that I'm out, I treat retail employees like royalty. Even if the service I'm getting is bad, because I know they're doing everything they can but haven't been given the tools to do their job proper and is probably barely making his own ends meet.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

PT6A posted:

But at a Home Depot or a Best Buy where there's tons of employees, yeah, there should be at least one around at any given time that can answer a moderately in-depth question about any given product. But it's management's responsibility to make that happen.

PT6A posted:

Well then I guess you have to pay money to get an expert, or send a non-expert for training at your expense. Them's the breaks.

Hardware chains aren't going to do this because relatively few customers actually think the 25 year old/octogenarian stocking the shelves knows anything, and the idiots who do will bitch about it for a little bit but ultimately make the purchase because there isn't a better option.

I was one of the clueless 20-something Menards employees. The only training I was offered was online and had to be done on personal time. Even then, it was mostly poo poo like organizing endcaps and how unions are bad and Obama is killing businesses (I'm not joking).

People with experience are expensive, and you don't become the richest man in Wisconsin by laying out the red carpet for construction workers.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 20, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

What store do you work for, if you don't mind me asking? I have a friend who's a meat manager at a Sprouts and he's always bitching about how they never give him the hours to give his staff. A couple years back he even cut into his own hours to give some to his employees.

I won't say, but it isn't related to that chain. It's part of a larger picture of the grocery business in general, especially with mid-range stores that are trying to compete in the Whole Foods ORGANIC market space without realizing that it mostly causes them to bleed money hand over fist.

Department managers should have more control over what they stock and what they don't because while a store in an area with X amount of wealth might be need to carry those products and turn a profit on them, a store where a significant amount of money comes from EBT customers would be better served carrying more mid/low range food, especially of the prepackaged variety.

The result is that we throw away a titanic amount of meat and miss potential sales on products we could be selling, which results in thinner margins and lower on-paper return per man-hour spent. This is without factoring the hidden cost of how much time it takes to weigh, tag, and stock product that doesn't sell- or the time we take to mark it down when we're trying like hell to sell it before we have to chuck it.

It's all so very loving stupid and wasteful.

Baronash posted:

People with experience are expensive, and you don't become the richest man in Wisconsin by laying out the red carpet for construction workers.

Oh word, I was just up there. I saw uh... gently caress, what's it? Woodmans. Entirely employee owned grocery store that starts their workers at eighteen dollars an hour. Place was loving amazing and had a liquor store the size of a goddamn walmart.

I bought a hundred and fifty dollars in liquor and another fifty in cheese.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 20, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PT6A posted:

Well then I guess you have to pay money to get an expert, or send a non-expert for training at your expense. Them's the breaks.

This is what commissioned sales people were for.

Nearly every industry except cars got rid of them because they don't make that many more sales than the min wage folks for much more labor cost.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I used to work at a Whole Foods as an ATL and had to do the same thing. No hours, could never get anything done, could never get the team organized, the senior team members refused to cooperate, the TL and I didn't really work that well together, and this was during a company-wide reorganization (post-Amazon purchase), so I had to deal with regional checking up on us constantly in the meantime. Fun times.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shinji2015 posted:

I used to work at a Whole Foods as an ATL and had to do the same thing. No hours, could never get anything done, could never get the team organized, the senior team members refused to cooperate, the TL and I didn't really work that well together, and this was during a company-wide reorganization (post-Amazon purchase), so I had to deal with regional checking up on us constantly in the meantime. Fun times.

It really did seem like the regional management turned into gestapo offices after the amazon buy. I knew a few shiftys at WF and the feeling was real

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It really did seem like the regional management turned into gestapo offices after the amazon buy. I knew a few shiftys at WF and the feeling was real

Main reason I'm not still there is because of regional. I won't go into detail (I was responsible for part of it) but it was extremely frustrating to get fired for what I was fired for, when we couldn't fire a TM for being an absolute dick to other employees and not helping customers because he didn't want to.

I wasn't there for as long as some other people, but the vibe change after Amazon purchased the company was tangible. If you talked to a lot of the older TMs about the changes, it got pretty depressing in a hurry.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Liquid Communism posted:

This is what commissioned sales people were for.

