Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Light Gun Man posted:

let me ask this: why is C-3P0 forbidden by programming to translate Sith?

Who decided that? Anakin? He built him, didn't he? why would he program that?

OK if not Anakin, the rebels? why would they program that? Why would they not have just jailbroken him before now?

Did Palpatine declare this a law? If so, why did the Rebels apply that patch, or whatever?

This is a never before heard of problem that seems to exist only so they have to go to the planet where Poe knows a lady he totally probably was hetero with in the past and is thus not gay

Who made C-3P0 fluent in over six million forms of communication or gave him his first job programming binary load lifters 'cos I don't think it was Anakin Skywalker.

Outside the movie environment the RLM guys are probably right, it's likely just Anthony Daniels demanding a heroic sacrifice moment for his character given he isn't likely to get to play C-3P0 again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm glad I ran through all the spoilers beforehand, I think it helps to already know going in what specific dumb stuff happens so you can appreciate it for what it is rather than lament the 1000+ missed opportunities.

Honestly, if I didn't pre-read the spoilers I would have had no idea what was happening in the movie. It was just that much of a speeding mess.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I wish C-3PO had a mental breakdown just before the memory wipe and just let loose on everyone: "I'll gladly erase all my memories because you motherfuckers are all assholes who've treated me like poo poo all these years!" *Points* "gently caress you, gently caress you, you're cool, and gently caress you. Kiss my shiny gold droid rear end. C-3PO out!" *bzzzzzz*

Blistex posted:

Honestly, if I didn't pre-read the spoilers I would have had no idea what was happening in the movie. It was just that much of a speeding mess.

There is exactly one line in the entire movie that explains that there exists a cult that worships the dark side and even then I thought he was just comparing the Sith to a cult so at the end I was still scratching my head when that giant crowd appeared in the Emperor's temple.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

There is exactly one line in the entire movie that explains that there exists a cult that worships the dark side and even then I thought he was just comparing the Sith to a cult so at the end I was still scratching my head when that giant crowd appeared in the Emperor's temple.

That's one line of explanation more than 99% of the confounding poo poo got in ROS got.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Poe should have been gay.

The whole movie should have been gay.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
A super-weird thing I noticed was that in the first half of the movie I felt like most of the shots were framed too tightly, like everything was just a little too close to the camera. It's not something you'd really notice on a video screen (TV shows are often shot like this) but in the theater I had to try to ignore it.

That's not the weird part, though. The weird part is that I've always maintained this EXACT thing was the case in Episode III and I swear to god it's like JJ Abrams did this on purpose out of tradition or whatever. :stare:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Tunicate posted:

he says that droids were modified to not translate sith becuase of some law passed by the galatic senate, so probably it's just DRM on his language computer

This makes total sense. After all, archeologists are prohibited from learning ancient Assyrian by law in the EU today so that nobody reads about their atrocities that happened three thousand years ago and accidentally becomes evil

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
But droids are much more susceptible to evil conditioning. Threepio had his head put in on a battle droid in Ep2 and became a total pill, just a real trash-fire of a robut.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A super-weird thing I noticed was that in the first half of the movie I felt like most of the shots were framed too tightly, like everything was just a little too close to the camera. It's not something you'd really notice on a video screen (TV shows are often shot like this) but in the theater I had to try to ignore it.

That's not the weird part, though. The weird part is that I've always maintained this EXACT thing was the case in Episode III and I swear to god it's like JJ Abrams did this on purpose out of tradition or whatever. :stare:

You're not crazy I noticed this in episode 3 as well.

The shot of all the not-xwings in formation in particular is waaaay too zoomed in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
movie needed an fov slider

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

movie needed an fov slider

:hmmyes:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why did the Endor Star Destroyers stop working?

JJ says that Flynn was trying to tell Ray that he could feel the Force as they were sinking. That can’t be right, can it?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he felt the force (in his pants)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Why did the Endor Star Destroyers stop working?

because they were magic Star Destroyers and made out of the force. once the emperor dies they ran out of mana

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The movies hinted from the very beginning that Finn was Force sensitive. They just never did anything meaningful with it, like his abandoning of the First Order. He should have spent Last Jedi getting First Order troopers to turn and then this movie turning them into proto Force warriors or something. Just go totally wuxia with it.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 25, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

The movies hinted from the very beginning that Finn was Force sensitive. They just never did anything meaningful with it, like his abandoning of the First Order. He should have spent Last Jedi getting First Order troopers to turn and then this movie turning them into proto Force warriors or something. Just go totally wushu with it.

Sorry this wasnt a plot beat from episodes IV-VI, no can do.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Barudak posted:

Sorry this wasnt a plot beat from episodes IV-VI, no can do.

