Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is blue text a lie or the truth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some more thoughts and speculation:

• Blue text are lies that got turned into truths, right? As evidenced by Isabel's words twisting into what she really meant to be doing in panel 3. Does that mean the sphinx was trying to lie about what it was? (panel 5) Or about what it was going to do to them? (panel 6)
  • "... the weal wunt of the sphinx widder..." implies there's another sphinx, not just Games and Truth. Given that the classical sphinx riddle is of 3 (baby, adult, old man), I'd bet there's also three sphinxes in total, and that the third sphinx is the biggest or oldest.
  • Games transforms rules of competition into laws of reality. The rules of the game was that Isaac couldn't cross the bridge unless he answered the riddles. He couldn't answer them, couldn't cross the bridge, but there was nothing in the rules about just stepping over the ditch instead of using the bridge. Truth turns lies into "the twuth that they hide", not necessarily making the lie into a truth, just transforming the words into revealing what they meant to hide. There's probably ways to work around this, just as with Games.
    • Easy bet that the third sphinx's powers, if there is a third, work similarly.
    • Just realized, if my analysis is accurate, Games undid its game and its rules last page by saying "No more gaaaames!" :laugh:
  • If Stephen does get possessed by Truth, will Ollie and RJ get spirits too? This would turn Johnny's gang into a direct opposite to the Activity Club, which feels at once too easy and also too much for the plot which is already straining under the weight of like a dozen competing factions.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 20, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

It’s basically a Jojo stand power (yay!). She was lying about bluffing but now that’s the truth and she’s going to be too afraid to actually fight the cat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

• If Stephen does get possessed by Truth, will Ollie and RJ get spirits too? This would turn Johnny's gang into a direct opposite to the Activity Club, which feels at once too easy and also too much for the plot which is already straining under the weight of like a dozen competing factions.

I don't care, this must happen. :colbert:

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Blue text is the truth they were hiding.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
All we have to do now
Is take these lies
And make the true somehow

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Falstaff posted:

I'm lost. What's going on? Who are these characters? None of this seems to have anything to do with vampire police, bigfoot radio hosts, or stray dog conspiracies. :colbert:

That was years of days ago, dude.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The blue text is the truth. Isabel obviously didn't mean to admit to bluffing; as we saw last chapter in her interactions with Flipflop and Hijack, she's not exactly eager to hurt or kill non-threatening spirits, so she was trying to drive off the (seemingly) weak little kitten without a fight. But lying is impossible around the Sphinx of Truth, so rather than denying it's accusation she confirmed it and even admitted her motivations.

That's all it is, you can't lie around it; it isn't a reality-warper or whatever. If the "it makes lies people tell actually come true" idea that was mentioned was actually how it works, that would mean that Isabel claimed to be bluffing when she wasn't for... Some reason, and then subsequently was surprised by what she said despite that being what she meant to say. Which makes no sense, and doesn't actually do what the Sphinx says its power does anyway, because that would be making up new truths rather than revealing the truths that lies are meant to conceal.

Tangent, this seems like an appropriate time to mention that this chapter's title is "Stephen and the Suspension of Disbelief", and the alt-text on the title page for it was "Suspended from school, Johnny's friend Stephen flies solo for the day. But will he fly too close... to the truth?"

Edit: Truth is a bit less cute once you notice that those are horns on its head, not ears. Just a little.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 21, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

third sphinx is the long dog

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is truth sphinx affected by their own power and if so, i wonder what they attempted to say

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tollymain posted:

is truth sphinx affected by their own power and if so, i wonder what they attempted to say

it says "even my own" and then has its own text turns blue to show it's the truth so presumably it tried to say something like "our fight ends with our defeat" to underline it

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So if there's a faction that's all about word game powers, and coloured text shows such a power taking effect, is there any significance to Agent Day speaking in red a lot

And if there is, what does it mean that Zarei starting doing it too after being around her for a while

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

So if there's a faction that's all about word game powers, and coloured text shows such a power taking effect, is there any significance to Agent Day speaking in red a lot

And if there is, what does it mean that Zarei starting doing it too after being around her for a while

Honestly, it's possible. Judging by the ghost train, Venus Guytrap's power is a cupid's arrow kind of thing, and Day certainly managed to seduce Zarei well enough.

