Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Gort posted:

I'd prefer it if the game's combat was balanced around the encounter rather than the adventuring day - so an adventure with a single combat in it is as easy to balance as a dungeon crawl with five combats. Consequences reaching beyond the combat you're in should be the exception, not the assumed default.

This is kind of THE core mechanism that 4E's math is based around, so if attrition doesn't do it for you it may be worthwhile to look into a different system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

kaynorr posted:

This is kind of THE core mechanism that 4E's math is based around, so if attrition doesn't do it for you it may be worthwhile to look into a different system.

Gamma World took the same numbers but made everything encounter based. I've been experimenting meshing the two with GW heroes vs D&D monsters and at least at low levels they seem to play well together.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know what, that sounds very sensible. A party could go a long time on that and still have to make the decision of whether to e.g. use the dailies or not with an eye on resource management every time. Without the benefit of knowing they'll definitely get an extended rest after encounter 4 (or 5), even.

How did you handle daily item powers? Did the whole system still work out okay in later levels when PCs would have more daily powers altogether?

We mostly transitioned to inherent bonuses by the end of my time playing 4th edition. You could try letting players recharge one daily item per milestone, maybe limiting it so each daily item can only be recharged once per adventure.

It worked great through paragon for our purposes.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

Back when I ran 4th edition players regained one action point, one daily power, and 1/3rd of their healing surges (rounded up) every milestone. No long rests. They'd level at the end of every adventure, at which point they got all resources back.

It worked really well for pacing.

:eyepop:

Just add in as many milestone tattoos as you can and try to let the world burn in your wake.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NachtSieger posted:

:eyepop:

Just add in as many milestone tattoos as you can and try to let the world burn in your wake.

I always wanted to try that sleepless revenant build from 1-30 to see how ridiculously those milestone bonuses could stack up, especially with the defense boosting gear once you hit Paragon.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Gamma World took the same numbers but made everything encounter based. I've been experimenting meshing the two with GW heroes vs D&D monsters and at least at low levels they seem to play well together.

Hm, wonder if there's a way to make a hack that's Gamma World with D&D's character generation...

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

https://www.geeknative.com/70078/wizards-of-the-coast-finally-kill-of-d-two-weeks-notice-given/

Well, this sucks.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Can't say I've used it in a long time since getting CBLoader and the offline compendium. Both are infinitely more usable for me

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gort posted:

Hm, wonder if there's a way to make a hack that's Gamma World with D&D's character generation...

More fun to do it the other way. I worked on a game doing that a few months back, it's sitting behind a patreon goal or something right now. The archetypes from Gamma World are replaced with D&D monsters. You play as horrible magical monster combinations made by a Mad Wizard. So like the players are a Beholder/Treant or a Kobold/Elemental.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Spiteski posted:

Can't say I've used it in a long time since getting CBLoader and the offline compendium. Both are infinitely more usable for me
My CBLoader stopped working a while back and I've been stuck with the last official update only since. Did the server get put back up or is my install hosed for good now?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PMush Perfect posted:

My CBLoader stopped working a while back and I've been stuck with the last official update only since. Did the server get put back up or is my install hosed for good now?
There's a command line option you need to enable, then have it import a fresh database. It's upthread but I can't search for it now...

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

You're on my discord Pmush, jump in the 4e channel and read the pinned messages

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spiteski posted:

I really should've tried that first. Thanks!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Did anyone figure out how yo make Beastmaster Ranger good, or at least functional at low level?
Gonna run a one shot for some coworkers and I know having a pet wolf would gain a lot of buy in for one of them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Moriatti posted:

Did anyone figure out how yo make Beastmaster Ranger good, or at least functional at low level?
Gonna run a one shot for some coworkers and I know having a pet wolf would gain a lot of buy in for one of them.

I believe consensus was "Play something else with the Fey Beast Tamer(I think that's the name at least)". Alternately the essentials druid is a leader with a pet and they're balanced around it better.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Moriatti posted:

"Be another kind of Ranger with a pet theme" was the last advice I heard. I think Fey Beast Tamer was the best?

