Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

QuarkJets posted:

Your toxic masculinity is causing your entire family to side with the person who cheated on you and you completely deserve it

He’s acting dumb here but he doesn’t deserve to have his family invite the person he told them he didn’t want to see again into the home on a special occasion, as a surprise explicitly intended to pressure him into re-exposing himself to that person. He is justified in being hurt by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Lol at Mr. Toxic Masculinity thinking it's less emasculating to flee out the bathroom window like he's in a bad sitcom than to just tell everyone that his fiancée was a cheater.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

He’s acting dumb here but he doesn’t deserve to have his family invite the person he told them he didn’t want to see again into the home on a special occasion, as a surprise explicitly intended to pressure him into re-exposing himself to that person. He is justified in being hurt by that.

A rare "everyone sucks here" scenario.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Yes, he'd be justified in being mad at his mom for doing that regardless of the reasons. He didn't deserve to get cheated on, either. Probably she wouldn't have done any of that nonsense if he had just told her the truth from the beginning instead of trying to puff out his chest, but yeah, his mom shouldn't have done that, that's not even up for debate

But then fleeing (like a man) out of the bathroom window instead of just facing the problem adds a whole new dimension to all of this, now the reasons for the breakup don't even matter because he's acting like a weird idiot baby. He didn't want to be embarrassed, so he did something way more embarrassing and still won't speak the truth so now his entire family is disowning him because he's an idiot.

It's like he spilled a little bit of water on his pants and decided to cover up that fact by loudly announcing to everyone that he pissed his pants because he has a piss fetish.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA if I get mad at my in laws for not including any of my pictures in a photo album they gave my husband as present for Christmas?

quote:

Hi All! This happened:

My husband got a beautiful present from his parents: a photo album with printed pictures telling his story from the very beginning. Very emotional... except fron a little detail- I only appear in one of these pictures-a picture featuring four people where my face is not even visible.

More infos- my husband and I have been married for seven years and have been together for eleven. We are still madly in love and recognised as a perfect match. They have never shown any kind of hostility towards me and they have been always very kind.

The present was only for my husband and the focus was on him being a child with his family. Still there are a lot pictures with friends- there are even pictures of his ex girlfriend- Including one portrait of her alone. I understand that she’s part his story and I’m not jelous at all. My husband’s older brother was given a similar photo album for himself and in that case it featured several pictures of his wife and his marriage. It got married before i met my husband.

In my husband’s album there is even a single picture of my sister’ s wedding which they attended.

I was there when the album was given and explored page by page and frankly I was totally embarrassed when the last page was turned and I found out that I wasn’t in any of the pictures.

I didn’t say anything to them but now I can’t explain to myself. My husand didn’ t react either and now is struggling to find a justification.

AITA if I bring this up to them?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, he'd be justified in being mad at his mom for doing that regardless of the reasons. He didn't deserve to get cheated on, either. Probably she wouldn't have done any of that nonsense if he had just told her the truth from the beginning instead of trying to puff out his chest, but yeah, his mom shouldn't have done that, that's not even up for debate

But then fleeing (like a man) out of the bathroom window instead of just facing the problem adds a whole new dimension to all of this, now the reasons for the breakup don't even matter because he's acting like a weird idiot baby. He didn't want to be embarrassed, so he did something way more embarrassing and still won't speak the truth so now his entire family is disowning him because he's an idiot.

It's like he spilled a little bit of water on his pants and decided to cover up that fact by loudly announcing to everyone that he pissed his pants because he has a piss fetish.

It’s not hard to see why he looked for something else and landed on this dumb plan given that he originally did communicate honestly (not totally openly, but honestly) with his family and his mother disregarded his stated feelings. It’s only self-damaging, but so are a lot of understandable behaviors.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my friend that her baby name is not original at all, and in fact is very common?

I (21f) have a 'friend' who is pregnant with a little girl. This girl is a friend of a friend, so I see her at a lot of social events. I have never really liked her, because the first time we met she told me that I'm 'not punk enough' to have tattoos on my arms, and she has made various comments on my style (I think I'm quite grunge-punk, she's quite goth), and she comes across very 'not like other girls'. When she got pregnant, we were all happy for her. One of the first things she said is that she is thinking really hard about getting a unique baby name, one that no other kids she meets will have. Cool, I was interested to find out what she'd pick.

