Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's the extended armament haki that Luffy's learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

This fuckimg manga

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
So if Roger was a swordsman, maybe Shanks learned to swordfight from him? And of course the Legendary Pirate Lord Buggy. I figured it was Rayleigh at first.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 23, 2019

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Bless you.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Jesus christ

The tiniest loving details

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Wait, that conversation is from when they’re rushing to the Doctor on Drum Island, right? Isn’t that arc the first time we hear anything about Blackbeard?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Wait, that conversation is from when they’re rushing to the Doctor on Drum Island, right? Isn’t that arc the first time we hear anything about Blackbeard?

yes blackbeards basically introduced then that convo comes up

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do they say anything else beyond that convo? I'm not connecting living in the north with not sleeping. Is it just so dangerous you can't fall asleep?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Do they say anything else beyond that convo? I'm not connecting living in the north with not sleeping. Is it just so dangerous you can't fall asleep?

The IRL explanation is your body doesn't breathe when you fall asleep so you die. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_hypoventilation_syndrome (Ondine's Curse)

Theres no mention of the north just snow countries/islands.

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 23, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luffy and Sanji are just swapping stories they've heard about snowy climates, and Luffy doesn't even remember his very well.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Given what we know about Luffy's life, there's a decent chance 'a guy in a bar' could be someone from Shanks' crew.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah the only bars we know he had been to before that panel was the one w. the old man in Loguetown that met Roger and Makino's.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

Given what we know about Luffy's life, there's a decent chance 'a guy in a bar' could be someone from Shanks' crew.

hell it probably was shanks telling the story, and the story was about blackbeard

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

baby shanks and baby buggy are like if goku and vegeta hung out as kids

except like, modern vegeta where he's already kinda chilled out

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

scary ghost dog posted:

hell it probably was shanks telling the story, and the story was about blackbeard

Shanks actually told Luffy everything about Blackbeard and how he has to be stopped but Luffy didn't care and forgot about it twenty minutes later.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

scary ghost dog posted:

There actually is a theory about that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/aminoa...o26BJknkPj0rRVe

Including the prediction that Teach can't sleep.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Luffy met Blackbeard in a bar.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Minion of Freya posted:

Luffy met Blackbeard in a bar.

Oda truly is a master of foreshadowing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Luffy seems to have been hanging out in bars since he was like, six? He doesn't strike me as being interested in drinking, just the ambience.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Luffy basically grew up in a bar before Garp shipped him to Dadan (even then the boys seemed to hang out at Makino's place pretty regularly.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, bars are where you go to get information/teammates for your adventure, if pop culture has taught me anything.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
He hung out at bars because he always wanted to be a pirate and that’s where pirates hung out at :shrug:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

D: Oda-sensei!! Please tell us the favorite and least favorite foods of the seven commanders of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet!! P.N. Rabbit Princess

O: Coming right up.

Cavendish - Favorite: Roses; Hated: Ramen
Bartolomeo - Favorite: Cheap sweets; Hated: Vegetables
Don Sai - Favorite: Bento from his beloved; Hated: Crab
Ideo - Favorite: Doner Kebab; Hated: Pork
Leo - Favorite: Pumpkin; Hated: All spicy foods
Hajrudin - Favorite: Meatballs; Hated: Semla
Orlumbus - Favorite: Boiled eggs; Hated: Fanciful cooking.

Ha ha ha, oh wow.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We just got Ba D. Dog'd, didn't we?

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
lmao that Cavendish's favourite food is roses

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
His secret shame!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ha ha ha, oh wow.

This is pretty crazy to say out loud, but are we supposed to read into this and assume Ideo has pseudo-Middle Eastern or Muslim roots? I mean, in the same arc we also have Abdullah and Jeet...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This is pretty crazy to say out loud, but are we supposed to read into this and assume Ideo has pseudo-Middle Eastern or Muslim roots? I mean, in the same arc we also have Abdullah and Jeet...

If Kuma can be a Christian, then there's no reason Ideo can't be a Muslim.

I always found that aspect of the One Piece world pretty weird, actually. Were One Piece's equivalent of Jews slaves in Arabasta? Is the next island in the Grand Line after Arabasta their equivalent of Israel?

Edit: Buddhism and Greek paganism also seem to exist in some form. The Greek stuff is probably a plot point.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 24, 2019

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is kuma christian or did oda just think it looked cool to give him a book labeled bible

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Didn't we see a nun during Marineford praying for the Marines' success.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Caramel was dressed as a nun wasn't she?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Manatee Cannon posted:

is kuma christian or did oda just think it looked cool to give him a book labeled bible

Probably a reference to his real life counterpart, Bartholomew Roberts, who was religious man and yet a murderous bastard at the same time.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kild posted:

Caramel was dressed as a nun wasn't she?

it's also why she's called "Mother" Carmel and referred to as the Holy Mother

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Religion is handled pretty weirdly in One Piece, now that I think about it. IIRC Enel sees himself literally as God in Skypeia while Zoro has explicitly said he doesn't believe in God. I think it's otherwise just used as window dressing in the One Piece world.

Oh, and you also have Caribou praying for his victims as he buries them alive at Sabaody.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

religion and religious imagery in one piece is very much the anime way of 'whatever looks cool' handling of religion, dont overthink it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Funky Valentine posted:

Didn't we see a nun during Marineford praying for the Marines' success.

Whiskey Peak had a few bounty hunters dressed as nuns, and one of them pulled a knife disguised as a cross on Zoro.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Religion is handled pretty weirdly in One Piece, now that I think about it. IIRC Enel sees himself literally as God in Skypeia while Zoro has explicitly said he doesn't believe in God. I think it's otherwise just used as window dressing in the One Piece world.

Oh, and you also have Caribou praying for his victims as he buries them alive at Sabaody.

Enel straight up has a God Complex and the ruler of Skypeia is called God which did not help. Technically it would be Kami which isn’t quite the same level as the Christian Monotheistic omniscient deity but yeah.

As I recall Gan Fall the Sky Knight was also known as God, and so was the giant snake.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The giant snake was legit treated as a deity before Noland proved it was not.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Enel straight up has a God Complex and the ruler of Skypeia is called God which did not help. Technically it would be Kami which isn’t quite the same level as the Christian Monotheistic omniscient deity but yeah.

As I recall Gan Fall the Sky Knight was also known as God, and so was the giant snake.

Gan Fall was God until Enel showed up and jacked his poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, yeah, he was the previous ruler of Skypiea.