Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Camel joke has been settled officially now, and must join wood for sheep as Forbidden Lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Like rolling? Like moving? Don't want it to take more than ten minutes? Escape!.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I’ve got wood for amels

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well the teach for On Mars was pretty brutal but we got through it and are excited to further explore the game play. There's a lot to it, as is usual with Lacerda's heavier games, so we'll be playing this one for quite some time.

No one thought it was a 'bad game' by the way. Everyone (four players) was happy to have played it and looked forward to playing it again. Note that we are Euro players, through and through and had enjoyed his other games, especially Kanban.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Prior to playing On Mars, I had played Vinhos with exactly the same group of people and by the end of Vinhos all of us were very excited at how the game had unfolded. One of the people in this group is someone that I regularly play 18XX games and heavy war games with. Three of the people I played On Mars with were thoroughly bored by the end and the only person that was positive about it was the owner, who had played it before.

The change of opinions between Vinhos and On Mars for the same group was what was most notable to me.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Didn't play On Mars myself, but since I like Lacerda a made a point of popping by the table a few times during Pax Unplugged and asking what the groups playing thought. I think it was almost unanimously negative feedback.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Sounds like the game should have stayed on Mars :smug:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Are there any good board games set on Mars? I feel like the Mars brand has been poisoned.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Pocket Mars is nice and short, plays 1-4 in like 20 minutes or so.

Only played it once so can't say anything about long time playbility but I enjoyed it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

pospysyl posted:

Are there any good board games set on Mars? I feel like the Mars brand has been poisoned.

I personally loving love Mission: Red Planet, although I dont know the general consensus on it.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

Is it just me or do those icons seem swapped?

they both look like they should be tleilaxu icons (dna strand for genetic manipulation; the mask of the tleilaxu face dancer)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SiKboy posted:

I personally loving love Mission: Red Planet, although I dont know the general consensus on it.

Same on both counts

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SiKboy posted:

See? I hated that game 😀. But I’m not calling it bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I’m not really interested in getting into meta arguments about good/bad, it’s ground well trod in this thread. I think it’s.a bad game, that doesn’t invalidate anyone else’s opinion of the game :shrug:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Not a fan of mission red planet. But with that one the theme is really a veneer. It could be any Scifi setting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I’m having a total brain fart, what’s the winningest opening in FCM again? RG turn one, RG and Trainer turn two?

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

I’m having a total brain fart, what’s the winningest opening in FCM again? RG turn one, RG and Trainer turn two?

yes, but obviously if someone takes trainer turn 1, don't take trainer on your second turn

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
If someone takes Trainer T1, take a marketing trainee T2

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good weekend of games. Several plays of wind the film, eggs of ostrich, let's make a bus route, in front of the elevators, and I don't wanna leave kotatsu before and after heavier games like 18xx. I will recommend any of those light games for anyone looking for thinky fillers that are meaty enough to play several times in succession instead of a medium game. My group which normally doesn't like Roland Wright games took a liking to LMABR, accepting it's still a shallow game like other Roland Wrights, but relatively speaking it has more interesting choices between the racing for objectives and breaking the rules to get those objectives with slight point penalties.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Good weekend of games. Several plays of wind the film, eggs of ostrich, let's make a bus route, in front of the elevators, and I don't wanna leave kotatsu before and after heavier games like 18xx. I will recommend any of those light games for anyone looking for thinky fillers that are meaty enough to play several times in succession instead of a medium game. My group which normally doesn't like Roland Wright games took a liking to LMABR, accepting it's still a shallow game like other Roland Wrights, but relatively speaking it has more interesting choices between the racing for objectives and breaking the rules to get those objectives with slight point penalties.

gently caress, that took me a second to parse, but I like it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

gently caress, that took me a second to parse, but I like it

Mr. Roland Wright isn't real, he can't hurt you

Mr. Roland Wright's box of PNP:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Let's Make A Bus Route is a wonderful game and I will play it every time it gets brought to the table.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

The amount and quality of gaming you get in makes envious and tired to a degree I cannot begin to express. I remember when I had free time, once.

Tekopo posted:

Prior to playing On Mars, I had played Vinhos with exactly the same group of people and by the end of Vinhos all of us were very excited at how the game had unfolded. One of the people in this group is someone that I regularly play 18XX games and heavy war games with. Three of the people I played On Mars with were thoroughly bored by the end and the only person that was positive about it was the owner, who had played it before.

The change of opinions between Vinhos and On Mars for the same group was what was most notable to me.

Where would Vinhos fit in the Lacerda catalogue in your opinion? I have always wanted it for the theme alone because as opposed to viticulture, I'd like to actually be making wine instead of doing basically everything but and doing gimmicky crap to get VP every round before exploding a couple of orders hoping luck favoured me more than my opponents.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I’ve mostly played the 2016 version of Vinhos, and other Lacerda games I’ve played have been The Gallerist and Kanban, so I’ll only be comparing Vinhos and those games (and of course On Mars). Vinhos is a bit special to me because it was the first Lacerda I played and I was fairly smitten by it. I love the theme and since I’ve actually lived in Portugal it felt familiar to me. I love games that do a lot with very few actions, and you only get 13 actions in the entire game (although there are further decisions apart from those 13). The game feels mechanically tight and although there’s one fiddly thing (renown cubes) if you have a game runner it’s not usually a problem.

