Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

They should just give people access to the DNA profile they take from you at MEPS/Boot camp, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress it, they should put a dna test lab in the entrances to the PXs/BXs right next to those family crest shield and sword assholes. Oh you want a Wallace bloodline crest on your English broadsword? Let's just see if that lines up with your bloodwork.

I just want to say that I read this descriptio in these forums many, many times before, but the first time I set foot in a PX as a dirty contractor and found these vendors precisely as described, lined up in their little kiosks outside of the Subway (our destination) it made me laugh my rear end off

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Super big the closer your get to basic training units. Fuckers get out flush with more cash than they've ever had in their life and these sword people make serious money from idiots.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why do they even allow those snake oil fuckers onto bases

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

There is no level of the military that isn't open to bribes

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

not caring here posted:

Super big the closer your get to basic training units. Fuckers get out flush with more cash than they've ever had in their life and these sword people make serious money from idiots.
Just cause you come from a shitload of incest doesn't mean you're royalty.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress it, they should put a dna test lab in the entrances to the PXs/BXs right next to those family crest shield and sword assholes. Oh you want a Wallace bloodline crest on your English broadsword? Let's just see if that lines up with your bloodwork.

I somehow missed every other bullshit boot trap but the goddamn Irish sword and shield sellers. I’ve had a lovely faux crackled shield that I paid like five hundred dollars too much for for almost 20 years now and my wife won’t let me get rid of it because we use it to remind us of how shameful impulse buying things can turn out.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Always enjoyed the “America’s mix” of m&ms in vending machines.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I got got in boot by the ring salesman and the video yearbook bullshit. I was dumb. Still am!

Casimir Radon posted:

Just cause you come from a shitload of incest doesn't mean you're royalty.

Part manx here, can confirm.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hekk posted:

I somehow missed every other bullshit boot trap but the goddamn Irish sword and shield sellers. I’ve had a lovely faux crackled shield that I paid like five hundred dollars too much for for almost 20 years now and my wife won’t let me get rid of it because we use it to remind us of how shameful impulse buying things can turn out.

My name is literally derived from the Gaelic word for gravedigger (or grave robber), so I know drat well my ancestors never actually had their own heraldry. That was for English-descended nobility, not just any peasants.

E: also, European heraldry varied from generation to generation. By its very nature, your own heraldic crest would be somewhat different from any of your ancestors,' because you would take your some combination of your parents' crests and modify it with an addition that you felt represented you personally.

Even if the kiosk salesmen found heraldry that was really associated with your family (unlikely!) it wouldn't be valid for the new generation. You may as well just make your own crest. Do you like lions? Cool. Maybe make one rampant. With the earth and sky in the background. Badass. The College of Arms won't recognize it, but gently caress em you're not a British colonial subject anymore.

Unless you are (TF, HS, Jaguars! etc)

Double edit: why yes, my dorky teenage self did, in fact, develop my own heraldry. iirc it was a wolf and maybe some fleur-de-lis?

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 24, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m gonna develop my own. It’s gonna be a KFC failure bowl and a bottle of tapatio. Maybe add a trubbish in the background and a motto of “you gonna eat that?”.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

My name is a variation of a heretical sect so I can guarantee there’s not heraldry associated with that after the Catholics hunted them for a few hundred years

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i never bought a ring or yearbook or sword or poo poo

i have a AIT shirt still but besides that nothin

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don’t have my 326 TRS boot camp sweater any more.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have the yearbook and that was too much since I hate half of the people in it. My dumbass tech school roommate bought a ring which wasn't sized correctly so he was wearing it on his middle finger. He still had the jacket order form and intended to send it in except he kept blowing his pathetic E-2 paycheck on other stupid poo poo and couldn't scrape together whatever stupid amount of money it cost. He got himself kicked out for who knows what within about a year of enlisting. I'd believe just about anything.