She announces a few weeks later that her baby will be called Aurora-Leigh. I was a bit confused as Aurora is in the top 100 baby names for where I live, and has been for a few years. She spent the whole night asking around the table if anyone knew a girl called Aurora. She kept butting into other conversations to ask, and when someone was telling a story about someone they work with, she interrupted to say 'I bet her name wasn't Aurora'.

I was getting quite annoyed because it is literally such a common name these days. If she had picked an actually unsual name, I think it would have still been annoying, but this just made it worse. The time came where she asked me if I know any Auroras. I tried to avoid the question, I said 'it doesn't matter, it's a nice name'. She rolled her eyes and asked again.

I work in a daycare and I know of FOUR Auroras who come in often. I told her this and she called me a liar. So I googled most common baby names of this year, and showed her that Aurora was on there this year. And every year for the past 6 years. She basically started sobbing and said I was jealous of her and she left. I was there like what the gently caress, and a couple of my friends said I should just apologise, and that I went overboard showing her all the baby name lists.

AITA?

The OP should have been pleasant afterwards and said " Here are a couple substitutes for names, and you still get to keep the hyphenation: Orah-Leigh and Ainah-Leigh, enjoy!". Problem solved.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

he originally did communicate honestly (not totally openly, but honestly) with his family

No he didn’t. Straight from the post:

quote:

So I never told anyone that was the reason we broke up. (...) They just see that I dumped her out of the blue.
Look, if you’ve been dating someone for 4 years and were serious enough to get engaged and set a wedding date, then suddenly break up, people are absolutely going to expect at least a tiny bit of explanation as to what happened...especially when the ex is calling his mom telling a different story that it was ‘completely unexpected’ and ‘out of the blue’.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Cheating guy is definitely a big dumb idiot, but it also sounds like his family is terrible too so they should all just murder suicide each other in the spirit of the holidays.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MagusofStars posted:

No he didn’t. Straight from the post:

Look, if you’ve been dating someone for 4 years and were serious enough to get engaged and set a wedding date, then suddenly break up, people are absolutely going to expect at least a tiny bit of explanation as to what happened...especially when the ex is calling his mom telling a different story that it was ‘completely unexpected’ and ‘out of the blue’.

He didn’t lie to them, is what I meant. He didn’t tell the whole truth, but he didn’t lie—and when you’re close to someone it’s important to remember and accept that they may not be telling you the whole truth 100% of the time and they may have their own reasons for that, and some things take time to feel okay to talk about.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It sucks to have your family side with the cheater over you on Christmas but the image of a grown man crawling out a window to avoid having a difficult conversation is some Frasier style poo poo :lol:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for photoshopping out my (32M) girlfriend’s (28F) tattoo in a family Christmas card?

quote:

My family has always sent out Christmas cards to friends and family. It’s mom, dad, me, my siblings and significant others. This year my girlfriend was in the picture as we are getting serious and plan on marrying next year.

My girlfriend has a tattoo on the outside of her wrist. It’s not a bad tattoo and it’s pretty discreet but I photoshopped it out in the Christmas card as it will be sent to a lot of older relatives with conservative views.

When the card arrived my girlfriend noticed the missing tattoo she was very upset with me and I don’t understand why. I haven’t even asked her to remove it, I simply deleted it from the picture as to keep relatives happy.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for photoshopping out the tattoo?

Whenever they don't tell us what the tattoo is, I assume it's a snake the length of the ex's penis

Pinecone Sample fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 25, 2019

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for an immature man to be so upset over being cheated on by the person they wanted to spend their life with that they would try to remove all trace of the person from their life fullstop and not want to talk about it. It's certainly not the right way to go about it but his reasoning doesn't scream of toxic masculinity to me, just immaturity.
+Points in my book for dipping out through a window I did similar poo poo in high school

