Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Knowing the catch rates are so dire just affirms my decision to not give a single poo poo about gmax pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hey does throat spray activate every time you use a sound based move or is it a one time thing?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Flopsy posted:

Hey does throat spray activate every time you use a sound based move or is it a one time thing?

It's a one time use consumable item.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sockser posted:

Knowing the catch rates are so dire just affirms my decision to not give a single poo poo about gmax pokemon

None of the move upgrades seem all that good so while I like some of the designs more then the regulars they do mostly seem like a waste to care about

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They're cool visuals to collect, that's about it. Basically a less-rare version of shinies, with the addition that you probably won't be carrying them forwards. Although maybe the gigantamax tag will still be acknowledged in future games even if they don't do the thing.

I've just hit the postgame in my game, team still around level 60-ish. I don't have an online account or local friends with the game so I'm stuck using NPCs for raid battles, meaning all these 5-star raids are drat near impossible. But I had some good luck running into a gigantamax Corviknight, where the NPCs were all attackers, two of them fire-types and one of them a torkoal bringing Drought! Managed to take down one of these five-star raids for the first time, and threw my ball.

Fucker didn't even wobble.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 23, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
GMax are just lovely megas. They're a cool form change that's "What if this pokemons design gimmick but more!!" like most megas but instead of doing cool and neat things like changing the pokemons play-style it's just "What if they had the generic Z move but with a less interesting effect? (Usually)" On top of that they're largely rare to find and even rarer to actually catch. Also increasing Max HP mid battle is dumb and bad and basically lets you turn your Sweeper into a wall while also stat boosting with attacking with Z-Crystal tier moves. Giant pokemon should have just been a raid gimmick.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hopping way way back (well a gen-point-five) but anyone have an own tempop Rockruff kicking around from USUM? Decided to do a new US run over the holiday break and figure I could run fancy lycanroc just because.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

AlternateNu posted:

I've got a box full of 4-5IV Modest HA Snom's if anyone wants them. They're going to be my Christmas dispersal on Wednesday. :v:

I'd love one, if you don't mind.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Sockser posted:

I had already decided to not give a poo poo about them after seeing the hoops you have to jump through to even see one, and that's with nice folks going through the hellgrind to host Raids for people to join (thanks, everyone who does what I'm far too lazy to do, especially you Cubetheory!).

Seeing the actual catch rates just cements my idea to not give a single poo poo. I'll bother with the other ones if they're event boosted like Centiskorch and crew, and not before.

I still enjoy Raids for the prizes, and for having something to do co-op. I have always preferred co-op to competitive.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

After 60 tries I finally managed to get an HA Eevee. And I am currently breeding the poo poo out of it for Christmas purposes.
Modest Eevees to be precise since Espeon and Sylveon are the only ones who really want their HAs.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I finished my dex and farmed a shiny Milotic. Bad IV's but whatever, it's timid and hyper-training is there anyway. I like Milotic :kiddo:

Also got pokerus from a friend of mine, gonna breed a bunch of something for Christmas surprise trades, but I'm gonna infect them all first. I know kids don't give a gently caress about evs but I guess they'll read about it when the pokecenter lady tells them and be all like 'huh, cool'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ChrisBTY posted:

After 60 tries I finally managed to get an HA Eevee. And I am currently breeding the poo poo out of it for Christmas purposes.
Modest Eevees to be precise since Espeon and Sylveon are the only ones who really want their HAs.

I shudder in anticipation for one of those.

:dadjoke:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how do you farm for HAs besides just catching a million of something

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

People have figured out a way to save scum Dynamax Raids. There are guides on Youtube (but don't believe them when they say '5 Minutes'...it's more of a pain in the rear end than that)
If you prefer a text explanation.
1) If you don't already have one, get a Pokemon with Trace. Which means 'Get yourself a Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir. Easiest way to do this is set your Switch Clock to 6/1/2020 and go to the Lake of Outrage. There is a Gardevoir as an overworld encounter. (It might not have trace though. I don't know if retreating/resetting changes that)
2) Find out where you can find the max raid that will give you the desired Pokemon. It has to be a 5* raid to get the HA though.
3) Turn off Auto-Save, set your text speed to slow. Save your game.
4) Use a wishing piece on the lair that produces the pokemon you want. If the beam isn't a rare raid* quickly close the game out because the autosave won't occur until the 'saving your text' has finished scrolling.
5) Once the beam indicates a rare raid check out what is in it. If it isn't a 5* raid of the pokemon you want, 'invite others' (ideally do this offline so nobody actually joins). Then go to your switch menu without exiting out of the game. Go to 'settings', set your game clock to a day in the future. Then go back to pokemon. Lather, rinse repeat until you get the Pokemon you want.
6) Once you have the pokemon you want, save your game, set your Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir to be your active pokemon in the raid and go in. if the Trace traces their HP you're golden, exit out of the game, reload and fight the raid, unless you just want to fight it with the Gardevoir. (maybe connect to the internet for help). If you did not get the HA you have to go back to step 5 because the ability of the raid poke won't change.
It took me doing this 60+ times to get an Anticipation Eevee, which had a 15% chance of showing up in a 5* raid (which is only a 5% chance total between 3, 4 and 5* raids). If you're going for a 5% raid...good luck.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 23, 2019

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Araxxor posted:

https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/maxraidbattles.shtml

Gigantamax catch finally got found out. They literally made them legendary catch rates you only have 1 attempt at catching, what the gently caress Game Freak. Host for online raids has a catch rate of about 20, while everyone gets stuck with the old fashioned catch rate of 3.

