Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got reported for drunkposting in a forum that I mod (in my gang thread no less!!!) a couple years ago and I'm still not 100% if the reporter was joking or not

Drunk reporting is a time honoured tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

People enjoying things is pretty neat.

I don't even get angry at people that like fortnite etc. 2 years ago I'd probably be like, "that game sucks and you should feel bad!" but now it's more like "hell yeah, if you're having fun I don't see the harm :unsmith:" and it's just nice that someone is smiling at some point because we all live in a hellworld

Hell yeah, you enjoy the wrestling! I don't know anything about it, complete blindspot, but my lack of experience shouldn't invalidate your enjoyment, y'know?

I don't know the communities for MOBAs and battle royales are so toxic that I'm automatically suspicious of anyone who wants to be a part of one.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

I don't know the communities for MOBAs and battle royales are so toxic that I'm automatically suspicious of anyone who wants to be a part of one.

:v:
I mean, yeah. Obviously. punch nazis all day every day. My examples were groups that aren't hurting anybody. I don't care that my 35 year old boss who doesn't play video games is really into fortnite. Hell yeah dude, if you enjoy it, go for it! It's your money and time and who am I to poo poo all over it because I might think there's a "better" way to spend time, y'know?

This isn't a "shhh let people enjoy things" destruction-of-critical-thought, it's just a "yeah okay cool, you go for it dude" moment. I've found that I spend less time angry if I let a lot of poo poo I used to get mad online about go.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah furries are weird but they're generally really nice people

i feel like most of the hate comes from being aware of them, but never having interacted with them

I feel like the furry hate was very much a product of it's time: back when we were hating on furries was also a time when the world at large was regressive towards LGBT people and sexuality at large. Now that many of us are a bit more sex-positive and LGBT friendly, fetishes such as that aren't such a stretch to accept.

I've especially found a new appreciation of them in 2019: furries are pretty decent at self-policing nazifurs out of the community, and I personally witnessed a furry chasing Nazi's away from my protest group when we were countering a fascist demo (in full costume, by weaponizing the threat of furhugs). I can be cool with that, given the Nazi alternative.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m glad we don’t ban furries on sight anymore, if for no other reason that we used to do the same for drunkposting and I’d be on like my 20th rereg if that was still a crime

Drunk posting was only really bannable if it was of the HGEY GIUS I''M SO DRNKU NOW LOLZZZZ kind. If you could still form complete sentences and thoughts while totally tanked then nobody would really notice. I've drunk posted a lot over the years and know I'm not the only one. The main reason it was bannable was because of how many people would get really tanked and then only post about how drunk they were in horribly mangled posts that only vaguely resembled actual human communication. "You probably shouldn't post while drunk" is still a generally good rule to follow but if you're so drunk that you aren't even sure what you're saying anymore then why are you that drunk in the first place?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Are other Kin still a thing

I remember there were people who were Kin of people alive like, Aaron Carter

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"You probably shouldn't post while drunk" is still a generally good rule to follow but if you're so drunk that you aren't even sure what you're saying anymore then why are you that drunk in the first place?

I'll thank you not to tell me how to deal with the void in my soul :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Furries are still goddamn weirdos but they aren't actively malicious weirdos so whatever.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Turns out we’re not so yifferent after all

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Otherkin are still around, and so are factkin (as people that identify with real people are called). Nowadays, people also just use kin to mean "I identify with (aspects of) this fictional character" as opposed to "I am this character" and I'm pretty sure people like that are embarrassed by people who claim they're the real Aaron Carter or whatever the gently caress.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got reported for drunkposting in a forum that I mod (in my gang thread no less!!!) a couple years ago and I'm still not 100% if the reporter was joking or not

Damnit I can't report you for shits and giggles

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

otherkin tended to just be teens with loads of trauma trying to escape from their world. some were just weirdos. they still exist but as Wes said, it’s usually said as a joking way meaning that you relate to them

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Lol i tried the same thing

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hedrigall posted:

:kiss:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Im Lowtaxkin

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

watho posted:

otherkin tended to just be teens with loads of trauma trying to escape from their world. some were just weirdos. they still exist but as Wes said, it’s usually said as a joking way meaning that you relate to them

This is also true. The people that I've met who do take it more seriously almost invariably went through a lot of trauma, and it's more of a coping mechanism for them.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I got mildly interested in otherkin stuff back when I had a Livejournal about fifteen years ago. I can still definitely still see the appeal of being a dragon or an elf rather than a human, given how the human world is, especially to wretched unhappy people who feel knocked about and bruised by real life. There's the same appeal to the kinds of paganism that involves magical rituals. Some of the people involved with it are not going to react rationally to "magic isn't real lol" because, as far as they're concerned, magic needs to be real because otherwise reality is unbearable.

