Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone had Hulu with no ads, and then switched to the H/D/E bundle while using the Verizon free year? I wouldn't mind doing that, but I definitely don't want to screw up the free year Verizon's offering.
I did. I was charged $0.01 for it. Do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Minidust posted:

Since I gotta replace Vue I've narrowed my choices down to Sling Blue and Philo. Anyone have thoughts on Sling's DVR? I see on suppose.tv that it has "restricted ad skipping" so I'm very curious as to what that entails. It also indicates "no DVR on certain channels" so I'm wondering if there's a full list of those somewhere (I'm assuming it's mostly gonna be locals and sports stuff?).

Also I'm a bit antsy about "downsizing" to a 50-hour DVR, so I'm wondering how robust Sling's on-demand offerings are. If the selection is decent I suppose that could offset the DVR limitations, since I got so used to just not thinking about it with Vue.

Meanwhile Philo's DVR sounds very similar to Vue's; basically unlimited recording that saves for 30 days. Thoughts from anyone who has used both?

I just did Philo's trial but wasn't impressed. The app on AppleTV and iOS is very rough. iOS doesn't have a guide, it's all just show thumbnails you click on. In the AppleTV app they have a guide, but for some reason if you click on the TV show it always starts from the beginning and I have to fast-forward to live. I don't like that.

I dropped DirecTV Now and switched to Sling.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Astro7x posted:

That's what trials are for I guess. For your DVR questions on Sling...

You can’t record anything on on-demand channels like Local Now, and all of the Disney and ESPN channels are off limits. That includes Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney JR, ESPNs and SEC Network Extra. There are fast forwarding restrictions on “select recordings” on Fox channels, including FX, FS1, FS2, and National Geographic. It loads an on demand version of the show, which does not allow you to fast forward through commercials.

The only time I remember running into it was during So You Think You Can Dance. If I joined the recording late while it was live I could fast forward through commercials. And I even think once the show was over I could fast forward that night it aired. But the next day when it hit on demand it loaded the on demand version and limited fast forwarding.
Thanks, that doesn't sound to bad, but yeah I'll def give the trial a shot.

FCKGW posted:

I just did Philo's trial but wasn't impressed. The app on AppleTV and iOS is very rough. iOS doesn't have a guide, it's all just show thumbnails you click on. In the AppleTV app they have a guide, but for some reason if you click on the TV show it always starts from the beginning and I have to fast-forward to live. I don't like that.

I dropped DirecTV Now and switched to Sling.
I just started a Philo trial and fyi, if you go into the settings you can select whether a show starts from the beginning or joins live when you select it from the guide. Aside from that, it definitley "feels" cheaper than Vue, but I could definitely live with that for like $35 less. After a few hours with it the main thing I miss is the menu/UI stuff overlaying the screen while the video continues to play. On Philo it's just a cold cutaway when you navigate anything, which contributes to the aforemention cheaper feeling. Channel selection is a decent tradeoff for me vs. the Vue core package; I lose TNT, TruTV and the local channels but gain Comedy Central, TV Land, MTV Classic (the mythical "actually plays music videos" subchannel of MTV) & 3 Hallmark Channels.

I will give Sling a whirl but I figured I'd try Philo first since I'm gonna end up overlapping with Vue for about a month (hosting Thanksgiving so gotta make sure I have football), so might as well just go for the cheapest one at this point.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Philo's best feature is its integration into HomeRun/Channels DVR and you get some extra channels like the CBS NY/Boston/LA/SF feeds and KTLA 5 and a France24hr news/DW.....at least I do from NorCal.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 25, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I live a couple miles from downtown DC so all the stations are within 5 or so miles. Is the AmazonBasics antenna for $17 going to be my best bet? This thing is a few dollars cheaper and has an amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJXFRWJ/

The AmazonBasics has a detachable cable so I could use an RG6 quad shield coax, but does that actually matter? Mainly just want it for live sports.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I live a couple miles from downtown DC so all the stations are within 5 or so miles. Is the AmazonBasics antenna for $17 going to be my best bet? This thing is a few dollars cheaper and has an amplifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJXFRWJ/

The AmazonBasics has a detachable cable so I could use an RG6 quad shield coax, but does that actually matter? Mainly just want it for live sports.
I use a non-amplified one inside DC and have no trouble picking up like 70 channels or something.

