Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

mewse posted:

That's what I've been looking at recently as a great all-rounder. V-Twin, affordable, decent power. Would prefer full fairings though..

SV650SF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sv650 or (i'm biased) FZ1. :smug: yeah i've got an R1, but comfortable

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's p much the riding I do, where "shorter road trips" are like three days at the most

The V-strom 650 served me pretty well for that for a decade. Less inspiring handling than an SV, I'm sure, but pretty goddamn comfortable (aside from the dirty air off the stock windscreen, which I could tolerate just enough to never bother with replacing it)

The ZRX, to my joy, will do the same (when it's cooperating) and it looks a gently caress of a lot cooler

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Am I an idiot for loving how the SV650X looks?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Thanks all, I will start looking into all the recommendations! A 650 would probably be the perfect sweet spot for my next bike.

Rolo posted:

Hell no I think it looks rad, and I'm a superficial bastard who shelled out extra for Kawasaki's "KRT" green and black color scheme on my last two bikes because they speak directly to the shiny objects part of my brain

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rolo posted:

We're delving into entirely subjective opinions but it doesn't speak to me like the new katana does. I do like the clip-ons. I don't like how the SV has a single exhaust pipe kinda drooping around the front of the engine.

The dark leather "cafe racer seat" looks like a regular black motorcycle seat that they've covered with leather rather than an actual leather seat. That last sentence is kinda wacko but it just looks a little bit off to me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

The dark leather "cafe racer seat" looks like a regular black motorcycle seat that they've covered with leather rather than an actual leather seat. That last sentence is kinda wacko but it just looks a little bit off to me

Suzuki-looking, you're trying to say the cafe racer seat is particularly Suzuki-looking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone listen up. Take a knee guys.

*long nasal inhale*

Buy an SV650

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Suzuki-looking

Like the guy who was responsible for that part of the bike showed up late to the meeting where they were deciding on the direction of the whole aesthetic and also left early?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone listen up. Take a knee guys.

*long nasal inhale*

Buy an SV650

This made me lol, good stuff.

(100% correct though)

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Like the guy who was responsible for that part of the bike showed up late to the meeting where they were deciding on the direction of the whole aesthetic and also left early?

Also he bumped into the accountant on the way out and now they have beef and so it gets forks from 1990 out of spite.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I like to think Suzuki aesthetics are actually all designed by an AI who was fed generic pictures of motorcycles though a lens coated in grease.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
It looks like the Harley thread is dead (insert harbinger of the brand here), but can I get some opinions on this? I'm going to take a look at it after New Years and it looks good to me, at least in pictures.

https://boneyardcyclesonline.net/product/2011-harley-davidson-fatboy-lo/

e:VVV My knowledge of harley reliability mostly stems from jokes about how much the brand sucks, and I want to make sure I'm not buying an awkwardly shaped yard gnome. I've read some grumblings about camchain tensioners but that was for pre-06 models so that shouldn't be a concern, I just don't know what actually would be.

I think this is one of those "I'm not asking for advice as much as I'm asking for permission" situations, which I admit is annoying as poo poo.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 27, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It seems......fine?

29k miles is a decent amount though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks pretty decent. The switch to hydraulic tensioners took that from being a guaranteed point of failure to roughly on a par with normal bikes, although the chains still tend to get thrashed if you fit lumpier cams. Gear driven cams are the real solution.

Only other thing that jumps out on those is the primary chain tensioner. There's no window on the primary, which means it's got an automatic tensioner of questionable design.

It's on a one-way ratchet, but the ratchet 'steps' are quite big in relation to chain slack, so what tends to happen is the chain gets longer when the bike is hot, the tensioner dutifully clicks another step, then when the bike cools the chain shrinks but the tensioner can't back off a step so it ends up over tightened. It's not a huge problem, it just makes them annoying to ride at carpark speeds and results in some unpleasant noises. A very straightforward fix is to whip the cover off, stick in a $100 manual tensioner, never worry about it again.

Other things: immediately dump the primary and gearbox fluids, replace with something synthetic in the gearbox. Guarantee it's never been done and it makes a huge difference to the ride.

