Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

aardwolf posted:

Roland straight up slaughters every man, woman and child in Tull - and then quite deliberately allows the new kid he adopted to drop to his death rather than be delayed in pursuit of vengeance. The conflict in the book is a moral one between Roland's character and the reader's.

Also I'll have a Big Mac and fries, please.

Well I mean, if the men, women and children are trying to kill you...what are you supposed to do, not kill them all?

and it's hard to judge him too harshly for the jake thing. I mean, he came back, right? And he was just some kid he found in the middle of the desert who over-shared about his shits after meeting a stranger. Then he let himself get mindfucked by the oracle succubus thing without taking drugs beforehand, like an idiot. If you think about it, maybe he deserved it. It was definitely a more deserving death than the one that stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

spit on my clit posted:

Is that why Goldmember was so bad?

Could be. I've never seen it and at 35 I'm probably well past the age where I'd find it funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its weird how much better Goldeneye is than ever single other Bond film all of which manage to be too dry, slow and serious.

The later Brosnan films go too far in the goofier/faster direction, at least as far as I remember. I basically blocked Die Another Day from my memory.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The later Brosnan films go too far in the goofier/faster direction, at least as far as I remember. I basically blocked Die Another Day from my memory.

Die Another Day was loving awful.

I remember reading some article written by the guy who made it, and he was like "The point of Bond movies is the gadgets. It's so hard to come up with good gadgets. People used to be impressed by making a gun out of a cigarette case but now you need to go bigger and bigger and fancier and fancier". And that's how you end up with a bullshit ice palace exploding solar beam scene crowning a terrible plot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Regardless of one's opinions on musicals in general, I think we can all agree that there has been exactly one good musical episode of television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Q7rCtDow0

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All of Galavant. :colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

McNuggets were superior when they were made from pink slime instead of breast meat

Breast meat is highly overrated flavorless blech

As is all white meat from the turkey

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of the only things I hate more than Israel is screeching MAGA types who are WASP as they come flying israeli flags

oy ir narishe zionistn

oyyyyyy

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Well I mean, if the men, women and children are trying to kill you...what are you supposed to do, not kill them all?

It's quite conclusively shown that Roland is an incredible shot. Do you honestly believe he couldn't have gone for disabling wounds on the kiddies? Why did he need to kill them? What was he afraid of? Was that prepubescent child who gave him directions to the "cafe" at Sheb's gonna bleed on him?

The whole point of that scene is that The Gunslinger is a horrific emotionless robot who very quickly defaults to the only one solution to a problem he knows / understands / trusts and I don't think you are supposed to be sympathizing with him at this point in the narrative :ohdear:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

aardwolf posted:

It's quite conclusively shown that Roland is an incredible shot. Do you honestly believe he couldn't have gone for disabling wounds on the kiddies? Why did he need to kill them? What was he afraid of? Was that prepubescent child who gave him directions to the "cafe" at Sheb's gonna bleed on him?

The whole point of that scene is that The Gunslinger is a horrific emotionless robot who very quickly defaults to the only one solution to a problem he knows / understands / trusts and I don't think you are supposed to be sympathizing with him at this point in the narrative :ohdear:

Those guns are magical implements, made from the sword of Arthur Eld, and they are made to kill. It is literally impossible to shoot to wound with them.

*also, I do not agree with you, the appropriate response to someone trying to kill you is to respond in kind, the Gunslinger did nothing wrong, and it all happened under a spell anyway

doverhog has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Dec 23, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of the only things I hate more than Israel is screeching MAGA types who are WASP as they come flying israeli flags

oy ir narishe zionistn

oyyyyyy

tbf they are only friends of Israel because they need a Jewish temple in Jerusalem to complete their Apocalypse bingo card.

People who need a biblical apocalypse (during their own lifetime, natch) to justify their religious views are the worst. No real faith hafta have flaming horses come screaming out of the sky before they release their claws from the levers of power.