But she could just be good at that. It could just be a speech pattern that Zarei started imitating cause she's into her.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, this is a comic done by someone who expressed "Iiiiii" by horizontally stretching an I out, so that one might just be for effect.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

How often has something that looked just for effect in Paranatural ended up important? I don't take a drat thing for granted in this comic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is entirely fair. Zach is brilliant at weaving their one-off jokes into the real plot.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Patware posted:

How often has something that looked just for effect in Paranatural ended up important? I don't take a drat thing for granted in this comic.

i think my favorite one of those is when people figured out how the black speech actually designated real words and codebreaked the entire set

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

flatluigi posted:

i think my favorite one of those is when people figured out how the black speech actually designated real words and codebreaked the entire set

Please share

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jesus Christ that's clever

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

They looked awfully complicated, for random pictures of skulls. So people were theorizing there was a way to decode them, but there wasn't a Rosetta tablet to turn those skulls back into words.

Then the spirit dogs said some words that we could guess without a translation.

Assuming that the bitdogs were saying woof and meow again, rather a lot was deduced here. First, that a pair of skulls is one word. Second, since the two pairs were so similar while woof and meow share only one letter, that it wasn't a alphabetic code, but rather a reference one. The two words differed by only two teeth... and look, the words they were referring to were two words apart from each other! What an odd coincidence.

From there it was just the work of clever boots to decode the rest... the skulls represent a chapter (number of pupils) page number (horns on left skull is the tens digit, teeth on left skull the ones) and word number (horns/teeth on right skull for tens/ones) referring to when the bitdogs said those same words moments ago.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
god i forgot how loving terrifying those creatures' designs are

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

flatluigi posted:

god i forgot how loving terrifying those creatures' designs are

That made me look again at these ear-horns and hmmm...

Three bitdogs (that eventually fuse) that speak in ciphers and are explicitly evil.

Three (?) sphinx-cats that speak in riddles and games and are hostile but not overtly evil...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

So here's a thought.

Does the sphinx affect lies or does it affect falsehood?

What if Stephen doesn't actually see this fight, he just gets too close to it while talking to Cash Reward about all the stuff that just happened and says something he doesn't realize is untrue and accidentally cracks a big-rear end theme secret?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Patware posted:

So here's a thought.

Does the sphinx affect lies or does it affect falsehood?

What if Stephen doesn't actually see this fight, he just gets too close to it while talking to Cash Reward about all the stuff that just happened and says something he doesn't realize is untrue and accidentally cracks a big-rear end theme secret?

Also how broad is it's effect on lies or falsehoods. Will it like screw up masks, makeup, combovers, etc? Will it gently caress up written lies? Digital ones?

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-44

Zach's still got it

maybe it means something less bad with a W in it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Not feeling the victory lap on the kitten fight, guys."

I kind of had a feeling that this is how this would turn out, Truth actually ending up not being a hard fight for whatever reason, with the "twue despair" coming from something other than their horrible defeat.

I'm curious what the other sphinxes are like; after Games's initial departure, he threatened to "tell the others", plus Truth referred to them as a "litter" so I'm assuming something comparable to normal cats in quantity, though I suppose there could be only one more technically. We'll see sooner or later, probably.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 10, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

I'm curious what the other sphinxes are like

Game, Truth, I suppose the next one is Dare.

Also there's Death and Taxes, this is certain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ed's ink sword is rad as hell

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

"Not feeling the victory lap on the kitten fight, guys."

A+ line to be sure.

Kind of annoyed we didn’t see the fight but also kind of relieved we’re not spending the next year here.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Given how little time has actually passed in the comic, I'm not really feeling the urgency of "by summer's end."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Falstaff posted:

Given how little time has actually passed in the comic, I'm not really feeling the urgency of "by summer's end."

I mean this is the story’s.... third day? Fourth maybe?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, but can we just appreciate that "Let him. It won't kill me." is a raw as hell line?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean this is the story’s.... third day? Fourth maybe?
When is the story taking place, actually. I think Max started after school started but I dont remember if we konw the actual time frame. Like are we towards the start of the school year so end of summer would be about end of august/september? Somewhere in the Spring semester? Are we in May so SUmmer is about to start?
e: is this a year round school, are we in the middle of summer

rannum fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 10, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can't believe Zack confirmed the comic will end with the heat death of the universe

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, but can we just appreciate that "Let him. It won't kill me." is a raw as hell line?

I wonder if it's something like spirits can't actually harm the physical bodies of spectrals, only if they're in their personal spirit world. I wonder if it'd just eat King C9 or something like that. That'd be one way to free Isaac from possession.

edit: Isaac and Truth have the same spectral energy color.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 10, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't get it. Why would this torn be destroyed?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if it's something like spirits can't actually harm the physical bodies of spectrals, only if they're in their personal spirit world. I wonder if it'd just eat King C9 or something like that. That'd be one way to free Isaac from possession.

edit: Isaac and Truth have the same spectral energy color.

It's a vore thing

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I kinda want a version of that last panel where there is no speech bubble partially over Games' face. It's covering a perfectly good derp face!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
By end of summer? Oh no! We only have twenty years of strips to go! :ohdear: