Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

OK! Calling Omoly! Your apple baby is done and ready to be delivered. D'you want em' nicknamed?

Nah, his name is already adorable. My friend code is SW-4236-2401-2341. Can you trade now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I tried to get a shiny eevee for the past week. 40 boxes in and my sanity left. I killed my foreign ditto and just wonder traded till I got a foreign eevee

5 eggs in was all it took. :unsmigghh:

Now ontop of the other 6 I have Falinks, Polteagiest, Rapidash, Umbreon, Vaporeon, Flareon, Unfeazent, Dubwool.
I'm not going for a shiny dex I swear.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah, his name is already adorable. My friend code is SW-4236-2401-2341. Can you trade now?

Sure. Friend code is SW-6917-9642-9875 IGN is Molly. Do you need a code for contact?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
RIP Megas, you will be sorely missed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

Sure. Friend code is SW-6917-9642-9875 IGN is Molly. Do you need a code for contact?

yes please, first time trying to trade with a specific person online in Shield and I'm not sure how it works.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Oh yeah, sure no problem. I got sword specifically so I can name him lol. Overchill Pokecenter to work out the code?

If you're on the Pokegoons discord my username is korusan, find me in the trading chat!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

yes please, first time trying to trade with a specific person online in Shield and I'm not sure how it works.

Alright. I'm going to set the code to 1986. Hit up the link trade and type that number in. Can you tell me your IGN so I don't get any accidental mixups? This gen's been not great about that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

Alright. I'm going to set the code to 1986. Hit up the link trade and type that number in. Can you tell me your IGN so I don't get any accidental mixups? This gen's been not great about that.

okay entered the code, in game name is Fayette.

Edit: Not to be a negative nellie, but this kind of seems like a bit of a step backwards from what they had in sun and moon.

edit edit: Thank you! I shall raise this apple baby to be a big strong pie.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

okay entered the code, in game name is Fayette.

Okie dokie there ya go!

edit: I believe no one is better suited to make sure they grow up to be the heartiest of pie dragons. :D

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

Okie dokie there ya go!

Thanks again!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Edit: Not to be a negative nellie, but this kind of seems like a bit of a step backwards from what they had in sun and moon.

it absolutely is

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Removing basic friend-to-friend trading and GTS is some of the most baffling poo poo Game Freak has ever done.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else feel kinda bad for Gamefreak? They were probably making GBS threads bricks when the Switch sold like gangbusters. The screeching of fans to PUT POKEMON STARS ON THE SWITCH NOW probably did not help. Now we are here and welp. GF kinda went in over their heads it seems.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone else feel kinda bad for Gamefreak? They were probably making GBS threads bricks when the Switch sold like gangbusters. The screeching of fans to PUT POKEMON STARS ON THE SWITCH NOW probably did not help. Now we are here and welp. GF kinda went in over their heads it seems.

They have Scrooge McDuck levels of money, it's kind of hard to feel bad for them.

If anything, I just want them to have a breather and a little more time to work on their game. It's clear that they have some great ideas, they seemingly just need more time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They shouldn't have rushed it out. It's not like people wouldn't have bought it if they had taken the time to finish it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

They shouldn't have rushed it out. It's not like people wouldn't have bought it if they had taken the time to finish it.

Their timetable is literally horrific.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

I feel more sympathetic (not bad, but just I don't know, what's one notch above apathetic?) to their non-Pokemon attempts being non-noteworthy. Tembo, Giga Wrecker, the solitaire one and now Little Hero were efforts with the latest getting to be pinned for blame on why Sword and Shield aren't up to some people's judgement.

Introductory generation games are usually not the best (BW being my sole exception), but it's disheartening to see 8 generations and these problems of 1 step, 2 steps back continues. But tradition also means later-gen games usually get stuff right/better.

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 24, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Violet_Sky posted:

Developing for new hardware is not their strongest suit (nearly every generation had development issues). If they did have a choice, they probably would have stuck to the 3DS or whatever its hypothetical successor would have been, rather then its actual successor. Plus they were also developing Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee at the same time, so half as many people where involved in development. The National Dex cut is kind of a bummer but balancing a game with 800+ characters is pretty much impossible so putting them on a rotation is a good call for the series as most people will just play around with only 20 to 80 monsters in a given game regardless of if the pool was 400 or 800 monsters.

Its also very obvious from the world design that most of it went to the wild area, and really went bare bones with the rest of the game, as if they were cut for time and couldn't implement all the ideas that they wanted to include.

