Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As much as everyone likes the Victorinox it looks kinda janky for a gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That is an interesting read. The fact that they bounce around so much makes me wonder how suitable they are for pressure canning.

This review sums up my concerns about canning in one of these. They keep telling you to follow the National Center for Food Preservation recipes but don't provide the tools needed to follow them accurately (a pressure gauge to confirm the machine's performance?).

I can't imagine what you'd actually want to can in it though. 4 x half quart jars is a fart in a windstorm for any serious canner. I have a low sugar jam recipe that might work but it doesn't need pressure - a boiling water bath is fine.

I hope their canning work with McGill University goes well. I will probably buy one eventually and it might be useful for re-processing that one jar in a batch that didn't seal properly the first time without firing up the 24 quart canner again.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My tiny sister wants a new knife for christmas. She has been using a (probably) 5" version of this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C7...76538837&sr=8-5 for forever, but it's time for a grown up knife now. She prefers the santoku shape and smaller size as she has small hands. She's a perfectly good everyday sort of cook, but isn't going to need to slice tomatoes paper thin or debone a chicken or anything wild. Budget not really a huge issue-$100? would be nice but if an extra $50 made a huge difference I'd spring for it. I've been very happy with my Wusthof knives and they make a santoku style-are they any good or is there something else I should be looking at? She mentioned she'd used a friend's Shun and liked it, but I know nothing about them.

I really like Tojiro for mid-ranged knives, they punch above their weight for the price. While I don’t have any experience with their santoku, their chef’s knife is excellent and easily my single best kitchen tool.

Here’s their santoku: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UAPQEA/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Someone gave me a Pampered Chef santoku. It has a decent edge, and while it gets some use, it's obscenely heavy. Especially compared to my Victorinox.

I swear it feels like it's at least a pound. I should go weigh it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wow

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

As much as everyone likes the Victorinox it looks kinda janky for a gift

I usually gift the rosewood handle chef's knife for this reason, but didn't see the option for the santoku in the 10 seconds I looked.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I've heard nothing but good things about these Dalstrong knives, and this one is a 5" santoku for roughly $45.

https://www.amazon.com/DALSTRONG-Santoku-Knife-Gladiator-German/dp/B071J1NDNZ/ref=sr_1_46?keywords=dalstrong+knives&qid=1576595529&sr=8-46

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I would steer people away from knives with finger guards, it gets in the way of sharpening and starts to stick out like a chin with regular sharpening

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I would steer people away from knives with finger guards, it gets in the way of sharpening and starts to stick out like a chin with regular sharpening

I was just about to take a screenshot of that area to say just this. Ever since I started sharpening knives I'll never again buy a knife with guards.

e: For lurkers, it's this part here:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just weighed em

Pampered Chef 7" santoku, 298 grams.

Victorinox 8" Chef knife, 178 grams.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just weighed em

Pampered Chef 7" santoku, 298 grams.

Victorinox 8" Chef knife, 178 grams.

Case santoku is 134g. It's so light and nimble, love it. The steel needs more frequent sharpening than Vic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

plester1 posted:

Edit: get the 8 quart, I debated the exact same question and don't regret getting the bigger one. Remember, while pressure cooking you can't use all of the volume, the max fill line is only about two-thirds full. A 6 qt would have been way too tiny for me. And that's as a single person who lives alone, I'm not making mass quantities of food.

Again, WHICH 8-QUART SHOULD I BUY? I posted TWO of them.

I. M. Gei posted:

Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 9-in-1, 8-Quart
Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1, 8-Quart

The canning, sous vide, yogurt making, fermenting, and pasteurizing features are all things he’d love to have; he has a big rear end ceramic pot of homemade sauerkraut fermenting in our kitchen right now. The air frying might be something he’d like, but I don’t know if he’d need the extra 2 quarts on the 8-quart models.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound a little on-edge here. This is my first Christmas where I have to buy all of my dad’s presents myself instead of leaving most of it to Mom, and I really don’t have a ton of ideas on what to get him. Plus the fact that there’s only like a week left to shop isn’t helping.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 17, 2019

coathat
May 21, 2007

Duo Evo Plus

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Again, WHICH 8-QUART SHOULD I BUY? I posted TWO of them.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound a little on-edge here. This is my first Christmas where I have to buy all of my dad’s presents myself instead of leaving most of it to Mom, and I really don’t have a ton of ideas on what to get him. Plus the fact that there’s only like a week left to shop isn’t helping.

