Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rosalind posted:

In NYC you can experience:

-A man on the subway screaming in people's faces about how they're going to hell for not accepting Jesus

-People in every crowded pedestrian area (Times Square, Union Square, etc.) holding bible verses and yelling about Jesus

-Jehovah's Witnesses at nearly every subway entrance trying to get you to accept a pamphlet

-Rabbis on busy street corners asking every single white man walking by if they're Jewish

-(fake?) Aggressive Buddhist monks handing out "prayer beads" in exchange for mandatory "donations"

-A Jewish Eruv attached to public utility poles and park fences

-Air horns in Jewish neighborhoods that signal the start of the sabbath

-The Muslim call to prayer in a few Muslim neighborhoods

And yet conservatives only seem to care about one of these. I wonder why.

I haven't been to NYC in a while, do the Scientologists still set up their "personality test" table in the Times Square subway station?

And I definitely remember a street preacher with a platform/loudspeaker combo somewhere between Times Square and Penn Station when I was trying to get home on 9/11 and the subways were only partially running. No idea if that was a regular fixture or he brought them out special since the streets were pretty empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Edge & Christian posted:

I live like ten blocks from where this video was shot and that side of the block is literally, door to door:

2) A crappy movie theater

These is fighting words...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Jehovah's Witnesses typically park in Newark Penn across the water. I watched someone in a full veil creep them out once by going "No but can I interest you in the word of Allah?"

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

DeathChicken posted:

The Jehovah's Witnesses typically park in Newark Penn across the water. I watched someone in a full veil creep them out once by going "No but can I interest you in the word of Allah?"

I really dig their move to poster and panphlet stands. Outside of city hall, blocks from the WTC they have had some great posters like "Are you ready for the next disaster?" As if it is gonna be a government PSA.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Jehovahs witness were everywhere when I was in NYC this past weekend. I couldn’t even escape them in Chinatown they had recruited mandarin speakers.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TVs Ian posted:

I haven't been to NYC in a while, do the Scientologists still set up their "personality test" table in the Times Square subway station?

And I definitely remember a street preacher with a platform/loudspeaker combo somewhere between Times Square and Penn Station when I was trying to get home on 9/11 and the subways were only partially running. No idea if that was a regular fixture or he brought them out special since the streets were pretty empty.

The preachers love to hang out (portable PA cranked up to 11 and all) in that long walkway tunnel between the 8th ave and 7th ave sides of the Times Square subway station.

And if it’s not Scientologists on the 8th ave end it’s the Hare Krishnas handing out Bhagavad Gitas.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This wouldn't be a surprising thing for Trump to say, but I'm a little concerned that Trump's handlers have all lost their loving minds by this point and are spouting ZOG conspiracies lifted from Stormfront.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

osker posted:

These is fighting words...
Don't get me wrong, I'm headed over there for a matinee in a little while, but one of the screens has had a big splatter from where someone threw a soda since whenever Prometheus came out. The last time I saw a movie there they fast forwarded through the trailers at 32x because they started late. There is a reason Mr. Robot filmed all of its 1980s flashback movie theater things there, because that was the last time they remodeled.

I am very glad Alpine Cinema is in my neighborhood, but it is not a high end theater.

To keep this Trump/USPOL related here is the "Trump Voters? In Brooklyn??" Vice piece.

The Salty Dog bar from the video is a Firefighter bar that shifted its clientele focus to cops after one too many drunken FDNY brawls.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 24, 2019

Jows
May 8, 2002

T. Bombastus posted:

I live in a neighborhood that is technically on the south side of Chicago (in that it is geographically south of downtown). In the four years I've lived here, I've never been the victim of crime, and have only very rarely felt less than totally safe.

Regardless, every time I talk to my grandma, she informs me that I'm desperately unsafe and need to relocate asap. It's honestly hosed up how divorced from reality these people have become.
haha I didn't think twice about "nearly mugged" before but now I really wanna know

South Loop, Bridgeport, Beverly, or Hyde Park?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
What up USPOL, I made a holiday kvetch zone thread in GBS for your “please make this all over” needs. Vent about lovely chud relatives, capitalism sucking life out of holidays, and Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey here.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Robot dick thread in case that issue comes up again and there's a derail. I haven't kept up with it as much since my daughter was born last week but there's obviously a lot going on right now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900149

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What I find especially amusing and hypocritical about them whining about the call to prayer is that the evangelical preacher assaulting people with a megaphone, screaming in their ears at a literally painful volume about how they are sinners and fornicators, is a prominent fixture of moderate sized southern cities. To the point that everyone knows their name "Oh dammit, Preacher Jahn is back again? gently caress."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus this is the season where every time you step into a store there's a good chance they're playing songs about Jesus over the PA.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
celebrate the birth of are lord and savior jesus christ by saving $5500 off the msrp of a honda accord for returning customers

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
In some Pakistani cities you get a competition between the various mosques about whose loudest- like who has the biggest speakers. It’s really annoying.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did we ever figure out what the hell the Space Force is supposed to do? I found an editorial extolling the virtues of militarizing space, and I'm still real confused.

quote:

The United States Space Force will ensure that no unfriendly power can impede these activities through military attack. The new service branch will have to be so strong and capable that no other country would think of trying to bring fire and destruction to American and allied space infrastructure.