There was a later class build--the Sentinel Druid--that also has an animal companion class feature.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Okie dokie

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Is there somewhere you can get like a big Summary of the various D&D 4e classes and a sentence summary of their playstyles? Interested mostly for ideas for a lancer hack i'm loving around with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Impermanent posted:

Is there somewhere you can get like a big Summary of the various D&D 4e classes and a sentence summary of their playstyles? Interested mostly for ideas for a lancer hack i'm loving around with.
There was probably one before the official forums before they got taken out back and shot. With how many different builds there are for each class, that's not an easy task to just pull off the dome, though.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Here are mine for the PHB1 classes:

Fighter: Get enemies stuck to you so they spend all their time hitting you and not someone vulnerable.

Paladin: Zap enemies with holy might if they try to hurt your vulnerable friends; laugh from behind a wall of solid metal when they try to hurt you instead.

Ranger: Dance around the battlefield finding whichever enemy needs to die the most and smacking them down.

Rogue: Hit enemies for huge damage while they're distracted by one of your friends, and drop status effects on them when they're not.

Warlock: As above but with magic, and also you power up when enemies get dropped.

Cleric: Heal and buff your friends as you shoot holy magic at your enemies.

Warlord: Heal and buff your friends, and move them around like pieces on a chessboard so they're in the right position to beat your enemies.

Wizard: You don't hit hard but you can lock down lots of enemies at once so that your friends can pick them off at their leisure.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Moriatti posted:

The basic Beastmaster build is 'archer but not quite as good' using the beast and a CA source, essentially.

I don't recall the exact components, but in short, you build it like a ranged ranger, take none of the beast powers, and have a small number of ablative HP that you can proc for CA somehow.

There's always the amusing party-op version of 'everyone plays a Beastmaster MC Shaman, with the Shaman MC that gives you at-will Spirit animal and an encounter heal. It's a surprisingly strong combat party.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Impermanent posted:

I put something like this together a while back, although many of the short descriptions are more focused on theme than mechanics since I was aiming to provide a one-pager suitable for introducing completely new players to the classes. I believe it has all of the classes, but doesn't go down to the subclass level — which can sometimes produce noticeable differences in playstyle.

I can also upload a Word document or plaintext version on request, if that would be more helpful than the PDF.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Unless your group has a really high level of character optimization, you can make any ranger-type viable just by taking Twin Strike and stacking static damage sources. The problem here is that if he actually wants to use the wolf, it's going to be pretty bad, because the wolf uses the player's actions. Moving the wolf uses your move phase. Attacking with the wolf uses your attack. Etc.

If it's just wolf-themed flavor you're after, you could pretty easily do a regular ranger who shapeshifts into a wolf. Hengeyokai is Dex/Wis, so they're perfect for archer rangers, and they get an at-will ability to shift into an animal form. Just fluff their dog form into a wolf and there you go.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Couldn’t you just make a companion npc and give it to whoever wants the pet? It can help you fill out defender/striker roles if you’re short. Reflavor dailies to be a dual-attack or something with the pet.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Be a warlord, order your pets to attack, also the other pcs are now your pets

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Maybe play a shaman?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's so bad about the Beastmaster ranger? Would it be easier just to give them 5 extra damage on each hit or something?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gort posted:

What's so bad about the Beastmaster ranger? Would it be easier just to give them 5 extra damage on each hit or something?

They have to use their actions to command their pet, and that doesn't really work with 4e's very tight action economy.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"You have to use your standard action to make the pet attack" could work fine, but the powers themselves suck and none of it really builds on how the ranger functions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kurieg posted:

They have to use their actions to command their pet, and that doesn't really work with 4e's very tight action economy.

That's not a problem at all, because you're still getting one character's worth of actions for your one character. The issue is the beast powers aren't worth spending your actions on, generally because their damage doesn't scale past heroic and isn't that good to begin with.

Honestly, it's not that hard to fix it, but you'd have to go and houserule every single beast power which is a chore.

That said, the entire build runs contrary to 4E design and it should have used a system similar to the Shaman, with the animal companion sharing most of your stats and a fraction of your HP, a rule that says that powers with the Beast tag are cast from the animal companion's square, the same movement rules as the Shaman spirit companion, and obviously, powers designed to work with this. :rip:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Or the summoner wizard, where dropping a summon onto the table is a daily action, and then each turn you either use your standard action to control the summon or let it act according to its instinct (so it takes a pre-defined standard action like 'charge the nearest enemy') and eat a debuff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Recently I've been trying out a modification to the 4e rules where the GM very rarely rolls dice. Here's how it works:

1. Add 21 to all monster attack rolls, so a goblin with +6 to hit has a 27 attack.
2. Instead of rolling to attack, the players roll a d20 to defend their character, adding the relevant defense, against the monster's attack number. If they roll a 1 they get critically hit.
3. Instead of rolling damage for monsters, just work out the average damage for their powers ahead of time and use that.

