Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I remember a thread on the scifi subreddit where a woman was looking for a starting point to get in to science fiction and multiple people recommended Heinlein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Reddit rec threads are like 75% Sanderson and Abercrombie and Erikson, even when the OP mentions they've already read those lol

I picked up the Vandermeer's Big Book of Classic Fantasy which is weird as a paperback but excited to delve in, anyone have any favorite stories from it? It has my fave Fafhrd & Mouser story which is cool and a good selection

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

I remember a thread on the scifi subreddit where a woman was looking for a starting point to get in to science fiction and multiple people recommended Heinlein

Yeah, there are quite a few people around who think that Heinlein's YA novels are still the best intro to SF.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cardiac posted:

I just found it easier to not give a poo poo about the gender of the author.
Why limit yourself?

You've missed the point entirely.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Reddit rec threads are like 75% Sanderson and Abercrombie and Erikson, even when the OP mentions they've already read those lol

I picked up the Vandermeer's Big Book of Classic Fantasy which is weird as a paperback but excited to delve in, anyone have any favorite stories from it? It has my fave Fafhrd & Mouser story which is cool and a good selection

Yeah, it's a problem. And it's so frustrating because like, I enjoy some Malazan, I'd like to read some Abercrombie and such - but please god stop recommending the same ten authors over and over again.

As for your request lemme look at the table o' contents - wait, since when did Tolstoy write genre fiction? Also the ER Eddison oughta be good.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

In 2018 I set a rule that I'd only read SFF by women and holy poo poo, do it, it was an awesome year where I discovered a ton of awesome and underappreciated writers.

Last year a colleague of mine read Planetfall by Emma Newman and recommended. When we discussed the book he said "it's nice to read a science fiction book by a women! All the science fiction authors I know are men" and he looked very surprised when I disagreed and started naming female sci fi authors. There are lots and they're very good, it's just bizarre how there are still plenty of science fiction fans who somehow manage to only read books by male authors.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Selachian posted:

Yeah, there are quite a few people around who think that Heinlein's YA novels are still the best intro to SF.

They are

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cardiac posted:

I just found it easier to not give a poo poo about the gender of the author.
Why limit yourself?

When an explorer sails to unknown places, they "limit" themselves in the sense that they are cut off from the familiar. They lack their usual support and their usual resources, they cannot share a beautiful moment with a lover or tell a story to a friend. They do this because they understand that in exchange for this limitation, they have the opportunity to see something entirely new to their experience.

It is unwise to call this a limitation. It is accepting the cost of exchanging one set of opportunities (the comforting and familliar) for another (the new, the unexpected joy, the hidden wonder) by taking a risk.

The reward is knowledge.

This is why we boldly go.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
“I don’t pay attention to gender/race” readers surrender their choice to those upstream who choose which books to publicize and talk about, and, inevitably, end up with shelves full of white men. The prototypic default is a powerful force.

The stats on “race blind” hiring are even more depressing of course.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Say what you will about reddit, /r/Fantasy does try.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Marketing guff.

They are not bad, sometimes good, space opera.

I just read the fifth one, it's a bit emo but still worth the time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

branedotorg posted:

Marketing guff.

I enjoyed the first chapter - the writing inside the book is good. I'm just astounded at how terrible the marketing for this book is. Comparing it to Star Wars isn't doing it any favors with me.

Also I'm suffering (again) from too many books syndrome. I should put some of what I've got away, but I want to read everything I've got...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah its funny and I noticed that too. I'll occasionally look for 'books like X' to find something else to read and I'll always stumble into reddit threads where regardless of the title in question they recommend the same poo poo over and over.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

branedotorg posted:

Marketing guff.

This https://www.amazon.com/Son-Trickster-trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01FPGTRXE/ goes down as the worst back copy I’ve ever read for a good book. I read it so close to Trail of Lightning I can’t help compare the two, and personally liked this one more, even though it’s less fantastic fantasy. Its pitch-black humor and slice-of-lovely-reserve-life spoke to me. And, oh hey, the Kindle version is on sale.