Get ready for the station that broadcasts nothing but Star Trek reruns!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Neat, I didn't realize Philo lets you sign up directly through iOS while maintaining the same $20/month price. Gonna make this thing even cheaper by loading up my account with discounted iTunes credit. Does Sling work that way too? I know some subscriptions charge more if you subscribe through iTuunes, since Apple takes a hefty cut apparently.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a way to sort by channel number on Fire TV OS

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My local PBS channel is now on Youtube TV. Time to record every Antiques Roadshow.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

phosdex posted:

My local PBS channel is now on Youtube TV. Time to record every Antiques Roadshow.

Excellent

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It leaked onto Amazon early, but Dish/SlingTV have now officially announced the AirTV 2

https://twitter.com/9to5toys/status/1207017157202194434

For those who don't know what this is, it's a network DVR that lets you record OTA programming and stream it to sets around your house. If you have Sling, the OTA channels get seamlessly integrated into your guide.

The main improvement of this new version is a slimmer build but it also adds 802.11ac WiFi support.

With the AirTV you have to provide your own USB hard drive, but you don't have to pay a program guide subscription, so it's free after the initial setup costs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If I don't have Sling can I just use it as an OTA DVR without a monthly?

Sub question: since Sling integrates with OneGuide on Xbone, would this give me a way to put OTA channels in my Xbone's OneGuide without having to use the USB tuner?

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 18, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

If I don't have Sling can I just use it as an OTA DVR without a monthly?

Sub question: since Sling integrates with OneGuide on Xbone, would this give me a way to put OTA channels in my Xbone's OneGuide without having to use the USB tuner?

You can technically, but the AirTV standalone apps are not as good and not available on as many platforms as the Sling apps.

Unfortunately I believe Xbox One is one of those unsupported platforms. You're stuck with Microsoft approved methods like the USB tuner.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
In the spirit of Christmas, I just received an email from Sling that they are increasing prices.

https://whatson.sling.com/announcements/an-update-on-sling-orange-and-sling-blue/

I cancelled, I only had it for AEW and I was already waffling on keeping it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

And I just ditched ATT TV Now for Sling :/ . At least they include a DVR at no charge now

In other news, I accidentally signed up for Spectrum TV Essentials, the streaming TV service for Spectrum internet customers. It’s a pretty good dream, 60 channels for $25 but doesn’t include ESPN if that’s your thing. Most other major channels though

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In the spirit of Christmas, I just received an email from Sling that they are increasing prices.

https://whatson.sling.com/announcements/an-update-on-sling-orange-and-sling-blue/

I cancelled, I only had it for AEW and I was already waffling on keeping it.

It’s probably not an unwarranted increase. As more rights holders start their own streaming services this will continue to happen.

Having said that, YouTubeTV is now a much better value by comparison.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

XBenedict posted:

It’s probably not an unwarranted increase. As more rights holders start their own streaming services this will continue to happen.

Having said that, YouTubeTV is now a much better value by comparison.

Yeah, no I get it. It's a small increase that the majority of people won't care about it. But it just solidified my decision to drop it because I was literally using it for one show on one channel.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Super trupmo bowl

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ugh, I'm tired of comparing streaming and cable services. Nothing stands out and, based on the channels we want, there's no real standout. Dish Network seems to hit closest to the sweet spot, even paying $10 or $15 for a couple of set top boxes. We had Dish for years and it was spot on even in crappy weather.

We're doing the free week of YouTube TV (and it seems pretty cool), but we'll see.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 25, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So going into 2020 here are the advertised base prices for the current TV subscription services:

AT&T TV Now (includes HBO): $65
Hulu with Live TV: $55
FuboTV: $55
YouTube TV: $50
Sling TV (Blue and Orange): $45
Sling TV (Blue or Orange): $30
Philo TV: $20

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

Ugh, I'm tired of comparing streaming and cable services. Nothing stands out and, based on the channels we want, there's no real standout. Dish Network seems to hit closest to the sweet spot, even paying $10 or $15 for a couple of set top boxes. We had Dish for years and it was spot on even in crappy weather.