I could say that these games are in dire need of a third version/sequel/retelling/follow up game, but I have no idea what fan reactions would be for that, given how negative the vocal minority is. People desperately want Diamond and Pearl remakes, but given how Sword and Shield turned out... Is that even a good idea at this point?

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 24, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Abundant Atrophy posted:

New gen starters are usually not the best (BW being my sole exception),

:3:

:hai:

:wtf::barf:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Samurott is fine. :colbert:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I will say that the Pokémon themselves are universally loved though, even if people don't like the games they appear in. Gen 8's starters for instance, despite all of them being mono-typed after 2 generations where the starters became wicked type combos, they're all pretty strong and pretty well regarded.

Then you have standouts like Wooloo, Falinks and Snom.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Lemme tell you something.
That is a typo I do not have the language to fix. (new starts to the generation?)
Also, and most importantly,

Leraika posted:

Samurott is fine. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Putting together the tier list earlier of all the new mons (including Galar) forms made me really realize that Gen 8 is either The Best Designs or The Worst Ones.

I think that like, only 2-3 were just pure 'whatever' for me (the elephants namely)

As for the games themselves they suck rear end but honestly, whatever, nothing is ever going to change with Game Freak and I think I can finally accept them being content to churn out the junk food of jrpgs. They'll never aim for anything ambitious and I don't have faith in them to put any real effort in seriously improving their games in ways that most people want when they sell as well as they do anyway. I'll just wait for Gen 8's revisions (or Sinnoh remakes or whatever) and be thankful if they decide to put a working GTS back in or make 6v6 battles actually completeable.
I'm sure I'll have to give up the camp/curry or the ability to rename traded pokemon to get it back but it's expected at this point. Can't get something without giving a random feature away and all that.

E: I would love to be proven wrong by them, as a aside. Maybe they'll have actual new models for whatever game is coming out. Maybe proper animations. Pikachu might be in a different idle pose for the first time in 3-4 gens! But I'm not going to get my hopes up. Not after Sword and Shield smashed them all into the ground.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 24, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Putting together the tier list earlier of all the new mons (including Galar) forms made me really realize that Gen 8 is either The Best Designs or The Worst Ones.

I think that like, only 2-3 were just pure 'whatever' for me (the elephants namely)

As for the games themselves they suck rear end but honestly, whatever, nothing is ever going to change with Game Freak and I think I can finally accept them being content to churn out the junk food of jrpgs. They'll never aim for anything ambitious and I don't have faith in them to put any real effort in seriously improving their games in ways that most people want when they sell as well as they do anyway. I'll just wait for Gen 8's revisions (or Sinnoh remakes or whatever) and be thankful if they decide to put a working GTS back in or make 6v6 battles actually completeable.
I'm sure I'll have to give up the camp/curry or the ability to rename traded pokemon to get it back but it's expected at this point. Can't get something without giving a random feature away and all that.

E: I would love to be proven wrong by them, as a aside. Maybe they'll have actual new models for whatever game is coming out. Maybe proper animations. Pikachu might be in a different idle pose for the first time in 3-4 gens! But I'm not going to get my hopes up. Not after Sword and Shield smashed them all into the ground.

It's like each gen they take a few tentative steps forward and then ferociously start punching themselves in the dick. At least that's what it feels like to me, the rest of us just sitting by in gap mouthed horror wondering what the gently caress is happening.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Used my master ball on G-Flapple. Appletun, who carried me through the story, needed a brother. Now I just have to pray I find a G-Lapras. Lapras was my ace in Red version.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

First raid of the night and I joined one for a non-shiny giga Grimmsnarl. Feels like the game is trolling me for trying the shiny raid run last night.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mimikyu get's Wood Hammer as a level 0 move? How have I not noticed that before? loving lol.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

It's like each gen they take a few tentative steps forward and then ferociously start punching themselves in the dick. At least that's what it feels like to me, the rest of us just sitting by in gap mouthed horror wondering what the gently caress is happening.

Gamefreak were never really that good at developing games. Look at Gen 1.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Mimikyu get's Wood Hammer as a level 0 move? How have I not noticed that before? loving lol.

They sneak softly and carry a big stick.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 24, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think the main reasoning they gave for their design philosophy is that they want to give unique experiences for each set of games, and they often view their features as experiments. They may introduce a feature that is beloved by fans, only for it to be abandoned from every game going forward until they cave to fan demand, only for it to be a monkey's paw version, and its a somewhat worse then before.

Perhaps they lost the need to top themselves at a certain point, mostly because they're already on top and they know they're going to sell millions. I think the last time they really got innovative was when Yokai Watch was the biggest monster craze in Japan, and that resulted in Sun and Moon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Gamefreak were never really that good at developing games. Look at Gen 1.

