Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Did Shout! Factory stop re-releasing MST3K DVDs? Volume XII was out in October, and currently there is no new volumes planned at least until April 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ringu0 posted:

Did Shout! Factory stop re-releasing MST3K DVDs? Volume XII was out in October, and currently there is no new volumes planned at least until April 2020

There's no more to release. Volume XII was the last Rhino title.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's no more to release. Volume XII was the last Rhino title.

well, release the old ones again! :mad:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder which ones aside from the Toho stuff they genuinely don't have the rights to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder which ones aside from the Toho stuff they genuinely don't have the rights to.

Taken from the forrestcrow board/forums:

quote:

Despite our best efforts to include the remaining unreleased episodes, due to licensing issues, it is very likely that Volume 39 will be the last collection of never-before-released episodes, and that these remaining episodes may never get a legitimate release.
So it looks like the rest of the unreleased episodes may very well remain unreleased for the near future. This list will still be maintained for the out of print episodes awaiting reissue and the chance that things change down the line for additional single or double-disc releases as certain titles become available.

201- Rocketship X-M
Wade Williams. Wade has a sentimental attachment to this particular film, so it's a firm "NO." <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

213- Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
Toho. <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

309 - The Amazing Colossal Man
Susan Nicholson Hofheinz (aka Susan Hart). She has yet to be interested in any offers from multiple home video labels regarding her library of AIP titles. Word is she wants far too much money to license them. While I don't believe anyone knows the exact story, it's possible she was the one who had the Rhino VHS of #309 pulled back when (which would have been around when the rights to that batch of AIP titles transferred over to her).
<EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

311 - It Conquered the World
Susan Hart (see 309). <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>

416 - Fire Maidens from Outer Space
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Shout Factory possibly has to wait until the Olive deal expires, which could be awhile (one source says Olive has the rights until 2018). <UNLIKELY>

418 - Attack of the The Eye Creatures

807 - Terror from the Year 5000

809 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf

905 - The Deadly Bees
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). One source tells us Olive has a 5-year deal on this with Paramount, so unless Shout manages to work something out with Olive in the meantime, we could be in for a bit of a wait (2020). <UNLIKELY>

906 - The Space Children
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). <UNLIKELY>

913 - Quest of the Delta Knights
Not sure who the current owner is (and, possibly, neither does Shout?). I have found *several* foreign DVD releases despite the movie never getting released stateside: a Region 0 [PAL Format] by Flashback Entertainment (OOP), a Region 4 DVD released in Australia/New Zealand by Payless Entertainment, a Czech Region 2 DVD release by Blesk/Hollywood Classic Entertainment, and even a South Africa Region 2 DVD by Impact Video AND a VCD (yes, VCD) release in the Netherlands!. Wow. So obviously someone managed to sell this film internationally, what could be the issue with the U.S rights? Copyright registered by Ramsway JC/LTD. Originally released on VHS by Hemdale Home Video, reissued by Plaza Ent in 1999. <UNLIKELY>

Plus, a few others they've lost the rights to:

quote:

Volume 14 -
[SOULTAKER is the offender here]

Volume 17 -
[FINAL SACRIFICE is the offender here]

Volume 21: MST3K VS. GAMERA - <EXTREMELY UNLIKELY>
Millcreek Entertainment currently has the rights licensed from Kadokawa. The first Gamera set was a miracle because Shout Factory didn't have to license the films directly from the Japanese rights holders but rather the company JoyPlex. While it sounds like SF is trying to reacquire the rights, it is doubtful they will succeed as the Japanese powers-that-be do not jive with their films being made fun of.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've never really understood that angle regarding Gamera, because my understanding is that even in Japan the Showa Gamera movies are pretty much a laughingstock, and part of the specific appeal of the Heisei trilogy is "holy poo poo these Gamera movies actually don't suck hilarious rear end." You'd think the rights holders would get it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So that's why Space Children and Deadly Bees never showed up on YouTube unofficially.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

quote:

416 - Fire Maidens from Outer Space
Olive Films (licensed from Paramount). Shout Factory possibly has to wait until the Olive deal expires, which could be awhile (one source says Olive has the rights until 2018). <UNLIKELY>

Ummmm...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've never really understood that angle regarding Gamera, because my understanding is that even in Japan the Showa Gamera movies are pretty much a laughingstock, and part of the specific appeal of the Heisei trilogy is "holy poo poo these Gamera movies actually don't suck hilarious rear end." You'd think the rights holders would get it.
I'll bet those Heisei movies are exactly why they're reluctant to license them. Now that there's a non-sucky version, suddenly Gamera in general becomes more valuable, and it's actually worth being protective of the brand.

