Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Grand Fromage posted:

It's Twitter.

They are doing a colonialism is bad story but it's the RCE colonialists vs the Belter "natives". There is no intelligent native life on Ilus.

There are also people who make this same sort of dumb point about Mars exploration and think it's clever. Claiming the idea of colonizing Mars is the same as colonizing the Americas just shows you don't understand how words work, not that you've come up with some brilliant narrative about history.

I don't disagree but I think this counter critique is also taking the genre-conventions of The Expanse too literally. We need to reflect on why we value settling new worlds -- should we value that instead of valuing living within the means that we have? A friend of mine in the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement hates The Expanse and space fiction in general. His idea being that nothing of humanity is any more valuable than the life that could arise somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A friend of mine in the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Why would I waste any time taking this person seriously?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been a lot happier since I managed to mostly stop engaging with internet edgelords like that. Waste of time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't disagree but I think this counter critique is also taking the genre-conventions of The Expanse too literally. We need to reflect on why we value settling new worlds -- should we value that instead of valuing living within the means that we have? A friend of mine in the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement hates The Expanse and space fiction in general. His idea being that nothing of humanity is any more valuable than the life that could arise somewhere else.

So, how often does the Human Extinction Movement lose people to suicide? I'm guessing not very.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Norton the First posted:

Kinda pointless in this case, though. If this planet is at ~1g and there are a couple hundred Belters there already, you can take your fancy charter and go anywhere the Belters are not to start mining the lithium, because the Earth is pretty loving big, and they don't actually need the Belter's cooperation to extract the resources.

The Belters are there to start life on a new planet, one that belongs to them, to the extent that they renamed the planet.

That's the threat. That if they are allowed to stay, they could potentially lay claim to the entire planet. That, and the idea that any resource extraction is necessarily a zero-sum game and any lithium the Belters sell is lithium the corporation can't. (You could make a similar "plenty of lithium" argument about salaries at huge corporations: why does the CEO need another $70 million when that money could go to part-time employees who are still on welfare? Because the CEO would be losing something, that's why...)

Although really, the lithium is small potatoes from the RCE perspective. Who knows what the native life-forms have that could be exploited? And what about whatever the Builders left behind?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

People who think humanity should go extinct should lead by example

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Everyone posted:

The "profit motive" for the company is survival. .

I hope this enlightens, as a Buddha would.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So what was the plan with blowing up the pad. If Medic lady didn't want to kill anyone, where they just going to blow it up, then tell the earth ship that "oops, we had an accident and the pad was destroyed, guess you can't come over for a visit, sorry!"?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah just a delaying tactic, just making things harder for the invaders. Like blowing up your bridges and sinking ships in your ports before an invasion to slow down the enemy. Their whole idea was if they just had enough time to get their crops to market they could afford the supplies and legal help they needed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
MotherFUCK the jerk who felt the need to comment (spoiler ep 10) RIP Klaes Ashford on a YT video of Drummer's cool speech from a previous season and motherfuck me for reading YT comments on an Expanse video when I was 2 episodes away from finishing this season.

Absolutely loved the season though and hope Yiff Beastsouls keeps pumping his blood money into making this.

My TV came with the Prime app preinstalled, is it normal for it to stutter heavily the first 10 seconds or so (and then very occasionally through the episode)? My Netflix app doesn't have this.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

davidspackage posted:

MotherFUCK the jerk who felt the need to comment (spoiler ep 10) RIP Klaes Ashford on a YT video of Drummer's cool speech from a previous season and motherfuck me for reading YT comments on an Expanse video when I was 2 episodes away from finishing this season.

It's loving impossible to avoid spoilers pretty much everywhere you turn now. My Android phone shows news articles on the homepage if I swipe right, and half the time the headlines have some prominent spoiler about the episode last night that I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

Even if you avoid comments on Youtube, there'll probably be a related video in the sidebar that somehow ends up spoiling a show. Trying to go into anything blind these days is a miserable loving experience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It makes following sports after the fact impossible. If there's an F1 race at 2 am, I have to stay up to watch it, because I'll wake up and my phone will have a google news notification saying "LEWIS HAMILTON WINS SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They have like hallways and poo poo inside their facilities, but maybe that's just for maintenance bots or something. They might have become something like the "Endless" in endless space, entirely virtual, livin' in the cloud.

