Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Watched the first episode of Christmas Carol, it was decent enough that I’ll watch the next.

Basically this. A lot darker than I was expecting, and a bit slow. Andy Serkis was great, as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was slow. It felt padded.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

njsykora posted:

Christmas Day on C4, followed by The Snowdog.

Also Channel 4 aren't doing an alternative Queen's Speech this year which says something about how much people care about it. They have Back to the Future on instead which is massively preferable.

They do, it's John Bercow and it's on before BTTF. And then for some reason a Kylie Minogue themed night?

It feels like a lot more prestige shows are going out in early Jan rather than Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day this year. I reckon either they know that big TV viewing is not guaranteed on Christmas anymore, or they're pushing things into 2020 for budget reasons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

reality_groove posted:

They do, it's John Bercow and it's on before BTTF. And then for some reason a Kylie Minogue themed night?

It feels like a lot more prestige shows are going out in early Jan rather than Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day this year. I reckon either they know that big TV viewing is not guaranteed on Christmas anymore, or they're pushing things into 2020 for budget reasons.

Fair enough, I didnt see it on their TV guide.

It feels a lot like whats been happening in videogames for years now. The Christmas period has gotten so full of massive names that a lot of stuff gets shoved into Jan-Mar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did someone say Masterchef?

Sorry, I'm a crude American so hearing "nothing like a scrumptious human being in a dark wet sauce" makes me laugh.

Really though it's the best reality cooking competition show of all time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I enjoy Masterchef but there's something about the professionals one that's a bit too dry.
The same went for the professional bakeoff, it just doesn't click for me.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

goatface posted:

Jesus, just how bad is the US version?

I only remember the episode when a contestant said something racist and Trump lost his poo poo and threw them out of the show. For real....

Now, the "racist" thing, was a white person describing themselves, or maybe their own family, as "white trash". Said in a totally lighthearted, self depricating way, but Trump reacted like they'd said death to whitey or some such.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

crispix posted:

Like dis op

My god what a loving weird image

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

There was one episode of US apprentice that I watched that I wished would happen over here.

One team did so badly, he had 4 people from the losing team come back to the boardroom and fired all of them. It was beautiful.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Taear posted:

The same went for the professional bakeoff, it just doesn't click for me.

What I like about the professional bake-off is
1. They swear a lot more
2. Professional butter never fails to make me laugh as a concept
3. When they do the technical challenge (which they introduced in the most recent season), it shows you that actually, they aren't all that better than the amateurs when they aren't making the same thing the same way for the 100,000th time. This is further improved by point 1.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

1. They swear a lot more
3. When they do the technical challenge (which they introduced in the most recent season), it shows you that actually, they aren't all that better than the amateurs when they aren't making the same thing the same way for the 100,000th time. This is further improved by point 1.

It's just not as happy, you know? That's what I like about it.

Tsietisin posted:

There was one episode of US apprentice that I watched that I wished would happen over here.

One team did so badly, he had 4 people from the losing team come back to the boardroom and fired all of them. It was beautiful.

I said it upthread but they should just make the apprentice a sort of team non-celebrity taskmaster with a prize at the end. Forget all this pretending it's anything to do with business at all.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tsietisin posted:

It's kind of amazing how Trump just kind of scaled up the act he did on that show to his act as President of the US :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

crispix posted:

It's kind of amazing how Trump just kind of scaled up the act he did on that show to his act as President of the US :psyduck:

He has never not been a massive arsehole.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

DaWolfey posted:

1. They swear a lot more

They are also team-based, so the dynamics are quite fun - especially when one of them bites off way more than they can chew and their teammate starts telling them "told you so".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christmas loving carol: about as subtle and nuanced as a chair leg to the face.

It's not bad, but I think they'd be better off detaching it from the name and just producing a horror story in a Dickensian style.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
BBC going with Murder on the Orient Express followed immediately by Death on the Nile on BBC2.

Presumably there'll also be the annual killing spree on Eastenders tomorrow to look forward to.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tsietisin posted:

The one episode I remember is maybe the finale from the first season: in typical bullshit style they were trying to sell chocolate bars on the street for extortionate money.

One team of 2 blonde women - they dressed identically, acted a bit flirty and were making a killing.

One team of 2 guys and an Asian woman. After seeing the other team’s tactics and getting pissed off, the woman thought it’d be a good idea to show people her underwear on the proviso that they paid a certain amount.

Turns out not.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I think it's quite telling how often people on these shows resort to getting their bits out to win. I remember an episode of the UK one where they had to sell fruit and iirc all bar one person on the women's team acted like they were on some kind of dry wet t-shirt competition.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlt2coPFpM0

I am so happy Taskmaster is now available officially on YouTube. such a delight to rewatch this series.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goatface posted:

It's not bad, but I think they'd be better off detaching it from the name and just producing a horror story in a Dickensian style.