This is really the most frustrating thing for me. They hint at a bunch of stuff that could end up being cool ideas and then refuse to commit because it wasn't in the OT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is really the most frustrating thing for me. They hint at a bunch of stuff that could end up being cool ideas and then refuse to commit because it wasn't in the OT.

Could have had an interesting trilogy about three nobodies building up the forces necessary to beat a reborn imperial threat of inherited power but instead the plots a mess and everyone still uses the exact same xwings as 20 years prior.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Barudak posted:

Could have had an interesting trilogy about three nobodies building up the forces necessary to beat a reborn imperial threat of inherited power but instead the plots a mess and everyone still uses the exact same xwings as 20 years prior.

Uhh excuse me these x-wings are T-95 instead of T-65, which you can tell by the streamlined nacelles (less drag in space vacuum) and garish colors. Just like you can identify the new trilogy by the streamlined characters (less protrusions like "personality" and "motives" to drag the pace) and garish colors.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Would the movie have been better or worse with more space wizard ghosts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Ghost of Luke just hanging out and doing regular stuff deeply invalidates his sacrifice at the end of TLJ.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

This makes total sense. After all, archeologists are prohibited from learning ancient Assyrian by law in the EU today so that nobody reads about their atrocities that happened three thousand years ago and accidentally becomes evil

Oh right because ancient assyrians are the absolute epitome of EVIL in our culture today.

What it was is like when Gandalf speaks the black tongue in rivendell and it gives elrond a headache.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The Ghost of Luke just hanging out and doing regular stuff deeply invalidates his sacrifice at the end of TLJ.

his ghost was doing stuff before he even died in TLJ

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Torquemada posted:

The whole movie should have been gay.

good news!

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
this movie beats the poo poo out of cats though

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idk I saw some cats posters last night and lemme tell you it looks like a solid movie

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Did someone already explain why the exploding star destroyer shown over endor during the celebration scene appeared to have been cut lengthwise in half? Did someone do the ol hyperspace chop to it?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

JJ Abrams wiki page says he was in the propellerheads? 🤨

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hillary 2020 posted:

Who made C-3P0 fluent in over six million forms of communication or gave him his first job programming binary load lifters 'cos I don't think it was Anakin Skywalker.

He's a standard protocol droid like the one at the start of TPM, Anakin just put a bunch of spare parts together and redid some wiring. I don't know how people came away thinking Anain had invented a sentient mechanical person. He added the rocket boots and stun gun but everything else was factory standard.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Speaking of C-3PO, it seems like they really pulled their punch with the "memory wipe" drama for no real reason. It's the last installment of a saga, just loving kill the robot you cowards.

Chewie for that matter too.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Nobody’s buying a dead character’s toys

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pompous magnet posted:

Nobody’s buying a dead character’s toys

Boba Fett sold toys for decades.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why was there so much backpedaling in this movie?

First of all, Palpatine's not dead. Also he created a super fleet capable of conquering the galaxy fully staffed with evil minions supported by a planet made up of lightning storms.

Chewbacca dies. Sike, he was on different ship.

C3P0 gets his memory wiped and effectively becomes dead. Nope they had a back up of his memory.

Poe's exgirlfriend dies. Nope she's fine, even her fun tiny buddy is okay!

The galaxy doesn't care about the resistance. actually, they just didn't care about Leia and were more willing to help Lando apparently.

Rey dies. No she gets revived by Ben. I kind of wanted them to take turns reviving each other until they found that nice medium where they could both be half alive and limp out of there. Ben slumping over actually made my theatre laugh out loud.

That's another thing, for a Disney movie I found my theatre surprisingly unamused by a lot of the jokes, with the ben death getting the biggest (unintentional) laugh.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

Boba Fett sold toys for decades.

boba fett isnt dead he has his own TV show now

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Away all Goats posted:

Why was there so much backpedaling in this movie?

Because it was made to the specifications of rich pussies

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

Uhh excuse me these x-wings are T-95 instead of T-65, which you can tell by the streamlined nacelles (less drag in space vacuum) and garish colors. Just like you can identify the new trilogy by the streamlined characters (less protrusions like "personality" and "motives" to drag the pace) and garish colors.

this needs more love

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Finn: Red 5 is in the air!
goon lord next to me in the theater, after viciously assaulting his massive bucket of popcorn for 2 hours: RED 5 WAS LUKE'S CALL-SIGN, NOT HIS SHIP'S REGISTRATION NUMBER

for real, the loving angry eating noises that man made. My god.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

"Red 5" was actually Luke's nickname, given for his notoriety around the Yavin barracks for masturbating until his hand chafed.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Do y'all emptyquote in GBS? Is that acceptable?

Breakfast All Day posted:

"Red 5" was actually Luke's nickname, given for his notoriety around the Yavin barracks for masturbating until his hand chafed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Empty quote is a time- honored posting tradition. Only a coward uses :emptyquote: or says "not empty quoting" out of fear (it's ok as a style choice).