We're doing the free week of YouTube TV (and it seems pretty cool), but we'll see.

The YTTV Cloud DVR is bonkers. That's the main draw for me. I can set it to record every sporting contest by league or team, or even sport if I want to be completely nuts, and more importantly for my gf, my DVR now has every single episode of Law and Order on demand (Thank you YT and WETV.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Are there typically free streams of the network New Year's Eve specials? I'd rather not renew Vue in two days, and switch to Sling, but my area doesn't get local channels for the latter. I've been racking my brain for local TV that I'd actually miss, and watching the ball drop was all I could really think of.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Minidust posted:

Are there typically free streams of the network New Year's Eve specials? I'd rather not renew Vue in two days, and switch to Sling, but my area doesn't get local channels for the latter. I've been racking my brain for local TV that I'd actually miss, and watching the ball drop was all I could really think of.

Check out Locast.

It's available in certain cities and if you're not in one of those cities, there's ways to make your browser think it is.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

a mysterious cloak posted:

Back in October, I did the week trial of YTTV (strangely enough, also for AEW). I have tried every other service over the past couple of years and YTTV had everything I needed.

1) Every local channel and now PBS (most others would only have 2 locals out of 5)
2) All of my regional sports networks (gently caress your Cubs with your Marquee Network bullshit)
3) An insane DVR as stated.
4) A price point that, while still higher than some, is still much cheaper than just regular cable/satellite.
5) Cobra Kai

I cater as a side job so I just take my checks and turn them into google play gift cards. After 3+ months, I really enjoy the service.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

XBenedict posted:

The YTTV Cloud DVR is bonkers. That's the main draw for me. I can set it to record every sporting contest by league or team, or even sport if I want to be completely nuts, and more importantly for my gf, my DVR now has every single episode of Law and Order on demand (Thank you YT and WETV.)

We do this for sports and I recently discovered you can set it to record of keywords like Christmas. So we are able to record all the Christmas specials this year. So awesome.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

YoutubeTV has everything I'd like except DIY network which makes it a non-starter in my household unfortunately.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
YTTV+Philo for $70 has been working great for me since August. I do miss the NFL network about once per month, though during the season. :argh:

I have ATV4k's, Shield and a Roku Premiere at my ma's house for when I visit. I use iPhones/iPads/Mac. The ATV4k is the snappiest for YTTV with loading and channel changes by a considerable margin and the Roku is slowest.

I also have OTA Antenna/HD Home Run/Channels DVR app/NAS as well with Philo added to the Channels app and it then comes with some extra channels. I save some bandwidth recording local news/sports/late night via the OTA DVR and it's generally worked very well on all devices expect straight up browsers where Channels DVR just buffers and stops and farts constantly despite changing all the settings.

...so $78/monthly to replace the $130 I used to pay Dish. My internet is through Xfinity 175mbps for $65/month so in theory I would get the same tv service (for one TV at least) for another $70.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Prices are getting too drat high for me to justify streaming packages. I finally ended up going back to Xfinity myself. I kept the same Internet speed, but I got a package for TV that costs a few dollars more than the current price for Sling Orange after all the bullshit fees were added in.

I did go with a cable card, which is a “1st one is free” thing, so I get to dodge the $10 box+DVR “rental”. I have a HD Homerun Prime (has 3 tuners in it) and a lifetime Pelxpass, so I just DVR using Plex.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The "portability" and multi-device viewing of live tv streaming apps is still a massive, massive benefit over Xfinity though.

Now, when Xfinity gets their poo poo together and puts out a portable live tv app that works everywhere you want it to, then YTTV is dead, especially if you are already buying internet/and now cell phone service from them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’ll be down to licenses I’m sure, the xfinity app works for a certain selection of channels but not others.

They’re still worlds ahead of At&T with regards to their non cable box offering tho, when it comes to Apple TV at least. Essentially emulates a full cable box at no extra charge and provides the full channel lineup n

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Once all the networks have their own services, I see little reason to really care about having linear service anymore. Just sub to the stuff when it has something you want to watch and then drop it otherwise.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Once all the networks have their own services, I see little reason to really care about having linear service anymore. Just sub to the stuff when it has something you want to watch and then drop it otherwise.