Of course, some other people get involved in these communities to take advantage of these vulnerable people - and many of the latter are very young and/or not sensible enough to notice a horrible predator on their own. I suppose that goes for all manner of communities though.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ToxicSlurpee posted:

but if you're so drunk that you aren't even sure what you're saying anymore then why are you that drunk in the first place?

I agree with your post but this last part makes no loving sense wtf

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I wasn’t

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Drunk modding is my M/O

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I think otherkin just decided that was too much work and are regular furries now. Same with tulpas.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

Drunk modding is my M/O

tbh I assumed being drunk was a requirement of the job.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lol i tried the same thing

:argh: ruffians

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hedrigall posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DicktheCat posted:

I'm an artist, and furries have been great to me, but holy moley. Just recently, I asked for a ref from a client, and she posted multi-titted, multi-dicked fetish art to me, only asking if I was ok with nsfw AFTER she sent it. poo poo had AT LEAST three dicks, one of them being a tongue, and so many goddamned boobies. Just a row of em.
i acknowledge you being a one dick cat.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I think otherkin just decided that was too much work and are regular furries now. Same with tulpas.

Weren't tulpas mostly a brony thing? I think furries look down on them to this day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eox posted:

Weren't tulpas mostly a brony thing? I think furries look down on them to this day.

There's a lot of overlap, disputed zones and incredibly stupid drama. I'm still pretty sure a lot of bronies are Sonic fans and weeaboos who brought all their bad habits with them.

Tulpas are more a general waifu thing for people who've so given up on the idea of human interaction they try to induce schizophrenia to have unconditional company.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Queen Combat posted:

This isn't a "shhh let people enjoy things" destruction-of-critical-thought, it's just a "yeah okay cool, you go for it dude" moment. I've found that I spend less time angry if I let a lot of poo poo I used to get mad online about go.

this also makes the angry online people more understandable. better to be angry all the time than just empty

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Post/avatar combo

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

They are an out furry, so yeah

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Eox posted:

Tulpas are a concept from Buddhism that's very hard to pin down without delving DEEP into ~2500 years of Buddhist philosophy. Bronies just hijacked the word to mean "imaginary friend" and then spent years making GBS threads up Wikipedia about it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would wager that most of the cumjar tulpa caretakers got the idea from that X-Files episode and took off running from there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Eox posted:

Tulpas are the new go-to for cryptid hunters to explain why, for example, we've never seen a dead Bigfoot.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sweevo posted:

Tulpas are a concept from Buddhism that's very hard to pin down without delving DEEP into ~2500 years of Buddhist philosophy. Bronies just hijacked the word to mean "imaginary friend" and then spent years making GBS threads up Wikipedia about it.

More like imaginary horse waifu but p much

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

More like imaginary horse waifu but p much

ah, Crusader Kings

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The furries of old were inserting furrydom and weird fetish poo poo in every conversation because they were primarily young people substituting "being a kinky furry" for "having an actual personality". Folks like that still exist out on tumblr/twitter, etc. SA avoids them because it has a combination of an older userbase and strong moderation discouraging that sort of posting.

The furries seem to be doing their best to kick out the nazifurs, so once they get rid of the diaperfurs (at absolute best, extremely pedophile adjacent), they'll be doing better than most niche internet communities.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tulpas are more a general waifu thing for people who've so given up on the idea of human interaction they try to induce schizophrenia to have unconditional company.

JFC, lol.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The furries of old were inserting furrydom and weird fetish poo poo in every conversation because they were primarily young people substituting "being a kinky furry" for "having an actual personality". Folks like that still exist out on tumblr/twitter, etc. SA avoids them because it has a combination of an older userbase and strong moderation discouraging that sort of posting.

The furries seem to be doing their best to kick out the nazifurs, so once they get rid of the diaperfurs (at absolute best, extremely pedophile adjacent), they'll be doing better than most niche internet communities.

Ah. They’re like beer people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trevor Hale posted:

Ah. They’re like beer people.

Not at all, I'd say they're more like ale people specifically. You see,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Eox posted:

they predated bronies but i think soulbonded was a more common name for it at the time