Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
As a kid I saw dozens of UFO's. There was an entire UFO scare due to the amount of sightings in the region at the time. I think a lot of it probably had to do with air traffic and the war on terror in the early 2000's.
But now that I look back all of it can be explained really, bar one incident where I witnessed a silver orb descend/ascend rapidly and move at strange angles along the edge of a cloud, moving in and out of it.
In recent years I spent hundreds of hours out with my manual dobsonian telescope, star hopping and cataloguing all the messier and other cool clusters.
In all that time I never saw anything strange, bar satellites and the space station.

Those navy videos of the water skimming thing and the article on the unknown colorado drone patrols is spooky as hell though.
I want to believe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJfu90SPkXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if the government was just dosing your water supply with LSD? Huh, smart guy?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There was some newspaper article about someone in bumfuck america putting little cowboy hats on pigeons. Replace cowboy hats with headlamps and hey presto, there's your loving ufos

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All the alien abductions and UFO's are in America and america alone

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zaepg posted:

What is the universe is concious at different levels but our planet isn't quite 100% there to fully understand this fundemental idea.

are you trying to sell me wizard points

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Zzulu posted:

All the alien abductions and UFO's are in America and america alone

Well duh America's is the world's rear end in a top hat and we all know what aliens do to them

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I don't get why people get angry when you tell them aliens have almost certainly never visited earth. Even if you concede they almost certainly *do* exist somewhere in the universe. Like how bored are you that you can't appreciate the miracle of nature that allows you to be alive and posting

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Relayer posted:

I don't get why people get angry when you tell them aliens have almost certainly never visited earth. Even if you concede they almost certainly *do* exist somewhere in the universe. Like how bored are you that you can't appreciate the miracle of nature that allows you to be alive and posting

This is something I've never understood about supernatural type thinkers in general. Like, the actual real mysteries of our universe (and science/math/physics) are pretty loving cool, why the need to introduce a bunch of made up fantasy stuff?

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Relayer posted:

The Fermi Paradox and the Drake Equation seem to point to the fact that we already have or should have been. The provability of that is down to them landing on the lawn of the White House before there's a consensus about it. Preface any debate-able fact with "Almost certainly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

naem
May 29, 2011

jokes posted:

There are two possible scenarios if aliens are real.

1) They are sexually attractive and we attempt to gently caress them
2) They are not sexually attractive and we attempt to gently caress them

Whatever the circumstance, we will either gently caress them to death or gently caress each other enough to destroy their entire species.

I sure hope they don’t find out about my nine inch logn penis

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

fcc compliant bob posted:

The Fermi Paradox and the Drake Equation seem to point to the fact that we already have or should have been. The provability of that is down to them landing on the lawn of the White House before there's a consensus about it. Preface any debate-able fact with "Almost certainly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Nobody knows the coefficients to the Drake equation and the whole point of the Fermi paradox is that there are no observable aliens.

Jesus, UFO nutjobs are the worst.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Stex T posted:

Nobody knows the coefficients to the Drake equation and the whole point of the Fermi paradox is that there are no observable aliens.

Yes thank you. The fermi paradox means the opposite of what that guy thinks it means.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Stex T posted:

"According to this line of reasoning, the Earth should have already been visited by an extraterrestrial civilization, or at least their probes."

"The provability of that is down to them landing on the lawn of the White House before there's a consensus about it."

Jesus

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

"According to this line of reasoning, the Earth should have already been visited by an extraterrestrial civilization, or at least their probes."

ughhhh you complete buffoon

brian cox explains in precise detail why aliens almost certainly exist, and ALSO why they almost certainly have never been to earth, specifically based on the fermi paradox. and I don't know why you have an aversion to the words "almost certainly"

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

"The provability of that is down to them landing on the lawn of the White House before there's a consensus about it."

Jesus

quote:

The Fermi paradox is a conflict between the argument that scale and probability seem to favor intelligent life being common in the universe, and the total lack of evidence of intelligent life having ever arisen anywhere other than on the Earth.

quote:

the total lack of evidence of intelligent life having ever arisen anywhere other than on the Earth

quote:

the total lack of evidence of intelligent life having ever arisen anywhere other than on the Earth

quote:

quote:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I see. It was just the police. Yeah. My mistake. If you want to further that point he also ran a brothel at some point if I'm not mistaken. He's always been doing "crank" wacky poo poo. Rocket cars etc. Someone who might be easily discredited if they did go public. They've got records of him working at Los Alamos from the phone book. What of element 115? That was pretty creative to have only been proven existing in 2005. Or the fact that his employment history during that time is completely erased from his social security. If they were willing to erase his records from the file cabinets of the Social Security office, what would have stopped them from walking into MIT and Cal Tech and pulling them from them?

Maybe he did work at Los Alamos! Lots of people did in lots of capacities. But if institutions give diplomas and class photos and demonstrable expertise and lots of verifiable financial records to their graduates, he'd have had no problem clearing the rest of his background up. But he can't. Published works would help, too, since he'd logically have to have built a reputation and a frankly revolutionary body of work before being tapped as the singular genius to reverse engineer the world's literal biggest secret technological puzzle. Element 115 was 'discovered' in name only; he just picked a gap in an exotic corner of the periodic table that hadn't been filled yet.

