Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

"Obviously" this is for our "security," but what's the real game here? What is the suppressive intent?

So they can deport all the poors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Makes me look forward eagerly to the voter suppression voter ID system were heading towards in the UK.

E: there's more money in imprisoning the poors

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Makes me look forward eagerly to the voter suppression voter ID system were heading towards in the UK.

"but the government said they'd make sure it was easy for everyone to get this incredibly specific form of ID"

Aye, suuuuuuuuuuure they will.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Well that does just so happen to be a month before the elections soooo... Required real ID to vote? I have to go update mine and I'm looking forward to how long that poo poo is going to take. What a pain in the rear end.

Voter ID laws have been struck down as unconstitutional pretty consistently. The Real ID poo poo is just what happens any time the federal government tries to unify anything normally handled by states - it's 50 different moving targets and it's always a poo poo show.

The thing that really irks me about it is NY used to have these bendy licenses that were really durable and easy to take out of your wallet and put back (which you have to do all the drat time), but the new ones the federal government makes everyone use are stiff, brittle pieces of poo poo and mine already cracked after less than a year. When it snaps in two, I'm going to have to get a new one for no reason.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KillHour posted:

I'm going to have to get a new one for no reason my security.

Fixed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The funny thing is I don't even have the real id version because I'd need to show up in person with all that garbage. I just ordered a normal one online in 5 minutes instead.

I have TWIC, so I just use that to fly.

Edit: Ironically, TWIC documentation requirements are easier and you only need one form of ID to get it, as long as you're okay with getting fingerprinted and having a background check done. Also takes less time than going to the DMV :v:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 23, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"but the government said they'd make sure it was easy for everyone to get this incredibly specific form of ID"

Aye, suuuuuuuuuuure they will.

"In unrelated news the government rules anyone under a specific income bracket or with a history of voting for the opposition no longer counts as a person"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"In unrelated news the government rules anyone under a specific income bracket or with a history of voting for the opposition no longer counts as a person"

Lol you wish. It will totally be whether you attend the correct church.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Something's fucky with this new US ID system.

Now I'm about as white privileged as it gets, and when I start feeling like there's suppression going on, there must be something SERIOUSLY going on.

So I've tried two times to get the new Real ID. The first time I didn't have something, I don't remember. The second time I went to the BMV with my birth certificate, passport, multiple bills in my name/address, current driver's license, and a current auto title and registration. Everything is identical, name/address/etc. But I DIDN'T have a Social Security Card or W2, so I was boned. I'll try again later on this year.

My wife went to get hers today. She had her birth certificate, passport, social security card, current driver's license, 2 bills in her name/address. Should be enough now, right? Nope. She also needed "proof of legal name change" since her birth certificate was not in her married name. :wtc:

So I grabbed both our marriage license and marriage certificate and hopefully she's getting the card this try.

Now we have all of our identification documents in order and secured, so they're easy to access, but man, there are a LOT of people not so organized / lucky to have that setup. This is going to lead to a huge number of people unable to fly in the US starting in October of next year.

"Obviously" this is for our "security," but what's the real game here? What is the suppressive intent?

I don't know about where you are, but MA sends a very helpful checklist with EXACTLY what you need. One from this column, 2 from this one, etc. All the stuff you had problems with is covered in my form (which I have because I need to renew and get a RealID).
But yeah, it's a barely-concealed attempt to exclude the poor (who will have trouble finding all the needed docs) or immigrants. GeeIWonderWhy?

KillHour posted:

The funny thing is I don't even have the real id version because I'd need to show up in person with all that garbage. I just ordered a normal one online in 5 minutes instead.

I have TWIC, so I just use that to fly.

Edit: Ironically, TWIC documentation requirements are easier and you only need one form of ID to get it, as long as you're okay with getting fingerprinted and having a background check done. Also takes less time than going to the DMV :v:
When they first came out, I got turned away at BOS for using my TWIC. Morons, it's issued by the TSA. I never once used it at a port, even though I worked in them for years.
I fly on my passport now. I carry it anyhow, and no one questions it.
I'll still get a RealID, though.