I also wonder how much it has to do with the work that actually goes into a tokusatsu production, even the cheesiest ones: miniatures, costumes, assembly, camera angles, false perspective, stuntmen, pyrotechnics. Maybe they don't like to see that disrespected?

Although this still leaves stitched-together TV series like Fugitive Alien and Mighty Jack to consider. Maybe TsuPro figures the damage has already been done by Sandy Frank, so MST can have at it? Or maybe TsuPro just isn't as protective as Toho and Daiei.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah a couple of those might be coming into play sooner or later. Susan Hart beginning to ease her death grip on a bunch of movies might also yield more episodes in the not too distant future.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What sin could a man commit in a single lifetime to be denied The Amazing Colossal Man.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tsuburaya the company is also pretty up for some absurd things

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I want to know is how War of the Colossal Beast got through. It's literally the sequel to Amazing Colossal Man, still made by Bert I. Goron, did the rights end up somewhere else?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Same way all of the Godzilla films released in the US before 1998 ended up in the hands of, like, eight different rights holders, and why it took more than 20 years after that for Criterion to be able to release the the entire Showa series in one collection (and even then, they had to compromise with Universal over King Kong vs. Godzilla).

In the old days, these rights got passed out to anyone who wanted to pay for them, because no one thought they would ever have any long term value. Now, no one wants to give them up because no one wants to be the person who sold the Next Big Thing for pennies on the dollar before it happens.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Paper Kaiju posted:

Same way all of the Godzilla films released in the US before 1998 ended up in the hands of, like, eight different rights holders, and why it took more than 20 years after that for Criterion to be able to release the the entire Showa series in one collection (and even then, they had to compromise with Universal over King Kong vs. Godzilla).

In the old days, these rights got passed out to anyone who wanted to pay for them, because no one thought they would ever have any long term value. Now, no one wants to give them up because no one wants to be the person who sold the Next Big Thing for pennies on the dollar before it happens.

I wonder how many copies of the Mstied versions would actually be sold? I can't imagine if would be even be a blip on their radar.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm just glad my dad got them before they were recalled.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is mst3k dead, or can we get a season in Hulu or Disney+?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm just glad my dad got them before they were recalled.

Same (well, I got it myself, not my dad). I need to look and see if there is a decent rip of Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster out there. I have the 15-year-old DAP DVD encode, but unfortunately that was one of their poorer releases.

While official (re)releases of the Godzilla and Gamera episodes is unlikely, there is some possible movement on some other episodes. The MST forum thread on likelihood of releases has some good stuff from the past couple of weeks.

Susan Hart sued Shout Factory and some others over copyright infringement and things... didn't go well for her. Here's what one person gathered from online PACER documents:

quote:

Ok, quick rundown of events.

After the initial mediation, apparently nothing came of it and Shout Factory applied for a motion for summary judgment. Essentially saying that Susan has no case, fair use, it should be dismissed, etc.

Shout et al argued that Susan:
1. Has not proved ownership or renewal on the copyrights of said films.
2. The clips used were under Fair Use.
And most interestingly
3. Susan has not sought to actively protect her works, as a quick Google search will show YouTube uploads of the full films she claims Shout infringed on. Meaning she isn't actively protecting the copyright on her works.

Then, Susan came back with a settlement in September. The settlement is very brief, but it says that an agreement has been reached in principle. Meaning that it hasn't actually been finalized.
An interesting quote: This settlement will resolve this matter in its entirety."

