Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

It's astounding.

The trailer gave me a bit of tonal whiplash, and while I like the idea of what the movie is trying to do and say (at least from the trailer) I am worried that it will do the same thing. I am happy to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

"Eh, that's OK, but can you rework the layout and make it look like you ran it through a bad filter?"

"Perfect."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It looks like the cover of a terrible indie biographical comic book.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Jedit posted:

It's astounding.

Time is fleeting...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Darthemed posted:

"Eh, that's OK, but can you rework the layout and make it look like you ran it through a bad filter?"

"Perfect."

That tagline.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Darthemed posted:

"Perfect."

Hawke looks like he's just been shown the posters, he goes from disgusted to devastated.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If all they had was generic floating heads, I do think that's more attention grabbing.

edit: I wonder why the drawer-over-er put that big shadow on his forehead. It wasn't there in the photo, and it's way too big and straight to be cast from his hair.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 24, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

That tagline.

Looks like they meant to say "needs to stop drinking."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ccubed posted:

Time is fleeting...

Madness takes its toll

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: I wonder why the drawer-over-er put that big shadow on his forehead. It wasn't there in the photo, and it's way too big and straight to be cast from his hair.

I’d guess he had a baseball cap for a while.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Shoes on the couch :argh:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just noticed that they put Washington Crossing the Delaware in the background in case you somehow didn't know what was being referenced.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 24, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, a biography of Pete Buttigieg.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Desperado Bones posted:

*Looks at all the other countries that are not the United states of america with millions of people who don't give a crap about patriotic american paintings*

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I hope you didn't hurt yourself.
She just looked at a map, man. No need for this 360 head turning business.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Desperado Bones posted:

*Looks at all the other countries that are not the United states of america with millions of people who don't give a crap about patriotic american paintings*

Imagine being this proud of your ignorance

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Is he eating popcorn waiting for the moment when she launches into the ceiling fan?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Desperado Bones posted:

I am about as American as a velsmurður harðfiskur:
Everyone knows Washington Crossing the Delaware through osmosis. Mostly from seeing it repeatedly refrenced in pop culture for decades.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Disney+ isn’t in those countries.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not French but I'd recognize Liberty Leading the People.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 24, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Anyways, as penance for derailing this thread here have some Holiday posters. And please, don't reply to my last two dumb posts, I'm deleting them after posting this.

My apologies to the mods for the double posting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is this

Never heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5e4mmScmdQ

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have no clue, I found that poster randomly and just loved the old art deco/80's action movie style it has.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Lobok posted:

What is this

Never heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5e4mmScmdQ

It's a wild, wild movie. It was produced by the Salkinds in an attempt to recreate the success of Superman.

Has an amazing sequence in which Santa finds out homeless people exist and more or less says that wouldn't happen to them if they had believed in Santa Claus.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Almost Blue posted:

It's a wild, wild movie. It was produced by the Salkinds in an attempt to recreate the success of Superman.

Oh, right! It features that unforgettable sequence when dawn breaks and Santa realizes he's run out of time to deliver presents so he screams in rage and despair before getting in his sleigh and flying around the Earth so fast that everything reverses back to the middle of the night.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
It's a really boring and low energy movie despite having some obvious production values, the only real bright spot is John Lithgow hamming it up as an evil 80s businessman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7GggoTqZJ8

Also as a kid I was terrified of the ending, where he overdoses on magic flying reindeer dust and is sent helplessly flying up into outer space.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sleeveless posted:

Also as a kid I was terrified of the ending, where he overdoses on magic flying reindeer dust and is sent helplessly flying up into outer space.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Salkinds chose that director because he had just finished Supergirl for them and everyone was convinced it was going to be a huge blockbuster.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

It's a really boring and low energy movie despite having some obvious production values, the only real bright spot is John Lithgow hamming it up as an evil 80s businessman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7GggoTqZJ8

How could you post that and not post this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBv1Ihwhc2M

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Salkinds chose that director because he had just finished Supergirl for them and everyone was convinced it was going to be a huge blockbuster.

After John Carpenter turned it down because he wanted complete creative control over it.

quote:

John Carpenter was originally offered the chance to direct, but also wanted a say in the writing, musical score and final cut of the film. Carpenter's original choice for the role of Santa was Brian Dennehy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Of course he wanted to do the score because why would you ever deny John loving Carpenter from doing the score to his film?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

After John Carpenter turned it down because he wanted complete creative control over it.

Goddamn this sounds amazing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You just know there's an alternate timeline where parents are befuddled every holiday season when family comes over and their nerdy son takes over the music and is like "god, am I the only one in the house who appreciates how much synthwave owes to Carpenter's Santa Claus score?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

why would you ever deny John loving Carpenter from doing the score to his film?

Because you already have Ennio Morricone.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Almost Blue posted:

Has an amazing sequence in which Santa finds out homeless people exist and more or less says that wouldn't happen to them if they had believed in Santa Claus.

Not even so much recreating, it was literally "so Superman's one of the most recognizable figures on the planet; who's bigger than Superman?" because they pre-dated (and one could argue, started) the obsession of movie executives and producers of taking the most recognizable brand they can afford to license/outright purchase and turning them into movies because of a weird assumption that because everyone knows what Kleenex is, they would go see The Kleenex Adventure instead of going "that is the stupidest idea I have ever heard" and ignoring its existence

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All I can remember from Santa Claus the Movie was how disgusting the lollipops they were using to make things fly looked and being weirdly disturbed by the whole movie. I saw it on tv when I was like 6 and all I can properly recall are emotions. I hate it

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
It's my wife's favourite Christmas movie, I never knew it existed until a couple of years ago. It was on TV in the afternoon at my in-laws around Christmas time and I watched the first 30 mins or so, deeply weirded out the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo that movie was like a tiny spec in my brain and that little speech brought back. gently caress, I thought it wasn't real.