Fortunately no one in charge believes in this they just have to kowtow to it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

How do you feel about Christmas? This year I'm gonna be working the whole time, getting those fat xmas reparations. Other years tho, it was nice to eat a lot of ham etc. with the family.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Goldfinger is not as good a movie as either of the films that came before it. From Russia with Love is a classic spy movie, and Dr. No, while less of a spy movie than a thriller, is also a superior film. I don't exactly dislike Goldfinger; it has a lot of the classic moments everyone remembers. But Bond spends most of the movie getting his rear end handed to him and I prefer the earlier Connery films.

I can't imagine a life where I remember things about individual James Bond movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aardwolf posted:

Disabling wounds... in a place that without actual medical knowledge? That would just be a crueler, slower death anyway.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can't imagine a life where I remember things about individual James Bond movies.

Fair. Once you've seen one of the movies, you've pretty much seen them all.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

doverhog posted:

How do you feel about Christmas? This year I'm gonna be working the whole time, getting those fat xmas reparations. Other years tho, it was nice to eat a lot of ham etc. with the family.

Its nice to have a couple of weeks off

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Disabling wounds... in a place that without actual medical knowledge? That would just be a crueler, slower death anyway.

While I get that the "doctors" from the Little Sisters of Eluria aren't common, that story proves the world has the concept of practical and effective medicine. Roland has presumably been trained on how to properly treat bullet wounds as that's a gunslinger's biggest occupational hazard. Cauterizing wounds with gunpowder and disinfecting them with whisky are old cowboy tropes that Not-Clint-Eastwood would probably know.

... and I've just spent way to much time thinking about medicine in a fictional world I first encountered when I was ten.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

doverhog posted:

Hate. Xmas music gets under my skin, people insist you have to be insanely cheery, and the focus on family just reminds me that I can't be with them/am estranged from quite a few due to my identity and orientation. I'm not going to get into the capitalistic frenzy, and how lovely it feels when you can't get gifts for everyone, especially when they got you one. It feels like the whole holiday is predicated on the pain of the lower class. I did a stint at 5 Below once, and holy hell, are people evil and entitled during this season. My current job isn't so bad, but holy hell.

I sincerely wish Christmas didn't exist at times, and feel nothing but stress and anxiety when the holiday rolls around.

If you guys like it, that's fine, I wish you a good season. Just remember the little guy, and if some poor sod doesn't seem pleased to be working on a holiday, please have some goddamned restraint and perhaps kindness. Isn't that what the season is sold as being about? :v:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm sorry you've had a bad time with it. :(

For a long time I only saw my mother and brother around Christmas. Everyone has moved around since then so that we live closer now and see them around more regularly, but the holiday still has a special place in my heart.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Xmas owns. You only have to hear Xmas music for a few more days, and if it bothers you I'm sorry, also lol.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to it as CHRISTmas and yes it owns

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

cars should have speed limiters so you can't drive them over 65 miles an hour

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

cars should have speed limiters so you can't drive them over 65 miles an hour

How would you safely pass someone?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Monkey posted:

...you don't?

I've never understood why people feel they have to speed and overtake in order to change lanes. You can slow down and slot in behind them!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

"But if tenants have rights, how do I evict them on a whim?"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Monkey posted:

I was reading that post in a taxi and looking at the speedometer of a Chevrolet. The speedometer went to 140 mph. I remember asking my dad Dad why does that go so high?

And he told me: Hi son I just want to die

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Xmas owns. You only have to hear Xmas music for a few more days, and if it bothers you I'm sorry, also lol.

If you've worked retail and/or restaurants Christmas music gets aggravating really quickly. It starts in like September and doesn't end until January. It's the same like eight songs over and over again many of which are a minute long. In a pathetic attempt to spice things up every pop star ever makes their own even cheerier version, puts some stupid gimmick on it, or drags it out to four minutes in the worst way possible. The end result is that you have to hear the songs so many times you're guaranteed to get sick of them but you have to listen to horrible versions that are significantly more annoying.

