Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

With the lone wolf origin I actually start recruiting dudes right away. I tried going solo once or twice and it wasn't fun at all.

I don't think I've ever picked nine lives. I'd say pick either colossus or steel brow; taking both is kinda overkill imo. Fortified mind is probably not a bad pick if you intend to go solo for a while since you'll be surrounded all the time and hitting those low morale states can put you in a death spiral pretty quick.

Yea fortified mind is honestly straight up required pick for the lone knight start. Underdog as well, although at that point you may have a squire or two to protect your back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I started my lone wolf campaign again, following your advice to swap out steel brow for fortified mind. drat, I've had some good luck! He managed to cut down seven bandits on his own on several occasions (kinda fun really, using one guy and the terrain against your enemies), before some schmo offered to be my squire.

So I hired some other tough fisherman that same day, so now I'm quite rich (~5k) and have two spearmen flanking my main character. So far my lone wolf has managed to take out 47 enemies in 11 battles, across the first 17 days. :black101: I agree that it's a good plan to spend the first few days or so alone, upskilling and taking low-risk jobs (especially caravan jobs when there's nothing else going) for the cash and gear, before expanding the outfit.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
This game owwwwns

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It really does, and I need to get back into it. Been too long since I dashed a bandit's head open with a mace :black101:

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
So after the warriors of the north expansion has been out so long, is there any consensus of which of the starts are fun?

When I saw it came out the archer one looked really strong, and the cultist one seemed fun.

Any recommendations?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The cultist one seems fun but its actually awful. I really like the caravan trader start.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Buller posted:

So after the warriors of the north expansion has been out so long, is there any consensus of which of the starts are fun?

When I saw it came out the archer one looked really strong, and the cultist one seemed fun.

Any recommendations?

I still have the most luck with the standard "a new company" start in terms of getting off the ground, but a few of the starts are nice or mix up the early game. Poachers have an amazing overworld speed and scouting bonus and their array of starting brothers can help ease the grind of finding multiple good ranged recruits. I love Northern Raiders to start, but they're very map seed dependent as you start with one house openly hostile and another at cold, and typically you need to run all the way across the map at the very beginning to get out of hostile territory. I like the Beast Slayers to start but the economic penalty is too much to handle long-term IMO, and the bonus trophies are essentially meaningless.

Lots of people love Lone Wolf, but I've found the roster cap to be too much to handle lategame.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I'm a big fan of the Northern Raiders, especially with Noble War as first crisis. Makes finding armor very easy, because even if you have to drop some nicely armor troops quickly you can still get a couple of pieces without Ceasaring them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Noble War is extra good here since the relationship reset is a true reset. So the initial negative relations penalty from the raiders start will be wiped out by the crisis.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
My first try was the deserters one. The perk of always being able to flee was actually pretty nice. But I lost to attrition pretty fast.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Pathfinding has cost me 2 runs now. Why would I want to stick to the road when the city is hostile and then I get owned by militia because their dogs bind my men.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I feel like you’re expecting a bit much from pathfinding if you expect it to do anything but take the fastest route. Also you can hit space at any time to pause and manually run away from hostile parties so really you only have yourself to blame for not paying attention in hostile territory

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Peasant Horde is devastatingly powerful because 16 militia / brawlers are generally better than 12 sellswords, and until you reach that hideously endgame point you're going to largely be rolling with peasant-friendly-background dudes anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Peasant Horde is devastatingly powerful because 16 militia / brawlers are generally better than 12 sellswords, and until you reach that hideously endgame point you're going to largely be rolling with peasant-friendly-background dudes anyway.

I think picking Peasants is something of a newbie trap because the game implies that it's the easiest start; but it actually isn't because starting with a party of 12 fucks up the game's difficulty scaling. That being said I think it's excellent late game because you can have so much more versatility. No more making tough decisions as to what combination of polearms, whips and archers you want to have; there's room for all 3. And I suspect there's less need to really have super good 2hander bros; because you can pin enemies down with shield bros and go to town on them with polearms, which actually do very good single target damage or even aoe with Warscythes (which are the best weapon in the game IMO)

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

FYI peasant difficulty scales up to 14 bros, so you really only get two extra and not four. But company size only affects contract difficulty, and by endgame your hardest fights are mostly going to be non-contract camps.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man, the newest legends mod betas are pretty crazy. they completely over hauled the armor system to be like kingdom come deliverance, where you start with a base armor like a gambeson, and then upgrade it with a chainmail, outer plate equivalent, tabard, cloak, and then the armor attachments.

it looks like some armors still exist though, like the lonewolf still starts with a sellswords armor, which can't be modified, and i'm sure legendary armor is still the same.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Palcontent posted:

FYI peasant difficulty scales up to 14 bros, so you really only get two extra and not four. But company size only affects contract difficulty, and by endgame your hardest fights are mostly going to be non-contract camps.