The description for book two does a much better job of conveying the tone of the series (a bit spoilery) https://www.amazon.com/Trickster-Drift-trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B07B75LFTX/

I can’t wait for book three.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

When an explorer sails to unknown places, they "limit" themselves in the sense that they are cut off from the familiar. They lack their usual support and their usual resources, they cannot share a beautiful moment with a lover or tell a story to a friend. They do this because they understand that in exchange for this limitation, they have the opportunity to see something entirely new to their experience.

It is unwise to call this a limitation. It is accepting the cost of exchanging one set of opportunities (the comforting and familliar) for another (the new, the unexpected joy, the hidden wonder) by taking a risk.

The reward is knowledge.

This is why we boldly go.

i was kind of with it until this post. congrats. you made me embarrassed to read genre fiction where seas of poorly written trash did not.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Larry Parrish posted:

i was kind of with it until this post. congrats. you made me embarrassed to read genre fiction where seas of poorly written trash did not.

And glancing at your rap sheet and posting history is making me proud to have embarrassed you, friend. Goonspeed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
NGL, sounds like you are trying to talk your girlfriend into trying anal.

"You just need to ignore your 'limitations' and think of it more of an 'opportunity' to experience joy, and let me boldly go, into your rear end in a top hat"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

NGL, sounds like you are trying to talk your girlfriend into trying anal.

"You just need to ignore your 'limitations' and think of it more of an 'opportunity' to experience joy, and let me boldly go, into your rear end in a top hat"

Have you guys just been at the eggnog tonight or what? I'm explaining why I find it valuable to read outside your comfort zone. You know how sometimes you add new rules to a game to make it more interesting? Like that. It's a choice. Nobody's making you. There will not be a test later.

Remember this conversation started when someone questioned the value of reading outside your comfort zone. Those of us who choose to do so are explaining why, as requested.

If you associate that with someone trying to cajole you into nonconsensual butt-touching, well... I can't help you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kesper North posted:

And glancing at your rap sheet and posting history is making me proud to have embarrassed you, friend. Goonspeed.

Having to delve into someone's rap sheet because they posted a mean thing about you is very interesting

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Having to delve into someone's rap sheet because they posted a mean thing about you is very interesting

It's a great way to answer the question of "Is this person a perennial shithead or are they just having an off day?"

Also sometimes a person's post history just makes their rap sheet sound like it'll be funny reading.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Last time I read a female author she turned out to be a centrist and a terf to boot so I'll stick with what I know.

Authors so odious and loud about their views there is no doubt that they are awful and there is nothing to be learned from their writings.

E: sarcasm is here^^^

Going out of your way to read authors that aren't white men is good, and if you're worried about not liking what you read that's what libraries are for.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 25, 2019

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Happy holidays thread.

Best intro to science fiction for a new to the scifi genre reader is probably short story anthologies, like Vandermeer's recent mega scifi anthology or one of Gardner Dozois's (RIP) Years Best anthologies. Would never recommend Heinlein to a new to the scifi genre reader(Heinlein was creepy even in his YA stories), I'd recommend Van Vogt's Voyage of the Space Beagle instead. Voyage of the Space Beagle is made up of 4 standalone stories that could easily be/have been adapted into a scifi movie series or a standalone episode of scifi tv series.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Groke posted:

Mostly; there's at least one book which switches annalists partway through (and briefly to someone who is hilariously borderline illiterate). And then there's that one book where the POV has got some kind of unstuck-in-space-and-time thing going on.

Also (although it's been ages since I read them) many of the books share one particular guy's POV.

Lol it’s One-Eye who takes over for a bit and it’s hilarious

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

OK. About a year ago I decided I wanted to read more female SF authors. Since then I've read some novels by Le Guin (The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed) and Murderbots, of course... and that's about it. Help me get back on this train. I prefer harder SF but will settle for anything good. I've been meaning to check out Cherryh since she's brought up regularly but have no idea where to start.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Cherryh is really loving good but all the Cherryh I’ve read is stuff people say not to start with. Cyteen maybe?

