Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My wife keeps an implement of husbandry in her top drawer but it's not like she flaunts it all around town.

Ok boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

I can’t find that paragraph on the current site, and IANAL, but as I understand it, they can use video, they just can’t use it alone.

If someone had, say, watched Jerry do his attack run on the Bay Bridge through a pair of binoculars, the video could be introduced to corroborate their testimony.

Ah, so less “can’t” and more “won’t.”

As for rules of evidence, the guy’s uploading these videos himself. They’re totally admissible as evidence. 804(b)(3), they’re totally statements against his own interest. That’s just a dodge on the part of someone at the FAA. Disappointing.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
It's kind of impressive that the truck could pull that trailer at all.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Are you telling me all these truck commercials about hauling huge loads are encouraging me to engage in illegal behavior.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Green Intern posted:

Are you telling me all these truck commercials about hauling huge loads are encouraging me to engage in illegal behavior.

It clearly says to obey all laws in fine print at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

One of the subtweets keeps insisting "It's not a trailer, it's an implement of husbandry!" like some kind of sovcit crime-avoiding magic words.

https://twitter.com/kinburnsheep/status/1207723014433001472?s=20

I am the living trailer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Big Dick Cheney posted:

It's kind of impressive that the truck could pull that trailer at all.

The article posted earlier said that the unloaded trailer alone is probably about 140% of the truck's rated capacity.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

haveblue posted:

The article posted earlier said that the unloaded trailer alone is probably about 140% of the truck's rated capacity.

No doubt there are people out there who would read that statement and think "sweet, I can get 140% more capacity with a trailer."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I am a free semi-trailer on the land

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

haveblue posted:

The capacity would matter if he had it hooked up like a regular trailer to the bed or bumper. But he has it on a front axle so the truck is carrying very little weight. With the air brakes I'm sure it pulls alright at low speed and stops fine. The issue is going to be if the trailer decides it doesnt want to be in control. That truck has zero chance of winning that fight.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BurgerVonStadt/status/1165277157272297472

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
dear god, WHY

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Those types of stairs take up a lot less horizontal space. The downside is you need to be used to them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PetraCore posted:

Those types of stairs take up a lot less horizontal space. The downside is you need to be used to them.

OK, but at that point why not just have a ladder? That would probably be safer because you have your hands on a ladder. That monstrosity doesn't even have handrails.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PetraCore posted:

At this point wouldn't a ladder make more sense and be less potentially painful?

edit: see this guy gets it! ^

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Weird omission

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PetraCore posted:

A hand rail would go a long ways there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The walls are the handrails you wimps.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I lost at Tetris and now I have all these leftover L blocks. What can I do with them?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, but at that point why not just have a ladder?

Design/style.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how half of those would be right at home in one of those "25 AMAZING stair designs we wish were in our house!" ad filled facebook spam websites.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i always wanted to start a twitter account about stairs in the vein of toilets with threatening auras but i couldn't come up with a good name.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

i always wanted to start a twitter account about stairs in the vein of toilets with threatening auras but i couldn't come up with a good name.

Thousand-Yard Stairs
A Stairwell to Arms
Fright or Flight

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 23, 2019

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

Stairs that cause wheelchairs

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yooper posted:

This is how a superfund site is born. Some context, this is the stuff they made the movie Erin Brockovich about. It's doubtful he was storing dilute solution, so it's likely inside of his building (and in the ground water table) is contaminated with the full strength stuff.

More photos of the actual operation.

That's the "sludge" drying in the basement. Note the industrial strength box fan assisting the process. Sludge is likely a mixture of lead chromate, lead, hex chrome, and god knows what else they put into the tanks.

The lab.

The plating operation itself. Note the steam rising up from one of the tanks. This place was operating when these photos were taken.

Yes, the center tank says cyanide. Somewhere buried in all those chemicals is probably leaking drums of potassium cyanide.

Finally we tour the open air chemical storage area.

I'm not sure how a business can do this. Where I work (in Michigan) we have a few thousand gallons of similar rather nasty chemicals and OSHA, EGLE, and the EPA visits at least once a year.

edit : From the court case :

This is from a while back, but it turns out I've got family living near this and they're wondering what the solution is. Specifically, is this a thing that can be taken care of with water filtering? I know there are some high end water filters that claim they'll do lead. What about distilled water?

edit: The poo poo in the spill specifically. THe chromium.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

There are enough of these videos that it has to be practically impossible for an axe throwing establishment to get insurance.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is from a while back, but it turns out I've got family living near this and they're wondering what the solution is. Specifically, is this a thing that can be taken care of with water filtering? I know there are some high end water filters that claim they'll do lead. What about distilled water?

The Environmental Working Group has a good guide to picking water filters for specific contaminants. The most effective filter specifically for hexavalent chromium would be an ion exchange filter, but those tend to be big and require a lot of expensive maintenance. A reverse osmosis filter will also work, plus it's cheaper and easier to use. Before they get a filter, they should really get an analysis of their tap water samples, because gods only know what else is in there.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Not that the guy was working on rational thought during that reaction window, but trying to catchet was not the correct choice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

Not that the guy was working on rational thought during that reaction window, but trying to catchet was not the correct choice.

It was the awesome choice

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There are enough of these videos that it has to be practically impossible for an axe throwing establishment to get insurance.

You basically sign a waver saying that throwing an axe will kill you, the establishment told you so, and you should be happy to get out alive. No insurance necessary!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BurgerVonStadt/status/1165277262272483328?s=20

The black and white one just feels like a calculated gently caress you to people with poor vision.

small ghost fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 23, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cojawfee posted:

I remember seeing an interview with someone who started one of these places saying something like "insurance is tricky, but that also was the case when escape rooms started out, so that'll change :downs:".

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember seeing an interview with someone who started one of these places saying something like "insurance is tricky, but that also was the case when escape rooms started out, so that'll change :downs:".

An escape room where you have to throw axes to get out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

An escape room where you have to throw axes to get out.

That's basically every room.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Uthor posted:

That's basically every room.

You also throw them to get in. The room is also made of axes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

For consumer, RO. Otherwise a resin-ion setup, but they require quite a bit of maintenance. We have a pair of industrial grade resin units and they don't put out enough GPM to handle a full sized household. For that matter a RO unit will be for drinking water, a mondo unit to do laundry and such would be ridiculous expensive. People are going to get bent out of shape about the hex-chrome but in those photos I saw containers of cyanides, nickel solutions, and god knows what else. So if they speak with anyone they need to be aware it's not just hex chrome but a potential range of heavy metals from cyanides, chromium, nickel, lead, and possibly cadmium.

edit : PM me if you'd like more info.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So the final puzzle of this escape room is that you have to throw an axe down this flubber lined hallway and cut the hard line to unlock the door.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, but at that point why not just have a ladder?

Because alternating-tread stairs are easier to use than a ladder

A normal staircase would be preferable but if there's not room for that then alternating-tread is better than a ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Thousand-Yard Stairs
A Stairwell to Arms
Fright or Flight

Stairway to heaven