The United States Space Force, as an operational service branch, could take on two other related missions.

The Space Force could start the process of cleaning up orbiting space debris. Decades of dead satellites and other junk have created a ring around our planet that is increasingly becoming a hazard to space navigation. Even the International Space Station must, from time to time, alter its orbit a little to avoid being hit by space junk.

The Space Force can also defend the planet from a threat that does not come from any human agency, but nature. The prospect of an asteroid or comet hitting the Earth with such devastating effect that it ends human civilization or even life itself is very real.

If the Space Force can put assets in place to prevent an Earth-approaching object from ending the human species, it will have justified any effort and expense to create and maintain it.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread, apologies.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 24, 2019

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Trivia posted:

Unless it's Ramadan and they play the call to prayer at 4am and wake all the dogs. That you definitely notice.

ٱلصَّلَاةُ خَيْرٌ مِنَ ٱلنَّوْمِ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did we ever figure out what the hell the Space Force is supposed to do? I found an editorial extolling the virtues of militarizing space, and I'm still real confused.

The same things it's been doing for years, since we already have space forces. They've just never gone by that name before or had this specific organization.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Craig K posted:

celebrate the birth of are lord and savior jesus christ by saving $5500 off the msrp of a honda accord for returning customers

Keep Honda in Happy Honda days

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It’s supposed to shovel more money into defense contractors gaping maws.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm here for the argument that existential threats to humanity are a very real danger warranting the creation of a new military branch, and ANY EXPENSE is justified toward that goal

But climate change is just a consipracy by greedy Chinese scientists

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The space force is basically taking all the space operations performed by the Air Force and putting them into a separate branch with a stupid name and making them less efficient.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Jows posted:

South Loop, Bridgeport, Beverly, or Hyde Park?
Haha yeah Bridgeport. I don't own a car, which probably cuts down on my chances of being crimed.

They've convinced a whole demographic that the city is a war zone, and my lived experience is meaningless in the face of their scaremongering. Even my dad is clearly hesitant to leave the Loop when he comes to visit, and he's someone who prides himself on "listening to both sides" (then voting for the Republicans every time).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1209496197070807042

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1207802600063668233

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Resume padding so that Turnip can point to some sort of "accomplishment" being done while in office.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

It'll be incel poo poo and freaking out about "forced diversity" in video games and comic book movies. Gamergate will the the new War on Christmas. Steve Bannon is probably the one old, rich guy who figured that out, and he got too full of himself and alienated from the greater part of the right wing. Most old white assholes have a contempt for video games that prevents them from seeing a potential market.

Oh man the easy thread between Gamergate and the kind of talking points the alt-right love to use is a perfect feeding tool for getting a certain kind of younger male to vote Republican in coming elections who otherwise probably wouldn't vote at all cause they just plain don't care about anything beyond their personal entertainment sphere. I had assumed they were already toying around with it seeing as gamers online since about 2014 can no longer STFU about the "forced diversity" and gender roles thing you talk about and are increasingly coming across like a gaggle of chauvinistic weird sex perverts in their contributions to the likes of Twitch and various other gaming hubs.

It's like this mass paranoia event almost if you visit places like Gamefaqs or corners of Reddit where they are convinced and want to convince you that some formless "SJW" conspiracy with apparently tremendous influence is waiting right around the corner to take away all your favorite video games, "ruin" your favorite female characters (by I guess depicting them as something beyond a sexual object of desire. Google "Tifa Lockhart" and "Censorship" if you want to go down the rabbit hole of paranoia and I guess concern trolling as an example from this year alone) and that some low level developers/political activists like Anita Sarkeesian are the shadowy George Soros figure just waiting to pull the trigger unless everyone.....I guess.....keeps shitposting and raising awareness about it. They've never been quite clear on what exactly the counterpoint to this apparent imminent (for the last 5 years no less) implosion and transformation of gaming by the "SJWs" is supposed to be, but they'll drat well tell you about it at length and throw random hissy fits.

I don't think that was ever the point though obviously. I've kind of come to assume a decent chunk of the white noise that always surrounds video game "controversies" just is political operatives forcing it as a wedge issue for future exploitation as it just seems to deliberate, targeted in talking points, and omni-present within various gaming hubs to just be the general gamer public drumming this poo poo up for every major release or turn of the video game industry. Ditto all the poo poo like with Captain Marvel, Star Wars etc. but there you literally saw the likes of Donald Trump Jr. jumping in to try to fan the flames as if I'm supposed to believe DTJ gives solitary loving poo poo about the whole MCU thing. The right recognizes it as a tool for spreading memes like "Trump is Thanos, watch out Libs", but they don't give a poo poo about it beyond shaping cheap short term political sentiment goals that I can promise.