If your dad's got a convection oven, I'd go the Evo over the Crisp for the better control scheme. Otherwise go with the Crisp (if you can find it in time).

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
also calm the gently caress down el penis

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hey, was someone looking for a CookTek?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274147853134?ul_noapp=true

Buy It Now price at 310 USD...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have that. It is amazing, best kitchen thing I own.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

coathat posted:

Duo Evo Plus

Bought it. Thanks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sorry this isn’t exactly a kitchen equipment question, although the product in question will be used in our kitchen, but the other product recommendation threads take awhile to reply to questions most of the time so I’m asking here.

Are any of the iRobot Braava Jet mops on the market now any good? We ALMOST got one for my dad last Christmas, because most of our floors are tile and he has to mop them like all the time, but pretty much everything I read about the models available at the time, of which there were only two, said they were kinda poo poo, so we decided it’d be smarter to hold off on getting one until the technology improved. Now iRobot makes FOUR models, and the reviewers at PCMag.com seem to really like the M6, which Amazon has on sale right now... but the Amazon reviews for it are giving me pause.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 19, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Canuck-Errant posted:

Hey, was someone looking for a CookTek?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274147853134?ul_noapp=true

Buy It Now price at 310 USD...

220v tho, most people dont have that in their kitchen

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

220v tho, most people dont have that in their kitchen

Wait, don't most stoves run on 220V?

e: a quick google reveals i know nothing about electrical code

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are a few things that do, like HVAC/Electric Range/Water Heaters/Dryer but it's not easily available for just a random ol' plug.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's a crying shame, because I think electric deep fryers would be a lot more effective if they could run on 220v.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I've loved the 3 years I've had my instant pot. I recently saw the ninja foodi thing that has the cool little convection oven fan that can crisp stuff up in the same bowl. So many cool meal ideas where it's all in one pot. Has anyone got one? I'm like 80% of the way to committing and buying one, and just using my instant pot as a glorified rice maker (I've nailed the ratios down and rice turns out incredible, can cook massive batches too and it's always consistent). I've been watching a tonne of review videos but they all seem slightly shilly, so getting feedback from you guys would go a lot farther. If anyone here has one, pros / cons and whether you'd recommend it please?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I did read the food processor part of the OP, but I wanted to know if there's a particular recommendation for a mini food processor that does a decent job with sauces so liquid doesn't spurt out everywhere. I'm thinking of things like one-person portions of tahini sauce, as well as small portions of nuts or vegetables.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Qubee posted:

but they all seem slightly shilly,

Look for Freakin Reviews on YT, dude is pretty thorough and honest without being negative.

I looked at them as a possible Xmas gift and my conclusion was it's probably one of the best versions of what it is but too small for more 2 people.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

I did read the food processor part of the OP, but I wanted to know if there's a particular recommendation for a mini food processor that does a decent job with sauces so liquid doesn't spurt out everywhere. I'm thinking of things like one-person portions of tahini sauce, as well as small portions of nuts or vegetables.

Ime they're all lovely. Good for rough work. Would an immersion blender work for you?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ime they're all lovely. Good for rough work. Would an immersion blender work for you?

That's a good idea, especially since I have one I totally forgot about :downs:

Jows
May 8, 2002

My mom got me a 5.5 qt air fryer for Christmas. Are these things worth it? Seems like a silly gimmick for a small convection oven with limited capacity and large countertop footprint. Convince me otherwise?
I normally cook daily for 2 adults and a toddler. Occasionally (2-3 times/month) I'll cook for an additional adult.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jows posted:

My mom got me a 5.5 qt air fryer for Christmas. Are these things worth it? Seems like a silly gimmick for a small convection oven with limited capacity and large countertop footprint. Convince me otherwise?
I normally cook daily for 2 adults and a toddler. Occasionally (2-3 times/month) I'll cook for an additional adult.

