Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

This is cool and good. Very much so.

On a similar note, the Hugo’s will be a fuckjam this year when the Puppies inevitably throw up a slate of terfs off the back of this whole kerfuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The rules have been changed to make it much harder to introduce slates.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Who needs the pups for hugo drama when the wsfs is doing it their own drat selves : http://file770.com/the-meaning-of-it-all/

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Cardiac posted:

So raven Tower by Leckie was good.
Although she cheats a bit by applying a second person view on the main protagonist, thus avoiding having flesh out the protagonist.
Is her other work similar in style to this, even though it is sci-fi?

NK Jemisin's The Broken Earth series has certain viewpoints told in second person, if that's what you're looking for. The first book uses the different viewpoints in an interesting way, though the second and third do not (the second person viewpoint does continue on, however).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Xenix posted:

NK Jemisin's The Broken Earth series has certain viewpoints told in second person, if that's what you're looking for. The first book uses the different viewpoints in an interesting way, though the second and third do not (the second person viewpoint does continue on, however).

When I meant style, I didn’t mean the second person viewpoint but rather the story. Unless leckie for some reason writes everything in second person?
Jemisin, who i have read, is a good comparison to The raven tower, due to similarities in how they setup their stories.

Also, batuta, your description (on the physical book) of the Raven Tower saying it was a mix of Le Guin and Sanderson is perhaps not the best description.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I am super late to this discussion but just wanted to say that I finished the Craft Sequence omnibus by Max Gladstone and I thought it was pretty great beginning to end. Some people had said they thought it dwindled as it went on, but I thought the last novel was better than the first. Full Fathom got a little aimless in the middle, but I still liked it a lot. Highly recommended reading and the omnibus is an absurd value. So much quality there.

Cardiac posted:

When I meant style, I didn’t mean the second person viewpoint but rather the story. Unless leckie for some reason writes everything in second person?
Jemisin, who i have read, is a good comparison to The raven tower, due to similarities in how they setup their stories.

Also, batuta, your description (on the physical book) of the Raven Tower saying it was a mix of Le Guin and Sanderson is perhaps not the best description.

If you liked Raven Tower it is definitely worth checking out Ancillary Justice. Ancillary is similar and I enjoyed it quite a lot. It won a pile of awards and critical acclaim when it came out so it's a pretty safe buy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fritz posted:

Who needs the pups for hugo drama when the wsfs is doing it their own drat selves : http://file770.com/the-meaning-of-it-all/

I don't understand any of this but it makes "fandom" seem like a real no fun zone

well I made the mistake of going to Archive of Our Own and choosing a random story got me erotica about 11 year old girls from "Dance Moms" gonna nope outta there

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 21, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cardiac posted:

Yeah but it makes nerds want to buy it

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Yeah but it makes nerds want to buy it

I am guessing due to the Sanderson comparison and not Le Guin.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This will probably get an eye roll but I honestly think Robert Jordan writes *battle* scenes very well, with a veteran's eye. You believe his characters have seen real combat.

I have to agree with this. It was also one of the main reasons I dislike the Sanderson finals. He really doesn't (or didn't) write good battle scenes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

I don't understand any of this but it makes "fandom" seem like a real no fun zone

well I made the mistake of going to Archive of Our Own and choosing a random story got me erotica about 11 year old girls from "Dance Moms" gonna nope outta there

AO3 is a fanfic archive one of whose schticks was 'we have learned from our predecessors' mistakes'. They won a hugo last time round, which was nominally for the actual web site itself and the people running it (or something similar, w/ever). This of course led to the obvious joke where everybody who ever put a fic up there could call themselves a hugo winner, and for the people who are way too into 'organized fandom' this is unacceptable. (There's also the usual armchair lawyer people saying 'well of course they have to be jerks about it to protect their trademarks'.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

my bony fealty posted:

One of the good things about AO3 is that it doesn't do censorship.

One of the bad things about AO3 is that it doesn't do censorship.

e: By the way, since I've posted stuff there, be sure to address me as a hugo-award winning author, thanks. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's definitely YA, but pretty rad YA. Spaceships and ghosts and poo poo.

Second this, Dragon Pearl is good and I'm eagerly awaiting more.

e. The best fight scene ever was Death vs the Buddha in Lords of Light.

mewse
May 2, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

WTF Dance Moms 4: Sarah Divorces Howard is some of my best work

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cardiac posted:

I am guessing due to the Sanderson comparison and not Le Guin.

Fool!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

fritz posted:

Since the Hugos are democratically elected and nominated, it is a little weird that Worldcon is issuing an official ruling. When people voted for AO3 to win, what did they think they were voting for? The true form and meaning of the award only exist in the hearts of the individuals who vote and witness it, which is really a problem with democratic awards in general.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PST posted:

Gareth Powell (author of a bunch of stuff) had a brief exchange with Transphobic bigot Richard Morgan on twitter

I tweeted at him to essentially say 'wtf' and he stated he hadn't seen what Morgan had written yesterday

And this is what he then posted.

https://twitter.com/garethlpowell/status/1208156946664239110

Now I do have some mutuals with him, people I know who know him, or are going to be publishing something by him in the next year

But if you want to support authors who stand up, then buy something he wrote.