Nearly every industry except cars got rid of them because they don't make that many more sales than the min wage folks for much more labor cost.

Sales people are all b2b now. I work at what technical a retail company but the vast majority of our business is b2b. The guy coming off the street isn't dropping 50k a month on blades but our clients are.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I worked in the Safeway meat dept. about 15 years ago, and while it was lovely and bad, it was nowhere near that lovely and bad. Capitalism is cool, glad to see we are improving things.

On the first day I worked, the lady training me showed me these gnarly chemical burn scars on her arms from one of the cleaning agents we hosed the place down with every night.

Jokes on them though, I'd take the premium shrimp into the freezer and eat it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot still has a lot of knowledge employees because it attracts a lot of retirees and people who used to be tradesmen and just want something to do for a couple hours a few days a week.

HD also loves them because they don't have to pay them poo poo because they're getting paid from social security or their pensions anyways.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FCKGW posted:

Home Depot still has a lot of knowledge employees because it attracts a lot of retirees and people who used to be tradesmen and just want something to do for a couple hours a few days a week.

HD also loves them because they don't have to pay them poo poo because they're getting paid from social security or their pensions anyways.

Whenever I go to lowes/HD if I ask someone for help they always walk around and find some old guy who also works there and then ask him

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The result is that we throw away a titanic amount of meat and miss potential sales on products we could be selling, which results in thinner margins and lower on-paper return per man-hour spent. This is without factoring the hidden cost of how much time it takes to weigh, tag, and stock product that doesn't sell- or the time we take to mark it down when we're trying like hell to sell it before we have to chuck it.
My parents bought a small grocery/convenience store in the early 80s and my sister and I were basically conscripted to work it. At the age of 13, under the laws governing "children can do whatever", I was trained to be a meat cutter.

Within two years at the age of 15 I was basically running our small meat department during summers. Besides markdowns, we had another out to move product before throwing it away: the deli. Slightly browning steaks or roasts? Send through the burger grinder and my mother and sister would make chili for hot dogs. Chicken breasts on the edge of smelling but otherwise ok? Roast them and sell as a lunch special. It was rare for them to tell me, "No we have enough, we can't use it today".

Given my understanding at how at the modern grocery store everything from the deli comes pre-packaged, I can only imagine the amount of meat department waste you're talking about.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Meat Department manager here, all this stuff is too true for me. Never enough hours, 320 labor hours one week, 305 the next makes it really hard to hire, train and retain decent employees because how can they be expected to take a job seriously if they're working 5 days one week, 2 days the next. After about 6 months of that anyone worth a poo poo is going to find something better and you're left with low effort dullards who don't have the motivation to look.

But whoever told the guy "how should I know, I can't even afford to buy any steak" is just wrong wrong wrong. It's not that customers fault, I mean if it's a boomers it's his fault, but you don't say poo poo like that, no one cares about your problems.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Workers not being able to afford the goods they produce is one of the ugliest features of capitalism.

But you're right. The customer isn't just paying for the meat, he's paying for the worker to choke down his indignity at their situation.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
if people say "the customer is always right", remind them that a certain austrian bought wiener bread as well, and ask them to leave the store on account of holocaust apologia

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

maniacripper posted:

But whoever told the guy "how should I know, I can't even afford to buy any steak" is just wrong wrong wrong. It's not that customers fault, I mean if it's a boomers it's his fault, but you don't say poo poo like that, no one cares about your problems.
It's wrong because he should be stealing steaks.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

In fact customers are always wrong.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

maniacripper posted:

Meat Department manager here..

Stockholm syndrome is real

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

maniacripper posted:

How hosed up a person are you that you think that is wrong. The fact people have 0 empathy for other human beings is the problem.

This is a galaxy brain take on the level of "racism isn't wrong, pointing it out is wrong".

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
You walk into a place to buy a thing.
"excuse me would the money be spent better on this thing or that thing"
"I don't know man, I can't afford it"

Why be short to this guy who's coming from his job that probably has him suffering the same trauma as everyone working retail is?