He kept buying lighters and was burning plastic bags and other junk in the room. He left them laying around so I kept throwing them awaym

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arc Light posted:

You may as well just make your own crest. Do you like lions? Cool. Maybe make one rampant. With the earth and sky in the background. Badass. The College of Arms won't recognize it, but gently caress em you're not a British colonial subject anymore.

My parents did something like this when they got married - they commissioned a design with a crossed stethoscope and rock hammer as the symbols of their professions. It's not exactly a traditional coat of arms but it's a pretty cool piece of artwork.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Vendors offering poorly-designed "weapons" that are better off as showpieces than actually being used?

Gee, I dunno.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m gonna develop my own. It’s gonna be a KFC failure bowl and a bottle of tapatio. Maybe add a trubbish in the background and a motto of “you gonna eat that?”.

Inside a crab pot, obviously.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 24, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

Vendors offering poorly-designed "weapons" that are better off as showpieces than actually being used?

It's a false economy, it'll break the first time you use it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's a false economy, it'll break the first time you use it

Exactly. I was also trying to tie it to other things:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I figured it was something like if 70% of troops find out their kid is actually a squadmate's, they'd have a pretty interesting mutiny.

Elite warfighters train together

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

new psyops campaign: just give every enlisted enemy combatant a dna test for their kids

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Godholio posted:

Exactly. I was also trying to tie it to other things:

Those things all have a very important purpose.

To get Marines killed.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If ur about to burst a vein thinking about Donald Trump, just remember the months he spent savagely owning Chris Christie and know there are at least a few motes of dust on the "good things" side of the scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2-3w_aDAxg

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LingcodKilla posted:

"θα το φάτε"

You want that poo poo to be legit, so the motto has to be in an ancient language, poorly translated

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

If ur about to burst a vein thinking about Donald Trump, just remember the months he spent savagely owning Chris Christie and know there are at least a few motes of dust on the "good things" side of the scale.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.wwno.org/post/6-year-old-finds-message-alleging-chinese-prison-labor-box-christmas-cards

London girl makes unexpected pen pal connection

quote:

Six-year-old Florence Widdicombe was writing notes on Christmas cards to her school friends in South London when she discovered that one card had already been written on.

"We are foreign prisoners in Shanghai Qingpu prison China," it said in English, written in all capital letters. "Forced to work against our will. Please help us and notify human rights organization."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Conspiracy time!

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazons-joy-covey-killed-company-delivery-van-report-2019-12

quote:

The former Amazon executive Joy Covey was killed after colliding with a van delivering Amazon packages, according to an explosive investigation into the company's logistics network by BuzzFeed News and ProPublica.

Covey was Amazon's first chief financial officer. She was riding her bike in San Francisco's South Bay suburbs in 2013 when a delivery van turned left into her path.

What did she know and why did Bezos want her gone?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 24, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1209326852944408577?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not even remotely surprised that was in Arizona.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Are they going to be charged with rape and/or sexual assault? They should be.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Are they going to be charged with rape and/or sexual assault? They should be.

Of course not. Cops don’t consider sex workers people.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course not. Cops don’t consider non-cops to be people.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Of course not. Cops don’t consider sex workers people.

I knew the answer. I meant that a lot more bitter and sarcastic than came across.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1209521959593103362?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wait, we have call centers in prisons now?

The gently caress?

That's honestly some circle of hell. Not the first, not seventh, but definitely in the middle somewhere.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh boy another hosed up layer to felony disenfranchisement, telling people to do the thing you're not allowed to do any more.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bloomberg dared the prisoner to eat 50 eggs

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Prison call centers have been a thing for a while now. One of the many, many hosed up things about our system of freedom, democracy, and liberty.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Late stage capitalism is one helluva trip isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"What the gently caress prisoner, you want to talk to your family? Yeah that'll be five dollars a minute, payable only by this "debit card" we graciously allow your family to set up for you that will have 2.7 gazillion pages of legalese and microscopic print outlining surprise fees and charges added to it. Now get back to your unpaid labor job at the call center."

It's just so wildly monstrous I start from the point of not wanting to believe it and end at the point of wanting to drink the hate away.