Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Dr M glow in the movie was better than the glow the show used.

The blue skin tone looks alright cuz it's just blue paint on his body, not vfx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Farm Frenzy posted:

she has like five extensive monologues and never mentions imperialism

given that the only thing the show itself has to say about American imperialism is "people that strike out against our occupying forces deserve to be put down like rabid dogs", is that really surprising?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

given that the only thing the show itself has to say about American imperialism is "people that strike out against our occupying forces deserve to be put down like rabid dogs", is that really surprising?

last one out close the thread

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, I'm out until they release a trailer for S2 if there is one.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've been mulling it over, and while I still like the show, the dr. Manhattan plot was a lot less interesting than where the story waa going before that.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

KoRMaK posted:

The blue skin tone looks alright cuz it's just blue paint on his body, not vfx

He’s not super jacked in the book. Fit, but not muscly.

He doesn’t glow all the time In the book. He’s not glowing at the television interview and even changes color to assist the makeup man.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've been mulling it over, and while I still like the show, the dr. Manhattan plot was a lot less interesting than where the story waa going before that.

Yep.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Real life 7th Cav/Cyclops: https://www.npr.org/2019/12/20/790192972/washington-legislator-matt-shear-accused-of-domestic-terrorism-report-finds

quote:

Independent investigators commissioned by the Washington State House of Representatives found that Shea, as a leader of the Patriot Movement, "planned, engaged in, and promoted a total of three armed conflicts of political violence against the United States government" between 2014 and 2016.

The report also concluded that Shea was involved in training young people to fight a "holy war." He created a pamphlet called Biblical Basis for War and advocated replacing the government with a theocracy and "the killing of all males who do not agree."

:tinfoil:

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Just finished the first season and I'm hard pressed to think of a show that poo poo the bed harder in the final two episodes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

I vaguely remember the combination of blue LED-suit + VFX:ing the actor over by hand being monstrously expensive so I'm not surprised the show didn't go that way.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bubble Bobby posted:

Just finished the first season and I'm hard pressed to think of a show that poo poo the bed harder in the final two episodes

Please elaborate. :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"The killing of all males who do not agree"... That guy couldn't say "I can't get a woman" more clearly if he tried, could he?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
"The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite" - man killed by Oklahoma hillbilly KKK

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Every episode was worse than the one before it. Usually the opposite approach is better.

If you thought the Dr. Manhattan ep was good, maybe storytelling isn't your thing.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Bubble Bobby posted:

Every episode was worse than the one before it. Usually the opposite approach is better.

If you thought the Dr. Manhattan ep was good, maybe storytelling isn't your thing.

The Dr Manhattan ep was my favourite one personally. I did not love the finale though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought this was accurate to the original comic and movie in that it was kinda half baked, sorta fun and stupid

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The show really needed to find other loving songs though, it feels like every oldie or orchestral piece they used has already been done to death in a bunch of other media.
Other songs exist.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The comic is like, the most fully baked comic ever. If anything I could see it being overcooked, but half-baked??

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
In case there is someone in the thread that liked that show in addition to the 5 guys that keep making GBS threads up the thread, you can make your nomination in the end of year poll https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The show really needed to find other loving songs though, it feels like every oldie or orchestral piece they used has already been done to death in a bunch of other media.
Other songs exist.

Lol they were all originals

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

after a week yea this is how I'm feeling. Still really loved the ending, it was crazy and absurd in a good way but yea the other direction I thought they were going kind of faded out for an ole Dr m story.

The editing on the hj ep was so good I thought we were going to keep getting crazy poo poo like that from both visual and story telling

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

Lol they were all originals
Silly fuckin reply...that's why im talking about the non-original music :rolleyes: like "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire", "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)", etc

So much of the music (DISCLAIMER I AM TALKING ABOUT THE MUSIC THAT WAS NOT ORIGINAL) felt on the nose/overused/etc.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Martman posted:

The comic is like, the most fully baked comic ever. If anything I could see it being overcooked, but half-baked??

I like my stories sou vide

Aside from the Verdi music on Europa, the non-original music didn't seem cliche to me? 'Set the world on fire' I've never heard outside of Fallout, and it's a great song for storytelling given the juxtaposition of dreamy calm 40s big band ballad against its hyper violent lyrics.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kodo posted:

I like my stories sou vide

Aside from the Verdi music on Europa, the non-original music didn't seem cliche to me? 'Set the world on fire' I've never heard outside of Fallout, and it's a great song for storytelling given the juxtaposition of dreamy calm 40s big band ballad against its hyper violent lyrics.

To be fair if you've played like one full game of Fallout 3 with the radio on you've heard it enough to want to see the world burn.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Silly fuckin reply...that's why im talking about the non-original music :rolleyes: like "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire", "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)", etc

So much of the music (DISCLAIMER I AM TALKING ABOUT THE MUSIC THAT WAS NOT ORIGINAL) felt on the nose/overused/etc.

Same thing happened on The Leftovers. How many covers of Where Is My Mind did they end up playing? Two? Three?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Alhazred posted:

It also unreal how much better looking Manhattan looks in the show compared to the movie.

Lmfao

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The final two episodes loving sucked

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Same thing happened on The Leftovers. How many covers of Where Is My Mind did they end up playing? Two? Three?

Lol I forgot about this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This really explains a lot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most telling part is all his examples of important literature are books assigned in high school.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hahaha Jesus Christ

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The most telling part is all his examples of important literature are books assigned in high school.

But he was listing books that have been well-known and commonly read over a long time. Of course that list would overlap with books that Americans tend to read in school. He's saying the original Watchmen should be one of those books everyone reads in high school.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those quotes went around before the show aired and they are still not as damning as you think they are

Taber
Nov 17, 2007

Malkin's worst nightmare
I don’t think they go this way, but between Trieu’s mother/daughter, nostalgia pills*, cloning and fastgrowth technology, the technology exists for Angela to just re-create Dr. Manhattan.

*assuming, of course that future memories are nostalgia-able.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Those quotes went around before the show aired and they are still not as damning as you think they are
How damning do you think I think they are? :twisted:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yes, when police are shooting unarmed black children and "neighborhood watch" are doing the same, the truth is in the middle ~ and we need to stop being so angry!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 24, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Season 2 should be Blake and the Mirror Guy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
s2 should be Baby Rorschach

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Holy poo poo. I didn't know this show was a thing that happened until last week when I saw this thread title and did a search to see what was up. I'm so sorry I avoided spoilers. It kinda blows my mind that it managed start out as one of the more compelling adult-ish oriented sci-fi things I've seen in a long time, and then for the last two episodes it became an exercise in watching Damon Lindelof once again getting fifteen feet from the finish line and then slow motion falling face first into a massive pile of dog poo poo. I would have at least had some respect for the show if it ended with a six minute episode seven that opened with redneck cop boinking Ozymandias over the head with a wrench and then a jump cut to that Rick Astley video. HBO really needs to reimburse me for those nine hours they stole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Frankenstyle posted:

HBO really needs to reimburse me for those nine hours they stole.

someone with a baby yoda av was just going to waste them anyway