People in retail have every right to rebel, organize, and do whatever is necessary to secure their own economic security and lively hoods because the world hasn't been kind. But please don't take it out on the next guy, direct your anger and actions where they're justified and sorely needed.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 23, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

i am harry posted:

It's wrong because he should be stealing steaks.

Scariest thing I ever did. In hindsight I don't regret it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
For what it's worth, I wasn't short with this guy. I said it more in a gallows humor tone of voice. "Food? I don't know nothing about that, I just work here. I can't afford to eat."

Am I short with some customers? Oh gently caress yes. There's only so many times I can stand being asked "do you work here?"

You know what was one of my formative memories of retail? Few years back, I worked with a guy who sometimes had seizures. We tried to keep an eye on him 'cause he'd hurt himself a few times, but, you know. He was a good guy, he had his poo poo together, and he didn't want to be doted on or anything. Still, he was appreciative the people around him cared.

One night he seized on the floor, fell straight down and fracked his skull on the tile. Lacerated his scalp. It's hard to tell how bad a head injury is just based on blood alone because the scalp loves to bleed, but the guy's legs were kicking like he was doing a laid-out tap dance while strawberry-syrup thick blood pooled around his head.

A manager and four other associates ( me included ) gathered around him, and we formed that wary herd animal circle you do, waiting for the medics. A fair amount of people took one look at this, went 'yup, that's an event', and hosed right off. But more than a few, more than I'd have thought, tried to crowd in around us, and get at the shelves. And after they'd loaded him up on the stretcher, wheeled him out, I had to stand there and shoo people to one side to keep them from walking in the still-warm blood.

And that's the kind of stuff that sticks with you. You remember that poo poo. You remember a customer starting stupid arguments with you or trying to belittle you the day your grandmother died, or an associate that was forced to finish his truck while his father lay dying in the hospital ( he didn't make it before his father passed ).

But I also remember this stuff when I interact with other retail employees. And believe it or not, I assume most customers are decent people until they prove otherwise. When I'm doing reductions for the day, for instance? I've stopped people buying full price items, told them I was about to reduce them, and marked them down right then. Stuff like that.

The thing is, the more stressful my job is, the more likely I'm going to be in a mood where someone walking up and going "BACON" makes me want to throttle them instead of laugh. When I'm on a tight schedule, when I'm being yelled at for how much time I need to do labor, I'm VERY AWARE of how much time someone's stammering request or lovely joke is costing me.

Mister Facetious posted:

Scariest thing I ever did. In hindsight I don't regret it.

People steal from our department all the time and I literally do not care because I don't have the time to spend watching out for it and we don't typically do anything anyways.

The one guy I ever ratted out was a sixty-year old drunk who wouldn't stop breathing on me and asking aggressive, stupid-rear end questions, belittled me when I wouldn't mark down the steaks he wanted me to, and then shredded some steak wrapping peeling discount stickers off them.

When my manager confronted him, the dude pointed at me and said, "he told me to". I thought my manager was going to knock the fake-rear end teeth out of an old man's mouth.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can be lovely to customers, you don’t get paid enough for that bullshit. Retail is one step above indentured servitude.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Security at a place where no one cares if the customer falls down a couple times on the way out the door is the only good retail job.

Worked with bikers and drunk rednecks for years and the only people who ever swung at me were at an art museum. Pretentious fucks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fry's isn't dead yet but they're getting worse. This is the laptop section

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lmao that place looks more and more comical as the shelves themselves become the centerpiece of the store.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FCKGW posted:

Fry's isn't dead yet but they're getting worse. This is the laptop section

May the laptops are camoflauged like the octopus

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Fry's by me looks like a normal big box store, and the one I went to in California looked like it was a train Depot with a steam train crashing through the wall to fall on customers who entered.
I'm still loling at the fighter jet v octopus us what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

The Fry's by me looks like a normal big box store, and the one I went to in California looked like it was a train Depot with a steam train crashing through the wall to fall on customers who entered.
I'm still loling at the fighter jet v octopus us what I'm saying

That's the Burbank one, it's probably the most famous store. They have a Hollywood/Science Fiction theme and have all kinds of weird poo poo inside
https://weirdcitylosangeles.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/frys-electronics-burbank/