The Gallerist is probably a better, more elegant game and has a lot going for it: it’s probably a better game than Vinhos in the abstract. The action mechanism functions well, but I felt the interactions between players were lessened when compared to Vinhos.

Kanban I only played 2 player and I thought it was smart, but somewhat procedural. There’s a set procedure of actions to do in the optimal way, which is thematic in itself, but there were other sections that felt purely gamey (especially the production line part of the board).

Overall I think I enjoy Vinhos more for purely thematic reasons and due to how much it does with relatively few actions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Not sure how I feel about Root’s new factions. They’re hella fun to play but slow as hell even compared to lizards. I would recommend axing cats if you have moles because moles start with a distinct disadvantage in action economy from turn 1. Axe vagabond if you have corvid because they’re completely ineffective against the vagabond.

Corvids in particular are nasty but both factions VP is so backloaded that the eyrie is the only base faction that can’t lap them out the gate.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

al-azad posted:

Not sure how I feel about Root’s new factions. They’re hella fun to play but slow as hell even compared to lizards. I would recommend axing cats if you have moles because moles start with a distinct disadvantage in action economy from turn 1. Axe vagabond if you have corvid because they’re completely ineffective against the vagabond.

Corvids in particular are nasty but both factions VP is so backloaded that the eyrie is the only base faction that can’t lap them out the gate.

I've been tempted to get an expansion for Root, but I don't have the Riverfolk one yet. Would you say this one is worth getting first or should I stick to release order?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

pospysyl posted:

I've been tempted to get an expansion for Root, but I don't have the Riverfolk one yet. Would you say this one is worth getting first or should I stick to release order?

I haven’t played the new expansion so take it with a grain of salt but Riverfolk is extremely solid, worth it alone for its namesake faction. Lizards have the coolest theme of any faction but are pretty tricky

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The latest Root expansion won't have its Kickstarter fulfilled until late January or into February. Riverfolk is pretty good I think. The two factions within have some interesting dynamics.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Does Underworld come with the new automated factions or is that purchased separately? I can never manage people to the table so the automate d factions will be helpful for me when I just want to play with my spouse

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Does Underworld come with the new automated factions or is that purchased separately? I can never manage people to the table so the automate d factions will be helpful for me when I just want to play with my spouse

It's a separate thing. Was an add-on for the KS campaign iirc. Also only include the base game factions only.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SettingSun posted:

The latest Root expansion won't have its Kickstarter fulfilled until late January or into February. Riverfolk is pretty good I think. The two factions within have some interesting dynamics.

They're already being delivered. Friend in SC got a tracking number early last week.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

pospysyl posted:

Never not otter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Otters are only going to get better with the new expansion as well thanks to the new deck. Those cards are a lot more powerful in general thanks to the actions they provide and in turn will make the otter offer more enticing and lucrative.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Otters are only going to get better with the new expansion as well thanks to the new deck. Those cards are a lot more powerful in general thanks to the actions they provide and in turn will make the otter offer more enticing and lucrative.

Playing otters is so much more difficult when playing against newer players who aren’t familiar with all the cards. I feel like I’m in glengarry glen ross sometimes with how much I have to hustle to get anyone to bite on the cards. If the exiles and partisans deck includes some overtly powerful cards that’ll definitely be a boon.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My family really enjoyed A Fake Artist Goes to New York, producing lots of masterpieces.

The thing to draw was hipster

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pospysyl posted:

I love the otters but lizardfolk are still a major ehhhhh from me even with their errata. Moles and corvids are very fun. I don't know if the new set of cards is in the non-kickstarter edition but there's a double-sided map that really spices things up especially when it comes to birds who I feel are at a disadvantage in their little startup corner.

Expansion factions are definitely meant to work well with the otters because they're warrior heavy factions. Conversely it makes the lizards even weaker because it's hard enough to rule a clearing and nobody wants to waste actions killing lizard warriors.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It just occurs to me that I can't remember the last time I saw woodland alliance win a game of Root. Maybe it happened the first session or two? They just always end up in a bad way.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What is their alternative if people aggressively squash their tokens? As powerful as they can be, it seems like they have a very narrow path to victory that relies a bit on flying under the radar in the opening rounds. Maybe I’m not creative enough?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

What is their alternative if people aggressively squash their tokens? As powerful as they can be, it seems like they have a very narrow path to victory that relies a bit on flying under the radar in the opening rounds. Maybe I’m not creative enough?

Put yourself in the path of the birds, along the river, lizard gardens, or just areas where players move a lot. Once you get a stronghold out it kind of becomes a rollercoaster as it's easy to poo poo out sympathy at that point and people are hesitant to fight WA warriors without overwhelming opposition. Once I had a single dude defend a stronghold from 4 separate attacks, it was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

They're already being delivered. Friend in SC got a tracking number early last week.

Lucky them. I’m not one of the people who got an early shipment so I’m looking at a Jan-Feb delivery timeframe.