Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If the V7 wasn't so prohibitively expensive compared to an entry level FX DSLR like my 610 I'd have made the jump right now :[

I mean, plus the FTZ adapter.

That said, I'm not really married to FX so maybe mirrorless Nikon is in my future. I really do like the portability of a smaller camera like my XP1. I bought the 610 for my various Japan trips and I've kind of .. not regretted it, but been resentful of its size and heft when travelling. And it's not a particularly heavy camera, but when I compare it to what I *could* be carrying around.....

You could argue that I should just invest in more lenses for my Fuji but I've got all this nike Nikon glass now and swapping is just such a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

powderific posted:

Maybe you're the person Nikon designed the DF for.

If the shutter wasn’t made out of butter it would be a fantastic camera.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

If the V7 wasn't so prohibitively expensive compared to an entry level FX DSLR like my 610 I'd have made the jump right now :[

I mean, plus the FTZ adapter.

That said, I'm not really married to FX so maybe mirrorless Nikon is in my future. I really do like the portability of a smaller camera like my XP1. I bought the 610 for my various Japan trips and I've kind of .. not regretted it, but been resentful of its size and heft when travelling. And it's not a particularly heavy camera, but when I compare it to what I *could* be carrying around.....

You could argue that I should just invest in more lenses for my Fuji but I've got all this nike Nikon glass now and swapping is just such a hassle.

You can get a refurb Z6 for $1350 from B&H. It’s not gonna make THAT much difference if you’re still using the same glass though. I’ve been happy with it coming from a D850 and with the little f4 kit zoom it’s decently compact.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My current gear is a D7500 and all my lenses are f mount dx style. So whichever way I'm going when I eventually upgrade its gonna cost me loads to replace everything so I'm holding out for as long as possible.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

powderific posted:

You can get a refurb Z6 for $1350 from B&H. It’s not gonna make THAT much difference if you’re still using the same glass though. I’ve been happy with it coming from a D850 and with the little f4 kit zoom it’s decently compact.

That’s what I’m thinking though; I’d leave my decent glass for studio or specific cases where I know my 80-200 or 24-70 is useful, but for just bashing around town on a trip then a tiny kit lens is really going to be sufficient if my ISO can compensate for having to shoot at 5.6 in low light, etc.

I’ll have to take a long think about what I want in the coming years and maybe what I invest in.

Forgot about the Z6 entirely, tbh :haw:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The Z6 is pretty great for how they priced it.

And they've just upgraded it to shoot ProRes RAW video onto external Atomos recorders which, if you're a hybrid shooter, is pretty wild.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Schneider Heim posted:

I bought mine last 2016 when the X-T2 was new. I am torn between getting an X-T3 next year once my job situation stabilizes, or waiting for the X-T4.

I really don't have a lot of complaints, except for the low-light performance at ISO 6400. Granted, my last body was a Canon 550D, and that was even more atrocious.

X-T3 does not seem like a very tempting upgrade over the X-T2 unless you're extremely excited about face/eye AF. i'm also a launch X-T2 haver and I'm definitely waiting to see what the T4 and/or H2 look like

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Twenty-Seven posted:

X-T3 does not seem like a very tempting upgrade over the X-T2 unless you're extremely excited about face/eye AF. i'm also a launch X-T2 haver and I'm definitely waiting to see what the T4 and/or H2 look like

I think Fuji is on a 2 year product cycle so the T4 should be announced sometime next year.

The T3 is only a marginal improvement over the T2, mainly in AF. Most probably won’t even notice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

As long as we all agree Canon and Nikon are poo poo.

:hmmyes:

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Twenty-Seven posted:

I recall reading that they cancelled the H2 and the H1 is now discontinued (I guess Fuji gave up on the line :( ) which is really sad because I was close to grabbing one as I need to start shooting more video, so the IBIS capabilities would have really helped, and the X-T2 struggles to do what I need, but simply can't afford to change brands right now.

