Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

skasion posted:

He’s a dark wizard who, as per episode 3, has mystic powers over life and death. It is dumb that they brought him back, but not because they didn’t explain it enough.

Nah it's dumb. I can buy him surviving the fall, as this movie revealed they're not fatal at all. But I would have liked an explanation on how he survived the Death Star blowing up. At least a flashback of someone dragging him into a ship or something.

Everything was just done in the stupidest way. Them all sinking into the quicksand and finding caves and the knife was dumb and too convenient.

Also when the Emperor was all "If you kill me I'll become you" I was convinced they were gonna somehow pull out some Carbonite and freeze him going all "haha sike bitch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why are you being so aggressive towards pop fly to McGillicutty and their harmless movie opinions?

"So aggressive" ????

Man, I hate to see what you think about a real poo poo post!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

"So aggressive" ????

:yikes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You're playing with me, Shish!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

duck trucker posted:

Nah it's dumb. I can buy him surviving the fall, as this movie revealed they're not fatal at all. But I would have liked an explanation on how he survived the Death Star blowing up. At least a flashback of someone dragging him into a ship or something.

Everything was just done in the stupidest way. Them all sinking into the quicksand and finding caves and the knife was dumb and too convenient.

Also when the Emperor was all "If you kill me I'll become you" I was convinced they were gonna somehow pull out some Carbonite and freeze him going all "haha sike bitch".

There was also a massive release of energy when palps fell down the hole. What was that? A force fart? Nothing matters anymore! The quest for more money!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Haven’t watched the movie, do they reveal who palpating fucks to birth Rey

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Triclops. It was a male pregnancy. Force yknow

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It was you, the viewer, who was hosed

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Shmi Skywalker (now also not dead)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Star Wars: It was you, the viewer, who was hosed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Palpatine just came into the mud and from it, Rey was formed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moola posted:

I'm loling at the hot takes of "it was fine. It was a star wars movie and had lasers and explosions, what did you expect?"

like nobody expected this film to be good, but celebrating this mediocre trash is a powerful self own

[extremely slow, exaggerated jacking off motion]

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
He mixed the Spacer's Choice Instant-Blue-Bread powder from TFA with his Uncle Palpy's All Natural Force Juice and voila, Rey appeared.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

He mixed the Spacer's Choice Instant-Blue-Bread powder from TFA with his Uncle Palpy's All Natural Force Juice and voila, Rey appeared.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Wait, so they really brought Palpatine and the Death Star back? And now I'm reading that the fans didn't like it? What is going on?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

star wars, its not the best choice, its spacers choice!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

phasmid posted:

Wait, so they really brought Palpatine and the Death Star back? And now I'm reading that the fans didn't like it? What is going on?

The Death Star thing was a recycled plot that was tossed out back during either TFA or TLJ. It was a mildly goofy concept presented in the absolute most pants-on-head idiotic way possible a thousands-of-years-old dagger contains a treasure map that lines up with a very specific part of debris from the wreckage of the Death Star. Decently cool setpiece for a lightsaber battle, I guess.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just used a gift card I got from one of my students to buy a ticket to Cats. I'm wishing I saw it instead of ROS.

You know how sometimes you're watching something on netflix or some other streaming service and you're not into it, but for some reason you feel obligated to finish it? That was what ROS felt like to me. If it was on netflix, I probably would have FF>> through at least half of it outright. Not trying to be hyperbolic or anything, but it was easily the worst movie I have watched to completion in at least 10 years. The only comparable thing I can think of was when my wife and I had to watch a "Girls" marathon (entire first season) because a friend of hers invited us. . . needless to say it was not an enjoyable experience. I think ROS was even worse, as you know that "Girls" is going to loving suck, but even with my expectations lowered 150%, ROS was just sooooooo loving bad. It was so bad that I was hoping for the end about 20 minutes into the movie. There was literally no part of the movie that I actually enjoyed, and even the Emperor was really, really bad and boring. Nothing made sense, there were no explanations for anything, and the Death Star dagger was quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever witnessed in cinema. Also did anyone else get the feeling that they just took every first take that Daisy Ridley did, no matter how bad/low-effort it was and used it? She was more engaging when she played a corpse in some police drama.

Overall, it was actually a worse film than TLJ, which was absolute poo poo, but has a coherent plot. . . unlike this pile of <trails off>

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Death Star thing was a recycled plot that was tossed out back during either TFA or TLJ. It was a mildly goofy concept presented in the absolute most pants-on-head idiotic way possible a thousands-of-years-old dagger contains a treasure map that lines up with a very specific part of debris from the wreckage of the Death Star. Decently cool setpiece for a lightsaber battle, I guess.