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
He totally played himself, he even says in the comments his family doesn't believe Sarah cheated, because why would he not mention it all after the poo poo that's happened since they broke up. At this point even if Sarah fucks off and moves on, he may have lost his family for good. Judging the situation from outside it seems more likely that HE cheated or did something equally stupid, and that Sarah was willing to forgive him, but he's too much a coward to confront her and apologize. She's manipulating his family and life, and he's just allowing her to, because god forbid no one thinks he can't satisfy a woman like a true alpha would.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

his reasoning doesn't scream of toxic masculinity to me, just immaturity.
+Points in my book for dipping out through a window I did similar poo poo in high school

"The problem was that being cheated on is, in my mind, completely emasculating and humiliating"
that doesn't scream of toxic masculinity to you?

the concept of things being "completely emasculating" is inherently some toxic masculinity poo poo and i have no sympathy whatsoever for this man who has internalized so much poo poo about how important it is to never, ever be "emasculated" in public that he thinks it's less humiliating to climb out a loving window than -- and i can GUARANTEE, since he calls it emasculating, this is his real issue with it -- admit that a woman he possessed let another man possess her and he didn't murder them both for this violation of his rights of possession

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

admit that a woman he possessed let another man possess her and he didn't murder them both for this violation of his rights of possession

Wow. This thread sometimes, lol.

I think feeling humiliated is very common for people who have been cheated on, and this does apply to both genders, at least to a point. I wouldn't get quite so distracted by his use of the term 'emasculating.' Think less along the lines of property and, uh, murder, and more 'I trusted a person and committed to them and they didn't reciprocate.'

New Coke fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 25, 2019

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

InediblePenguin posted:

"The problem was that being cheated on is, in my mind, completely emasculating and humiliating"

the concept of things being "completely emasculating" is inherently some toxic masculinity poo poo and i have no sympathy whatsoever for this man who has internalized so much poo poo about how important it is to never, ever be "emasculated" in public that he thinks it's less humiliating to climb out a loving window than -- and i can GUARANTEE, since he calls it emasculating, this is his real issue with it -- admit that a woman he possessed let another man possess her and he didn't murder them both for this violation of his rights of possession

emasculate means "deprive (a man) of his male role or identity" according to google. when a woman cheats on a man in a relationship, that man is being deprived of his role in the relationship. unless you're trying to make some argument that masculinity or being male doesn't exist or something

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Him feeling humiliated and destroyed immediately after it happened is completely standard and relatable. As is just not wanting to deal with poo poo in the immediate aftermath as well, thus his shutting down on everyone. What makes me think that his emasculated comment is really relevant is, his ex doesn't just eventually gently caress off and move on. She then proceeds to show up everywhere, more specifically around his family manipulating the story and driving into a favorable light for herself, and he does absolutely nothing to stop this or counter it. Jumping out a loving window instead of just yelling at your family to stop hanging around with your cheating ex fiance, can't be the correct choice.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Honestly I think it's pretty toxic in itself to believe that feeling emasculated is only possible due to toxic masculinity.

E: also his ex was enough of an rear end in a top hat to cheat on him, the most reasonable conclusion is that she's continuing to be an rear end in a top hat and lying to his family, not that the guy is somehow responsible for it all just because he doesn't have the ability to talk to his family about it.

Problem Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 25, 2019

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Problem Sleuth posted:

Honestly I think it's pretty toxic in itself to believe that feeling emasculated is only possible due to toxic masculinity.

When you're feeling so emasculated that you let a crazy person run/ruin your life, and you find yourself jumping out a window instead of dealing with a problem that would have taken all of 5 embarrassing seconds to take care of, yes you're probably taking this whole MAN thing a bit to seriously.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

LethalGeek posted:

Hold on, let's remember goons in this thread absolutely project their poo poo onto a story

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Live in Boyfriend (53M) Got Really Mad At Me (23F) for Going Out with Friends/Coworkers Few Days Ago and He Even Threatened to Break Up with Me on Christmas

quote:

Hello again reddit!! First of all, I just want to greet everyone Merry Christmas and I hope you have a wonderful Holiday!! It’s not my first time to ask redditors for advice.