Yeah, I think they "ascended" or whatever, and are actually still around.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It makes following sports after the fact impossible. If there's an F1 race at 2 am, I have to stay up to watch it, because I'll wake up and my phone will have a google news notification saying "LEWIS HAMILTON WINS SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX!"

https://uk.pcmag.com/news-analysis/120672/how-to-avoid-spoilers-online-for-avengers-endgame

quote:

If you're using a browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox, some browser extensions will do the spoiler blocking for you, both on desktop and mobile. We also found a few mobile apps and even a Slack extension for those pesky work chats.

Spoiler Protection 2.0: One popular option is Spoiler Protection 2.0, a free extension available for both Chrome and Firefox, as well as the Firefox app on Android and iOS. Spoiler Protection takes a scorched-earth approach, blocking absolutely everything you associate with a keyword. You can also customize actions such as blocking images and video previews, which works very well. So well, in fact, that it may break some other elements on the web pages you visit. But for complete spoiler protection on any website you visit, that may be worth it.

Unspoiler: This free extension for Chrome and Firefox takes a more interesting approach, though not quite as effective as Spoiler Protection 2.0. Unspoiler blocks the keywords you specify by covering up the keywords in headlines and feeds, but allows you to click to reveal the keyword and show spoilers if you wish. There's also an interesting feature that allows you to bookmark a potential spoiler and save it for later, so that after you've finally seen Endgame, you can check out Unspoiler's queue and start reading all the reviews, reactions, and hot takes to begin processing what you just saw.

Video Blocker: This Chrome extension blocks any YouTube videos, channels, and comments that hit on keywords you've specified. YouTube is one of the worst places to go if you're trying to remain spoiler-free, to be sure to protect yourself.

Shut Up: Comments (and commenters) can be the worst source of spoilers. Whatever article you're reading may take great care to avoid spoilers, but commenters won't. Download Shut Up for iOS or get the extension for Chrome, Firefox, or Safari to shut down comments altogether.
Spoilers Blocker: There aren't a ton of great options for mobile spoiler blocking, but one option for Android is Spoilers Blocker. It hides any keywords you specify by overlaying solid color blocks over mobile web pages and apps, specifying what keyword spoiler it's hiding.

Social Fixer: Facebook's built-in keyword blocking capabilities are lacking to say the least, but Social Fixer can fill in some of the gaps. Available on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari browsers, Social Fixer lets you block and hide all sorts of posts and also has a foolproof filtering system to prune out all those pesky keywords you've been purging from your timelines and social feeds.

Spoiler: This simple Slack extension creates a bot that will let any Slack channel specify a specific spoiler and then warn new users with a message if the spoiler comes up, which they can click to reveal. Another easy trick for Slack: Simply make a new channel solely dedicated to spoiler-y conversation, so the people who have seen Endgame can chat freely without fear of ruining someone else's experience.

Might find a few of these helpful. Never tried them myself though.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Out of curiosity I checked the 1-star reviews on Prime for the Expanse and there's a weirdly high percentage of people giving it 1 star for daring to use profanity in a television program

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CainsDescendant posted:

Out of curiosity I checked the 1-star reviews on Prime for the Expanse and there's a weirdly high percentage of people giving it 1 star for daring to use profanity in a television program

gently caress those lovely rear end in a top hat cunts.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

The season was good, looked great, but still felt like a set-up season for the poo poo that is going down next. Except for them killing the only Belter I actually genuinely liked

Are you saying you don't like Drummer or Fred, you insane person? Heck, I kinda like Dawes too.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CainsDescendant posted:

They had the cast from The Boys comment on 1-star reviews (mostly gently caress offs and gently caress yous), Expanse crew should do the same

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gfarrell80 posted:

Are you saying you don't like Drummer or Fred, you insane person? Heck, I kinda like Dawes too.

