Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Science WHORE posted:

I’m going to be doing laminating

Dough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Science WHORE posted:

We finally have our weekly schedule in place and I work 7-3 most days, according to the assignments I’m going to be doing laminating, some entremet work and....the to-order lunches. They just installed the ticket printer :toot:

Does anybody have experience with Revel? Thoughts?

Also I’m getting tired of the construction crew acting like literal children and begging for food every day. One of them stands outside the glass door to the kitchen rubbing his belly and pointing at the cookies he wants like a five year old, he’s recruited another guy to do it too now. I just want to tell them to do their drat job so we can open, then they can buy whatever sweets they want!

I have about two and a half years' experience with Revel. It's not what I do right now, but I used to. What are you having trouble with?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Science WHORE posted:

One of them stands outside the glass door to the kitchen rubbing his belly and pointing at the cookies he wants like a five year old

I can’t stop laughing picturing this in my head

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Reading this thread has validated my response when people say "omg you cook so good you should open a restaurant" :allears: (I'm an IT geek, not even in the industry, so hope it's okay posting here)

Question for the thread:
We just had our company christmas party, and I was wondering - for an event like that (full dinner, open presumably pre-paid bar, etc,) if you're just attending, would you consider someone a dick for not tipping? I have no clue if there was an autograt involved. Obviously someone wouldn't say no to a tip unless they were forced to, but I didn't even think to bring cash for it.

Much respect for what y'all do - I was never the type to be a jerk to a server in the first place, but following this thread has made me appreciate the challenges of dealing with restaurant stuff.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Reading this thread has validated my response when people say "omg you cook so good you should open a restaurant" :allears: (I'm an IT geek, not even in the industry, so hope it's okay posting here)

Question for the thread:
We just had our company christmas party, and I was wondering - for an event like that (full dinner, open presumably pre-paid bar, etc,) if you're just attending, would you consider someone a dick for not tipping? I have no clue if there was an autograt involved. Obviously someone wouldn't say no to a tip unless they were forced to, but I didn't even think to bring cash for it.

Much respect for what y'all do - I was never the type to be a jerk to a server in the first place, but following this thread has made me appreciate the challenges of dealing with restaurant stuff.

IME it's the responsibility of whomever is paying to tip.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Question for the thread:

In that situation the tip should be covered by whoever is paying for the party, additional small tips from party goers are accepted and appreciated, but they're just extras. Nobody is going to think you're a dick for not tipping, unless you are the one paying the bill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Question for the thread:

In a buyout gratuity is almost always included. If you have to pay for drinks tip on the drinks, if booze is included but you're ordering complicated cocktails instead of beer, wine or like "gin and tonic" tip on those.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Though if it's a busy/large crowd and there's going to be a line at the bar most of the night, as someone who's been on both sides of the bar, being genuinely friendly when you get your first drink and handing over a $20 in exchange will mean you wait in line a whole lot less than most people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Naelyan posted:

Though if it's a busy/large crowd and there's going to be a line at the bar most of the night, as someone who's been on both sides of the bar, being genuinely friendly when you get your first drink and handing over a $20 in exchange will mean you wait in line a whole lot less than most people.

This is true of any bar, not just catered events. Anyone who handed me $20 as a tip when they ordered their first drink always got priority.

Conversely, absolutely gently caress any customer who says "take care of me and I'll take care of you." Those people never tipped. Money talks, bullshit walks.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?

I have no clue if there was an autograt involved. Obviously someone wouldn't say no to a tip unless they were forced to, but I didn't even think to bring cash for it.

Events where I work charge a (misleading) 21% "admin fee" that goes to "overhead costs." There's no automatic gratuity, and the majority of the people paying do not add gratuity. Tipping the bar is often the only source of gratuity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Science WHORE posted:

Yes.

It loving sucks.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

hrolfr posted:

Events where I work charge a (misleading) 21% "admin fee" that goes to "overhead costs." There's no automatic gratuity, and the majority of the people paying do not add gratuity. Tipping the bar is often the only source of gratuity.

That's some bullshit

Our banquet events have a 22% service fee that is split between the house and the service staff (is also some bullshit).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hrolfr posted:

I would work exactly one event at that place

Quabzor posted:

That's some bullshit

Our banquet events have a 22% service fee that is split between the house and the service staff (is also some bullshit).

Same deal,

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

All you can drink parties at the end of the year in Japan is a waking nightmare I feel like I will never escape.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

All you can drink parties at the end of the year in Japan is a waking nightmare I feel like I will never escape.

Kanpai, friend.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Kanpai, friend.

I am definitely drinking more...