I'm firmly in the gimmick camp but my BIL loves his and says it was life changing. He cooks for himself and occasionally a guest.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Qubee posted:

So I've loved the 3 years I've had my instant pot. I recently saw the ninja foodi thing that has the cool little convection oven fan that can crisp stuff up in the same bowl. So many cool meal ideas where it's all in one pot. Has anyone got one? I'm like 80% of the way to committing and buying one, and just using my instant pot as a glorified rice maker (I've nailed the ratios down and rice turns out incredible, can cook massive batches too and it's always consistent). I've been watching a tonne of review videos but they all seem slightly shilly, so getting feedback from you guys would go a lot farther. If anyone here has one, pros / cons and whether you'd recommend it please?

It seems like a waste of money to buy the Foodi just for the added convenience of occasionally crisping things in the same machine. You'd get better value for your money out of a traditional toaster oven or something like the Instant Pot Vortex Plus.

However if you are stuck on the one-pot meals, you might want to also take a look at the Instant Pot Duo Crisp. Not sure if it's functionally better or worse than a Foodi, but I like that you can actually remove and swap the lids vs the Foodi where the convection lid is actually attached to the machine and has to swing out of the way.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My tiny sister wants a new knife for christmas. She has been using a (probably) 5" version of this https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-C7...76538837&sr=8-5 for forever, but it's time for a grown up knife now. She prefers the santoku shape and smaller size as she has small hands. She's a perfectly good everyday sort of cook, but isn't going to need to slice tomatoes paper thin or debone a chicken or anything wild. Budget not really a huge issue-$100? would be nice but if an extra $50 made a huge difference I'd spring for it. I've been very happy with my Wusthof knives and they make a santoku style-are they any good or is there something else I should be looking at? She mentioned she'd used a friend's Shun and liked it, but I know nothing about them.

I've been very happy with MAC Santoku style knives.

https://www.macknife.com/collections/santoku-knives

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Jows posted:

My mom got me a 5.5 qt air fryer for Christmas. Are these things worth it? Seems like a silly gimmick for a small convection oven with limited capacity and large countertop footprint. Convince me otherwise? normally cook daily for 2 adults and a toddler. Occasionally (2-3 times/month) I'll cook for an additional adult.

I pretty much only use mine for cooking frozen garbage (fries, popcorn chicken, mozzarella sticks) when I get home from work and I'm too lazy to make anything else, and reheating those last 4 chicken wings I couldn't finish at the bar but didn't want to throw away.

Honestly I wish I'd just bought a convection toaster oven.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there a cheap easy knife sharpening product i can buy? I'm just dipping my toes into home cooking and don't need to go all out with stones.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
edit oops

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

teraflame posted:

Is there a cheap easy knife sharpening product i can buy? I'm just dipping my toes into home cooking and don't need to go all out with stones.

I usually recommend the Spyder. It's dead simple and works really well.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
the foodi is enormous and expensive and you can buy an instant pot and convection toaster oven for less money and get the full functionality of both

air fryers are a loving scam

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you for snapping me out of it, not gonna buy the foodi. My instant pot still works fine so it's just a waste getting something I don't need cause it's got the added benefit of a convection oven lol

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teraflame posted:

I know you said you don't want to go all out with stones but a great basic starter set is the king KW65, which is is two stones glued to each other, it comes with a stand, it's the easiest thing in the world to use and you don't need anything else to get started with it. I just wasn't sure if you were imagining like a huge setup with 4 stones etc so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If you’re not really interested in buying stones but want to sharpen your knives, I’d recommend finding a place that can sharpen for you and taking them in. Prices can range between $5 and $12 per knife depending on how long it is. Other sharpening tools besides stones can cause damage and generally work very poorly.

Otherwise I’d recommend just getting a double-sided 800/1600+ grit stone off amazon. They’re relatively affordable and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Also get a honing steel to prolong the sharp edge.