Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I would never pay more than one video game's worth for a single food item.

Slowly starving to death since I cannot afford anything save for gum from vending machines since it all is more expensive than Bad Rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Problem with that is the Steamed Pea sales devalue the value of food pretty badly

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

Hello I'm a forums scholar and my passion is determining the appropriate ingredients and price point for fart food

You should check out the Goons With Spoons subforum!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
chili causes autism

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Goons cause autism

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I once paid almost $1000 for a dinner for two. But to be fair about half of that was wine and drinks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My worst on food alone was the tasting menu at Robuchon at the mgm grand which at the time was like $280, but is now way more I heard. It was good. I've had spendier meals but not where I paid.

I still think Fleur de Lys was my favorite, even when it was starting to flag. I just think it got a black eye for being passé but drat it was good.

Pick has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Dec 24, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Skyline is an acquired taste like coffee or alcohol. It's pretty rare to meet someone who likes it the first time they have it but once you've had it a couple times it just starts to hit the spot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I could see that. Hell, I can put up with Malort now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could see that. Hell, I can put up with Malort now.

I refuse to drink enough Malort to build up a taste for it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I had Skyline for dinner last night because of this thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh man, where are the C-SPAM brigade with their guillotine smileys when you need them?..

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
my personal chili recipe contains a single tiny, golden bean with a street value of approximately one million us dollars

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Paladinus posted:

Oh man, where are the C-SPAM brigade with their guillotine smileys when you need them?..

I was gonna post it but I can't remember what it's called because some dipshit didn't call it :guillotine:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im sure someone in the world would pay one million us dollars to scientifically make texans as mad as possible

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Man has a nerd - sponsored 10k patron to fund his 200 USD chili gourmet microwave meals let him eat what he wants I tell you even if it's abject trash!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fauna posted:

my personal chili recipe contains a single tiny, golden bean with a street value of approximately one million us dollars

Unless that bean also passed through a small, possibly marsupial mammal's disgestive tract like that Indonesian civet cat coffee I'm not interested and consider you a fraud.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
it's thermidor after the republican calender month. Which then lead to a bunch of dumb dumbs assuming that was what you called mr choppy instead of a guillotine

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Coolness Averted posted:

it's thermidor after the republican calender month. Which then lead to a bunch of dumb dumbs assuming that was what you called mr choppy instead of a guillotine

Isn't it also because the smilie was bought in a thread about some doofus's French Revolution strategy RPG, also named Thermidor? IIRC this was also a pretty good saga, in that said doofus registered to promote their game in Games, it got clowned on at length, and the OP kept trying to close the thread only for a mod to reopen it every time.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm pretty sure it came from the games thread where a guy tried advertising his dumb french revolution rpg called Thermidor and got made fun of. Second thread they made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804254&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Dec 24, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thermidors are awesome for keeping cigars fresh.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hub Cat posted:

I'm pretty sure it came from the games thread where a guy tried advertising his dumb french revolution rpg called Thermidor and got made fun of. Second thread they made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804254&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I almost forgot about that! And it was a great thread.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Unless that bean also passed through a small, possibly marsupial mammal's disgestive tract like that Indonesian civet cat coffee I'm not interested and consider you a fraud.

It's one of these: https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-06-20/massive-urethral-bean-removed-horse-penis/8635606

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thermidors are awesome for keeping cigars fresh.

This is unironically how I remember the name for the smiley. It looks like it could be one of those fancy cigar cutter things and thermidors are cigar related. My fingers want to add an 'e' to the end of the word like a raver trying to get one more e in before the warehouse gets raided.

:thermidor:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
humidors are for cigars, they were making a joke

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
A Glistening Thermidor

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

humidors are for cigars, they were making a joke

no that's a matador

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hub Cat posted:

This seems like such an unlikely circumstance. To think that all guillotine memes may have come from such a random unimportant games conversation where the image was briefly relevant. It almost didn't permanently influence the spread of revolutionary thought around the globe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bell jar posted:

no that's a matador

That weird guy at the front of a restaurant? What does he have to do with the French Revolution?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

That weird guy at the front of a restaurant? What does he have to do with the French Revolution?

You're thinking of a conqueror. Matadors are the ones going about with lutes and singing at other people's wives.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So this happened:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907737

BENGHAZI 2 was given a month probation by Beer4TheBeerGod that was clearly unwarranted. It was lowered to a 2 week probation, which was also unwarranted. What followed was some truly pathetic attempts at deflection, from “too many words lol” to “Beer4theBeerGod’s comments are fine because one trans person said it was okay” to “BENGHAZI 2 deserves a long probation due to an extensive history of *cough*mumblemumble*cough*” Oh, and as always there are a handful of people who are strangely intent on dismissing any and all mod criticism on the basis that this is an internet forum so :shrug:

Finally, Party Plane Jones reversed BENGHAZI 2’s probation and gave themselves 2 weeks instead, in a move that was framed as being some sort of penance, somehow, but also conveniently absolved them of having to respond to any more criticism. Then fool_of_sound closed the thread after emptyquoting Beer4TheBeerGod apologizing for his mistake and promising to learn from it and do better, which was pretty much identical to the last time he apologized for a big fuckup and promised to do better.

What I found really astounding about this was how fool_of_sound, and later Party Plane Jones, managed to make things so much worse. The thread started as a simple request to undo a probation, and ended with at least 20 people calling for the resignation of two moderators, entirely off the back of how hard they faceplanted their reaction to this.

Anyway, this is all more complex than my post makes it out to be and seems to be related to a history of issues with these mods that I am not completely familiar with. I hope they reopen QCS soon so this stuff doesn’t pass by unnoticed due to being in whatever subforum.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ariong posted:

So this happened:

It’s the worst thread in d&d and I wish you all would keep your drama there.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What is the I Want Nothing gang tag?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

hanales posted:

It’s the worst thread in d&d and I wish you all would keep your drama there.

Who are you talking to?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dickeye is an absolutely awful poster and seeing people try to make a martyr out of them is depressing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That probe was extremely hosed up though. Like a whole month? For calling someone out for defending Kaiser Permanente?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xarbala posted:

That probe was extremely hosed up though. Like a whole month? For calling someone out for defending Kaiser Permanente?

The probation was for mod sass which is one of the stupidest and most cop-like rules here. Mods and admins and cops should never ever have final ultimate authority.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also two people got Perma'd for "doxxing" one of those mods when all they did was reference something the mod in question had posted about once or twice before.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Also two people got Perma'd for "doxxing" one of those mods when all they did was reference something the mod in question had posted about once or twice before.

We have a standard that reposting things like that is doxxing, that's what kicked this off and I maintain that's a fair standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

The probation was for mod sass which is one of the stupidest and most cop-like rules here. Mods and admins and cops should never ever have final ultimate authority.

gently caress the mods