That particular bike also won't stop very well as it has the dreaded single brake + solid wheel combo. Again not a major, it's easy to retrofit a second brake from a wrecked bike. Solid front wheels tend to make the bike very susceptible to crosswinds but YMMV.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 28, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Awesome, thanks. Pretty sure I can manage all of that. Hell, I've taken my Kawasaki apart a couple times, assuming this isn't a turd it should be a lot easier to live with

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
So I took the deal for 5k on the Iron 883. But Bumps that are obver hear are loving me ovwer and the bike scratches some of them, learning how to go through them without the scratches!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MikeStmria posted:

So I took the deal for 5k on the Iron 883. But Bumps that are obver hear are loving me ovwer and the bike scratches some of them, learning how to go through them without the scratches!

Having a chuckle picturing this post being frantically swiped in while your other hand holds on to the throttle, the bike bouncing and crashing everywhere.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol that 100% reads like you’re posting while riding it.

Edit: oh come on!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think somebody posted a gif or video of a rider whipping out a phone and typing while slowing down for a traffic light. Do not emulate that man. Please don't

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The gore video is in the pics thread :stonk:

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Slavvy posted:

Having a chuckle picturing this post being frantically swiped in while your other hand holds on to the throttle, the bike bouncing and crashing everywhere.

I typed that like if I was in that exact situation, sorry for that terrible spelling. Posting still gets me nervous.

Today I really got stuck in one, the front wheel was on the air and the back one barely touching the ground while the bike was chilling on top of the bump. Had to ask a pedestrian for help to push me LOL

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm gonna need a pic of these roads. Do you have a lowering kit or something on it or how huge are these bumps?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm gonna need a pic of these roads. Do you have a lowering kit or something on it or how huge are these bumps?

I will leave this as reference

We have all sizes and flavors, most non main streets have at least 2

E: This is the bike

mewse
May 2, 2006

Found a listing that's really tempting but I don't have any money

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good, that is a terrible bike.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Good, that is a terrible bike.

Whats the diff between that and a late 70s CB750?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Whats the diff between that and a late 70s CB750?

Self respect?

A CB750 is a carefully designed cohesive whole where all the parts work in unison to deliver a superb riding experience. It's capable and rapid and nimble by the standards of the time, especially for a 'big' bike.

The suzuki is a [MOTORCYCLE] with a [750CC I4]. It weighs a million tons. The suspension and brakes are whatever is cheap and available and technically functional; handling was not a concern. The styling is also some dumb faddy 'custom' BS but hey.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 6, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am Suzuki super fan #1, and I’ll say no way is that a $750 bike.

The differences between that and a CB750 are honestly not going to be huge. The Suzuki is more technologically advanced than the CB, so despite having not the best brakes for its day they’ll still be better than the single disk slab of concrete that comes on a CB750. Neither bikes will have great suspension in tyool 2020 and both will need upgrades to be even “decent”

The biggest difference will be the engine characteristics between a SOHC and dohc motor, where the sohc motor wins despite them probably making similar numbers on paper.

It’s just not worth that asking price.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
On the other hand, it is a bike and it is important to buy all the bikes forever and ever amen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

builds character posted:

On the other hand, it is a bike and it is important to buy all the bikes forever and ever amen.
Have you bought it yet?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

Have you bought it yet?

Obviously.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Get u a man who looks at u like the world looks at 80s trashbikes on Craigslist.

Why is it always that sort of trash bike that gets proffered up as a "deal you gotta snap up"? It's always a 70s/80s mediocre ugly mistake for a ridiculously high price that people are all "I need a bike this one looks good right?".

You never see people asking about $1200 ninjettes or $800 Zuma's for their budget runabouts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

Get u a man who looks at u like the world looks at 80s trashbikes on Craigslist.

Why is it always that sort of trash bike that gets proffered up as a "deal you gotta snap up"? It's always a 70s/80s mediocre ugly mistake for a ridiculously high price that people are all "I need a bike this one looks good right?".

You never see people asking about $1200 ninjettes or $800 Zuma's for their budget runabouts.

