Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Blarghalt posted:

Angel Catbird

A (formerly) trusted friend who worked at a comic book store recommended this book for my daughter as a Christmas present. Because I trusted this person, I bought the book and gave it to the 13 year old child. The child flipped through it, made a face, and never touched it again. Later that night I tried to read it and realized I had wronged the child greatly.

We do not speak to this person any longer. Angel Catbird isn’t the reason why, but the recommendation is definitely a symptom of some of the problems with that person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Blarghalt posted:

Merry Christmas, goons! 'Tis the season for jolly and cheer, which makes this post extra weird since it's probably gonna put you in a bad mood!!

So. About two weeks, I became aware of a certain comic by Dark Horse Comics.

Meet Angel Catbird. You can tell he's an Angel Catbird because of his angel wings, and owl head, and aquaman pants, and the cover saying ANGEL CATBIRD.

But that's not really what's important here. What's important here is the top name associated with with this munitions fire. Does it seem familiar? That's because it's Margaret Atwood.

The Margaret Atwood.

The woman who wrote The Handmaid's Tale.

I checked and double-checked. It's the same Margaret Atwood, which makes the existence of this comic ever more baffling.

Now, why am I telling you all this? It's simple. Because Angel Catbird

is

loving

awful.

Every page is like this. Now the art itself is competent enough, but what seems to have happened here is that Margaret Atwood designed the characters, and the artist (Johnnie Christmas, apparently) did the best with what he was given.

seriously, look at this poo poo

But the best ("best") part is the writing, which is just this absolute trainwreck. I picked a particularly good example here, where the love interest who's known Angel Catbird for all of a day decides to inform the reader of her estrus cycle, and also the main hero just yeeting his Catbird-y-ness off his body by thinking of a washing machine. You have to see this for yourself to truly understand how bad the writing is. And this isn't just like the art where she provided a rough draft and a hack writer ran with it; as far as I can tell, Margaret Atwood wrote the entire script, by herself. And what a script it is, being absolutely filled to the prime with bargain bin cat puns and every single character being horny, made worse by how Atwood would've been like 77 when she wrote this. It seriously reads like her realizing she was a furry and working through it in the form of this comic.

I can definitely provide more if you goons are interested in some grade-A garbage; It's the worst loving published comic I've ever read in years and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

If I’m remembering the forward to this, Atwood explains this was an homage to the comics of her youth, when comics were weird and horny.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Blarghalt posted:

I can definitely provide more if you goons are interested in some grade-A garbage; It's the worst loving published comic I've ever read in years and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Yes. Yessssss

(if the rules permit it)

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. Yessssss

(if the rules permit it)

I kinda posted that to test the waters; there's only three issues of this garbage fire, so even if I made Angel Catbird its own separate thread, it wouldn't last very long, so here we are. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Not only do I have all three volumes of Angel Catbird, they're signed. (I won them at a charity auction for a Provincial Park)

They're bad but I love them.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Is Angel Catbird worse/more messed up/trippy than the Cats movie?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MH Knights posted:

Is Angel Catbird worse/more messed up/trippy than the Cats movie?

no
https://twitter.com/Daviesallison1A/status/1209555650314981376

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

That's very much in the mold of Bill Everett's depictions.

After the golden age, Everett would tone down the sharp angles of the head and the fish-eyed Atlanteans but it never went away entirely.

You wouldn't think that head would be very hydrodynamic, but he manages.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Oh my god, I never thought I’d see a fever dream so realistically depicted. It’s downright schizophrenic.

“So there’s this person, but she’s actually a cat. And she’s watching these tiny people, but they’re actually roaches. And then the roaches go upside down, and then a different person/cat eats one. And then suddenly they start dancing, and then the second cat tears off her skin, but it’s okay because there’s another coat of fur underneath, and then...”

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I said this elsewhere, but I have never seen such raw Sonic the Hedgehog fanart energy in my life.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Domus posted:

Oh my god, I never thought I’d see a fever dream so realistically depicted. It’s downright schizophrenic.

“So there’s this person, but she’s actually a cat. And she’s watching these tiny people, but they’re actually roaches. And then the roaches go upside down, and then a different person/cat eats one. And then suddenly they start dancing, and then the second cat tears off her skin, but it’s okay because there’s another coat of fur underneath, and then...”