No point ever making a new adaptation of it because the Muppets perfected it. It's the new canon Christmas Carol.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Someone should adapt Terry Pratchett's Dodger

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goatface posted:

You'd miss the glory of Guy Pearce saying "humbug" repeatedly with a straight face.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also they seem to be making scrooge have some sort of autism/add which is really weird and kind of fucks the message

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
The thing that's always bugged me about a lot of Christmas Carol films is that the turn from nasty fuckface to generous saint comes way to suddenly.

Like, in a lot of versions Scrooge in an unrepenting rear end in a top hat until he's told he's going to die (alone) and then he's like "welp, time to repent". He's old, and an rear end in a top hat, i'm not sure why dying would be a) a surprise to him or b) a reason to start giving a poo poo about others.

I've never read the book but is it a lot more subtle and fleshed out throughout the story?

I guess i'm just not sure how the super grim dark BBC version can pull off the turn without it seeming weird or schizophrenic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It is very weird. The bit with him counting out every single noise in the street reminds me of some of the people I know who are on the spectrum, but also one who has OCD issues. He seems off somehow, and it makes the spectres feel like they're bullying him for things he just doesn't understand.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Kin posted:

The thing that's always bugged me about a lot of Christmas Carol films is that the turn from nasty fuckface to generous saint comes way to suddenly.

Like, in a lot of versions Scrooge in an unrepenting rear end in a top hat until he's told he's going to die (alone) and then he's like "welp, time to repent". He's old, and an rear end in a top hat, i'm not sure why dying would be a) a surprise to him or b) a reason to start giving a poo poo about others.

I've never read the book but is it a lot more subtle and fleshed out throughout the story?

I guess i'm just not sure how the super grim dark BBC version can pull off the turn without it seeming weird or schizophrenic.

Most adaptations stick fairly closely to the beats of Scrooges journey from the original story, his turnaround is that quick.
The original story is quite short, certainly not a massive novel.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goatface posted:

It is very weird. The bit with him counting out every single noise in the street reminds me of some of the people I know who are on the spectrum, but also one who has OCD issues. He seems off somehow, and it makes the spectres feel like they're bullying him for things he just doesn't understand.

I felt that at first, but then it seems like it’s him counting to make his complaint to the council. He’s one of those people where everything is quantified in terms of shillings and pence and he’s very clearly buying someone’s time rather than their output.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress James Corden and Ruth Jones for deciding they really needed to put all of Fairytale of New York in and gently caress BBC One for airing it

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress James Corden and Ruth Jones for deciding they really needed to put all of Fairytale of New York in and gently caress BBC One for airing it

Really? It really seems to have triggered a lot of people but Not the ending you take issue with?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The ending is some plot poo poo, the FToNY scene felt like every tweet about people taking pleasure in singing that bit writ large, especially as they didn't actually do the whole song - it fades out immediately after. Bit poo poo, weird angle for the "family" comedy to go in on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would I be offended by some lame twist ending over normalising the worst slur for gay people on what will no doubt be the most-watched show in the country on Christmas Day

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Escobarbarian posted:

Why would I be offended by some lame twist ending over normalising the worst slur for gay people on what will no doubt be the most-watched show in the country on Christmas Day

I didn’t see it, but am curious now, could some one let me know what happened (in spoiler tags)?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Catzilla posted:

I didn’t see it, but am curious now, could some one let me know what happened (in spoiler tags)?
Ending was just a cliffhanger. Presumably for more specials down the line. Not sure why anyone would be bothered by that if they'd watched the show in the past.

So Escobarbarian is referring to when Rob Brydon and Ruth Jones' characters performed "A Fairytale of New York" and included the entire second verse.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Surely the jokes of them arriving at that part and getting awkward write themselves? But then I am not the professional comedy writer of comedy program Gavin and Stacey with comedian James Corden.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gavin and Stacey was extremely poo poo.

They're not shagging! Here's a speech and some matches! Storyline resolved!

Smithy's mystery girlfriend makes him act like a dick and he's still ending up in bed with Nessa at every opportunity, whatever.

Something about Bryn cooking a lot of dinner. Actually not something, nothing.

Pete and Dawn are breaking up, no they're not, haha old people taking a drugs and dancing.

Christmas song with unnecessary hate speech.

Will we find out about the fishing trip??!!!!? no

Just very very very pointless.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I enjoyed it.
They're probably going to do a season 4 from what they've said on Twitter.

Also for those who have played Dragon Quest 11 in English - Smithy's girlfriend was Jade in that. Weird.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I was enjoying it up to Fairytale but it can piss off for that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I don’t... what?

https://twitter.com/finallevel/status/1209917855493345281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gavin and Stacey got over 12m viewers, so I'm sharing this cursed vision of the future.
https://twitter.com/BothersBar/status/1210133538584059904