Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
so deranged that it's hard not to admire it on some level, though i wish the insanity hadn't peaked so early (with the Rebel Wilson sequence).

also, was it just me, or was what's supposed to be the big soaring final verse of "Memory" ("Touch me/it's so easy to leave me", etc) drowned out by the orchestration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ghosthotel posted:

if all macavity wants to do is get to heaven then why don’t they just eat the L for a year and let him do it they wouldn’t have to worry about him after that

why am I thinking so much about the cats world

Now the rum tum tugger: he's a curious cat.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

FoneBone posted:

so deranged that it's hard not to admire it on some level, though i wish the insanity hadn't peaked so early (with the Rebel Wilson sequence).

also, was it just me, or was what's supposed to be the big soaring final verse of "Memory" ("Touch me/it's so easy to leave me", etc) drowned out by the orchestration?

Listening to the soundtrack version and it sounds fine, unless the mix is different in the theater.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The theater mix you can’t understand any lyric outside of the hell spiral of mr mestopholes and the stripped down Jennifer Hudson song. The mix is poo poo

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Ghosthotel posted:

if all macavity wants to do is get to heaven then why don’t they just eat the L for a year and let him do it they wouldn’t have to worry about him after that

It’s like in Dogma, if the Cat Pope lets the devil into heaven, it will destroy all reality.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

piratepilates posted:

Now you see, macavity: he's the mystery cat.

It's goatse in lyric form

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TremorX posted:

It's goatse in lyric form

skim
ble
shanks:
the
rail
way
cat

He's the railway cat, you see. The cat of the railway train.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Meinberg posted:

It’s like in Dogma, if the Cat Pope lets the devil into heaven, it will destroy all reality.

macavity is the real hero of this story

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/Daviesallison1A/status/1209555650314981376

do you think God stays in heaven because he too is afraid of what he has created?

:suicide:

at least hellraiser had the decency to bill itsself as a horror movie not some family entertainment for the xmas season

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 25, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

:suicide:

at least hellraiser had the decency to bill itsself as a horror movie not some family entertainment for the xmas season

The early 2000s quality of the roach dancer compositing and that camera rotation just adds to the disturbing surrealism, and then...! People often speak of Lynch's "dream logic" but this, this is nightmare logic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ghosthotel posted:

Just teleport yourself into the gondola, Macavity you idiot.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sound mix was fine in my theater. I'm fairly sure I did not get the patched version because we still had the furless hands, the wedding ring, and people's clothes very clearly floating off of their bodies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only other thing I can gather about all this is that it seems like Andrew Lloyd Webber is the “Artiste” stereotype that gets thrown around in other media. Probably not but between...making Cats and what I heard of Starlight Express it sure sounds like it

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 25, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Andrew Lloyd Webber once presented a TV talent show where contestants voted off had to kneel in front of his throne and present him their shoes while the remaining sang "So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen", that's all you need to know

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrew Lloyd Weber once claimed his cat deleted the entire musical score to Love Never Dies so he had to start over.

He also was a member of the house of lords and his only major activity was flying to London to vote to gently caress over the poor.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

TTBF posted:

Sound mix was fine in my theater. I'm fairly sure I did not get the patched version because we still had the furless hands, the wedding ring, and people's clothes very clearly floating off of their bodies.

I asked if the theater had the updated version and they said yes, but all this was still in. The rings changed or vanished/reappeared scene to scene but everything else - hands, hover clothes, eerily detached faces - was all in.

I think the truth may be that it’s just not fixable.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

josh04 posted:

Andrew Lloyd Webber once presented a TV talent show where contestants voted off had to kneel in front of his throne and present him their shoes while the remaining sang "So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen", that's all you need to know

From what I gathered over the years Andrew Lloyd Webber seems to be to theatre what Metallica is like to metal. They were popular back in the day, have undoubted successes and their influence is felt. But since then they pissed away a lot of goodwill by acting like holier than thou artistes who believe they define the craft while their current output declined hard in quality. Bring either up in their respective circles will get you some nasty flames and discussion in return.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Andrew Lloyd Weenie.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How many times is the right number of times to see cats?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

He also was a member of the house of lords and his only major activity was flying to London to vote to gently caress over the poor.

This was tax credits, they were afraid it wouldnt pass so jetted him back to vote.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Merry Catmas to all!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

discoukulele posted:

Merry Catmas to all!

noooooooo

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

discoukulele posted:

Merry Catmas to all!

I suppose foot fetishists pay a premium for this, making it free money for the studios if they put in a few foot shots.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

unironically rooting for Universal to save Cats' Rotten Tomato score

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If Bohemian Rhapsody can win best editing this should win every vfx award

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If Green Book won best picture this is in with a chance

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

lol

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

So much sexual energy, but so very hideous to look at

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life and proof that God hates us all

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think it’s proof that God loves us.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This is Showgirls by way of Shark Boy and Lava Girl.

It's a Christmas miracle.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I was just given half the day off so I'm off to be the most jellicle Rhino

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

did robotnik nudes ever return from his acid trip

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It is proof that there is no god only the devil

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
This is unquestionably the most fun I've had in a theater since seeing Mad Max: Fury Road and just like that movie my eyes were glued to the screen for every second of it's runtime. It is perfect, it is a lunatic disaster of the highest form, and I love it with all of my heart.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think it’s proof that God loves us.

yes, but in an Uncle Bad-Touch way.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

loving lmao that was one of the best films I'm watched while drinking beer smuggled in. Just the most fantastic batshit cinema. I'm annoyed by the vast numbers of extreme close ups and the confusing use of the shaky cam but all the weird poo poo are way more weird than they deserve to be. When they poured catnip on the cats, why do they actually show the main cat with her pupils dilated to point out "yes this cat is super drugged and high against her consent!" Why did the mice design come from the Tom n Jerry Era? Why are they shown more than once? Why does Idris Elba teleport with a large meow? Why did the last note of The Cats Song end with the a faint chorus of cats yowling? Why does it end with a 3 act monologue by judi dench cat? Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I am going all out with Gold Class for this movie, I can't wait. Give me brain damage for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

I got to see the version without the FX patches, since they didn't bother shipping it overseas. In a small way the missing CGI makes it better, since you visualise what the poor actors were doing on a sound stage. Its like how that leaked workprint of Wolverine is better than the finished movie.

The parts with Memory is so bad and proud of itself that it's offensive. Because Tom Hooper blatantly repeated his own gimmick from Les Mis. Les Mis is a bad movie, but the scene with I Dreamed a Dream was praised because it worked around Anne Hathaway's limitations as a singer. She acts the hell out of it and the static closeup gives her space to work.

Jennifer Hudson on the other hand, is a professional singer. There's no reason to compensate by zooming in on her face for 5 minutes. Just like there's no reason to make her try an English accent which interferes with the song. There's no emotion in her face because its covered in CGI. They added CGI boogers running down from her nose to her lips. I feel so bad for her.

They repeat the song three times because its the one people know the most. The second time is during the climax, but then it cuts to cat Judi Dench with a completely blank expression. Everyone in the theatre burst out laughing.

I feel so drained. I feel like its stopped me from thinking in a linear fashion. I wish I could describe it tersely. gently caress James Corden.

goodog fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 26, 2019