Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Filavandrel's story is a lot more depressing on the rewatch. He doesn't get a lot of pages in the main saga books, just a conversation with Francesca after she disowns the Squirrels, but Filavandrel would have been a Squirrel guerrilla, wouldn't he? So he did end up bringing his people down out of the mountains and got a lot of them killed fighting humans, just as Geralt said would happen. The Cintrian boy with the elf ears talked about his vengeance for Filavandrel's rebellion the year prior, which implies that the elves failed in their campaign.

I just finished watching episode 2 again earlier this evening. To piggy back on your post, Toruviel even alludes to this when she basically says there’s a whole new generation of young warriors ready to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A new generation doesn't mean much. "Young" elves are really rare after the Shaerawedd massacre.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

A new generation doesn't mean much. "Young" elves are really rare after the Shaerawedd massacre.

Also, the young elves are the only ones that can reproduce. After a certain age, no more being able to sire or bear children. They're killing off their own race by engaging in pointless battles.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, the young elves are the only ones that can reproduce. After a certain age, no more being able to sire or bear children.

That was the point. All the younger elves took up arms while the elderly ones were dying out. The elves hastened their own end on both sides and couldn’t see it until it was too late. Well, I think some saw it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ep6 :guys theres like ten, maybe even twelve of us, some of us even have armour, lets rush the dragon, the witcher, the sorceress and the two bad rear end amazons, we can totally take them

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This isn't GoT, and that's a good thing.

Casting for this show is pretty good, so if they want him to play Vesemir I'm all for it.

Geralt: Hmm
Dandelion: Hhgh
Guard: Ugh

:allears:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm mostly really liking this series, but the lighting really bothers me. The source material was so dark, but there's barely a shadow in the entire show. Forests are well-lit from multiple sources, corridors and rooms have "shadows" that are just slightly darker greys, browns, and blues, and night might as well be day. I've heard this can be a CGI thing with rendering blacks, but I feel like Game of Thrones never had this issue.

Insert Longest Night double entendre here.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I only played the Witcher 3 a bunch of years back, and I only went to Novigrad because the game is too long as an adult with responsibilities

Is it with finishing Witcher 3 before starting this?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rabid Snake posted:

Is it with finishing Witcher 3

Yes.

Rabid Snake posted:

before starting this?

No.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That double toasted review is fair, and quite entertaining, Imma watch them a bit more now.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't know if I want to directly compare this to GoT but I do know I like Henry and Dandelion actor guy more than any pair of characters in any season of GoT.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Non-book reader: ahh I see, Conjunction of the Spheres

After getting out the disappointment with the cheap look of the show and rewatching some of the episodes, I feel a lot more positive about the show. They got the principal characters right (Ciri remains to be seen, she doesn't really get a chance to develop her character till she's with Geralt and Yennefer). And I've been singing that drat Toss A Coin song all day yesterday. I hope they work in a lot more Dandelion songs or maybe bookend the episodes with them for season 2.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

I don't know if I want to directly compare this to GoT but I do know I like Henry and Dandelion actor guy more than any pair of characters in any season of GoT.

I’ve been trying to avoid it as well, but after that final episode I can’t help but think “Yennefer is a much better Daenerys.”

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

sticklefifer posted:

I'm mostly really liking this series, but the lighting really bothers me. The source material was so dark, but there's barely a shadow in the entire show. Forests are well-lit from multiple sources, corridors and rooms have "shadows" that are just slightly darker greys, browns, and blues, and night might as well be day. I've heard this can be a CGI thing with rendering blacks, but I feel like Game of Thrones never had this issue.

I didn't notice the lighting, but I thought the snow scenes needed CGI condensed breath. It doesn't look cold without it.

I guess it's all things you have to be looking for to notice though.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

GeekyManatee posted:

I’ve been trying to avoid it as well, but after that final episode I can’t help but think “Yennefer is a much better Daenerys.”

Ciri is a better comparison, I think. That said, I was really happy with Yennefer in this. She’s as important as Geralt in this despite his top billing.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Donnerberg posted:

I didn't notice the lighting, but I thought the snow scenes needed CGI condensed breath. It doesn't look cold without it.

I guess it's all things you have to be looking for to notice though.

The effects are great in this. They’re not perfect, and not as impressive as the last season of GOT, but that’s not fair. The first season of GOT looks absolutely shoestring in comparison.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yeah, you're right. Breathing smoke is just a little pet peeve of mine because The Terror forgot it as well, and that show that put a lot of effort into looking cold.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ciri was channelling Arya in the last few episodes I though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ciri and Eist had amazing cool-uncle chemistry in the first episode, and were impressively boring when they weren't on screen together.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ciri and Eist had amazing cool-uncle chemistry in the first episode, and were impressively boring when they weren't on screen together.
Hopefully that means she'll have good chemistry with Yen and Geralt, who definitely also have the potential to be "gross".

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
My wife and I watched this over the course of a few days this week. We've never read any of the books or played any of the games, although my wife is a huge sucker for lore/worldbuilding stuff so she bought some kinda Witcher lore book a while back and probably has watched Youtube videos about the series while doing her makeup in the mornings. Basically, all I knew about the series was characters named Geralt, Yennefer, and Triss existed. Anyway, we both really liked it. Cavill was fantastic, and Jaskier cracked us up all the time. At first, I kinda thought it was just doing a monster of the week thing with Ciri's plot stitching it together. My wife was the one first realized all the plotlines were happening at different times.