(Actually, some sort of 'these are good people to buy' list would be good in general)

This is good to hear. I like his work and I'm glad he's standing up for his kid.

And for anyone who hasn't read his stuff, if the statement "sentient starship named 'Trouble Dog'" doesn't grab you, nothing will.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Embers was decent, but nothing spectacular. Big Smart Object? Is the next one, Fleet of Knives, any better?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
you'd think a transhumanist SFF writer would be more of a trans-friendly humanist but it so rarely seems to work out that way :sigh:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Collateral posted:

Embers was decent, but nothing spectacular. Big Smart Object? Is the next one, Fleet of Knives, any better?

Same but not quite as good imo.

Also really disliked the one about the monkey fighter pilot but YMMV.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

branedotorg posted:

Also really disliked the one about the monkey fighter pilot but YMMV.
Yeah. The weird thing about that one is that it started its life as a pretty good short story but the novel version is just awful.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 23, 2019

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Hi all!! I haven't really followed fantasy ouside the more famous stuff these past few years but i was looking for recommendations on books/series. While i normally like smaller scale and/or weirdeir stuff i'm in the mood for something epic.
For context i really like the erikson malazan books but couldn't get into the esslemont ones.
I read the first law by abercrombie and the first bakker trilogy, and while entertaining, i found them lacking in some aspects. The stormlight archives were just dull and boring.
Fantasy books i recently read and liked were Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter, The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick and Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope
Mirrlees.
If someone got recommendations about fantasy from non-english speaking countries those are welcome as well.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are a couple of follow ups to Iron Dragon’ Daughter set in the same world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Hi all!! I haven't really followed fantasy ouside the more famous stuff these past few years but i was looking for recommendations on books/series. While i normally like smaller scale and/or weirdeir stuff i'm in the mood for something epic.
For context i really like the erikson malazan books but couldn't get into the esslemont ones.
I read the first law by abercrombie and the first bakker trilogy, and while entertaining, i found them lacking in some aspects. The stormlight archives were just dull and boring.
Fantasy books i recently read and liked were Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter, The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick and Lud-in-the-Mist, by Hope
Mirrlees.
If someone got recommendations about fantasy from non-english speaking countries those are welcome as well.

You've read China Mieville? If not, he's probably your next jam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Mirrlees.

Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars series is a massive dark fantasy series about medieval europe vs itself vs demons vs the church. Warning for rape/slavery/intense trauma in the first book - note that she does escape her rapist, but the sequence getting there is brutal.

Janny Wurts' To Ride Hell's Chasm is a rare 1-volume epic fantasy about a castle guard captain trying to find a missing princess; she has another series that is a bazillion books long and one volume away from being finished. It's about two princes landing in a fantasy world and they promptly get cursed to hate each other to the point of trying to kill each other. Naturally this leads to them hooking up with the local fantasy nations and basically creating civil war in the course of trying to kill each other.

Kameron Hurley's dropping the final book in her Mirror Empire trilogy about a world being invaded + parallel universes + multiple countries having politics

Michelle West/Sagara's main fantasy universe has a duology, a six book epic series of chonkers, and an eight book sequel/side-quel series of chonkers on top of that. It's the Essalieyan universe and is about demons and warfare and such. She also has a more urban fantasy-styled series called Elantra and it's about a cop in a fantasy world versus all kinds of magical disasters. Despite it being UF there's no romance, and the focus of the books has been more... basically sci-fi in tone as the heroine gets crash-courses in different cultures/species. Solving a murder for cat people versus stopping a crazy magic zone out of control in a dragon empire are very different plots, after all.

Brian Stableford's Genesys trilogy is one of the weirdest things I've ever read, as it's set on a planet where everything rots quickly, and the humans who colonized it bio-engineered themselves so their teeth wouldn't rot and such. But their original tech did rot, so it's... medieval fantasy, but with science stuff to keep things fresh. The first book starts slow but then you hit the ant alien colonies and things go straight to weird.

CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy is about another colony world humans colonized, but this time things went radically wrong because the world itself reacts to human thoughts and dreams. Think up a demon and it's real. Get enough people to believe in a God, and poof, there he is. The main plot is about a sorceress getting kidnapped by demon-things and a priest-sorcerer going on an epic quest to rescue her...but things get sidetracked quickly because there's also a damned vampire lord who's going to tag along, and the church ain't happy about anything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Long shot, but does anyone remember an urban fantasy novel that had Samson from the bible show up in it? I think he was leading a biker gang called Sons of Samson or something like that.

I thought it might be the nightside series, or even the drood series, but nope.

It's definitely an ebook, and was something I've read in the last 10 years or so. More than likely part of a series. I don't think they were the main characters or anything, just like, cameo appearances... but I can't be 100% sure.

Friend got it, was the Remy Chandler series, he showed up in a book somewhere in it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 23, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't understand what he thinks Materialism had to do with this but I know he's invoking it incorrectly

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Mirrlees.