Remember when Dawes was this lovely rear end in a top hat who couldn't be trusted? After Inaros I really miss him.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

gfarrell80 posted:

Yeah, kind of saying that. They are okay, I guess, but Ashford is the only one I really liked. If some cosmic horror swallows all the belters next season I would not miss them all that much. :v:

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Mods please ban this racist.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Norton the First posted:

Mods please ban this classist.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A friend of mine in the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement hates The Expanse and space fiction in general.

Well your friend is a wacko so why should we care about him.

I'm a hardcore climate change is gonna kill us all and we're stupid for not caring more person but :lol: at Voluntary Human Extinction.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The analogy of belters being natives doesn't really work, especially considering they basically jumped the line and took the planet. It works better in the book, because they settled there years ago and THEN the charter is basically granted to a planet that's already been settled. It still doesn't work too much, because the belters and RCE have, being generous to the belters, an equal claim to planet. At best the belters have "gently caress you, we landed here first" and RCE has a more or less ironclad contract from the government saying they own it, but that could all play out however in space court. But the belters have only been there for a minute, so this whole colonialism frontier thing doesn't totally hold up, it's not like belters have been there for a few hundred generations. It's really two different varieties of colonists settling a planet, settling their differences in a more direct manner because someone hasn't even built the loving post office yet.

And murtry is a fookin' legend

and imo the builders didn't ascend, they got killed by Red Lectroids from Planet 10, by the way of the eighth dimension. Monkey-boy.

My more serious scifi opinion is that they were some type of excession; I picture them as some type of aggressive hegemonizing swarm, one that probably either naturally had some nature of hive-mindedness or developed it through technology, given how the protomolecule bits talk to each other across the system and how it eat and kept intact parts of people from Eros. Then they met another excession, possibly one that lives on the otherside of the energy grid in infraspace or ultraspace, which promptly killed the poo poo out of them, as excessions tend to do. Whatever it was it was an outside context problem.

Excession, by Iain M Banks posted:

The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbors were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah just a delaying tactic, just making things harder for the invaders. Like blowing up your bridges and sinking ships in your ports before an invasion to slow down the enemy. Their whole idea was if they just had enough time to get their crops to market they could afford the supplies and legal help they needed.

That makes sense, why Medic lady was horrified when they saw the ship and it was early, and she wanted to call it off.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SpookyLizard posted:

The analogy of belters being natives doesn't really work, especially considering they basically jumped the line and took the planet. It works better in the book, because they settled there years ago and THEN the charter is basically granted to a planet that's already been settled. It still doesn't work too much, because the belters and RCE have, being generous to the belters, an equal claim to planet. At best the belters have "gently caress you, we landed here first" and RCE has a more or less ironclad contract from the government saying they own it, but that could all play out however in space court. But the belters have only been there for a minute, so this whole colonialism frontier thing doesn't totally hold up, it's not like belters have been there for a few hundred generations. It's really two different varieties of colonists settling a planet, settling their differences in a more direct manner because someone hasn't even built the loving post office yet.

And murtry is a fookin' legend

and imo the builders didn't ascend, they got killed by Red Lectroids from Planet 10, by the way of the eighth dimension. Monkey-boy.

My more serious scifi opinion is that they were some type of excession; I picture them as some type of aggressive hegemonizing swarm, one that probably either naturally had some nature of hive-mindedness or developed it through technology, given how the protomolecule bits talk to each other across the system and how it eat and kept intact parts of people from Eros. Then they met another excession, possibly one that lives on the otherside of the energy grid in infraspace or ultraspace, which promptly killed the poo poo out of them, as excessions tend to do. Whatever it was it was an outside context problem.

Clearly the Belters aren't natives - especially in terms of the show. If you really want to map this onto the "colonial era," it's more like what happened when the Dutch and English created settlements in North America. Eventually, the English pushed the Dutch out and took over New Amsterdam, renaming it New York.

In terms of human recorded history, what's happening now is more like what happened with Antarctica - the sole continent with no human habitation that existed in historic time.