Unless they go to church. In that case, the father, son and holy spirit all count as BONUSVOTES

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 23, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It'll be far more nefarious than that. They don't want to deport the poors - they want to exploit them, and I can't think of a better way to do so than restricting the ability to travel across state lines.

The writing is on the wall in many conservative Midwest states with falling birthrates and a dwindling population of those below 40 - another 10-20 years and much of the interior of the country (especially rural areas) won't have enough able-bodied working age citizens to serve the aging Boomer population that remains. Have to stop the bleeding somehow.

Hell, I just started a union municipal job and I'm still eying Michigan as a potential relocation destination from Ohio.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 23, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KillHour posted:

Lol you wish. It will totally be whether you attend the correct church.

sharkytm posted:

Unless they go to church. In that case, the father, son and holy spirit all count as BONUSVOTES

Eh, not such a big thing in the UK. I can see some sort of family-guy-style skin colour chart to satisfy the racists though. I've totally lost faith in this country, it's garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hearing my father choke back tears is not something I ever thought I would hear again. This is going to be so bad for him. He leaves tomorrow and is staying for a hole week, I hope it's enough time.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've totally lost faith in this country, it's garbage.
:same: but different country

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
All countries are garbage.

Tomarse posted:

Just unbolt the passenger seat and then it’ll fit easy.
Have you considered moving this load using the landrover?..
The Panda is what I'll be in at the time due to the compound logistics of the trip.

And the Landie currently has a stationary engine and an air compressor in the back of it.

I'm watching demolition man drinking a poo poo load of haig & coke. We're 100% sure the cat is 95% blind, she just walked into my foot.
Christ, how much did you give the cat?

In other news, my mate has just bought a Stagea, so off to pick that up come the weekend.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5YZ7FELtCI

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

taqueso posted:

Yeah self hosting email now is pretty bad. You'll be spending a lot of time trying to get off block lists and finding out you go in everyone's spamfolder.

It was a chore even back in the day anyway imo

The problem is that you never know what spamming dickbag(s) is/are sharing your physical server and IP range.
I *usually* don't have too much trouble with LunarPages hosting, but they got bought by some rando called "HostPapa", and I have no idea what's going to happen. Even before that, their support was exclusively Indian, not sure if outsourced, in my experience, and (slow) email only. You can't even access a ticketing system to see if anything has been done at all.
Thankfully, I still have an SBCGlobal email address (several, actually) from when I had UVerse that still works.
Speaking of which, I just scheduled AT&T to install fiber next Saturday. Gigabit internet for $$10 more than Spectrum's 200 Mbit? Yes, please. $100 after a year, but still only $30 more for 5x the speed, and a buttload of upload speed.

meatpimp posted:

Something's fucky with this new US ID system.

Now I'm about as white privileged as it gets, and when I start feeling like there's suppression going on, there must be something SERIOUSLY going on.

So I've tried two times to get the new Real ID. The first time I didn't have something, I don't remember. The second time I went to the BMV with my birth certificate, passport, multiple bills in my name/address, current driver's license, and a current auto title and registration. Everything is identical, name/address/etc. But I DIDN'T have a Social Security Card or W2, so I was boned. I'll try again later on this year.

My wife went to get hers today. She had her birth certificate, passport, social security card, current driver's license, 2 bills in her name/address. Should be enough now, right? Nope. She also needed "proof of legal name change" since her birth certificate was not in her married name. :wtc:

So I grabbed both our marriage license and marriage certificate and hopefully she's getting the card this try.

Now we have all of our identification documents in order and secured, so they're easy to access, but man, there are a LOT of people not so organized / lucky to have that setup. This is going to lead to a huge number of people unable to fly in the US starting in October of next year.

