Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Grad school for me hasn’t been too hard, but I am slammed this week with final projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Grad school is probably twice as busy as undergrad. Except you know all your expectations well ahead of time but poo poo happens anyway and you end up sacrificing to the old gods to get your projects done.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Today, after giving a group presentation on drones and their commercial application, my business ethics teacher told us our very brief timeline of drone development should have included 9/11.

At least this time when discussing 9/11 she didn't talk about the Muslims celebrating in the streets.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Grad school is a second job, which you pay for the luxury of doing. In return, you get a higher base level of anxiety that permeates every waking day.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Lmao if they think they'll ever get me on a college campus for anything besides a football game, library or night at the theater ever again

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man is grad school just that rough or what? Every time someone mentions grad school it’s met with some arduous tone

It's not ridiculous but it is difficulty plus and time management is a huge issue, because it's less likely that you're living the chill student lifestyle while in postgrad.

A couple of people in our class are staying over in Thailand for another week after our trip and the rest of us were like "my god who has that much leave"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Law school loving sucks because you don't get your summers off, as it is expected that you will sign up for some internship where you work all summer minus a couple months, so ultimately it's three years of continuous legal work / education with only ~20 days off inbetween semesters and a week vacation for spring break and thanksgiving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Law school loving sucks because you don't get your summers off, as it is expected that you will sign up for some internship where you work all summer minus a couple months, so ultimately it's three years of continuous legal work / education with only ~20 days off inbetween semesters and a week vacation for spring break and thanksgiving.

You were warned.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I finished grad school a couple months ago, the last year was the best year of my adult life. YMMV

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I struggle with working full time and doing undergrad stuff with all of my free time. My life for the past year and a half has been work, school work, sleep. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though since I will finally have this degree by this summer.

Wassup no social life brother :(:respek::(

Graduation is so close I can taste it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

You were warned.

Better zip it or I'll sue you in approx 7 months

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 3, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the only bit of good news I've had recently, one of my finals is next Thursday instead of all of my finals being crammed into Monday and Tuesday like usual. So i will have all day Wednesday to work on that class and can focus on my circuits class this week.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Just submitted a final paper for a class I'm probably getting a D in.

poo poo sucks. :(

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Graduating in a couple weeks and I've already got a few professors bugging me about adjunct work while I re-take prereqs for PA school. I guess treating them like adults and bullshitting with them whenever I had the chance paid off.

Ochem and biochem are gonna suck donkey dick, though.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Graduating in a couple weeks and I've already got a few professors bugging me about adjunct work while I re-take prereqs for PA school. I guess treating them like adults and bullshitting with them whenever I had the chance paid off.

Ochem and biochem are gonna suck donkey dick, though.

Both of those are cool and good. :colbert:

Got my last final (inorganic chem) on Friday. Then I am free of undergrad.

Learned NASA is very fast to tell you no on job apps. :v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Aardvark posted:

Both of those are cool and good. :colbert:

Got my last final (inorganic chem) on Friday. Then I am free of undergrad.

Learned NASA is very fast to tell you no on job apps. :v:

what is your degree in?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

what is your degree in?

Chemistry. And almost a minor in math because I hate myself after the last couple math classes I took.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
HA! Final grade came back for the class from hell, I got a C!

No graduation delays for this guy!!!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Smashed my last final for undergrad. :feelsgood:

Now for NOAA to call me back!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Aardvark posted:

Congrats! I still have a semester left before I am finished.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Aardvark posted:

:nice:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Aardvark posted:

Oh man, sometimes I wish I could re-live that feeling. Not gonna lie tho everyone said I’d miss school once it was done, the routine and consistently. They weren’t wrong.

I don’t know who needs to hear this, but don’t skip the ceremony. I didn’t want to walk, etc, didn’t see the point. Did it for the family, and I’m glad I did, it was a great feeling.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mildly regret not walking, but OTOH the ceremony happened during finals while I was under a bunch of stress of being nervous about passing a hard class.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

One class left this semester then one more semester. I’m completely burned out. If it wasn’t a lockstep program, I’d take a semester break.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just got letters from the VA stating my GI bill housing allowance has been 131.70 too much per month since starting school, and they expect payment back. States that in January 2018 the rate changed to be BAH rate instead of GI bill rate per zip code, but "oops our bad" we paid you the GI bill rate even after the regulation changed.