Given that that ad is from Ste Anne, MB, I would guess it's more a matter of what's available that isn't a Skidoo, and a 1983 Suzuki is a lot more likely than a Zuma or a Crotch Rocket™ Ninja 250. (you might get lucky with some early 90s Ninja 500 exotica for twice the price)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am Suzuki super fan #1, and I’ll say no way is that a $750 bike.

The differences between that and a CB750 are honestly not going to be huge. The Suzuki is more technologically advanced than the CB, so despite having not the best brakes for its day they’ll still be better than the single disk slab of concrete that comes on a CB750. Neither bikes will have great suspension in tyool 2020 and both will need upgrades to be even “decent”

The biggest difference will be the engine characteristics between a SOHC and dohc motor, where the sohc motor wins despite them probably making similar numbers on paper.

It’s just not worth that asking price.

I'm not buying it, but I was thinking it's worth 500-600 cad if he has the title. $385-462 usd

Coydog posted:

Finger Prince posted:

Given that that ad is from Ste Anne, MB, I would guess it's more a matter of what's available that isn't a Skidoo, and a 1983 Suzuki is a lot more likely than a Zuma or a Crotch Rocket™ Ninja 250. (you might get lucky with some early 90s Ninja 500 exotica for twice the price)

I have a ninja 250 that I've fixed up already

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coydog posted:

The worst thing to happen to motorcycles was the 80’s trend of manufacturers chasing a factory cruiser look. It resulted in bikes that didn’t age well at all, stylistically, frames and suspension that suffered to accommodate bullshit easy rider aesthetics, cool and unique engines forever trapped in softball cruiser frames and an entire generation of motorcycles rendered essentially worthless today. And every single manufacturer did it, crating a glut of garbage that even 40 years later people can’t find a good use for.

Yeah there are a couple of standouts like Yamaha XV’s that can be turned into cafe bikes but in general that whole era of factory “custom” cruisers are worthless garbage today.

Pisses me off to no end.

mewse posted:

I'm not buying it, but I was thinking it's worth 500-600 cad if he has the title. $385-462 usd

Yeah the GS engines are nothing to sneeze at, and are the foundation of some of the best motorcycle engines of all time, so there’s that. As I said, it’s just too bad that engine is surrounded by that frame. Suzuki at least was good about making standard versions of all those bikes, so the motors didn’t get trapped in cruiser hell. I’d say $400 is the top end of what I’d pay for it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 6, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The worst thing to happen to motorcycles was the 80’s trend of manufacturers chasing a factory cruiser look. It resulted in bikes that didn’t age well at all, stylistically, frames and suspension that suffered to accommodate bullshit easy rider aesthetics, cool and unique engines forever trapped in softball cruiser frames and an entire generation of motorcycles rendered essentially worthless today. And every single manufacturer did it, crating a glut of garbage that even 40 years later people can’t find a good use for.

Yeah there are a couple of standouts like Yamaha XV’s that can be turned into cafe bikes but in general that whole era of factory “custom” cruisers are worthless garbage today.

It's interesting that with all the differences in markets and bike availability between here and the US, what you've described above is still 100% accurate here. 80's 'custom style' japanese bikes are the absolute bottom of the barrel, worst and cheapest bikes available and only people with no style, dignity and intellect look at them and think 'yes this is a better idea than a $1500 gn250'.

One of the most popular models locally? Why it's the JDM imported NV400 STEEEEED!!! with a sleeved down shadow 600 engine (in case you were worried about ever breaking the speed limit) and a factory springer front end. And yes, it's the springer in particular that sells them. They are absolutely miserable and have zero redeeming qualities and I say that as a Honda small bike tragic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s even worse is there is a good bike somewhere in there. They’re still Japanese bikes at the end of the day, it’s just buried under a mountain of decisions made so poorly that sometimes the only good thing left is the engine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

...just buried under a mountain of decisions made so poorly that sometimes the only good thing left is the engine.

"A Suzuki"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not even close but if you gotta try to flex, ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not even close but if you gotta try to flex, ok

I'm just fuckin with ya