Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

The MUMPSorceress posted:

This gag stopped being funny a long long time ago

Sez you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The MUMPSorceress posted:

This gag stopped being funny a long long time ago

yeah you're probably right

it never struck me as transphobic because the humor is in how wildly different the two readings are rather than what those readings are but i suppose it's treading the line a bit

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The URL's also been hyphenated from day one, so the joke depends on misreading it on purpose. (The unhyphenated version did resolve for a while, but was never the canonical domain.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

You're missing the point. People aren't taking issue with their approach for working out which year the week falls into. They're taking issue with the choice to make YYYY = "this week's year" instead of "today's year". You have a specific date that you want the year component of so you use YYYY because it seems like the sensible choice after MM/DD. But instead you're given the year for tomorrow's date. It's pretty clear that this is unintuitive behaviour (made worse by the fact that it will appear to be working correctly right up until those couple of days where it doesn't).

Just to clarify, yyyy in lowercase gives you to the expected behaviour.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Xik posted:

"I work in IT at [workplace]" is enough for 98% of folks, I find it hard to believe anyone gives a poo poo what type of computer touching you do.

i say "software developer" so that if anyone asks me if i can fix their $device, i can respond with something like "whoa buddy, i make the bugs. i can't fix them"

it is entirely possible that this scenario could occur one day

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I say software developer so that if anyone asks me to help assemble a cabinet or something I can tell them I don't do hardware.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Sagacity posted:

That depends. Did your bugs kill anyone?

I have no confirmed kills but dozens of safety issue bugs that had to be handled through capas and a couple of lawsuits. Nothing I've hosed up in my medical software career has caused a recall yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

redleader posted:

i say "software developer" so that if anyone asks me if i can fix their $device, i can respond with something like "whoa buddy, i make the bugs. i can't fix them"

it is entirely possible that this scenario could occur one day

I feel like the 'random people I meet keep asking me to fix their stuff' days are long over. Everyone has figured out someone in their life that can fix their poo poo or how to get to geek squad because they rely on electronics enough that they have to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Computer programmer? You must be good with computers then, can you look at my phone and"

"Software engineer? I don't know what that is but it sounds complicated and boring, let's talk about me now"

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I have no confirmed kills

Imagine the Chris Kyle of software development writing a best selling book.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

elite_garbage_man posted:

Imagine the Chris Kyle of software development writing a best selling book.

If I Debugged It

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
American Typer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's not that far off, since the baby just got stubbed out due to deadlines.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Scrum Team Six

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

You're missing the point. People aren't taking issue with their approach for working out which year the week falls into. They're taking issue with the choice to make YYYY = "this week's year" instead of "today's year". You have a specific date that you want the year component of so you use YYYY because it seems like the sensible choice after MM/DD. But instead you're given the year for tomorrow's date. It's pretty clear that this is unintuitive behaviour (made worse by the fact that it will appear to be working correctly right up until those couple of days where it doesn't).

Oh, meh. Every date formatting library I've ever encountered has made at least three weird decisions along these lines. Just use one of the standard ones like the objectively best ISO-8601 which is usually special-cased in formatter libraries worth using, eg DateTime.ToString("o") in .Net. If something specifies a non-standard format, there really need to be tests because, woops!, now you're hand-rolling serialization formatting and you need to be careful when handling poop.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/java/status/1208786819564888066

Looks like Oracle is getting ready to enter the 21st century.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, is it better than mongo drivers from npm?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nielsm posted:

Well, is it better than mongo drivers from npm?

Can you name anything that isn’t?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I like that the indentation is broken.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Soricidus posted:

Can you name anything that isn’t?

A rat's anus?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
npm: slightly better then a rat's rear end

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xik posted:

npm: it really whips the rat's rear end

ftfy

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is still Oracle we're discussing, so this is probably just an opening move for a future lawsuit.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Foxfire_ posted:

A rat's anus?

Nah rat anuses are fine. don’t believe all the propaganda from the fat cat lobbyists, rats are good

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

A rat's anus?

Well if we were dev'ing under the banner of a rat's anus, I'd probably be less worried.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:what:

quote:

“One point for the team was to demonstrate that it could be done,” Chaillan said. He challenged the Air Force and its partners to get Kubernetes up and running on a jet in 45 days, and while that was as difficult as it sounds, the team met the goal and F-16s are now running three concurrent Kubernetes clusters, he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjZ4AZ7hRM0

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So what you're saying is Kubernetes is both military-grade and aviation-grade software. Nice.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

CHANGES:
- Resumed the use of version control and deploying from a dev server instead of editing the live code, wtf ZDR

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
If you look at the history of the sa forum software and want to get involved and make changes, you have to have something wrong with your brain. All your instincts as a software engineer should instruct you to run away screaming from that mess.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Some people are masochists, and some are so desensitized to horror that the SA forums wouldn't even register on the worst thing they had to work on that day.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Python 2 is gonna end up like COBOL

https://twitter.com/11rcombs/status/1210696119035940864

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Python already ended up like COBOL at least as far as that famous Dijkstra quote goes

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The final patch was already scheduled for April 2020 to coincide with PyCon. Lots of people said it was dumb to put a patch out after the official EOL date and I guess they finally listened.

Edit: looking back, my characterization was a little harsh but the basic facts are true

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 28, 2019

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

PHP is almost cheating, but come on

https://twitter.com/memearcana/status/1210420348736266240?s=21

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://hackaday.com/2019/12/23/slack-now-on-windows-3-1/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh my god, Ray Paseur was one of the biggest, whiniest rear end in a top hat experts on Experts Exchange when I worked there. I did not expect to see his name pop up in here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CPColin posted:

Oh my god, Ray Paseur was one of the biggest, whiniest rear end in a top hat experts on Experts Exchange when I worked there. I did not expect to see his name pop up in here.

Why did you have an expert on assholes?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

"Never use ==" is almost literally the first thing you're taught when you learn PHP.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Never use ==" is almost literally the first thing you're taught when you learn PHP.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Never use" is almost literally the first thing you're taught when you learn PHP.
ftfy