One final gently caress you from the army :negative:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Queen Combat posted:

Just got letters from the VA stating my GI bill housing allowance has been 131.70 too much per month since starting school, and they expect payment back. States that in January 2018 the rate changed to be BAH rate instead of GI bill rate per zip code, but "oops our bad" we paid you the GI bill rate even after the regulation changed.

You should be able to contest the charges on the grounds that the overpayment error was not the result of anything you submitted but instead someone somewhere processing your claim. If you can make a case that repayment would be a severe burden on you financially they may waive it.

I’ve seen it happen for BAS overpayment while I was on ship. The admin office got audited and all of the Marines assigned to ships wound up owing thousands in overpayment. My claim was denied but anyone who could show that paying the money back would mean hardship got the repayment waived.

brains
May 12, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

my notice came simultaneously with another letter stating my request for waiving the collection was granted, which was interesting since i've never seen anything about this previously, let alone requested a waiver. apparently the VA automatically appealed on my behalf; you should see if they did the same for you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Queen Combat posted:

You should talk to someone from a VSO about ways to appeal cuz that sounds like some bullshit, particularly if you are dependent on BAH to pay for your housing.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Grad school plus kids.

CHALLENGE MODE ACTIVATED

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I finished my degree Saturday. I can’t relax till that grade gets posted on 1/8.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Finished nursing school on Friday. Passed. Just waiting for them to notify the board to let me test for the national registry.

E: board says they were notified this afternoon! Now just waiting on them to notify the testing site!

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 25, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Upcoming semester Professor weirdness indicator: 3 of the 4 upcoming sent syllabi 2 weeks ahead of time, 2 of them sent them on Christmas Eve, 1 of them talks about the homework due while we are in loving Korea, 1 of them flunks you if you miss a class, and two of them ban laptops in class, one of those doing so during a lengthy rant on a podcast he recorded for us.

And this is the semester I’m actually paying for.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lmao a podcast prof

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Congrats Holly Bloops and Queen Combat! I have a semester left and am eagerly anticipating having some semblance of free time again. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at least.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Student loan question: I'm expecting to graduate in May unless something super bad happens. Should I still file the upcoming FAFSA just in case something super bad happens?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yes.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I am in the exact same situation and for some reason feel anxious over the filing of a FAFSA and I have no idea why.

But here's to graduating in May :toot:

squelch
Mar 8, 2005

KILL KILL KILL HURR
Popped in here for first time in ages and see a lot of apprehension about grad school. I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m a MS student in computer engineering and I genuinely love it. The trick, in my eyes, is:

1) Get to know potential advisors as an undergraduate, if possible, and do research under them if possible.
2) Find and work under an advisor who works for you. Some advisors are slave drivers. Do not offer yourself as a slave.
3) If your grad degree involves a research component, like mine does, make sure you love what you’re researching. Doing it in undergrad helps you settle on this.

This isn’t gonna apply to everyone. Not everyone does research. IDK what you’re in for if you’re doing like an MBA but colleagues of mine doing that made it seem fairly straightforward.

As far as classes, I feel like my graduate classes (in engineering ) have been *easier* than undergrad. More reading, more research, less “memorize this list of dumb poo poo.” I was never good at memorizing lists of dumb poo poo. Final exams have been uncommon.

Since I do research, I get a desk in my advisors lab and my advisor has expressed willingness to spend thousands of dollars on equipment to help me chase down theories for my thesis. Make sure you find a cool advisor.

If people care I can talk about how I got an MS from nothing with 0 debt and using my very last month of Ch 33 MGIB as of December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I posted this in another thread, but I just realized this morning that I'm probably going to graduate with like a month and a half of benefits left and it just doesn't feel right.