I saw one description of some of the sloppier animation that was "roaches/cats wearing people masks" and that is on point.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I'm reminded of Mirrormask for some reason.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo, I saw the reviews but I could never have imagined.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s an amazing movie. That’s actually the worst scene and it’s at the very beginning; the rest is either a legit adaptation of the stage musical or so hilariously bad that you love it. It’s got Jason Derulo nearly sucking toes and naked Idris Elba, and Judi Dench has to be led by the hand everywhere because she’s basically blind now. Jennifer Hudson somehow manages to do the entire movie mid-sob with snot running down her nose.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to recall Stephen Colbert (not very seriously) claiming that Atwood had swiped the idea of Angel Catbird from the "Prince Hawkcat" character he made up for Comic-Con.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've got a couple large volumes of that comic but I don't know enough about mah jongg for it to remotely make sense with my meager Japanese.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random Stranger posted:

I've got a couple large volumes of that comic but I don't know enough about mah jongg for it to remotely make sense with my meager Japanese.

no that's kaiji, the manga about gambling. you're thinking of akagi, the manga about gambling by the same author

see, kaiji has dark hair, but akagi? akagi has white hair. that's how you can tell the difference

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Senju Kannon posted:

no that's kaiji, the manga about gambling. you're thinking of akagi, the manga about gambling by the same author

see, kaiji has dark hair, but akagi? akagi has white hair. that's how you can tell the difference

Akagi is the one that's had the same mahjongg game going on for like two decades.

It's a fun read even if you know nothing about the game, since they add all kinds of weird rules and extra stakes anyway. At one point the hero has to give up a bunch of his literal blood to exchange for cash to buy into the next round. It all takes place in one night.

Oh also the outcome of the game is a foregone conclusion, it was revealed in Kaiji ages ago. The author is just drawing it out to an incredible extreme for fun.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i watched the anime adaptation and got really upset that they ended it on a cliffhanger. i'd watch the drama but i don't want the same thing to happen to me! i can only watch akagi defeat the blind mahjong player so many times!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have no idea what's being talked about but i saw gambling, so this is where i say kakegurui is a good, if exceptionally horny, anime and worth a watch

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

i thought that was just manga jughead

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it is; riverdale is a wild ride

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Senju Kannon posted:

it is; riverdale is a wild ride

If you told me that this season of Riverdale hinged on life-or-death mahjong I would absolutely believe you. There is very, very little I would not believe about that show.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Marvel Feature #3 (1972)

Spidey Super Stories #11 (1975)

What If? #13 (1979)
Marvel just had no idea what punk rock was, did they?

Darthemed posted:

Dazzler #3

The Sensational She-Hulk #3 (1989)

Strange Sports Stories #2 (2015)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #21 (2017)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That Conan panel reminds me of that absurd Batman story about how Rock and Roll records were the real killers! I don't remember what it was called, but it was clearly written by the world's oldest man, perhaps even an actual ghost.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

That Conan panel reminds me of that absurd Batman story about how Rock and Roll records were the real killers! I don't remember what it was called, but it was clearly written by the world's oldest man, perhaps even an actual ghost.

Batman: Fortunate Son, it's awful great awful

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alacron posted:

gently caress, the image of the batmobile's FM radio is making me laugh me rear end off. Thanks for the name, I gotta reread that mess.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alacron posted:

Robin looks like he's thinking 'why couldn't I be in a better comic?'

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 29, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

I mean yeah dad that's why I listen to it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
OK Batboomer

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Begemot posted:

Akagi is the one that's had the same mahjongg game going on for like two decades.

It's a fun read even if you know nothing about the game, since they add all kinds of weird rules and extra stakes anyway. At one point the hero has to give up a bunch of his literal blood to exchange for cash to buy into the next round. It all takes place in one night.

Oh also the outcome of the game is a foregone conclusion, it was revealed in Kaiji ages ago. The author is just drawing it out to an incredible extreme for fun.

That sounds interesting (not enough to read 20 years of comics, though). Do you have a link about this crazy story and the 20 year mahjongg game?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Darthemed posted:

What If? #13 (1979)
Marvel just had no idea what punk rock was, did they?

Nah, those are actual fantasy wizards using their vast knowledge of time and space to gently caress with Conan.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vincent posted:

That sounds interesting (not enough to read 20 years of comics, though). Do you have a link about this crazy story and the 20 year mahjongg game?

Sure, you can read it on mangadex here, it hasn't been licensed outside of Japan.

Also, apparently I was wrong, it finally ended last summer! Started in 1991, but the first arc is actually a different mahjong game, which makes the second arc lasting like 25 years even more strange, really.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Fourth. Akagi is made up of four Mahjong games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

(John Constantine - Hellblazer #02)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

(John Constantine - Hellblazer #02)
John Constantine wouldn't make racist jokes :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Woebin posted:

John Constantine wouldn't make racist jokes :colbert:

Constantine's been dead since New 52 and everybody knows it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd explain, but it's funnier without context.

Mister Miracle 18 (1990)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Constantine's been dead since New 52 and everybody knows it.

Is that... Dogwelder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

evilmiera posted:

Is that... Dogwelder?
Yeah, according to Google it's "Sixpack and Dogwelder: Hard Travelin' Heroz (2016-2017)". Miniseries about the origins and deep history of Dogwelder.
E: Dogwelders through history.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 31, 2019