Last night was definitely a boilermaker night.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I would work exactly one event at that place

Same deal,

Eh, my last resto did this (20% service fee, I think that's what it was labeled as, I'd have to look) that wasn't a *gratuity* for the staff but was mostly used to pay the PD workers starting at $27+ an hour. I'd rather work 30 hours a week at $27+ an hour with full benefits and perhaps an occasional tip than for minimum wage and relying on highly variable tips to fill in the blanks.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's a lot more childish than asking for cookies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

From the post good tweets thread.

https://twitter.com/jonnoxrevanche/status/1209334584686460928?s=20

I so want to do this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
actual good reddit content!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Science WHORE posted:

We finally have our weekly schedule in place and I work 7-3 most days, according to the assignments I’m going to be doing laminating, some entremet work and....the to-order lunches. They just installed the ticket printer :toot:

Also I’m getting tired of the construction crew acting like literal children and begging for food every day. One of them stands outside the glass door to the kitchen rubbing his belly and pointing at the cookies he wants like a five year old, he’s recruited another guy to do it too now. I just want to tell them to do their drat job so we can open, then they can buy whatever sweets they want!

Cookies are powerful, and construction guys can be useful allies. You could make friends, and maybe they’ll put a fence up in your yard or whatever for cheap

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
thank you, 6-top walk-in at 10 minutes until close

you are truely the reason for the seaosn

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

thank you, 6-top walk-in at 10 minutes until close

you are truely the reason for the seaosn

I'd ask if they tipped, but I know the answer

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Coasterphreak posted:

I'd ask if they tipped, but I know the answer

the server whose section they were in literally yelled at the rest of the staff for wishing them well as they left the building and it turned into a shouting match that lasted for all of close

it’s the little things

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sandwich Anarchist, I didn't want to clog up your A/T thread with industry chat, so I'm posting it here:

Goddrat that is one sexy kitchen. Like, I'm loving jealous about that floor drain of all things. Last place I worked, the floor drain was the size of a mini-golf hole, and not even in the lowest spot in the floor. Good luck trying to deck scrub that poo poo every night, then push all the water and crap into a two-inch hole with the world's oldest squeegee. Oh, and it was a tile floor, too, so you could never get up all the crap that got stuck in the grout lines anyways.

And yeah, that was the place that had poo poo water spew up from said mini-golf hole in the kitchen (plus both bathrooms), and we couldn't close even though it was already 10:00pm. I'm poor as dirt right now but still no regrets on nc/ns'ing that joint.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Did you ever get around to contacting the health department?

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have about two and a half years' experience with Revel. It's not what I do right now, but I used to. What are you having trouble with?

No problems, I was just curious of what you guys thought of it since it’s what the owner decided on. I’ve mostly used Toast but I’ve heard mixed reviews in Revel. Maybe it’s fine for a patisserie, since it’s mostly retail with a limited lunch menu?

Yes, dough. We do croissant, a laminated brioche and kouign-amann. I will not be doing any flooring.

Also re: construction dudes. It’s pretty unnerving to try to do intricate entremet work with someone constantly standing outside the door staring like a dog at dinner. Especially since everything should have been finished before the holiday season, we’re all a little irritated.

On a positive note, I’ve only been there a little over a month now, so imagine my surprise on Monday when our owner slaps a $100 bill on the table next to me. This is the first job that I’ve ever had a Christmas bonus, holy poo poo.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Eh, my last resto did this (20% service fee, I think that's what it was labeled as, I'd have to look) that wasn't a *gratuity* for the staff but was mostly used to pay the PD workers starting at $27+ an hour. I'd rather work 30 hours a week at $27+ an hour with full benefits and perhaps an occasional tip than for minimum wage and relying on highly variable tips to fill in the blanks.

My place starts staff at $12, and a typical wedding costs $22k. I began receiving benefits after three years at this job.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So imo, dude invented the phone-ordering app. In the 1870's. Pretty cool, huh?
This is pretty cool.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

hrolfr posted:

My place starts staff at $12, and a typical wedding costs $22k. I began receiving benefits after three years at this job.

Sounds like you work for lovely people.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Sounds like you work for lovely people.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Sounds like you work for lovely people.

:discourse:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

:emptyquote:

I told the chat thread. I'll share here too. I came out to my parents. And they were accepting and understanding. So that's cool. I'm loving exhausted now and going to sleep forever. Thank you all. And don't kill anyone for New Years, you unlucky bastards who have to work.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’ve made it my life’s work to make sure any restaurant I run is not lovely. Another world is possible. Work for people/be the people that want to build a bigger table and not a bigger wall.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright front of house it’s the time of year where everyone is happy and has Christmas cash, time to get those good tips. Get it now before Christmas credit card bills arrive.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Looking forward to working on the 31st and the 1st...at least I don't start until 5 on the first? I chose the wrong week to stop drinking...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’ve made it my life’s work to make sure any restaurant I run is not lovely. Another world is possible. Work for people/be the people that want to build a bigger table and not a bigger wall.

loving same, my goon

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Manuel Calavera posted:

:emptyquote:

I told the chat thread. I'll share here too. I came out to my parents. And they were accepting and understanding. So that's cool. I'm loving exhausted now and going to sleep forever.

Hey, good on you!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Looking forward to working on the 31st and the 1st...at least I don't start until 5 on the first? I chose the wrong week to stop drinking...

It's always a good week to stop drinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

pile of brown posted:

It's always a good week to stop drinking

Indeed! Just some are more stressful than others.