I'm not really talking about late game difficulty - I'm talking about early game difficulty. Because you start with 12 bros, you'll get harder contracts early on; but the bros you start with are all poo poo with even worse equipment than usual because you start dirt poor. So the early game becomes harder than usual; which is especially problematic because new players are likely to be tempted to pick the peasant start because the game tells you it's the easiest; when it's not.

So the correct strategy when playing Peasant starts is to immediately fire 5-7 of them; which is extremely counter-intuitive for a new player.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Roobanguy posted:

man, the newest legends mod betas are pretty crazy. they completely over hauled the armor system to be like kingdom come deliverance, where you start with a base armor like a gambeson, and then upgrade it with a chainmail, outer plate equivalent, tabard, cloak, and then the armor attachments.

it looks like some armors still exist though, like the lonewolf still starts with a sellswords armor, which can't be modified, and i'm sure legendary armor is still the same.

I'm waiting for the weapon mod system before starting another 120 hour binge.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't played all the starts, but peasants is amazing for experienced players because of the extra people in lategame. Fielding 16 men is such a huge advantage, the larger roster and cheap hiring means you can churn through a lot of recruits to find and protect the ones with really good stars who can be good lategame bros, and so on. As others have said though, it's a bit of a trap because of the earlygame contracts being harder and being full of useless bros who die instantly.

On the other hand, merchant company I think is amazing all round. You start with three decent bros and a bunch of trade goods in your inventory that you can sell for a few thousand crowns right off the bat, and the better trading is huge all throughout, but especially in the lategame when you're mainly clearing camps and selling stuff instead of doing contracts, it's huge. It also lets you buy uniques for slightly less obscene prices. The reputation penalty sucks a bit because it prevents you from taking noble contracts early on, but you can get around that by doing camp clearances from the beginning.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So Avast has problems with the game, and in the past it has still worked, if with some hitches. But now it is entirely unplayable for me. I tried starting a peasants run recently and encountered a problem where I couldn't save or load a battle because it immediately crashed. After some reading and looking, I discovered that is almost certainly because the Battle Brothers folder has become read-only. But I can't make it not read only. I tried multiple approaches; I even used the command line attrib -r +s on the folder. Nothing. This was with Avast disabled as well. Or as disabled as it will get because apparently "disable forever" only means "until restart" for Avast.

Honestly curious what antivirus people who are successfully playing this are using because Avast is getting out of control.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The only antivirus anyone should be using is what’s built into Windows 10. The idea that you need a third party antivirus is extremely antiquated. They are no longer required and do more harm than good.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

So Avast has problems with the game, and in the past it has still worked, if with some hitches. But now it is entirely unplayable for me. I tried starting a peasants run recently and encountered a problem where I couldn't save or load a battle because it immediately crashed. After some reading and looking, I discovered that is almost certainly because the Battle Brothers folder has become read-only. But I can't make it not read only. I tried multiple approaches; I even used the command line attrib -r +s on the folder. Nothing. This was with Avast disabled as well. Or as disabled as it will get because apparently "disable forever" only means "until restart" for Avast.

Honestly curious what antivirus people who are successfully playing this are using because Avast is getting out of control.

I had the exact problem. Uninstalling Avast and relying on the packaged OS AV was my solution.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thanks for the answers.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Had a really good run as the poachers, think im gonna do another one. The world speed increase is really fun.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Buller posted:

Any recommendations?

They're all kinda fun but vary in difficulty.

The cultist one is great but also extremely hard to get/keep recruits unless you can find a steady supply of cultists or have a really good trade route so you can keep all your non-cultists too drunk to care about the occasional human sacrifice.

Lone Wolf gives you a really strong character but is a really tough start - you kind of want to stay alone for a while to get your one massive badass good exp, but then a small group of bandits with sticks will just fatigue you and repairs will run you out of gold after you finally kill them all.

Archers is actually kind of hard - the undead basically ignore your extra arrows, and you don't get the same level of front line.