Sports.

That's the biggest thing stopping me from dropping DirecTV. Granted I also have $70/month in credits for the next 10 months. Sounds like I'm SOL when that ends tho.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

wandler20 posted:

Sports.

That's the biggest thing stopping me from dropping DirecTV. Granted I also have $70/month in credits for the next 10 months. Sounds like I'm SOL when that ends tho.

DirectTV you just call after your contract is up to cancel. They will transfer you to retention who will throw you a bunch of incentives to keep your business. I used to get the football package and HBO free while also getting $60-$80! off my bill.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wandler20 posted:

Sports.

Couldn't give a flying gently caress about sports and that's why I'm pumped for this future. Sports have long been the most pricy part of pay tv and I'm fine with leaving that to be paid for by the fans.

The best thing that ever happened to my FiOS TV sub was the ability to sub to a package that left out all the RSNs so I didn't have to pay that fee for stuff I'll never watch. That alone dropped by bill by an HBO subscription a month.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm really close to switching to FUBO since they carry MSG (for Rangers games) but that no ESPN thing is a killer.

DTVN has MAG but only 1 and 2 and not the overflow and I'm constantly missing games since they don't carry the overflow channels which I think Fubo carries.

Still, that 5$ HBO + the ATT discount we get is pretty nice.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Finally coming to terms with PS Vue shutting down and so looking for something to replace that hole in my TV lineup. I guess I'm weird in that I don't care much about watching TV through the app at all, all I'm really interested in is getting logins to provider's apps directly (Food Network, ID Go, SyFy, etc etc). I've already got Philo to fill in some holes but looking at who grants access to what, I'm leaning towards Fubo. But jeez, at that point I'm spending $75 a month on cable, I might as well see what Comcast can do for me at that rate. Sign up for a year contract and hopefully by then the local fiber company will have service to me and my internet will become dirt cheap making streaming a better choice again.

E: Good lord $80+ tax gets me comcast internet + TV. What the hell am I doing with these streaming services.
E2: Oh yeah it's the $26+ of extra "fees" plus tax that's keeping me with streaming services.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 26, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Finally coming to terms with PS Vue shutting down and so looking for something to replace that hole in my TV lineup. I guess I'm weird in that I don't care much about watching TV through the app at all, all I'm really interested in is getting logins to provider's apps directly (Food Network, ID Go, SyFy, etc etc). I've already got Philo to fill in some holes but looking at who grants access to what, I'm leaning towards Fubo. But jeez, at that point I'm spending $75 a month on cable, I might as well see what Comcast can do for me at that rate. Sign up for a year contract and hopefully by then the local fiber company will have service to me and my internet will become dirt cheap making streaming a better choice again.

I ended up doing this as well. Comcast had a promo for a bundle that included HBO that was cheaper than what I had been paying for Internet + YouTube TV + Philo + HBO Now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

jabro posted:

DirectTV you just call after your contract is up to cancel. They will transfer you to retention who will throw you a bunch of incentives to keep your business. I used to get the football package and HBO free while also getting $60-$80! off my bill.

I've been with DirecTV for over 15 years and that's what I'm doing. They recently said they're stopping doing this because they're losing so much money and subscribers so it'll be interesting to see what happens when the next round comes up for me. For now I'll enjoy my $40 DirecTV.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It is interesting how we are coming full circle... People cutting streaming services and going back to cable because its cheaper....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Couldn't give a flying gently caress about sports and that's why I'm pumped for this future. Sports have long been the most pricy part of pay tv and I'm fine with leaving that to be paid for by the fans.

I'm the opposite, the only reason I really subscribe is for sports. And then it's almost entirely for just hockey. Wish I could get just my local RSN with like a 1 week/~12 hour DVR as a standalone sub. If it weren't for the stupid local team blackout rules I could just subscribe directly to the NHL.tv thing.

Like I have Youtube TV and set it to record all sorts of poo poo since you can, but I rarely watch any of it.