Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henker
May 5, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

I feel bad for whoever designed the new webcam on a wheel droid for this movie. Like they prob thought they were making the cutest new star war thing ever that everyone would love that would be sold everywhere and have tons of memes and stuff then baby yoda came out he prob opened his veins in a warm bathtub.

I have soft spot for that little robot because he has the same personality as my dog. Skittish but very polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Burning_Monk posted:

Does the new movie ever explain what "muklunkey" means?

Maclunkey is a Rodian word that means "I am going to try to shoot you right now, so it's okay if you shoot me back because it will be legitimate self-defence."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phenotype posted:

Maclunkey is a Rodian word that means "I am going to try to shoot you right now, so it's okay if you shoot me back because it will be legitimate self-defence."

Must have a Germanic origin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/party_harderson/status/1209260369547603968?s=21

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Star Wars has been saying "clones did it" since forever.

poo poo, at one point, Lando (FREAKING LANDO) was supposed to be a type example of one of the different clone templates used in the Clone Wars.

If you go back far enough in the internet history, back into the Usenet days, you can find people seriously debating if Obi-Wan's name was really OB-1, a model of clone from the war, and that Ben was a specific individual clone.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Before the prequels it really was the drat wild west when it came to fan theories about all the "unexplained events" in the OT. People generally took the EU as de facto canon but even then you'd find crazy stuff or stuff that contradicted the other stuff or the old "that's not a film so it doesn't count".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sash! posted:

If you go back far enough in the internet history, back into the Usenet days, you can find people seriously debating if Obi-Wan's name was really OB-1, a model of clone from the war, and that Ben was a specific individual clone.

It’s certainly what I thought for as long as I could remember. Old Ben/OB, it was a perfectly logical thing to assume before the prequels came out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Justin Godscock posted:

Before the prequels it really was the drat wild west when it came to fan theories about all the "unexplained events" in the OT. People generally took the EU as de facto canon but even then you'd find crazy stuff or stuff that contradicted the other stuff or the old "that's not a film so it doesn't count".

Leland Chee was hired to create an official canon tier scheme. Regardless of how mad fans got or what Lucas said, canon before Disney went:

G-canon: The original 6 movies and any statements by Lucas himself

T-canon: The TV shows

C-canon: Books, games, comics, non-theatrical films, and other EU content

S-canon: Old content made before attempts at making a consistent continuity and of an ambiguous canonicity (like the Marvel Star Wars comics)

Anything that was contradicted by a higher level was non-canon while anything that wasn’t contradicted was canon. This means, for instance, that the broad events of a video game were canon but gameplay mechanics weren’t.

When Disney took over they declared that the only canon was the 9 movies, the Clone Wars and Rebels CG cartoons, and all approved works after a certain date. Chee is still employed and working to keep the new canon consistent. That said, the new creators are free to use any aspects of the old Legends canon in new works as long as they can find a proper way to integrate it. We’ve seen enough stuff come back or get referenced that I wouldn’t discount anything from the old canon being utilized, like a reference to Xim the Despot or the XR-85 droid tanks.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Phylodox posted:

Baby Yoda is literally Yoda. It’s a clone of Yoda. The scientist who wanted to study him had a patch from the Kaminoan cloning facilities and Moff Gideon said he’s “not what you think”. Is it even really in dispute at this point?

Isn't there a conversation with Quiil in ep 7 where he says flat out that the baby seems to be natural and not engineered?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaedric posted:

Isn't there a conversation with Quiil in ep 7 where he says flat out that the baby seems to be natural and not engineered?

Yes, though that’s on the basis of it not having the perfected design of an engineered being (“Too ugly”). It doesn’t mean he’s not a clone of a member of that species.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Kaedric posted:

Yeah, I took that as a wink towards the audience: "we know some of you are going to think he's a clone; he's not, give it a rest".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDkniNTeZg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/akiora/status/1209284161669865473?s=21

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

People have been making Yoda cocktails for weeks

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rocksicles posted:

People have been making Yoda cocktails for weeks

No one likes a party pooper.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

No one likes a party pooper.

I'm just saying, it's a big thing.
https://www.google.com/search?q=yod...w=2560&bih=1302

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think he means it's just a bit of fun and let people enjoy it

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Herostratus posted:

They could have been using an auto frequency scanner (a thing that actually exists).
Another option is they were using old imperial gear to communicate which was broadcasting on standard imp frequencies

Speeder bikes seem to have some serious communications equipment on them.