Random source, could be unreliable but they are in fact "discontinued" even at B&H: https://fujiaddict.com/2019/11/24/more-details-about-the-possibly-canceled-fujifilm-x-h2/

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Fuji cameras seem great in most respects, but they all seem to have awful battery life.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Fuji cameras seem great in most respects, but they all seem to have awful battery life.

How's that? The OEM batteries seem to hold up fine. Though admittedly I hardly do anything in the Chain modes anymore. Now the off brand batteries... there's a reason you get a bunch of them at $6 each.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think this might be coming from people who were used to traditional dslrs which sipped battery life whereas now these mirrorless cameras use so much more juice as you have beautiful high resolution live view displays in back plus the electronic viewfinder, more processing power, more data being transferred etc. Plus most mirror less bodies are smaller thus less space for batteries.

Battery tech is improving though and there are great third party options if you want cheaper batteries.

Personally I don't mind. I' plan to add a battery grip to my A7iii because with a heavy sigma Art lens up front, it feels too lens heavy and then I don't have to worry about swapping batteries.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The X-H1 eats batteries because of the IBIS.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
that was the first thing I noticed testing the Z6. Actually having to change batteries on a shoot versus the D850.

It doesn't really matter, it was just a point of difference.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

ReverendHammer posted:

How's that? The OEM batteries seem to hold up fine. Though admittedly I hardly do anything in the Chain modes anymore. Now the off brand batteries... there's a reason you get a bunch of them at $6 each.

Mainly comparing to the more recent Sony cameras. I think the new Sony batteries are about twice the capacity of the ones in the xt3. Maybe not a huge deal. But having considered switching my a73 for an xt3, the smaller batteries was one thing holding me back.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I starting using the fuji line a number of years ago with some inexpensive used body/lens purchases, and have loved it. It's now time to upgrade from my old X-E1 body to something a good bit newer (but still probably lightly used), and I could use advise on which body would make sense to get.

I mainly use it for a range of indoor/outdoor family photography needs (e.g. family events, sightseeing, kids' tennis and band events), and some occasional outdoor photography. I don't do much in the way of video shooting, and don't have much interest in starting. I currently use the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (I also have the 27mm and a few old manual primes), but will probably pick up some of the f2 primes soon and one of the less expensive manual wide angle lenses (either Rokinon 12mm or Loawa 9mm), and pass the X-E1 and kit on to my teenage son.

As I have somewhat larger hands and have enjoyed using the 55-200 for sport shooting, I'm inclined to pick up a used X-T2, especially given other comments here. That said, the X-T30 is tempting, too, and I may run past Best Buy and see how it feels in my hands since it looks like they have it in stock locally.

Other thoughts or suggestions I should consider?

Borachon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 23, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Borachon posted:

I starting using the fuji line a number of years ago with some inexpensive used body/lens purchases, and have loved it. It's now time to upgrade from my old X-E1 body to something a good bit newer (but still probably lightly used), and I could use advise on which body would make sense to get.

I mainly use it for a range of indoor/outdoor family photography needs (e.g. family events, sightseeing, kids' tennis and band events), and some occasional outdoor photography. I don't do much in the way of video shooting, and don't have much interest in starting. I currently use the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses (I also have the 27mm and a few old manual primes), but will probably pick up some of the f2 primes soon and one of the less expensive manual wide angle lenses (either Rokinon 12mm or Loawa 9mm), and pass the X-E1 and kit on to my teenage son.

As I have somewhat larger hands and have enjoyed using the 55-200 for sport shooting, I'm inclined to pick up a used X-T2, especially given other comments here. That said, the X-T30 is tempting, too, and I may run past Best Buy and see how it feels in my hands since it looks like they have it in stock locally.

Other thoughts or suggestions I should consider?

X-E3? You're already comfortable with that body, and the latest model is pretty inexpensive.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

XBenedict posted:

X-E3? You're already comfortable with that body, and the latest model is pretty inexpensive.

The X-E honestly is already a little awkward with the 55-200, which is another reason I was thinking about the X-T2.