Anyway I wouldn't count out the GOP and it's propaganda machine on this one just because they're old and white and most of them have never touched a video game in their life. They could easily outsource it to some Conservative think tank group or a Cambridge Analytica type outfit to find ways to exploit weird poo poo incel gamer types.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Since the space force is a trump thing, it’s a safe bet to imagine the worst possible thing it could be doing, and that’ll be it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Deptfordx posted:

Just read wiki. Lol

You guys should do that with Trump.

Someone's got to get in there and push him without being killed/permanently disabled by the sight of his naked body.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"I never said that, I never did that, i'm innocent, i've never done anything wrong in my life. Any further questions?"
*in unison* "No, sir!"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Since the space force is a trump thing, it’s a safe bet to imagine the worst possible thing it could be doing, and that’ll be it.

America is setting up rods from God as a backup plan for when unilateral nuclear disarmament finally becomes impossible to put off with the impending absolute necessity of transitioning to nuclear energy for the 21st century energy needs.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shifty Pony posted:

What I find especially amusing and hypocritical about them whining about the call to prayer is that the evangelical preacher assaulting people with a megaphone, screaming in their ears at a literally painful volume about how they are sinners and fornicators, is a prominent fixture of moderate sized southern cities. To the point that everyone knows their name "Oh dammit, Preacher Jahn is back again? gently caress."

Yeah, I find there's a lot of difference between a call to prayer and pastor Bob out shouting at everyone through a megaphone about how they're all filthy wastes going to hell and ruining everyone's day.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

T. Bombastus posted:

Haha yeah Bridgeport. I don't own a car, which probably cuts down on my chances of being crimed.

They've convinced a whole demographic that the city is a war zone, and my lived experience is meaningless in the face of their scaremongering. Even my dad is clearly hesitant to leave the Loop when he comes to visit, and he's someone who prides himself on "listening to both sides" (then voting for the Republicans every time).

I have bad news for you. "Listening to both sides" is a popular cover among republicans to look like they're reasonable people when really any dissenting opinion is just background noise

You know if this had been Obama there'd be right wingers storming the gates repeatedly to lynch him from the White House porch

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

it's just a bureaucratic reorganization which has had some momentum behind it for years. it doesn't create anything new, it just takes a chunk of responsibilities from the air force and moves it into its own military command structure. this is kind of a good idea because as military space stuff becomes more important (think: spy satellites, tracking satellites, tracking objects in space, managing space resources like the GPS system and military weather sats) then all the space responsibilities should probably be in its own independent branch rather than as an ever larger sub-responsibility of the air force. where all this stuff used to fall under space command, a branch of the air force, the space force now exists as its own thing adjacent to the air force, and air force and space force are lumped together.it is all extraordinarily boring organizational and policy setting blah blah blah

trump just stamped his name all over it, like he does everything, and is trying to make it like he invented the idea of going to space because he desperately needs a win and because public awareness about the military's role with space is so low, it can easily be puffed up to be like trump is militarizing space and this is a good thing somehow

really the only thing different now is that the folks sitting around at NORAD have different uniforms

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 24, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

UnknownTarget posted:

The space force is basically taking all the space operations performed by the Air Force and putting them into a separate branch with a stupid name and making them less efficient.

And so Trump can say that he started a new branch despite the fact nobody in AFSC (Air Force Space Command) wants it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The President has been very clear,"

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, I find there's a lot of difference between a call to prayer and pastor Bob out shouting at everyone through a megaphone about how they're all filthy wastes going to hell and ruining everyone's day.

Weird question, but where was your Pastor Bob? Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) had one who would shout at folk every day from the lawn in front of the student union two decades ago. This is the kind of thing I imagine drat near every public university has.

Like a loving twitter troll in the flesh, daring non-believers to step up and DeBaTe HiM or whatever. Most obnoxious thing I ever saw in my life.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

xov posted:

Weird question, but where was your Pastor Bob? Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) had one who would shout at folk every day from the lawn in front of the student union two decades ago. This is the kind of thing I imagine drat near every public university has.

Like a loving twitter troll in the flesh, daring non-believers to step up and DeBaTe HiM or whatever. Most obnoxious thing I ever saw in my life.

I was told those people were looking for an excuse to sue the college, but the ones at my college usually were dumb and blocked doorways or something they gave them an excuse to be removed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fun space fact: An American spy satellite costs more than a nuclear submarine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

xov posted:

My understanding is that the better-behaved and organized of these people are paid a salary to do this by some church; I dug a bit into the backing of the guy who does it at Penn State but it's been too long since I did it to remember.