There was that a 45-day time limit set for Susan to come back to the court and request the case be dismissed because the settlement has been finalized, or request an extension of time because they are still working on it.
Susan has filed 2 such extensions, the last one actually occurring yesterday. So whatever Shout and Susan are working on, it's still being negotiated.

So it sounds like it's ongoing but things could be going in Shout's favor.

In other news, Paramount's deal with Olive Films supposedly ended this year so Fire Maidens from Outer Space, The Deadly Bees and The Space Children might be in play for a 2020 box set.

Someone also suggested that if Shout was unable to determine who owned the rights to Quest of the Delta Knights, they could try going to court and declare it an Orphan work.

Very strange to think that we might actually get the Susan Hart movies sooner rather than later, but I am cautiously optimistic that we could indeed see another MST box set next year. It'd be wild if at the end of the day the only episodes we're unable to get are the Godzillas and Rocket Ship X-M.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Joel still owns it and seems intent to try and shop it around.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Nevermind, can't read.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I've heard rumors that Netflix locks shows into contracts that somehow prevent them from going to other networks until 3 years after cancellation.

No idea how true that is or if MST3K had one of those.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
That three years no compete, unless it’s followed up with payment, is unenforceable in California.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, One Day At a Time was picked up by Pop after Netflix cancelled it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I've heard rumors that Netflix locks shows into contracts that somehow prevent them from going to other networks until 3 years after cancellation.

No idea how true that is or if MST3K had one of those.

People are assuming they actually got canceled some time last year and Joel has been using the tour as an opportunity to pad out the time to keep things in the public until the contract runs out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, One Day At a Time was picked up by Pop after Netflix cancelled it.

That was supposedly a weird work-around. CBS (which owns POP) apparently wanted One Day At A Time for CBS All Access because they don't have a flagship comedy original series for that service, but the Netflix contract says it can't be picked up by another OTT streaming service for 3 years, but not that an actual broadcast network can't take it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gaz-L posted:

That was supposedly a weird work-around. CBS (which owns POP) apparently wanted One Day At A Time for CBS All Access because they don't have a flagship comedy original series for that service, but the Netflix contract says it can't be picked up by another OTT streaming service for 3 years, but not that an actual broadcast network can't take it.
And that's how MST3k came back to terrestrial television!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if it would still be too expensive to come back to SyFy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if it would still be too expensive to come back to SyFy.

how the gently caress are three sets, five puppets, and maybe four regular cast members too expensive for broadcast television

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

how the gently caress are three sets, five puppets, and maybe four regular cast members too expensive for broadcast television

Movie licensing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The most likely destinations for MST3K are probably;

1) Disney+ or Hulu

2) Amazon Prime Video

3) VRV

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Movie licensing

Also SyFy is allergic to spending more money than they can find in the break room couch cushions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MST3K on Disney+ would be worth it if they did some of the various Disney Channel movies.

Halloween Town, let's loving do it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

MST3K on Disney+ would be worth it if they did some of the various Disney Channel movies.

Halloween Town, let's loving do it.

Or a bunch of their older theatrical live action films

VRV is also a fairly likely candidate since Shout Factory has a bunch of their stuff(including a lot of classic MST3K episodes) on there, wouldn't be surprised if they decide to make a proper channel on the service with a new season of MST3K as the front runner

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

What about MST4K?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

What about MST4K?

now we're talkin'

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't understand how you can cancel a show that was crowdfunded.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Because the crowdfunding only paid for the first season and Netflix is their distributor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Doesn't Rifftrax have its own VOD service now? Get the new show on that, crowdfund new seasons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

Doesn't Rifftrax have its own VOD service now? Get the new show on that, crowdfund new seasons.

Having the support of a major streaming service is definitely the kind of boon the show could use though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Having the support of a major streaming service is definitely the kind of boon the show could use though
Use in what sense? I guess it would help it live on and grow an audience, but it's not like the cow town puppet show needs to have 7% year over year growth. Indeed I wouldn't be shocked if that's part of why Netflix didn't continue it, it wasn't growing new subscribers.

So a major streaming service would mostly provide discoverabilities and potentially access to film rights, except I kind of doubt the latter is likely to happen because MST3k picks fun of things.