Oh, God, this motherfucking poo poo.
My wife went to go get hers, didn't have the "right" birth certificate, had to get a new one. Fortunately we're still in the (TX) county that she was born in. I will have to go next county over.
My beef is that both of us were born in the state. Why does the DMV, a state agency, not have access to the state records that are our birth certificates? Oddly, she didn't need the marriage license, but the agent said "you know what? Let's scan it in anyway, so it's on file for when they decide they *do* need it." Good agent.
Better still, guess what ID is required to get your birth certificate?
Yeah. This is so hosed up in so many ways. It annoys me beyond coherence that I'm 50 years old, have had a Social Security card from day one, and a driver's license since 1988, and *now* they question who I am and want me to prove it. Hey, you fucks, look at the unbroken string of documents already on file since my birth.
Never mind that none of this adds any security whatsoever. The TSA are morons barely capable of not drowning in their own spit.
On the plus side, all this gets me that much closer to everything I need for a passport so I can escape when the poo poo hits the fan, so...

Jokes on them - there won't be anyone left to do all the menial jobs they won't do.
Actually, I kind of want to see that. Who's gonna plunge your toilet now, moneybags?

Point - then they can get the menial jobs done for free, as "penance."

InitialDave posted:

And the Landie currently has a stationary engine and an air compressor in the back of it.

Not really stationary if it's on the back of a truck, yeah? Oh wait, Landrover. :D
I kid, I know it's Rangies that are often stationary.

quote:

I laughed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

All countries are garbage.

Well I'm out of Haig now so...

1l each, going to get hosed up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Well I'm out of Haig now so...

1l each, going to get hosed up.

Just mix them together.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Speaking of which, I just scheduled AT&T to install fiber next Saturday. Gigabit internet for $$10 more than Spectrum's 200 Mbit? Yes, please. $100 after a year, but still only $30 more for 5x the speed, and a buttload of upload speed.

I got ATT fiber 3 years ago and it's been pretty great. I was apparently the first person in the neighborhood to sign up for it and they gave me $70/mo permanently. I will be sad when I move from here.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

FYI if any of you nerds haven't seen it yet, I plowed through The Witcher on Netflix on Friday and Saturday and it was a real good time. I already want to watch through it again, which is something I rarely do with shows.

Darchangel posted:

Better still, guess what ID is required to get your birth certificate?

This is what concerns me. So many people that I on-board here are pretty poor or in lovely situations and struggle to provide two forms of ID as a result, and I can only imagine this will lead to thousands of scenarios where someone can't get their Real ID bullshit because they don't have a social security card or birth certificate, and then they won't be able to get a new social security card or birth certificate because they don't have a Real ID.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

Drove the XC90 250 miles today and encountered the Reduced Engine Power mode twice. Both times it happened while accelerating around 85mph. Power cycling clears it but I don't have my VIDA laptop with me. No codes on the bluetooth ODBII reader. I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

cause was 'turbo pressure too high'
boo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

'turbo pressure too high'

Impossible. No such thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Exactly!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FWIW I lost my social security card, and registering online and getting a new one shipped to me was surprisingly easy. However, a coworker tried to get it online but has to go to the social security administration in person, so YMMV

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I guess I've got some turbo / valve cleaning to do

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

taqueso posted:

I guess I've got some turbo / valve cleaning to do

Leaking or disconnected wastegate hose will cause overboost. I'd start there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Who the gently caress creates an error code of "turbo pressure too high" rather than "danger to manifold"?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Some good news? My daughter has now been accepted to 4 of her top 6 colleges, and #2 and #4 have offered her 100% full ride scholarships, so those have now become #1 and #2. They're private, the awards from each amount to a value of over $200,000. Soooooooo, I don't have to pay for my daughter's college, or watch her suffer with a decade of loans. She will have to pay room and board, and I promised her as a reward for her kicking so much rear end in school that she will graduate 100% debt free, even if that means I pay her rent and food and poo poo.
Dude, that’s fantastic. Congratulations!