Then you get to deal with people that are hideously entitled and trying to outdo each other instead of actually celebrating a holiday. People will act like you personally are deliberately trying to ruin their Christmas if the store you work for runs out of something. It's like yeah I'd gladly sell you that thing if we had any but we are out of that thing so I cannot. My job is to sell you things. That's what I get paid to do so yes I'll sell you a thing if I can. But I can't. It is impossible for me to sell you that thing as I do not have any of that thing. Go ahead, complain to management and try to get me fired. You'll get the same answer. We're out. We don't have any. We can't miracle it into existence.

The worst is people just don't want to know about it when they hear about people are are going to have a lovely Christmas. Like hey yeah guess what some people are poor as hell and can't afford to have a good Christmas. Instead of telling them to go away and not talking about how about you get into the spirit of the season and share your great Christmas with them? gently caress, they'd probably appreciated it if you just gave them $50 for a better Christmas dinner. Oh, you put a $3 knock off action figure in Toys for Tots? gently caress you. If that's the only effort you can manage to do then don't act like you're some kind of drat saint.

What are my Christmas plans? I'm spending the day with a bottle of cheap whiskey and drinking myself stupid because I'm poor as hell, I'm estranged from my family, and I have nowhere to go. Oh, I just ruined your Christmas by reminding you that the world isn't a perfect, wonderful place? Go to hell. How do you think watching the rest of the world feels when the only thing you have to look forward to is drinking alone? Bah loving humbug. I despise the holiday.

Why yes I did quit celebrating Christmas many years ago, why do you ask?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m sure as poo poo glad goons don’t write traffic laws.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lol I just googled it and 65 miles per hour IS (slightly above) the top legal speed. Somehow we still manage to drive around and even overtake other cars! Amazing!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Without the use of speed regulators on cars or slowing down to slot in (this is far more dangerous than passing left and maintaining speed btw) on a highway full of people going the max speed. Hmmm. Interesting

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m sure as poo poo glad goons don’t write traffic laws.

As a goon, right on red should be allowed everywhere.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

Even in the UK imo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you've worked retail and/or restaurants Christmas music gets aggravating really quickly. It starts in like September and doesn't end until January. It's the same like eight songs over and over again many of which are a minute long. In a pathetic attempt to spice things up every pop star ever makes their own even cheerier version, puts some stupid gimmick on it, or drags it out to four minutes in the worst way possible. The end result is that you have to hear the songs so many times you're guaranteed to get sick of them but you have to listen to horrible versions that are significantly more annoying.

Music in public should be treated like a worker's rights violation and banned

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

In Québec and Louisiana they drive just fine without it. I can’t believe the lunatic unsafe rules you people follow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Music in public should be treated like a worker's rights violation and banned

Especially if you're freestyle rapping to your own beats on the subway at 8am on a Tuesday. People are hungover and grumpy, hearing you force a rhyme between "gun" and "love" is loving annoying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In Québec and Louisiana they drive just fine without it. I can’t believe the lunatic unsafe rules you people follow.

Quebec has right on red everywhere except the island of Montreal.

Maybe Laval too but who the gently caress would ever go to Laval?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Especially if you're freestyle rapping to your own beats on the subway at 8am on a Tuesday. People are hungover and grumpy, hearing you force a rhyme between "gun" and "love" is loving annoying.

Yeah if it's like Hamilton style rap where they just use the same coda to rhyme a whole stanza which is 90% of freestyle rap

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood made tedious kitsch, Gustav Klimt is also just a craftsman and not an artist

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.tramontanalaw.com/louisiana-drivers-rank-among-worst-in-us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lol I just googled it and 65 miles per hour IS (slightly above) the top legal speed. Somehow we still manage to drive around and even overtake other cars! Amazing!

What are you talking about? There are lots of roads with speed limits above 65. I was just legally driving 80mph. You have bad opinions and are objectively wrong.