It seems to work pretty well, and I've already got so much crap on the table in front of me when I GM (notes, handouts, tokens for recording various statuses, minis) that getting the dice off the table is great. I also like how it involves the players in their own defense more, as well.

I'm trying to think of a way to do initiative, though. If monsters were just assumed to roll 10, you might end up with the monsters all going one after another in the middle of the order. Maybe just give the fastest set of monsters a 15 roll and the slower ones a 5?

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 23, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If your only goal is to reduce the amount of rolling the GM does at the table, just preroll all initiative values for each group of monsters in every encounter you've got planned. I don't think there's any easy way to fairly average it unless everyone averages it; at which point you're basically skipping the dice roll altogether and ordering directly by initiative modifier values. (Might not be a bad idea if you want a +1 to initiative or a higher modifier to suddenly become very valuable.)

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Gort posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to do initiative, though. If monsters were just assumed to roll 10, you might end up with the monsters all going one after another in the middle of the order. Maybe just give the fastest set of monsters a 15 roll and the slower ones a 5?

For most of my 4e campaign I had NPCs take 10 on initiative and it worked out fine.

I also averaged damage for a while, but I'd suggest you consider how you handle critical hits. my first instinct was to double it, but that makes NPC crits way more deadly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zeerust posted:

For most of my 4e campaign I had NPCs take 10 on initiative and it worked out fine.

I also averaged damage for a while, but I'd suggest you consider how you handle critical hits. my first instinct was to double it, but that makes NPC crits way more deadly.
Wouldn't average and max still work?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah why wouldn't you still max it, you still have the dice expressions in everything.

I did it with average damage for a while, worked great. I allowed my players to average theirs, too.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.

Spiteski posted:

There's a 4e channel? I'd be interested in joining the discourse!

Also the news that wizards is finally taking down the various 4e stuff is a huge bummer; I've been super reliant on the monster vault there for monster stats for my games.
Is there any way to get the content there downloaded besides downloading each monster file by hand? I know masterplan had an add-on to import monster compendium content directly, but for some reason it isn't working for me any longer. Is it broken?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Zeerust posted:

Nah, in 4e you don't double damage on criticals for anyone. Players get the maximum damage you could've rolled (so 5d8+17 becomes 57 for example) plus some dice for having a magic weapon, monsters just get the maximum possible rolled damage.

For my mod I just went with maximum damage for monsters as well, didn't see a reason to change it.

Zeerust posted:

You didn't find that lead to all the monsters having similar initiatives and going one after another? Generally you want to avoid a situation where the monsters are clumped up together and alpha-strike someone without the party being able to do anything about it, which random initiative rolling usually avoids.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If your only goal is to reduce the amount of rolling the GM does at the table, just preroll all initiative values for each group of monsters in every encounter you've got planned.

Not my only goal, but yeah, I'll probably just do a bunch of pre-rolling.

Gort fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 23, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gort posted:

You didn't find that lead to all the monsters having similar initiatives and going one after another? Generally you want to avoid a situation where the monsters are clumped up together and alpha-strike someone without the party being able to do anything about it, which random initiative rolling usually avoids.
Until the party warlord gets to add +int to the whole party's initiative mods and then it's just team PC followed by team monster for the rest of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

ObMeiste posted:

There's a 4e channel? I'd be interested in joining the discourse!

Also the news that wizards is finally taking down the various 4e stuff is a huge bummer; I've been super reliant on the monster vault there for monster stats for my games.
Is there any way to get the content there downloaded besides downloading each monster file by hand? I know masterplan had an add-on to import monster compendium content directly, but for some reason it isn't working for me any longer. Is it broken?

You're welcome to join. discord.gg/GQRz7pT
It's not a big huge server, but there is sometimes discussion about a few different systems. 4e is definitely the biggest played system, and the 4e channel has a bunch of resources particularly useful if you use Fantasy Grounds (all of 4e is in module form, including the first act of Zeitgeist)