No poo poo, my point is they take baby step improvements each generation and then turn around and rip out a bunch of stuff that was beneficial while adding on poo poo literally nobody was asking for. They've now happily crippled their online functions for reasons best known to God.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 24, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I don't think there's a need to feel bad for gamefreak beyond how we should feel bad for all gaming industry workers, given how horrific crunch is. SwSh have sold like gangbusters even if the games themselves are mediocre with tons of nice QoL. Ganefreak will be fine even if nerds are still upset about the tree or the dex or how the game is mediocre. Now if gamefreak really wants my love they can delete IV's or just start the post game by giving you a 6 IV ditto.

C'mon hackers make christmas dittoy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

I think the main reasoning they gave for their design philosophy is that they want to give unique experiences for each set of games, and they often view their features as experiments. They may introduce a feature that is beloved by fans, only for it to be abandoned from every game going forward until they cave to fan demand, only for it to be a monkey's paw version, and its a somewhat worse then before.

You're supposed to learn from experiments.

GF just kind of sucks.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're supposed to learn from experiments.

GF just kind of sucks.

I genuinely can't fathom what the gently caress is wrong with them. Like seriously they have to know when something is or is not well received. Why the hell they keep making catching, trading , and online battling (the main draws of the game I might add) harder is just....I don't loving know anymore.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:siren: MERRY SNOM-MAS EVE! :siren:

I got a box of 5IV Modest Ice Scales :siren: S N O M :siren: and want to spread some joy during the holidays! For any goons looking to get their hands on one, head over to the pokegoons discord and shoot me a message. I'll be on until 11am EST!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Why get emotionally invested in a Pokemon game anymore if there's no guarantee the Pokemon (your Pokemon friends), moves, mechanics, or basic functionality will be present ever again.

E: well, unless your Pokemon friend is Pikachu or Charizard, but gently caress that

Syenite fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 24, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eimi posted:

I don't think there's a need to feel bad for gamefreak beyond how we should feel bad for all gaming industry workers, given how horrific crunch is. SwSh have sold like gangbusters even if the games themselves are mediocre with tons of nice QoL. Ganefreak will be fine even if nerds are still upset about the tree or the dex or how the game is mediocre. Now if gamefreak really wants my love they can delete IV's or just start the post game by giving you a 6 IV ditto.

C'mon hackers make christmas dittoy.

I just straight up bought a 6iv ditto for two dollars, totally worth it

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Syenite posted:

Why get emotionally invested in a Pokemon game anymore if there's no guarantee the Pokemon (your Pokemon friends), moves, mechanics, or basic functionality will be present ever again.

E: well, unless your Pokemon friend is Pikachu or Charizard, but gently caress that

This acting like some Pokemon will never show up again has got to stop. They'll obviously rotate out a big chunk of monsters between games; there's no way, for instance, that something like Dhelmise or Whiscash will show up in every game going forward when they have extremely common typings and little marketability. Note that both of these Pokemon had at least two counterparts of the same typing in Galar's Pokedex somewhere. It's not like you won't see former franchise star Poliwhirl again in the next two game sets.

It's clear they're at least thinking of remaking DP right now judging by the total lack of Sinnoh legendaries in this game. If so, that's going to rotate in a bunch of monsters, and I doubt they'd leave it at a Pokedex of 150 or 210 for that game.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Golden Gael posted:

This acting like some Pokemon will never show up again has got to stop. They'll obviously rotate out a big chunk of monsters between games; there's no way, for instance, that something like Dhelmise or Whiscash will show up in every game going forward when they have extremely common typings and little marketability. Note that both of these Pokemon had at least two counterparts of the same typing in Galar's Pokedex somewhere. It's not like you won't see former franchise star Poliwhirl again in the next two game sets.

It's clear they're at least thinking of remaking DP right now judging by the total lack of Sinnoh legendaries in this game. If so, that's going to rotate in a bunch of monsters, and I doubt they'd leave it at a Pokedex of 150 or 210 for that game.

We also don't know what Pokemon Home will be like. They said our purged mons (I know, but what else do you call them?) will be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Golden Gael posted:

This acting like some Pokemon will never show up again has got to stop.

nobody is acting like this. they're acting like it'll be 2-4 years (or more) between their favorites being in a game, and that sucks, especially for people who have gone through the trouble of breeding (for example) a shiny Sizzilipede then finding out it isn't in gen 9, or 10, and their buddy just has to sit in home for all that time

people need to stop acting like that isn't corny