Check out Black Leopard, Red Wolf its basically set in fantasy africa and its a pretty refreshing take on fantasy no elf or orc poo poo. Its also queer as gently caress, that being said there is a lot of nasty poo poo in the book and its really grimdark if thats not your thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

love 2 compare queer and trans identity to literal animals

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Coming in from Malazan and with those tastes ? You want Glen Cook. Either the Black Company series or Dread Empire should fit your bill. Both of them have epic scale events going on, but your perspective is that of a single person on the ground caught up in some major poo poo. Dread Empire rotates POV characters within novels, Black Company has one POV per book styled as whoever is keeping the annals for the company at the time. Black Company follows a storied mercenary company in and out of service to the lesser evil, and then in pursuit of its own founding myths. Dread Empire is Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser get caught up in events way over their heads (par for the course for them) and oh yes, Fafhrd becomes a king and has to actually do the job for real.

Black Company, first three books omnibus edition:
https://smile.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Book-ebook/dp/B009WUG56M/ref=sr_1_1

Dread Empire starting point.This is the prequel duology. It's the start of all the main character's stories and tells the story of some seriously pivotal events for the main trilogy (which is collected in A Cruel Wind, read that next). This is my recommended starting point, for publishing order start with A Cruel Wind
https://smile.amazon.com/Fortress-Shadow-Dread-Empire-ebook/dp/B07H47XK68/ref=pd_sim_351_1/142-8429177-2327838

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

StrixNebulosa posted:

<book recommendations>

I've read the Coldfire trilogy and some of Michelle Sagara West's older novels (Darklands were the first ebooks I got on a kindle, I got the 6 book series chonker paperbacks back in the day because of the cover art, and more recently read her Queen of the Dead trilogy). I'll have to check out the other stuff you listed. I could have sworn I read a trilogy by Kate Elliott with three books titled something like "The Sword", "The Crown" and "The Scepter". They aren't in her Wikipedia bibliography though. I'll have to check the shelf at my parents' house next time I go by to see who that was. My memory is terrible and I read about every fantasy series my Waldenbooks or B Dalton stocked back then.

edit: The Sword, The Ring, and The Chalice by Deborah Chester. Memory is a weird thing.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 23, 2019

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks all for the recommendations!!!

What's your opinion on them? Although the world was interesting, and with hints of various things happening in the background, i thought the book had a satisfying conclusion and didn't feel the need for a sequel or expansion.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You've read China Mieville? If not, he's probably your next jam.

I've been meaning to follow Mieville more closely for some time, mainly for the outspoken politics, but only read kraken, which i enjoyed. I think i have a copy of the scar, is that a good followup?

wow so many new things to search!! My potential reading list for the new year will include a lot more fantasy than anticipated!!´

I was gifted this as an early christmas present. The premise makes it seem just what i'm looking for.

I always heard good things about black company and a translation of the first volume was recently released in my country, but the omnibus edition sounds tempting. Never heard of Dread Empire but will check it out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bagrada posted:

I've read the Coldfire trilogy and some of Michelle Sagara West's older novels (Darklands were the first ebooks I got on a kindle, I got the 6 book series chonker paperbacks back in the day because of the cover art, and more recently read her Queen of the Dead trilogy). I'll have to check out the other stuff you listed. I could have sworn I read a trilogy by Kate Elliott with three books titled something like "The Sword", "The Crown" and "The Scepter". They aren't in her Wikipedia bibliography though. I'll have to check the shelf at my parents' house next time I go by to see who that was. My memory is terrible and I read about every fantasy series my Waldenbooks or B Dalton stocked back then.

edit: The Sword, The Ring, and The Chalice by Deborah Chester. Memory is a weird thing.

If you liked Coldfire you should also check out her Magister trilogy, which is textually unrelated but kind of a sequel thematically.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To get on my soapbox for a mo - once I started looking there is so much good genre fiction written by women, and when I look in reclists on reddit or elsewhere they almost never come up, nevermind that they've been around for the same amount of time and are as good as the dude-written stuff or better. And that ticks me off!

Okay thank you, I needed to get that off my chest.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In 2018 I set a rule that I'd only read SFF by women and holy poo poo, do it, it was an awesome year where I discovered a ton of awesome and underappreciated writers.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

Black Company has one POV per book styled as whoever is keeping the annals for the company at the time.

Mostly; there's at least one book which switches annalists partway through (and briefly to someone who is hilariously borderline illiterate). And then there's that one book where the POV has got some kind of unstuck-in-space-and-time thing going on.

Also (although it's been ages since I read them) many of the books share one particular guy's POV.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sigh

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I'm sold.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StrixNebulosa posted:

To get on my soapbox for a mo - once I started looking there is so much good genre fiction written by women, and when I look in reclists on reddit or elsewhere they almost never come up, nevermind that they've been around for the same amount of time and are as good as the dude-written stuff or better. And that ticks me off!

Okay thank you, I needed to get that off my chest.

Found the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

In 2018 I set a rule that I'd only read SFF by women and holy poo poo, do it, it was an awesome year where I discovered a ton of awesome and underappreciated writers.

I just found it easier to not give a poo poo about the gender of the author.
Why limit yourself?