Here is my problem: My live in partner got really mad at me for going out with friends/coworkers although I told him nicely that I’m going out with them and I’ll let him know when I’m coming home. This rarely happens maybe we hung out last april so I just want to catch up with them. It was unplanned that me and my friends/colleagues were having a karaoke. I told my boyfriend immediately about this and that I wanted to go. He initially said yes but later on, he started to get angry at me especially when I told him that I might come home at midnight. I didn’t drink much I just sang on the karaoke. He called me and started to curse me like “gently caress you bitch” etc. He even accused me of cheating on one of my male friends although I didn’t talk to this guy in the karaoke party. When I got home he yelled at me most of the time and slammed doors at me.

The next day, which is today, he is still mad at me. He accused me of being a liar because he knew that there was a guy on the karaoke party. I also thought last night that we were all girls but my male friend was already there when I got there. I didn’t really know that he was going to be there so I didn’t talk to him all evening that I was there because my boyfriend doesn’t like it when I talk to my male friends. I am afraid to apologize to him because he might get even angrier at me. He even threatened to break up with me because of this. I feel so stressed out on a Christmas Eve because he’s still mad at me. I get punished for something I didn’t do. My Christmas is starting to get sad and I wanna cry now because I can’t be with my family because he might think that I’m cheating on him although I’ve never done anything to ruin our relationship. 😭😭😭

Tl/dr; my live in boyfriend got mad at me because I went out with friends few days ago and even threatened to break up with me because of this. How should I deal with this??

quote:

Not actually. He doesn’t have a job and I work full time to meet our needs. I’m also worried that he might end up homeless and even die of starvation because he’s used to having a decent life.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

ad090 posted:

When you're feeling so emasculated that you let a crazy person run/ruin your life, and you find yourself jumping out a window instead of dealing with a problem that would have taken all of 5 embarrassing seconds to take care of, yes you're probably taking this whole MAN thing a bit to seriously.

Oh I agree that he's very immature and has some major communication issues, I just don't know that I buy that it's all due to toxic masculinity just because he described himself as emasculated. Either way, I feel bad for him that he's so unable to communicate that his family is going to take the side of his ex who cheated on him more than I feel angry at him for succumbing to toxic masculine ideals. Which, as I'm thinking about it, you're probably right is the ultimate cause of his dumb actions.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Problem Sleuth posted:

nope

i think any use of the special word to mean "his feelings are hurt but in a uniquely male way that's only for men and only masculine male men can ever experience or understand this uniquely manly hurt" is toxic

and lmfao somebody loving quoting the loving dictionary definition at me as if that's a loving argument

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Relationships: Getting in an argument with a dictionary over the meaning of a word

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Believe it or not sex is, in fact, a big part of your sex.

A common way cheaters deflect the blame from themselves is saying it's their victim's fault because the victim didnt satisfy the cheater. It's no different than if a woman felt like less of a woman if they got cheated on. Because what happened directly correlates to their sex+sexuality.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hot takes, cool eggnog

Stay great, thread

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Problem Sleuth posted:

Could you give a couple examples of emasculating events that aren't rooted in toxic masculinity/enforced gender roles?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think the dude has communication issues and some SERIOUS social anxiety. He panicked. And he's afraid to be real with his family. Hard to tell from the story, but I would guess that is because his family has showed him in the past that it is not emotionally safe to be vulnerable and open with them. Case in point is that his mom persisted in meddling despite his requests now to and his sister thinks he's a liar when he broke down crying and told her that his girlfriend cheated.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dienes posted:

Could you give a couple examples of emasculating events that aren't rooted in toxic masculinity/enforced gender roles?

FoolyCharged posted:

Believe it or not sex is, in fact, a big part of your sex.

Literally anything related to sex. ED, not satisfying your partner, not being satisfied by your partner, kinks, and so on.

In the same way a woman feeling like less of one after a miscarriage is also not sexist because trauma directly relating to their sex just occurred. It's not logical. It's not correct. But it's ok to feel that way in response and work through it.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

Dienes posted:

Sure. I think a positive masculine ideal is to be able to face your fears. Finding oneself in a scary situation and acting cowardly could be emasculating to someone who sees themselves as a brave man. I think the question of whether it's possible to be emasculated in a way that isn't rooted in toxicity is more a question of whether there exist masculinities that aren't themselves toxic, and whether failing to live up to them would feel emasculating in a society that wasn't rooted in toxic masculinity. I think the answer to the first question is yes, absolutely, but I'm open to the idea that the specific feeling of emasculation might only exist due to toxic masculinity.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Given the family’s response to keep the ex girlfriend around even after they split and refusing to believe him after he finally musters the courage to come clean, it makes sense that the guy is dealing with a ton of jumbled emotions and has no healthy outlet to help process and move on. Being betrayed by a loved one sucks and the story portrays a family that helped actively shape his ideas about bottling emotions up and being a failure if things don’t work out.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for getting a blood drive cancelled?