I’m still curious whether the military/technological side of new BSG was at all inspired by her.

e: she’s also queer if you’re looking to read more queer authors

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sextro posted:

Last time I read a female author she turned out to be a centrist and a terf to boot

Name???

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

JK Rowling

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Last time I read a female author was Harry Potter" is a hell of a thing.

Catfishing on Catnet is a good and cool YA/Tor Teen book and a sequel to Cat Pictures Please. It's largely focused on a kid rather than the AI but there's plenty of danger and animal pictures and road trips and reprogramming a sex ed robot to actually answer questions rather than saying "talk to your parents" about anything other than straight abstinence.

Eliezer Yudkowsky would probably not approve.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Palmer, Bujold (I much prefer her fantasy over her SF), Willis (Early better than later). Czernada and Kress. In fantasy, Susanna Clarke.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Cherryh is really loving good but all the Cherryh I’ve read is stuff people say not to start with. Cyteen maybe?

I’m still curious whether the military/technological side of new BSG was at all inspired by her.

e: she’s also queer if you’re looking to read more queer authors

I've read some of the Chanur books and the first two Foreigner trilogies recently. Foreigner is probably more immediately accessible and better for light reading, but I'm finding Chanur to be more interesting.

I think I would suggest Foreigner to somebody who likes stuff like the Vorkosigan books, and Chanur to somebody who likes more sciencey stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

C.M. Kruger posted:

I think I would suggest Foreigner to somebody who likes stuff like the Vorkosigan books

Really? I'd go more prog rock, I think :dadjoke:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

OK. About a year ago I decided I wanted to read more female SF authors. Since then I've read some novels by Le Guin (The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed) and Murderbots, of course... and that's about it. Help me get back on this train. I prefer harder SF but will settle for anything good. I've been meaning to check out Cherryh since she's brought up regularly but have no idea where to start.

Becky Chambers. It's more character based than hard SF, but good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mr. Peepers posted:

read China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F McHugh. Octavia Butler is also fantastic.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

How has no one recommended Bujold yet if we're discussing good female sci-fi authors. Also seconding the Chambers nomination.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm apparently late to the party I started, but I chose to read only women because I noticed I'd only read men in the previous year. I was working in publishing at the time and I know what the actual author demographics look like (it slants lightly female to very female, genre depending), so it was sorta bizarre that I wasn't reading any women.

Not my choice or anything, just by inertia: all the stuff that gets recommended to me is like, the same five dudes over and over again and I wanted to force myself to change things up. I had a great time and discovered a bunch of authors I wouldn't have otherwise, so I call it a win.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

How has no one recommended Bujold yet if we're discussing good female sci-fi authors. Also seconding the Chambers nomination.

I'll also second the Bujold rec, also in the fantasy vein, Robin Hobb.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

C.M. Kruger posted:

I've read some of the Chanur books and the first two Foreigner trilogies recently. Foreigner is probably more immediately accessible and better for light reading, but I'm finding Chanur to be more interesting.

I think I would suggest Foreigner to somebody who likes stuff like the Vorkosigan books, and Chanur to somebody who likes more sciencey stuff.
Chanur sounds more my style, I'll start with that.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Becky Chambers. It's more character based than hard SF, but good.
I'm guessing tuck right into her Wayfarers series?

professor metis posted:

read China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F McHugh. Octavia Butler is also fantastic.
Added to the list. While looking up Octavia Butler I found Lilith's Brood: The Complete Xenogenesis Trilogy free with Prime.

Ferrosol posted:

Should I start with Shards of Honor? I'd prefer self-contained books or shorter series to a sprawling dozen-book narrative but if I can just read the first few and get a satisfying experience then I'm down.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yup, the Wayfarers series is where you want to be.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Joan Vinge's The Snow Queen
Mary Gentle's Golden Witchbreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ferrosol posted:

Bujold is amazing and I really got into her this year. I prefer the fantasy Challion series to the Sci-Fi Vorksagian Saga but it's the difference between rating books 10/10 or 9/10.