And it ends up being palpatine's throne chamber from ROTJ so like oh ok.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

duck trucker posted:

uh he obviously fell right out of the death star

seems obvious

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Things they brought back from the old EU: Palpatine had a son

Things they should have brought back from the old EU: IG-88 uploaded his brain into the 2nd Death Star computer and had taken control over it 15 seconds before it blew up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

a thousands-of-years-old dagger contains a treasure map that lines up with a very specific part of debris from the wreckage of the Death Star.

When viewed from some random hill

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

And it ends up being palpatine's throne chamber from ROTJ so like oh ok.

Yeah, I mean, even without a dagger or any other kind of clue, isn't that literally the first place you would look for an incredibly important Sith artifact?

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed how the inciting incident for the story happened off-screen, then the entire first half of the movie is filled with padding.
You couldn't have, ya know, put that in there?

Then the very first scene of the movie is Poe barely surviving a mission to intercept a message from a First Order spy which is just confirmation that the thing that happened off-screen did indeed happen.

It makes infinitely more sense that the message Poe intercepted would be Palpatine announcing that he's alive to the First Order higher-ups, and that he has a big fat juicy fleet for them to use. That would also sort of resolve the question as to why Palpy boy wanted to broadcast his plan to the whole galaxy anyway.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's like that time I found Capone's gold when I held up a piece of ancient Egyptian pottery to the wreckage of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jellymouth posted:

I enjoyed how the inciting incident for the story happened off-screen, then the entire first half of the movie is filled with padding.
You couldn't have, ya know, put that in there?

Then the very first scene of the movie is Poe barely surviving a mission to intercept a message from a First Order spy which is just confirmation that the thing that happened off-screen did indeed happen.

It makes infinitely more sense that the message Poe intercepted would be Palpatine announcing that he's alive to the First Order higher-ups, and that he has a big fat juicy fleet for them to use. That would also sort of resolve the question as to why Palpy boy wanted to broadcast his plan to the whole galaxy anyway.

I can't find the post someone made that went "offscreen: Luke shoots a proton torpedo into the hole using the force, and destroys the Death Star" so just pretend I empty quoted it here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blistex posted:

It's like that time I found Capone's gold when I held up a piece of ancient Egyptian pottery to the wreckage of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

haha literally my first thought was "Egyptian artifact held up to a piece of the Titanic"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The deathstar was basically the size of a small planet right? There's no way the shockwave from the explosion would instantly travel through it all. It might look fast in the film but really it's a time lapse, Old Pal Patine had a few hours to climb out of the vent and get onto a space bike and get out.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

uh he obviously fell right out of the death star

seems obvious

Ngl the idea of Palpatine simply falling out the bottom all the way to Endor is a pretty funny image

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I watched the ending clip. Does the Emperor spend the movie snarling and hissing about the Dark Side as usual or does he just show up at the end like "Sup, force lightning"? Because just going BAM it's the Emperor sounds both lazy as hell and pretty funny.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Like a bunch of the old novels brought him back as though they couldn't think up any good villains besides Trioculus, Thrawn and the Emp. The movies are now par with the old lovely Star Wars novels you'd see at Borders.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The emperor does show up earlier but he doesn’t bring anyone Dark Greetings

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Palpatine clone, fight the Yoda puppet when??

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

lol how long has this thread been voted a 2

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SHISHKABOB posted:

No, that was good. C3PO is a funny side kick character.

Star Wars relies on C3PO being treated this way by the movie.

agreed. if you didn't know 3PO would be ok from when in the same scene where he gets wiped he's all 'R2D2 has my backup but he's unreliable' I don't know what to tell you. of course 3PO thinks R2 is unreliable lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In general all the star wars threads are rated 2 or 3. It seems harsh to say the least

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Chomp8645 posted:

"So aggressive" ????

You fell for mine, so....

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SHISHKABOB posted:

No, that was good. C3PO is a funny side kick character.

Star Wars relies on C3PO being treated this way by the movie.

lol threepio was super-sassy in this movie, although i guess you could say after thirty years of star wars he's finally had it up to here

that whole "one last look at my friends" bit was just total dreck though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Walrus posted:

agreed. if you didn't know 3PO would be ok from when in the same scene where he gets wiped he's all 'R2D2 has my backup but he's unreliable' I don't know what to tell you. of course 3PO thinks R2 is unreliable lol

my read on it was that he didn't let R2 take backups because he thought R2 was unreliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Oscar Isaac owns and I love him in Ex
Machina. But why would he ever want to touch Star Wars again after TLJ when his character was imploded into nothingness? Don't loving blame the dude. He deserves to move as far away as possible from this lovely franchise.

he's probably already working on Denis Villeneuve's Dune

he has served his sentence and has ascended