I think the host for a non-event gmax raid really does have a 100% chance to catch. I've run gmax alcremie raids for my friends a few times now and every time when we're done for the night I always catch the one i throw a ball at. Last night I even used a beast ball and it stayed.

This is after about 10 or so raids where only one non-host person caught one of them the entire time.

This is only for non-event raids though. Ones where you reset for a purple beam and then change the date until you get the specific gmax pokemon that hides in that den.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anything you use a wishing stone on should be 100%, I believe (for the host)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I hope someone figures out if there is a pattern for the Ball Guy. My heart can only take so much disappointment :smith:.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

I hope someone figures out if there is a pattern for the Ball Guy. My heart can only take so much disappointment :smith:.

Ever since I (disappointedly) tried to cheat the system by maxing out certain pokeballs it’s the only thing I get from him. So when I win I get NOTHING.

It rules.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ever since I (disappointedly) tried to cheat the system by maxing out certain pokeballs it’s the only thing I get from him. So when I win I get NOTHING.

It rules.

Thank you for experimenting. With that being said, holy poo poo that is awful.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm not going to actively hunt down the Gmax Pokemon unless they decide to do events where they become more common, much like 6 monsters that are currently more common right now. That being said, I did manage to find a Gmax Kingler randomly.

Heck, the only real difference between a Gmax monster and a regular one of the same species is the kind of moves it can utilize, and a few of them aren't better, making the whole ordeal not worth it in the long run.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I tricked you all into infecting your games with the Grinch right before Christmas. Fools!

Grind King out!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Golux posted:

I would gladly trade one of my better HA Jolly Darumakas for one of those tomorrow

Leraika posted:

I'd love one, if you don't mind.

For any goons who want the HA Snom-y goodness, I will be in the pokegoon discord tomorrow morning (Dec 24th) from 8am-11am ET. Hit me up there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CubeTheory posted:

I tricked you all into infecting your games with the Grinch right before Christmas. Fools!

Grind King out!

Smash already beat you to it :smug:

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

Hopping way way back (well a gen-point-five) but anyone have an own tempop Rockruff kicking around from USUM? Decided to do a new US run over the holiday break and figure I could run fancy lycanroc just because.

I have some, but they aren't can be fashion-balled. If Own tempo does pass tho (will check), I can get you one in any apricot ball except Lure.

FC: 4210-5409-4092, will be available all day.

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 23, 2019

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Anything you use a wishing stone on should be 100%, I believe (for the host)

It isn't, I know I've failed to catch a few things I was clearing out while trying for purple beams.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Went looking for a Toxapex to do a breeding project but the first one I found was shiny and now I've gone full Gollum.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm torn on what distribute for christmas. Currently I have piles of 4IV+ Growlithes, and Rotoms, and have the ability to do the same with Ponyta (I successfully surprise traded all of my previous ones)...?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

Oi omoly! I managed to catch a hidden ability one during one of my raids. If you want I can breed a you hidden ability applin so you can have a thick fat appletun if you want. The one I caught has a bold nature but I'm not sure if that's the best one.

Oh man, it's Christmas time so I've been working extra hard (yeah I got one of those jobs) so I didn't see this message till just now, but yes I very much want that HA appletun.

Will you be on tonight? I don't have anything cool to offer in return... unless you need one of the starters? I could breed you one real quick, but it won't be quality (I have them all, but I haven't had time to get them to have the right ablities/nature's/stats).

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Where's the goon who needed a Flame Orb? I renewed my NN today.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh man, it's Christmas time so I've been working extra hard (yeah I got one of those jobs) so I didn't see this message till just now, but yes I very much want that HA appletun.

Will you be on tonight? I don't have anything cool to offer in return... unless you need one of the starters? I could breed you one real quick, but it won't be quality (I have them all, but I haven't had time to get them to have the right ablities/nature's/stats).

Nah don't worry about it just send me whatever you feel like. I'll get to breeding your HA baby. Do you want em' in a nest ball?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Abundant Atrophy posted:

I have some, but they aren't can be fashion-balled. If Own tempo does pass tho (will check), I can get you one in any apricot ball except Lure.

FC: 4210-5409-4092, will be available all day.

Thanks! Just PM'ed you, FC is 4210-5409-4092

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

Nah don't worry about it just send me whatever you feel like. I'll get to breeding your HA baby. Do you want em' in a nest ball?

Yes please!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Shiny Grimmsnarl raids back up for a bit on the Discord, #hairdevils

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Alrighty then, I'm working on it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Golden Gael posted:

Where's the goon who needed a Flame Orb? I renewed my NN today.

I'll take it if you still have it. I'm the type of person who can't move on with a game until I get the item I want/need, so yeah my team building came to a halt because of the flame orb grind lol.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

I'll take it if you still have it. I'm the type of person who can't move on with a game until I get the item I want/need, so yeah my team building came to a halt because of the flame orb grind lol.

Cool, do you have the Sword dog? I need that for just a touch trade, but you can keep the orb after. If not we can work something out.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Golden Gael posted:

Cool, do you have the Sword dog? I need that for just a touch trade, but you can keep the orb after. If not we can work something out.

I'm not that savvy with the lingo, does a touch trade mean just to get it in the Pokedex?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Indeed.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

OK! Calling Omoly! Your apple baby is done and ready to be delivered. D'you want em' nicknamed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oh yeah, sure no problem. I got sword specifically so I can name him lol. Overchill Pokecenter to work out the code?