In Return of the Jedi, we see they have a button just for jamming communications.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

I think he means it's just a bit of fun and let people enjoy it

oh brother, i'm just pointing out the world is having fun with yoda cocktails.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Sorry friend these are tense times. The fanbase is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless sith Lord, JJ Abrams. There are heroes on both sides. Posters are everywhere.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd be balls deep in a yodarita today if i had tequila. But i have Russian vodka and dark rum like a peasant.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 25, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Killer robot posted:

I mean, dead pulp villains come back with little explanation sometimes. I wasn't excited by a return of Palpatine plot but it's very genre appropriate.

Thanks for the untagged spoiler.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because women coming forward about widespread abuses and being punished for it is super funny, am I right everybody?

gently caress this dude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a woman and calm down you are trying way too hard.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

It's a woman and calm down you are trying way too hard.
Nope. I actually give a poo poo. So go do your practiced apathy somewhere else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lighten up francis. It's an absurd joke about a delightful puppet getting cancelled.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The sofa justice warrior will not stand for this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are just mad that I didn't turn in my thesis on why I didn't like TLJ yet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I liked The Last Jedi and I liked The Rise of Skywalker. Here’s my essay:

The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and the Rise of Skywalker were all amazing. The Mandolorian is amazing too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I liked The Last Jedi and I liked The Rise of Skywalker. Here’s my essay:

The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and the Rise of Skywalker were all amazing. The Mandolorian is amazing too.

Worst take. Kill this goon.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

Crossposting wholesomeness from the FFG RPG thread because Baby Yoda has gotten my own babies into The Star Wars in a way none of the films ever did:

Ran my kids through a truncated version of the EotE beginner module. Highlight was definitely an inspired use of the droid's meager deception pool by my 9-year-old.

"I tell the docking control officer I need her to release the clamps on the ship in docking bay? What was it... Auresh?"
"That's right. She says "And why should I do that?'"
"'I'm docking control droid 374. The ship has to leave in precisely 4.5 minutes.'"
"'But you look like a medical droid?'"
"'There's a very bad sickness on the ship, it needs to be quarantined.'"
"'I didn't get any Imperial Commerce Commision notification of quarantine-- but I don't want any sickness spreading here under my watch. What about the firefight we heard outside?'"
"'One of your security droids malfunctioned.'"

I gave her two advantage dice on the deceit roll because you gotta reward ad-libbing with the lie that well.

"Okay, I better shut the other one down remotely and do a full diagnostic."

Epilogue
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1209148587277459457

Your child needs to be assigned to write the next Star Wars movie due to creative brightness.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My 3 year old daughter is obsessed with Baby Yoda. She has a description for each episode she wants to watch. Episode 2 is "Mandolorian fights the Rhino and falls in the mud", Episode 4 is "Baby Yoda and the Scary Robot", Episode 5 is "Baby Yoda is left alone". Rest don't have enough baby Yoda to be worth watching.

I made a Baby Yoda for her, and I thought I'd share - pretty happy with how it turned out.

Older daughter wanted one too, so I made a soup drinking one too!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

gninjagnome posted:

My 3 year old daughter is obsessed with Baby Yoda. She has a description for each episode she wants to watch. Episode 2 is "Mandolorian fights the Rhino and falls in the mud", Episode 4 is "Baby Yoda and the Scary Robot", Episode 5 is "Baby Yoda is left alone". Rest don't have enough baby Yoda to be worth watching.

I made a Baby Yoda for her, and I thought I'd share - pretty happy with how it turned out.

Older daughter wanted one too, so I made a soup drinking one too!

Right now Werner Herzog is on his way to your home to employ/enslave you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
"I understand the plushie industry is a complicated profession..."

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Episode 7 is non-stop baby yoda I demand you add it to the list

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Owlbear Camus posted:

Lighten up francis. It's an absurd joke about a delightful puppet getting cancelled.
Said absurdity would actually be funny if the people who actually came forward about actual abuses weren't routinely punished for it and their perpetrators were actually punished for literally raping people.

"What if social justice, but not taken seriously" isn't a joke. It's the status quo.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Donovan Trip posted:

Episode 7 is non-stop baby yoda I demand you add it to the list

Haha, true. I'm waiting until the next episode is out before I show her so I dont have to deal with a week of her asking what happened to baby Yoda.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Said absurdity would actually be funny if the people who actually came forward about actual abuses weren't routinely punished for it and their perpetrators were actually punished for literally raping people.

"What if social justice, but not taken seriously" isn't a joke. It's the status quo.

Thank you for your service, officer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

zoux posted:

Thank you for your service, officer.
It says a lot more about you than me that you think anybody caring about Hollywood's systemic rape problem has an agenda beyond "this is bad and we shouldn't mock it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

N/m

zoux fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 25, 2019