I guess now I'm gonna play Witcher 3 since it's in my Steam inventory and it'll be another year and a half before season 2 :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wincher 3 is very good game.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Geralt seems far too attached to Yen in too short a time period. Did I miss the time period fuckery obscuring that they’ve known each other for years before the djinn/third wish stuff? The Witcher 3 expects you to instantly treat Yen as the love of your life, despite her never being seen in Witcher 1 or 2, and Geralt making wishes about her and yelling abbreviations of her name in anguish after he’s seemingly known her for two hours in the show annoyed the poo poo out of me all over again. Rest of it was ok-to-good though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No you didnt. The dragon story is the second time Yennefer appears and in the show it plays out pretty similar to the books. The show doesn't adapt A Shard of Ice, which takes place after the dragon hunt and shows how complicated Geralt and Yen's relationship gets when they try to live together. After that both of them have a few trysts while they're on a break and then they meet again at a belletayn festival just before the Nilfgaardian invasion of Cintra where they try to break things off for good.

It doesn't work.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 25, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Torquemada posted:

Geralt seems far too attached to Yen in too short a time period. Did I miss the time period fuckery obscuring that they’ve known each other for years before the djinn/third wish stuff? The Witcher 3 expects you to instantly treat Yen as the love of your life, despite her never being seen in Witcher 1 or 2, and Geralt making wishes about her and yelling abbreviations of her name in anguish after he’s seemingly known her for two hours in the show annoyed the poo poo out of me all over again. Rest of it was ok-to-good though.

So, in the short story A Shard of Ice they live together for like five months and have a very intense and tumultuous affair where both get jealous of the other. This period ends with Geralt literally leaving a note on the table and disappearing for three years.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have a feeling they may adapt that in S2. Why else spend so much time on Istredd this season?

Yen and Geralt have a bigass period of being apart before she sends him the best letter ever upon his request for help with Ciri, which I hope they adapt word for word.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So my assessment is correct, Geralt is making wishes and whatnot after knowing her for two hours.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

So, in the short story A Shard of Ice they live together for like five months and have a very intense and tumultuous affair where both get jealous of the other. This period ends with Geralt literally leaving a note on the table and disappearing for three years.

Yen left the note, not Geralt. She dumped him and Istredd simultaneously.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well excuse me for having a terrible brain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

Well excuse me for having a terrible brain.

How dare you.

I don't think A Shard of Ice will be adapted as the main points from that story were covered at the end of episode 6 and the start of episode 8. I do wonder if they'll keep Istredd around or not. I actually quite like the guy they got to play him and it's not like he had much to do in the books beside make Geralt mope even more.

I do think that they could adapt A Little Sacrifice for an episode where someone asks Geralt if he ever loved someone other than Yennefer. Then they could do his Little Mermaid meets Cthulhu story and get another song from Jaskier.

In fact given the slower nature of Blood of Elves they could intercut some more of Geralt's adventures with Ciri's training. I mean what really all happens in Blood of Elves?
Ciri trains at Kaer Morhen while Geralt and Triss bone for a while, then Yennefer sends her "dear friend" note saying "yeah I'm alive you two timing bastard, fine I'll teach Ciri. Then Geralt and Ciri are attacked on the road by Squirrels, then he drops her off in Ellander and goes to Oxenfurt to bang Shani, kill some monster harassing a ferry crossing, and Philippa hires him to take care of some assassins. The only other thing that really happens is the meeting of the Northern Monarchs to plan a preemptive strike against Nilfgaard. You could pretty easily slot in a few more of the short stories to spread out the season a bit more.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 25, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

See that's why I don't like the story structure they decided on. Stories like the Beauty and the Beast one or the Little Mermaid one are straight one-shot episodes that have nothing to do with the plot arc. And they are really good. Also The End of the World with the devil and the elves is a fun comedy story that they butchered to fit it into twenty minutes in episode 2.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

So my assessment is correct, Geralt is making wishes and whatnot after knowing her for two hours.

And in a plot adapted from a story called the Last Wish, he only makes two out of his three wishes :argh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

davidspackage posted:

And in a plot adapted from a story called the Last Wish, he only makes two out of his three wishes :argh:

He also wishes for some peace and quiet at the start.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

davidspackage posted:

He makes all three of them. He wishes for some quiet when Dadelion is pestering him, resulting in the horrible throat sickness that affects the bard; he wishes for the jailor to burst; and then he wishes to never be able to lose Yennefer.

E: fb.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I can't get that loving song out of my head and it's driving me insane, the lyrics are awful but it's such a goddamn earworm

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc Geralt's wish is something to tie their fates together, so one can't die until the other does, so she won't get consumed by the djinn's power/killed when the building collapses.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guildencrantz posted:

I can't get that loving song out of my head and it's driving me insane, the lyrics are awful but it's such a goddamn earworm

He thrusts every elf,
Far back on the shelf

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also wishes for some peace and quiet at the start.

That Italian Guy posted:

He makes all three of them. He wishes for some quiet when Dadelion is pestering him, resulting in the horrible throat sickness that affects the bard; he wishes for the jailor to burst; and then he wishes to never be able to lose Yennefer.

E: fb.

...gently caress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yen is annoying. Triss was tolerable. Shani was the only correct love option in Witcher 3, but she's too good for Geralt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Wincher 3 is very good game.

Fantastic game. I need to pick it up again and finish it.