I just tried the X-T20, X-T30, and X-T3 at Best Buy and my first reaction is holy cow has Fuji autofocus improved from the X-E1. It was basically instant on the T30 and T3, and fast enough on the X-T20 that the difference was negligible. Ergonomics of the X-T3 were great, too, while the X-T30 was a bit cramped.

Looks like I'll be hunting for a used X-T2 soon.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Picked up the 23mm f/2 because I have gear acquisition disorder to take photos of the kids opening Christmas presents. I debated for far too long between this and the 35mm f/2.

Man this thing definitely turns the X-T3 into a much smaller feeling camera, as opposed to having the 18-55 on the front. My only gripe is the reversed aperture dial. I’m curious as to the technical reason for that decision.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dangerllama posted:

My only gripe is the reversed aperture dial. I’m curious as to the technical reason for that decision.
Huh, I have the 23mm and the 16-55*, and the appetite dials both go the same way. Unless I'm misunderstand what you mean. Maybe they reversed it for newer lenses.

* Incidentally, I got a 16-55 as a present and....it seems very excellent

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I swear to god I’m having a Berenstain Bears moment. The aperture rings go the same way. Ignore me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nikon could do a Nikon F Ai -> Nikon Z adapter which reads out the aperture electro-mechanically and uses an electrical motor or something to stop the lens down while taking the picture. I doubt they'd take more electrical power than AF/VR functions in lenses. Maybe the camera body contacts can't handle such commands/information though. Too bad.

Also holy crap these 3rd party adapters. Nikon F-> Sony E adapter must be 28,5mm thick for accurate infinity focus. Otherwise the distance scale, dof markings, crc elements etc. all go out of whack. I had to shim my K&F Concept adapter and I used overhead projector sheets for it. Didn't have any other actual shim material available but two layers of the 0,14mm thick sheets seemed to do the job. The adapter was way, way off. Now it is good and life is good.

Using lenses with a thick adapter like that makes the A7II front heavy even with a battery grip and an arca-swiss plate screwed on bottom of it. But it is better than DSLR's were for manual focusing.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 29, 2019

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

But it is better than DSLR's were for manual focusing.

This is the received wisdom about MILCs and manual focus lenses but I'm beginning to wonder. Bought a D600 and have found that the green AF confirmation dot to be pretty much accurate in the case of my Ai Nikkors... although I don't have any that are faster than f/2, so maybe it's janky wide open at 1.4.

But even using the (nice, big) D600 viewfinder as-is seems to work pretty well with my f/2.8 lenses for attaining focus manually. Seriously considering that the Nikon 1.7x magnifying eyepiece (which is a little bit harder to come by in rectangular style for the D600 & D750 but nevertheless exists) could make the use of my manual lenses better with this DSLR than they ever are on my X-T2 with focus peaking/magnified picture-in-picture combo.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me, manual focus with my f2 manual glass is much easier wide open with the Z6 / most mirrorless than it was with my D750, D800, and D850. I had the magnifying eyepiece on the D800 and D850, and from it I discovered that my focus screen needed shimming on both. But doing so is a huge pain in the rear end and I never was able to get it accurate. For me the green dot just wasn’t enough for anything other than a static scene, at which point it was better to just put it into live view anyway.

No matter how careful I thought I was with the DSLRs, my keeper rate was a good bit lower because I always had to intentionally focus a little bit off to get it right and it was pretty tricky to do right without constantly checking the back screen. With mirrorless cameras I have a waaay higher keeper rate.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Yea I dunno who would bother manual focusing through a DSLR OVF, that poo poo is impossible

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
trying to nail focus through a Rebel with a nifty fifty at 1.8, lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really tempted by a Z6 with F adapter...

Stupid expensive hobbies...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Slr focusing would be fine if prismatic focusing screens were still a common thing, but I don't think any DSLR has come with one stock and I don't even know if there are still 3rd party companies that make them.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

It's so, so good. People bitch about the AF but I managed to use AF-C with eye tracking at the Xmas dinner in poo poo light (ISO 6400-25600 with f/1,4 and 1/100) and it loving ruled. Sure it won't track a barn swallow like a D500 but for 99% of users it's more than good enough. I was really dubious about the Z system until I got it, and now that I've had it for a while with the 24-70/4, 50/1.8 and various F mount glass with the FTZ I am happy enough that I sold the D750 today. The D500 stays for birding duties though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My D610 isn’t amazing at tracking either, and even if it was I suspect my screw mount lenses would all hold it back anyway so I’m probably fine on that account.