In terms of the Builders, figure they ran into something they couldn't deal with and it killed them off. Really the protomolecule leftovers present two existential threats to humanity. First, the machine could easily kill the lot of us if we turn on the wrong ones. Second, turning on the Builder machine could attract the hostile attention of whatever killed them off to come back and finish the job properly.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Everyone posted:

Clearly the Belters aren't natives - especially in terms of the show.

The Belter squatters are pretty hard to classify... somewhere between indentured servants, illegal immigrant refugees, or fugitive slaves. But yeah, definitely not natives.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Native or not, "we settled here because we had nowhere else to go after both your governments went to war with each other over something we had nothing to do with and destroyed our homes, and then created a bullshit treaty that allows you to continue to oppress us and prevent us from thriving, and then send a team of murderers to come and steal our claim from us" is a pretty strong justification for violence tbh

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Native or not, "we settled here because we had nowhere else to go after both your governments went to war with each other over something we had nothing to do with and destroyed our homes, and then created a bullshit treaty that allows you to continue to oppress us and prevent us from thriving, and then send a team of murderers to come and steal our claim from us" is a pretty strong justification for violence tbh

A strong justification for a claim, anyway. The funny thing is their equation probably in the end is better if they never blew up that shuttle and killed a bunch of people who were (for all intents and purposes) innocent. Murtry was an evil dick but so were several of the Belters, and I mostly side with Belters. Don't forget most of the jerks perpetrating the Eros incident(on the ground anyhow) were Belters.

Or they could have just picked one of the other 1299+ systems. They said during the season they wouldn't find another lithium deposit like the one on Ilus. I doubt very much the surveys were complete enough to know that, given my Solaris experience :smugdog:

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 24, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Norton the First posted:

Mods please ban this spacist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space him.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Belters actually went to four systems and Ilus is the only one they heard back from, so the other three ships presumably encountered Bad poo poo and are now dead

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mister Bates posted:

the Belters actually went to four systems and Ilus is the only one they heard back from, so the other three ships presumably encountered Bad poo poo and are now dead

Yeah like "gravity" and "plants"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Norton the First posted:

Remember when Dawes was this lovely rear end in a top hat who couldn't be trusted? After Inaros I really miss him.

dawes did nothing wrong

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I would just like to say they are dropping the ball hard on this show as far as merch. I would pay a lot of money for good posters, shirts, etc., but they don't exist(there are some lovely things on etsy etc but gently caress that...they are not good). There was a kickstarter for a really cool Roci model but it was available for a grand total of 3 weeks, which is a big waste especially after a brand new season. I would totally buy that if it was available outside of the 3 week window it was.

I want to give these guys my money but they make it hard :(

quote:

dawes did nothing wrong

If that's true, what of the two people he sent to kill Miller who ended up dead for doing what he said? I want to see Dawes again because Jared Harris is an incredible actor but Dawes is basically the worst of the worst of the OPA. He takes all the reward and none of the pain. He talks big about his sister dying - at his hands - but other than that he basically parties all the time.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 24, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
As a Rocinante Kickstarter owner, I completely agree they are dropping the ball on merch and there are so very many missed opportunities here.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

As a Rocinante Kickstarter owner, I completely agree they are dropping the ball on merch and there are so very many missed opportunities here.

I hope you enjoy it! I would certainly have paid the amount without thinking twice, I just somehow let my guard down just before the new season drop, I don't know how. I didn't ever imagine there would be such a short window for such an important thing I guess. It just really highlighted the lack of merchandise because I started searching for "what other cool expanse poo poo can I get" and the answer is nothing.

edit: the artbook and vinyl soundtrack are really good so there's that, if anyone is on the fence grab those.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 24, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only merch i've seen are crew stuff. A guy was in my store with a cool Roci messanger bag and MCRN jacket and i asked him where he got them and he said they were season 4 crew gifts.

And not blowing up the pad would have probably gone way better for the Belters, yea there would be more inners, but the scientists didn't seem to have a problem with the Belters and the Inners probably would have been able to set up their own camp so there would have been less friction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Have the previous seasons gotten any kind of bluray release? I'm a sucker for actor commentary tracks.