Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Can't remember if it was here where someone asked for the funny "AI messing up" spreadsheet where it found unintentional solutions to games. But I have the link again from another thread so just in case the asker was here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vRPiprOaC3HsCf5Tuum8bRfzYUiKLRqJmbOoC-32JorNdfyTiRRsR7Ea5eWtvsWzuxo8bjOxCG84dAg/pubhtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I didn't ask for it but that was entertaining and informative, thanks

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is a 'little' question, but is there anything I should know about basically re-uploading a defunct website (a website I must've saved a couple times due to being :tinfoil: over realizing that, hey, this niche-as-gently caress website might just blink out eventually)? I figure the cost of a squarespace account (or something) and either just reuploading the whole thing (or using whatever editor it provides)?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Not sure if this is a 'little' question, but is there anything I should know about basically re-uploading a defunct website (a website I must've saved a couple times due to being :tinfoil: over realizing that, hey, this niche-as-gently caress website might just blink out eventually)? I figure the cost of a squarespace account (or something) and either just reuploading the whole thing (or using whatever editor it provides)?
As in, it's someone else's website with their content that they own and you don't? Well, unless you have their permission you're not allowed to, but other than that you can just pay for web hosting and upload the files and, assuming you got them all, I guess it should work. But it's difficult to say without knowing exactly how it was set up. Your second option of using Squarespace or something to just copy the content onto a new site would also work. I don't think there's likely to be any kind of technical issue with doing that, just the legal one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

As in, it's someone else's website with their content that they own and you don't? Well, unless you have their permission you're not allowed to, but other than that you can just pay for web hosting and upload the files and, assuming you got them all, I guess it should work. But it's difficult to say without knowing exactly how it was set up. Your second option of using Squarespace or something to just copy the content onto a new site would also work. I don't think there's likely to be any kind of technical issue with doing that, just the legal one.

Someone owns it, but it's completely offline. I wouldn't be doing it if their site is still up.

I wouldn't be saying "Hey this is Bib's Site About X" or anything, my plan would be to make it clear that I'm just mirroring it for the perhaps-three other people who would want to look at it at some point. I'm very much in the "should I even do this, would I want to even keep paying for hosting in 5mo" stage of the whole thing.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 21, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hosting's generally cheap, just do it.

In the unlikely event that you do one day receive a nastygram, you can always just take it down.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
In the future if you’re worried about a site try to access it on the internet archive regularly to get it to make frequent backups before it disappears. You can do the same to your mirror as well for the sake of posterity.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

CzarChasm posted:

IIRC Cedar is another thing that can repel moths and similar clothing eating pests.

Worth doing once you’ve eradicated the moths or beetles, but it doesn’t drive away an existing infestation. It basically discourages passing moths or beetles from settling in, but if they’re already entrenched they’ll just keep on keeping on.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

AlbieQuirky posted:

Worth doing once you’ve eradicated the moths or beetles, but it doesn’t drive away an existing infestation. It basically discourages passing moths or beetles from settling in, but if they’re already entrenched they’ll just keep on keeping on.

cedar oil, otoh, works great. *definitely* has a smell to it, but a natural one that i enjoy

tuyop posted:

Why does it take so long for whey protein in water to get cold?

Like a 500ml beer in the freezer gets cold in 20 minutes, but a protein shake made with already cold water but room temp powder takes 1.5-2x that time. And ice cubes take forever to melt in the mixture.

paging someone smart to answer this. i've wondered this before, not specifically about protein shakes but why stuff of similar density can take such a different duration to change it's temperature the same amount (i first noticed it with liquor vs. soda pop, put both from car into freezer the liquor's cold way faster)

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

iirc from high school chemistry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat_capacity

Protein is probably more dense and forms a suspension or colloid instead of an ionic solution, which likely slows down its heat absorption. It would have a larger/more dense molecular structure, so it requires more total energy to make it heat up. There's probably something else that contributes to it, like the polarity of long protein strands making the molecule coil around in a way that interacts with the highly polar structure of water, but I'm not a chemist so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Different materials have different specific heats. Basically, it takes a certain amount of energy to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1*C - this amount of energy is the specific heat of water. That number varies on a broad variety of factors.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Recent discussion reminded me of a question:
What's the best way to make my work boots not stink?
(Besides trying to keep them dry and do less sweating from my feet because that's not a real option)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Ideal solution involves two pairs since you’re really supposed to alternate both shoes and boots, but Danner and other manufacturers suggest baking soda overnight when they get bad.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

devilmonk posted:

(Besides trying to keep them dry and do less sweating from my feet because that's not a real option)

It actually is a real option (unless you’re otherwise specifically limited): talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for dry sol or some similar product and apply it to your feet before bed. Works for me.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Baking soda is great; so are old socks stuffed with cedar shavings.