I’ll probably pull the trigger in January. What’s the lifecycle of the Z’s now? Z6/7 have been out — are we looking at a refresh in any near future? Not that I think I’d benefit from a newer camera, but more looking at prices. I bought my iPhone just before the new ones were introduced (yeah yeah, I needed a new phone ASAP) and for the price I paid it turns out if I hadn’t needed a phone right away I could have waited and bought something more up to date. Just trying to avoid these kinds of situations in future :)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Slr focusing would be fine if prismatic focusing screens were still a common thing, but I don't think any DSLR has come with one stock and I don't even know if there are still 3rd party companies that make them.

There are and I put one into my D800. It kinda helps, but at least with mine a lack of fine enough shim variations (they came with some but none were quite right) made it not that useful. I could choose between a little back focused or a lot front focused. I know some people cut their own shims out of brass sheets or whatever but I just gave up on it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

I'll be moving from my DLSRs and F glass to the Z/S stuff this year.

Just waiting for the new body (whatever that is) and the pro zooms to be all done. Hopefully by mid year.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
After-market focussing screens with split prisms or micro-crystals exist for most DSLR models, but they affect the metering. The metering offset is also non-linear depending on the metering mode and the aperture so you can't just dial in a bit of exposure compensation and leave it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Hey thread, so I'm thinking of getting into street photography again and wanted to ask what you would personally recommend. I currently own an XT3 with 16mm 1.4 and 50mm 2.0. Both of these lenses make me very happy but I'm now mulling over the following:

1 - 23mm 2.0

Small form factor and great value but not as good in low light as the...

2 - 23mm 1.4

...which costs more, is bulkier and doesn't have weather sealing but seems to be an exquisite piece of glass.

3 - Ricoh GR3

Rogue choice! Bonus points for it's size as a pocket camera, takes incredible photos, has had nothing but stellar reviews and seems to suit my "drat, I wish I had a decent camera on me" urge without messing around with lenses and bags.

Very torn between all of these!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’ve got a Ricoh GRIII and have been using it a lot in Buenos Aires this week. It’s small, pocketable, has IS, and the lens/sensor are terrific

That being said the battery life isn’t amazing but whatever, changing batteries takes like 4 seconds.

It does feel a bit delicate with the mechanically extending lens and is absolutely not sealed for any kind of weather outside of dry conditions.

It makes a great second camera, though. I have it to compliment my Nikon Z6 on nice days when I don’t want to carry the Z6.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

After-market focussing screens with split prisms or micro-crystals exist for most DSLR models, but they affect the metering. The metering offset is also non-linear depending on the metering mode and the aperture so you can't just dial in a bit of exposure compensation and leave it.

I always wanted one of those KatzEye focusing screens for that sweet split mirror focus like my old Minolta had. Ironically now that I have it on my Fuji I never use it. Their zoom-focusing option seems to work better.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Great, now I want another thing. :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It me, the idiot with his finger hovering over the mouse on the "place order" button for the oly 2x teleconverter to get even more drat reach from the 300mm because I am a broken man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

Great, now I want another thing. :negative:

Honestly, the Ricoh GR II fulfills a lot of the same beats that the GR III does, if you’re willing to have a 16mpx APSC sensor instead of a 20mpx one. The GR III also has IS, but the GR II has a flash built in which can make up for it. Either way, the GR II is just as small, has reportedly better battery life, and takes great shots while being able to easily take anywhere.

But if you’re going to get a GR II, you may as well get a GR I. They have the same lens and sensor, really all you lose is wifi capability. The only downside is they’re old enough to where you’ll probably have a few specs of dust on the sensor, but usually they’re not a big deal and the sensor can be cleaned if it’s a big enough deal to you (though it's a pain in the rear end)