There are so many cooler actual mysteries to consider instead of buying into this charlatan's thing. He's a fascinating character to ponder, but there's nothing below the surface.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Universe: billions of years old
Human civilization: couple thousand
Human mindset: I expect to see aliens in my lifetime

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'd like to think that any lifeform that evolves intelligence and builds up technology to leave their gravity well either kills itself through capitalism or figures out that it's not worth it and just ends up creating better-than-reality VR and sits in pods until they die out.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tighclops posted:

The dude was selling model kits of the supposed alien flying saucers he worked on in the 90s, he knows his target audience.

Oh snap I had one of those! Iirc it included a booklet that claimed that Element 112 was the power source, I guess he had to change it to 115 when 112 was synthesized in '96 and was shown to be hella unstable.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'd like to think that any lifeform that evolves intelligence and builds up technology to leave their gravity well either kills itself through capitalism or figures out that it's not worth it and just ends up creating better-than-reality VR and sits in pods until they die out.

They specifically don't bother to visit capitalist societies. They all end in disaster

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How do the aliens breed?

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Maybe he did work at Los Alamos! Lots of people did in lots of capacities. But if institutions give diplomas and class photos and demonstrable expertise and lots of verifiable financial records to their graduates, he'd have had no problem clearing the rest of his background up. But he can't. Published works would help, too, since he'd logically have to have built a reputation and a frankly revolutionary body of work before being tapped as the singular genius to reverse engineer the world's literal biggest secret technological puzzle. Element 115 was 'discovered' in name only; he just picked a gap in an exotic corner of the periodic table that hadn't been filled yet.

There are so many cooler actual mysteries to consider instead of buying into this charlatan's thing. He's a fascinating character to ponder, but there's nothing below the surface.

I know. Not just his mystery but the whole mystery of UFOs in general is to me an interesting but ultimately unhealthy fascination even though I've seen some and believe Bob Lazar's story.

Simulation Theory similar to the concepts in the Fermi Paradox, to me is more absurd. It assumes that every advance civilization that could simulate something is interested in creating ant farms. And is without question 100% theoretical and with an inarguable complete lack of proof. Why even care about it? I don't think advanced alien civilizations are too interested in visiting Earth because we're just ant farms to them. Maybe check in on occasion to see that we're not totally nuking a class M1 planet or some poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

toggle posted:

How do the aliens breed?

Through the butt

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

toggle posted:

How do the aliens breed?

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's been thoroughly depicted in DeviantArt.

Stex T fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 25, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

imagine an alien sasquatch hybrid :awesome:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

believe Bob Lazar's story.

Why do you believe this obvious frauds story even after it's been shown to you how and why his story is 100% obvious bullshit?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

toggle posted:

How do the aliens breed?

Very carefully

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

quote:

A persistent legend involving Area 51 concerns a supposed “gray” (a term used for an alien archetype described by many as short, gray, and with large eyes) named J-Rod. He allegedly survived a UFO crash in Kingman, Arizona in the early 1950s, and the government took him to Area 51.

Dan Burch, a microbiologist who worked for the Defense Intelligence Agency, first reported the story. Dan stated he worked at Area 51 Groom Lake, the runway section of the base. Dan claimed the government had him take tissue samples from the captured alien. J-Rod and Burch became friends over the course of the two years Dan worked on the project.

J-Rod communicated with Dan through something called “shared consciousness,” telling him many stories about J-Rod’s civilization and past. J-Rod related that his race inhabited Earth thousands of years ago, but they were forced to leave due to global natural catastrophes. He alleged that the “grays” wanted to return to Earth to establish relations with humans and recover some genetic variance through human DNA.

Burch’s story becomes even less credible as he ends his tale by claiming to have saved J-Rod by taking him to Abydos in Egypt and sending J-Rod through a natural “Star Portal.”

I find it hilarious that the alien is named J-Rod. Not KERBLAXOR or something. Just J-Rod.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why do you believe this obvious frauds story even after it's been shown to you how and why his story is 100% obvious bullshit?

You can go back and read why I said I believe it. Go back and read my documented account of a UFO sighting. Also gently caress your entire premise

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Do you believe in J-Rod? Please tell me you believe in my homie J-Rod.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

You can go back and read why I said I believe it. Go back and read my documented account of a UFO sighting. Also gently caress your entire premise

Why did you make up the story about seeing a UFO and why do you continue to lie to people about it?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Stex T posted:

Do you believe in J-Rod? Please tell me you believe in my homie J-Rod.

yo this your boy J-Rod comin at you with the lazers and poo poo, bleep blorp muthafucka

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

J Rod is not only real he totally sucks rear end at any and every card game! guess your telepathy can't read a bluff you almond eyed schmuck! Pay me my money

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

imagine an alien sasquatch hybrid :awesome:

Then imagine it buttfucking Santa Claus. Then imagine them discovering a hieroglyph of the same thing on ancient aliens. :tinfoil:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I think part of it is a failure of imagination on their part, like this Lazar's story *has* to be true because the idea of detecting the chain of atomic explosions from an alien orion pulse rocket as it decelerates into our solar system is too boring or difficult to visualize after decades of pop sci fi talking about poo poo like inertia dampeners and reaction-less space drives.

I really wish amazon or netflix or somebody would adapt Larry Niven's Footfall as the ultimate scientifically plausible alien invasion story, but they'd have to edit out all the Jerry Pournelle parts

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
J-Rod was cool until he defected to the Space Yankees.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Why did you make up the story about seeing a UFO and why do you continue to lie to people about it?

Mainly because I need attention

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Mainly because I need attention

Replace "attention" with "Risperidone" and you might have something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

Well I can't roll with that hypothetical. Too much of a stretch dude. You have homies?