This seriously made me emotional because it’s basically my one big goal/dream - if I can get my daughter through school debt-free, I will be satisfied with my life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Who the gently caress creates an error code of "turbo pressure too high" rather than "danger to manifold"?

Someone who wants to point out the cause, not the effect?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T-Square posted:

FYI if any of you nerds haven't seen it yet, I plowed through The Witcher on Netflix on Friday and Saturday and it was a real good time. I already want to watch through it again, which is something I rarely do with shows.

This is what concerns me. So many people that I on-board here are pretty poor or in lovely situations and struggle to provide two forms of ID as a result, and I can only imagine this will lead to thousands of scenarios where someone can't get their Real ID bullshit because they don't have a social security card or birth certificate, and then they won't be able to get a new social security card or birth certificate because they don't have a Real ID.

The joke is that you have to show a driver's license, to get a birth certificate, so you can get your new driver's license. I have to prove my identity with a document that the US says isn't good enough to prove my identity to get another document that proves my identity to get the version of the first document that will prove my identity. It's so typically stupid government. Actually, the joke is government in general, I think.

MomJeans420 posted:

FWIW I lost my social security card, and registering online and getting a new one shipped to me was surprisingly easy. However, a coworker tried to get it online but has to go to the social security administration in person, so YMMV

Are they brown? They're probably a brown person. Or voted Democrat at some point.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1207855657031995392

So true.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh my god, the forms I have had to fill out for disability have been loving ridiculous, and they have to be done by hand, not fun for someone with arthritis in their hands.

Could have made it easier to fill out online but no, too many people would apply then can't have that!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Why does RealID sound like it’s run by that mob of idiots who pushed RealPlayer back in the day?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferremit posted:

Why does RealID sound like it’s run by that mob of idiots who pushed RealPlayer back in the day?

Ha! The wait for documents is like the buffering!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh my god, the forms I have had to fill out for disability have been loving ridiculous, and they have to be done by hand, not fun for someone with arthritis in their hands.

Could have made it easier to fill out online but no, too many people would apply then can't have that!

That's very tone deaf. So, spot-on for government.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think they literally make it difficult so people with no patience just give up and say gently caress this.

After being initially denied they sent me the exact same paperwork to fill out again, I think they are looking to see any discrepancies from the first one but jokes on them I had copies of my first application :v:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
RealID is a giant stupid ball of gently caress, I always do any form of air travel with a passport because gently caress the TSA.

Lloyd your kid getting into school with a full ride owns. My middle sister did the same thing and is kicking rear end pretty hard at life.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

The joke is that you have to show a driver's license, to get a birth certificate, so you can get your new driver's license. I have to prove my identity with a document that the US says isn't good enough to prove my identity to get another document that proves my identity to get the version of the first document that will prove my identity. It's so typically stupid government. Actually, the joke is government in general, I think

This. I took my loving passport, which will let me get into and out of other countries, along with my valid DL and various other means of identification to the DMV only to be told that the piece of photocopied paper that states I am in fact alive, and has been certified as legit by [random small town county clerk from the midwest in the early 70's] -- a document that an armless 12 year old could have forged in 1980 using a embossing label maker and the copier at the public library -- needed to be present AS WELL to get a Real ID, a less powerful form of identification than the passport I was trying to use to get it!

Luckily I looked at my hands and noticed: I have a passport, so gently caress your Real ID.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't think Oregon has started issuing real ID driver's licenses yet and I'll probably drag my feet as long as I can since I use my global entry ID when traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think they literally make it difficult so people with no patience just give up and say gently caress this.

After being initially denied they sent me the exact same paperwork to fill out again, I think they are looking to see any discrepancies from the first one but jokes on them I had copies of my first application :v:

I was told you get denied the first time here and it takes 6 months/application, but i got approved first time after 4 months. Needing extra pages for treatment history and list of specialists probably helped.