If your boots have removable insoles, pull them and put new ones in, since that's where a lot of the odor lives. You can also stuff the boots with newspaper or paper toweling as soon as you take them off, then discard the paper when you go to bed so that the boots air out overnight. The paper absorbs excess moisture and some of the bacteria come with it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Putting some talcum powder inside the shoe absorbs sweat and helps prevent the stink. You can also buy some shoe powder which is basically just talcum but more expensive and with a bit of perfume.

Otherwise yeah, alternating shoes makes a huge difference and consider switching insoles occasionally. Haven’t tried baking soda but makes sense that it would work.

Basically all of these things also result in less sweaty, uncomfortable feet so it’s pretty nice just for quality of life.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 22, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Use cotton or wool socks if you're not already. I once made the mistake of buying cheap synthetic socks and I went from no odour problems to by lunchtime being able to smell my stinky feet while sitting at my desk with my shoes still on.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's the bacteria in your shoes that make the stink, so killing the bacteria kills the stink.
You can put your shoes in the freezer overnight to kill them. Also apparently the tannins in black tea kill bacteria so you can put a teabag in boiling water for a few minutes, remove it and let it cool for five minutes then put it in your shoe for an hour or so.
Or look for commercial deodorizers that contain enzymes to eat the bacteria.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need to find the largest wealth of Sonic the Hedgehog erotic fan fiction I can. Where would I find this? Is there some site which compiles such a thing, or where Sonic the Hedgehog erotic fan fiction authors tend to congregate?

I'm trying to avoid going to hundreds of individual blogs or whatever to find such a thing.

e: specifically erotic, no regular Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 22, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

devilmonk posted:

I put those charcoal inserts into my climbing shoes and they're flawless.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need to find the largest wealth of Sonic the Hedgehog erotic fan fiction I can. Where would I find this? Is there some site which compiles such a thing, or where Sonic the Hedgehog erotic fan fiction authors tend to congregate?

I'm trying to avoid going to hundreds of individual blogs or whatever to find such a thing.

e: specifically erotic, no regular Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction
You're looking for Archive Of Our Own. It's not JUST erotic fan fiction, but it's where you're going to have to dig. Previously Live Journal was the place to be but they fled LJ after LJ made a technical change that ruined how writers used to find & classify their work.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 22, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Best way/website to convert a bunch of .epub files to .mobi files (e-reader stuff) that isn't going to sneak a bunch of malware onto my computer?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Best way/website to convert a bunch of .epub files to .mobi files (e-reader stuff) that isn't going to sneak a bunch of malware onto my computer?

Calibre. If this is for a kindle it’ll even automate the whole emailing to kindle part.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Gobbeldygook posted:

You're looking for Archive Of Our Own. It's not JUST erotic fan fiction, but it's where you're going to have to dig. Previously Live Journal was the place to be but they fled LJ after LJ made a technical change that ruined how writers used to find & classify their work.

Ao3 has a pretty roboust tag/filter system, just sort for Explicit and then hate yourself.

Edit: Sonic's an older fandom so most of this would have been at Fanfiction.net, but they retroactively banned adult content and purged the entire NC-17 category back in 2002. And then purged it all again when everyone just secretly posted it under the 'M' rating.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I put those charcoal inserts into my climbing shoes and they're flawless.

Boot bananas are great.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm applying for a city job here in VA, and they want to know:
1. do you have a license? Yup!
2. what's your license number? Okay, lemme me get it out of my wallet and type it.
3. what type of license do you have? ...uhhhh?

The job doesn't involve driving, so I think it's just something in the city form. VA DMV's website is giving me no info whatsoever. Is it B, because that's what my license number starts with? I do not have any CDL certification, and that's all I can find on the subject.

edit to clarify: I just have your basic driver's license, no restrictions or anything special.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 22, 2019

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm applying for a city job here in VA, and they want to know:
1. do you have a license? Yup!
2. what's your license number? Okay, lemme me get it out of my wallet and type it.
3. what type of license do you have? ...uhhhh?

The job doesn't involve driving, so I think it's just something in the city form. VA DMV's website is giving me no info whatsoever. Is it B, because that's what my license number starts with? I do not have any CDL certification, and that's all I can find on the subject.

it's obnoxiously different state-by-state, this should help you though

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/types-of-drivers-licenses/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

owlhawk911 posted:

it's obnoxiously different state-by-state, this should help you though

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/types-of-drivers-licenses/

Thanks! Looks like B was the right choice. As I said, this is like an office job, so they probably give two shits about what I can or cannot drive, but I'm desperate for work and don't wanna gently caress up the application.
Thanks again, that was way more helpful than anything the DMV site coughed up. :mad:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks! Looks like B was the right choice.

No, it's not. A class B is a commercial license.

You have a class D (non commercial) license.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

No, it's not. A class B is a commercial license.

You have a class D (non commercial) license.

According to that link Virginia doesn't have a class D though...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

According to that link Virginia doesn't have a class D though...

Then the link is wrong.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#applying.asp

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

tuyop posted:

Why does it take so long for whey protein in water to get cold?

Like a 500ml beer in the freezer gets cold in 20 minutes, but a protein shake made with already cold water but room temp powder takes 1.5-2x that time. And ice cubes take forever to melt in the mixture.

The protein probably doesn't affect the heat capacity that much, but by making the mixture thick (or in science-speak, viscous) it prevents convection, which slows down heat transfer.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
What are some good musicals I should try listening to? Been doing a lot of remodeling in the house and musicals area great for that.

Stuff I like: Wicked, Chicago, 42nd Street, Groundhog Day, Matilda, Music Man, Legally Blonde

Stuff I don't like: Scandalous, most of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (I liked one song)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

artsy fartsy posted:

What are some good musicals I should try listening to? Been doing a lot of remodeling in the house and musicals area great for that.

Stuff I like: Wicked, Chicago, 42nd Street, Groundhog Day, Matilda, Music Man, Legally Blonde

Stuff I don't like: Scandalous, most of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (I liked one song)

The original Cats has some seriously banging music, Assassins again has great music, Jesus Christ Superstar, Fiddler on the Roof....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Musicals I've seen/heard: Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat, Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, Blood Brothers, Bugsy Malone, Moulin Rouge, War of the Worlds
e: oh yeah Cats too, but due to current events my brain refuses to acknowledge it exists

Of those I can only recommend one (Les Mis) and War of the Worlds has great parts but is a little heavy on words in comparison, but the rest it's more individual songs that are good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Musicals I've seen/heard: Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat, Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, Blood Brothers, Bugsy Malone, Moulin Rouge, War of the Worlds
e: oh yeah Cats too, but due to current events my brain refuses to acknowledge it exists

Of those I can only recommend one (Les Mis) and War of the Worlds has great parts but is a little heavy on words in comparison, but the rest it's more individual songs that are good.

What current events are happening to Cats? :ohdear: It's one of my favorite musicals!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

You'd probably like Aladdin, Catch Me if You Can, Ragtime, Urinetown, maybe Newsies. It's worth looking into some Sondheim (Into the Woods, A Little Night Music) too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

What current events are happening to Cats? :ohdear: It's one of my favorite musicals!

There's a terrifying movie out with real life people in skintight suits being overlayed with CGI to make the most uncanny valley poo poo imaginable.

I have, so far, managed to avoid seeing anything other than brief 1-second GIFs and stills from news articles and that's all it's taken to guarantee I am absolutely NEVER going to watch this hell movie.

or else be found dead in front of the credits playing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

There's a terrifying movie out with real life people in skintight suits being overlayed with CGI to make the most uncanny valley poo poo imaginable.

I have, so far, managed to avoid seeing anything other than brief 1-second GIFs and stills from news articles and that's all it's taken to guarantee I am absolutely NEVER going to watch this hell movie.

or else be found dead in front of the credits playing

Oh. gently caress. Come on, Cats is supposed to be campy fun with great songs about cats boasting about how fat they are, or how good they are at pissing off their owners. The DVD version of the musical is something I've watched many times and it's really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The recording of the stage musical is fine. Surprisingly furry for a mainstream production, but it's campy fun like you say.

The current movie is not campy. I have looked into the abyss and know my demons.