Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

sweet geek swag posted:

Sideshow Bob came back the first time in season 3, and Simpson and Delilah was in Season 2 so it is possible he was the first.

Right but I thought the episode in question was from the modern era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Communist Walrus posted:

Right but I thought the episode in question was from the modern era

It was season 14, apparently. Maybe he's misremembering. Or maybe Jim Brooks forgot they'd had other people return - I could see not really counting Kelsey Grammer since maybe they see him more as part of the main cast than a one-time guest star like Danny Devito.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Black women are ashamed of their natural hair - a joke the Cleveland Show finds so hilarious it just just keeps making it over and over.

What jokes are you talking about? The first time we see Donna's wig come off, she says that she hasn't had time to color her grey. The only other time I can think of is when she proudly removes her wig in support of fat gross Cleveland to prove that nobody's perfect. Cookie's hair is natural, and she had a fro in a flashback.

Most of the other minor black female characters have wigs/weaves, but they aren't really mentioned or pointed out.

If this was bait to get me to reveal my extensive knowledge about The Cleveland Show, then bravo. :golfclap:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

When I was growing up Barney was Homer’s best friend but my understanding is that they sobered Barney up and don’t really use him anymore. Does Homer ever really do things with his friends anymore?

If he does it's usually with Moe, Lenny and Carl. They hardly ever use Barney anymore but they did undo his sobriety with a cheap gag back in season 15 or thereabouts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Barney is off and on sober.

They decided pretty early that Barney wasn't interesting as Homer's best friend and that Lenny and Carl are better.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Yeah Barney's really more of a chum

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

J-Spot posted:

If he does it's usually with Moe, Lenny and Carl. They hardly ever use Barney anymore but they did undo his sobriety with a cheap gag back in season 15 or thereabouts.

It's bizarre how they were all apparently friends as kids now. As were, if I recall from one episode, Marge, Cookie Kwan, Helen Lovejoy, and Milhouse's mom. Also, Marge and Homer met and kissed as kids but because of *wacky hijinks* didn't realise it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I know the name "Cookie Kwan" isnt overtly racist but it sure feels it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Min_sora posted:

It's bizarre how they were all apparently friends as kids now. As were, if I recall from one episode, Marge, Cookie Kwan, Helen Lovejoy, and Milhouse's mom. Also, Marge and Homer met and kissed as kids but because of *wacky hijinks* didn't realise it.

Simpsons Babies

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Riptor posted:

I know the name "Cookie Kwan" isnt overtly racist but it sure feels it

It feels like the voice is meant for an older woman, and if was "Numba one on the west side" as an older asian woman, it'd be worse. As it stands, she's always just been kind of a useless character anyway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Liking The cleveland show is my most shameful secret even if it is unquestionably extremely problematic. I just think it's funny. It's not winning any awards (because god knows it shouldn't) but I'll watch an episode once in a blue moon voluntarily.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Cleveland Show is no more problematic than any other adult cartoon ever.

I’m genuinely curious what adult cartoons wouldn’t be considered “problematic” using the same metric.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

Yeah Barney's really more of a chum

I dunno man, anyone that bails you out with their own cash seems like a ride or die motherfucker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m genuinely curious what adult cartoons wouldn’t be considered “problematic” using the same metric.

“Adult cartoon” is a problematic premise so it’s baked in

It can never just be comedy, it has to be pushing the limits of good taste by being “edgy” and full of racism, misogyny and gross out humour- otherwise the kids won’t watch this cartoon for adults!

One example that comes to mind is Cleveland and his friend drinking beer while driving- there’s no plot significance to it, no lesson is learned one way or another- it’s just normalizing what is actual dangerous criminal behaviour. Tell me about how “cool” drunk driving is or what possible good reason there could be to have that in there.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Bust Rodd posted:

Tuca and Bertie. :colbert:

May also be part of why it was axed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Master Twig posted:

We shouldn’t normalize jacking off at work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

One example that comes to mind is Cleveland and his friend drinking beer while driving- there’s no plot significance to it, no lesson is learned one way or another- it’s just normalizing what is actual dangerous criminal behaviour. Tell me about how “cool” drunk driving is or what possible good reason there could be to have that in there.
Sounds like a joke, to me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Master Twig posted:

I just started watching this finally and it's loving great

I love Lisa Hanawalt so no idea why I didn't watch earlier

currently on the television: season 6 of a little show called the Simpsons

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I want to get one thing straight: drunk driving is extremely dangerous and nobody should do it, but it's also extremely cool. as is smoking cigarettes.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Tell me about how “cool” drunk driving is or what possible good reason there could be to have that in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWHNwmzf1o

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sounds like a joke, to me.

I was going to go the opposite direction and say it's merely an accurate depiction of small town America. People are back asswards

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

this year i will be using the christmas ghost powers we all know are available at this point in the season to send a gaunt, spectral apparition back to 2014 to slap my younger, naive self for thinking we had already reached the zenith of completely asinine uses of the word problematic appearing everywhere

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

charity rereg posted:

I want to get one thing straight: drunk driving is extremely dangerous and nobody should do it, but it's also extremely cool. as is smoking cigarettes.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The notion that adult themes are, by definition, problematic is a fresh take I hadn’t seen before but immediately strikes me as the kind of insanely poisonous rhetoric that leads to poo poo like Anti-Vaxxing, like a dramatic and dangerous reactionary overcorrection to modern trends.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

What if Itchy shared his pie with Scratchy? Then they could both have pie!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Straight up unapologetic racism and sexism: themes for thinking adults (and children) to consume uncritically for purposes of entertainment

Of course it only works if the person consuming it is also racist/sexist, otherwise the “humor” is lost

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I can state without hyperbole that the Cleveland show is in fact the lowest point of the Simpsons

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I can state without hyperbole that the COMPAGNIE TOMMY is in fact the lowest point of the Simpsons

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A grown adult, watching a cartoon for adults depict drunk driving:

"hmm.... drunk driving..... good??"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Does zombie/modern Simpsons ever do itchy and scratchy openers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

Does zombie/modern Simpsons ever do itchy and scratchy openers

There's barely any Itchy & Scratchy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I can state without hyperbole that the Cleveland show is in fact the lowest point of the Simpsons

Oh god no. I'd much rather watch Cleveland show than zombie simpsons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

There's barely any Itchy & Scratchy

Itchy and Scratchy would involve actual effort to animate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The last time Itchy and Scratchy showed up was the one last season where they did an all-female reboot and Bart finds he likes it much to his chagrin and Milhouse becomes an MRA.

Before that it was 2 years and 1 year before that. So I guess they make an appearance once a season or so now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Milhouse going full incel is absolutely in contention for the thread title.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I would rather watch something I find reprehensible than something that I find as loving dull as New Simpsons. It's like how I'd rather watch Alex Jones than late-night Stephen Colbert

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Plan Z posted:

I would rather watch something I find reprehensible than something that I find as loving dull as New Simpsons. It's like how I'd rather watch Alex Jones than late-night Stephen Colbert

I genuinely adore Stephen Colbert but I honestly can’t believe he’s woven his entire career into just being a Trump comedian. On the one hand it’s very disappointing, on the other hand I’m sure I’d become a parrot for $50 million a year or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Plan Z posted:

Trump getting elected absolutely broke Colbert lol. (same)