Monster Hunters is great if you don't mind hunting monsters. The drop in selling prices means you don't get anywhere near as much gold from killing bandits and selling their junk as you would normally, and it's a huge killer for trade routes.

Northern Raiders isn't that bad, you just have to hightail it towards the southern end of the map and kill bandits for a bit while your rep starts to tick back to hated instead of kill on sight. The Raiders are all awesome - downside is they aren't easily replaceable.

As the other guys said, peasants is great but the first contracts are a little harder if you don't immediately fire your dead weight.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I enjoy Merchants too, they really pick up steam late game!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/ec06jt/when_you_play_battlebrothers_for_so_long_you_end/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The only way this could be even more of the Warhammer Fantasy game of my dreams is if they were shooting Satan in the face.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah that looks cool as long as you're the ones with the guns but imagining Man With Crossbow becoming Man With Firearm is a big nope for me.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For the lone wolf start, I think hiring someone to start out is helpful they don't need to be good, they just need to be able to block some shots at your knight at least till you get underdog perked

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I am really jonesing for another expansion. is that too much to ask? that I can give them more money?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Jack2142 posted:

For the lone wolf start, I think hiring someone to start out is helpful they don't need to be good, they just need to be able to block some shots at your knight at least till you get underdog perked

daytaler defense

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

stopgap1 posted:

I am really jonesing for another expansion. is that too much to ask? that I can give them more money?

I would give anything for a mobile port. I'd love to play this game on my ipad.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

stopgap1 posted:

:same:

One route could be expanding on the noble war/crisisa lot; the mod I tried that made it never-ending showed a handful of neat stuff I never see normally because it ends so fast, like the castle takeovers where you attack 3 times in a row with no break or the mission to swap sides in the war. Urban/castle Z Maps could be super interesting too if they could make it not melt the AI.

His art looks very good even, definitely want to see the end product

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 23, 2019

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I would give anything for a mobile port. I'd love to play this game on my ipad.

I realize this makes me a grandpa but aren't mobile games several tiers below PC and console as far as quality goes? Would it even be a comparable game technical-specs-wise?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

frogge posted:

I realize this makes me a grandpa but aren't mobile games several tiers below PC and console as far as quality goes? Would it even be a comparable game technical-specs-wise?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.activision.callofduty.shooter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pearlabyss.blackdesertm.gl

Games can be ported or modified for mobile just fine. They aren't pocket calculators anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

frogge posted:

a current generation ipad has more grunt than entry to low midrange laptops. Civilization VI has an ipad port which is the complete game graphics and all.

It's just that mobile stores are filled with absolute garbage mass produced in chinese sweatshops that are designed to milk microtransactions out of you.

Besides which, Battle Brothers would run on a potato; it isn't technically demanding at all.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Interesting. I think I saw morrowind get ported, too, which definitely would run on a potato as well. Those controls for CoD are interesting as well. Hadn't seen an FPS on mobile before.
Yeah a ton of shovelware gets dumped onto the play store every year and that's absolutely why I haven't taken it seriously. I just never considered that mobile gaming is that robust, nor that tablets/mobile devices are anywhere the same league as pcs/laptops/consoles. Again, probably a grandpa for not "getting it." I'm sure part of it is the anxieties my generation of folks playing games felt about mobile games reshaping the medium, dumbing them down, etc., but that's a whole other discussion. I didn't start to get it until a younger family member explained that a lot of mobile games are free so he doesn't have to worry if he's made a good purchase or not on a game because he's still only out the cost of his phone and service plan. So he'll play a mobile game until he hits the wall with pay-to-win and then ditch it and find something else, no harm no foul in his book. I can't knock on people with limited means wanting some entertainment wherever it comes- I just hate how predatory a lot of that stuff is towards the players.That's another whole discussion as well but it's so ubiquitous with mobile gaming that I don't think it can be separated from any meaningful discussion of it.

Back to Battle Bros:
I always go ironman and I've had a lot of good luck with the lone start but it seems like no matter which start I go for the RNG gods always wreck me mid-game and I've never made it to late-game stuff. I've tried different builds for my battle bros to min-max their growth and stats. I can see why people would save-scum.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Lord Bude posted:

Besides which, Battle Brothers would run on a potato; it isn't technically demanding at all.
I only stopped playing because it no longer ran on my lovely laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jackard posted:

I only stopped playing because it no longer ran on my lovely laptop

What kept it from running? The system requirements haven’t changed.