I’ll preface it with the fact this happened last spring but I still think about it, so.

So, at my school, the National Honor Society (NHS) does a Red Cross blood drive each year. My calculus teacher at the time was the teacher sponsor for the NHS, and she offered 10 extra credit points to anyone who would donate blood.

Here it is important to note that I have a few different blood issues, including a bloodborne disease that make it unable for me to donate blood, at all. All of these diagnoses have tons of medical documentation behind them, and I regularly have to get procedures done and take medication for them, which is known to the school. My blood would be as usable as someone who has HIV+ blood would be. I have never tried to donate blood, but I know that I would not be able to, per my doctors and the Red Cross guidelines.

I went to my teacher and explained I cannot donate blood because of these medical issues, but I would like the points. I offered to volunteer at the drive for an hour or so, which I felt was comparable because oh boy, those points would come in handy, and likely bump my grade up.

She refuses, and said the points are only for people who donate blood.

Here’s where I think I may be the rear end in a top hat. I called my mom, who called the school, and went ballistic, threatening to sue for discrimination, etc etc. I’m talking the fires of hell must have broken loose on whoever poor soul picked up that telephone. I am not sure exactly what was said on the phone call, but I have been on the receiving end of that firey temper more then once, and I can only imagine that receiver must have been smoking when she was done.

Long story short, the school ended up forcing NHS to cancel the blood drive, and the teacher obviously then had to cancel the extra credit. On one hand, I think I was right, because I know very well it was wrong of the teacher to do that and not accommodate for my poor genetics. On the other, I feel bad, because I am well aware that blood is in short supply, and that likely that could have been used to save someone’s life, and I should have put my own feelings aside so we could get the blood drive

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Judging by how the sister reacted, I don't blame the dude for escaping through the window since there was no way that confrontation was going to end well if everyone was already on the ex's side.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

How about the psycho ex in that story trying to worm her way back in after cheating on the dude.

Weird how his sister basically reacted by telling him to man up I wonder where his toxic masculinity comes from and why he doesnt want to own up to being cheated on to his family

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 25, 2019

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting a blood drive cancelled?

Clearly not the rear end in a top hat. It sucks that the blood drive was cancelled, but that's on the school, it makes no sense that they did that in response.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
kid's not even wrong, that's straight up discrimination. all the teacher had to do was provide the kid an alternative way to get the extra credit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

New Coke posted:

Clearly not the rear end in a top hat. It sucks that the blood drive was cancelled, but that's on the school, it makes no sense that they did that in response.

Anytime the word "discrimination" is uttered near an educational facility, all staff within 10 miles break out into a cold sweat and assume the fetal position. They will go into full Nuke From Orbit mode if there is any chance of someone, somewhere, for some reason, voicing the idea that they were discriminated against.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

That teacher was an unethical rear end in a top hat for offering extra credit for something wholly unrelated to the class, and a discriminatory piece if poo poo for dismissing the OP and I would not be surprised if she decided to take her ball and go home when someone asked her to drop the extra credit and said "well I'll just cancel the blood drive then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Problem Sleuth posted:

E: also his ex was enough of an rear end in a top hat to cheat on him, the most reasonable conclusion is that she's continuing to be an rear end in a top hat and lying to his family, not that the guy is somehow responsible for it all just because he doesn't have the ability to talk to his family about it.

No one is saying that you can't feel emasculated when someone hurts you, you're misunderstanding.

He explains that his emasculation is why he can't tell his family. He's so worried about his manly image in front of his mom that he'd rather get disowned than spend a minute explaining what really happened. That's toxic, his obsession over an imagined loss of manliness is figuratively hurting him